Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/5/2012 11:07:03 PM   
Tarhunnas

In the south, some maneuvering and an attack on a Hungarian brigade breaks the pocket in two places, isolating the panzer spearhead. But my frontline is reduced to a weak screen. A breakthrough towards Kharkov is a distinct possibility, and I have not had time and/or rail cap to evacuate the place!

Map after Soviet moves.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 6/5/2012 11:08:37 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 151
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 1:38:40 PM   
Zonso

Michael T is a bloody machine, very impressive. He is clearly in a league of his own, making all average German players very humble indeed. I think the theory fostered by some that he stacks the deck is a hollow cry and doesn't negate how skilled a player he really is. Taking shots at Michael T here is a disservice to him and the community.

I'm curious now what the Red Army numbers are. I do agree with what you said earlier that certain play styles match up well and that you can fight forward against some opponents. I think that is an advantage of the game though I'm still of the opinion the tipping point for either side is too precarious and it seems once over there may be no coming back. We will see.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 152
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 2:26:40 PM   
notenome

very strong turn by you Tarhunnas, you definetly made lemonade with that turn 7. That said I fear you may be making a mistake up north by defending to the west of the novgorod line.

Also this game totally has a Soviet bias.

< Message edited by notenome -- 6/6/2012 2:27:45 PM >

(in reply to Zonso)
Post #: 153
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 3:20:04 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: notenome

very strong turn by you Tarhunnas, you definetly made lemonade with that turn 7.

Thanks, but I think it is not enough. I have lost too much already!

quote:

That said I fear you may be making a mistake up north by defending to the west of the novgorod line.

I think you are right. I won't be able to hold Leningrad anyway, so I should probably just cut my losses.

quote:

Also this game totally has a Soviet bias.

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 154
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 4:43:34 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

I think you are right. I won't be able to hold Leningrad anyway, so I should probably just cut my losses.

Am I right you think LGD definitively is lost ? If so, what arguments AGAINST GIVING IT UP NOW ? And I mean retire with everything that can move. We see a professional in pocketing who might grab Leningrad AND units. You can't move Leningrad, but units you can (of which you're short of everywhere else). Of course the Fins will be freed, but I am not so sure that any attempt to delay up north is worth the price.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 155
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 4:45:54 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

quote:

Am I right you think LGD definitively is lost ? If so, what arguments AGAINST GIVING IT UP NOW ? And I mean retire with everything that can move. We see a professional in pocketing who might grab Leningrad AND units. You can't move Leningrad, but units you can (of which you're short of everywhere else). Of course the Fins will be freed, but I am not so sure that any attempt to delay up north is worth the price.

If I give it up too easily, that panzer group will go hunting somewhere else. So the trick is to strike a balance. Make him use as much force as possible while not losing too much.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 156
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 4:57:25 PM   
Balou

I can't see anything covering the lower Volkhov river. If he's going for a LGD pocket, it could become a rather large one. And with low (?) fort levels, he's not going to need a lot of power from Pz/Mot Divs anyway.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 157
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 5:16:37 PM   
hfarrish

Is the industry out of Leningrad? One thing to consider is that trying to move a huge quantity of troops out now will drain the ability to evac industry - I tend to prefer doing a phased withdrawal rather than simply pulling up stakes and bugging out. This keeps him fighting to some extent up there, gets most of your men out and doesn't overtax the rails.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 158
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 5:18:23 PM   
hfarrish

Of course, it doesn't look like there is much up there period in terms of serious manpower...out of curiosity, Tarhunnas, why so many FZs on Leningrad? Seems like an awful lot of APs to give up for a city you would be unlikely to hold no matter who the opponent was...

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 159
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 5:20:38 PM   
Balou

Both of you are probably right. And I have to correct myself, for Michael T is such a fox. He's very low on Pzs, so this whole LGD maneuver could easily be a feint in order to dislodge the Sovs from there almost for free.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 160
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 5:52:26 PM   
governato

The FZs in Leningrad are useful only to bring the fort level up to 3 and need other units with a high construction value (25+, check on the right hand side of the TOE screen) to get the job done. They do not do much by themselves.
Once an hex gets to Fort level 3 the FZ should be disbanded (it takes at least to Turn 14 to get to Level 4). A cheap way to save on evacuating troops would be to lower the max TOE to say 75%. That would prevent too many reinforcements to be sent to LGD but will keep the units in ready status. Also, refit only the LGD units with morale 45+. Merging depleted units is another option as space shrinks.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 161
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 6:04:02 PM   
hfarrish

Right...and unless you are really going to commit to defending the space I'm not sure they accomplish much, since they won't get far without units to be digging in tandem. That said I could be missing something.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 162
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 6:09:32 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Of course, it doesn't look like there is much up there period in terms of serious manpower...out of curiosity, Tarhunnas, why so many FZs on Leningrad? Seems like an awful lot of APs to give up for a city you would be unlikely to hold no matter who the opponent was...

I usually try to hold the place, so I built them early, but in retrospect, they were probably a bad investment,

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 163
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 6:14:01 PM   
Tarhunnas

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

Is the industry out of Leningrad? One thing to consider is that trying to move a huge quantity of troops out now will drain the ability to evac industry - I tend to prefer doing a phased withdrawal rather than simply pulling up stakes and bugging out. This keeps him fighting to some extent up there, gets most of your men out and doesn't overtax the rails.

The important industry is out. IIRC a few ARM left and the veichle factory and the BA factory.

I never use rails to bring troops out, I use rails to move troops to the front!

Seriously, moving troops, infantry anyway, is so cheap it hardly affects the rail cap.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 164
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 6:27:36 PM   
governato

quote:

Seriously, moving troops, infantry anyway, is so cheap it hardly affects the rail cap.

True! But once he gets close to the 'backdoor' then moving units in/out by rail will be difficult.

Btw, A FZ alone has a construction value of 15/turn. It takes 200 'Unmodified' Construction Points (possibly spread over a few turns) to go from Level 2 to Level 3. So a FZ needs additional units and SUs to dig.
A FZ +3 sapper Rgmts + 2 good IDs together have about 120-140 CPs. Then it'd take another ~ 8 turns to get to a level 4 FZ as it need 5 times more CPs (15.3.2.1).

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 165
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 6:51:48 PM   
Encircled

I'm not sure that this is the place to have a go at Michael T, but the criticisms levelled by Flaviusx and Tullius are very valid.

Tarhunnas knows what he is doing, and he's being destroyed. He's tied by house rules that are completely in favour of the Germans in '41.

At the very least, you have to play with non-random weather to give the Russians a chance, especially with the complete logistical fantasy that is being used.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 166
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 7:11:35 PM   
Balou

Don't you think Tarhunnas did know what he was doing when accepting the rules ? I think he knew. And he accepted.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 167
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 7:32:45 PM   
Encircled

If he accepted to debunk once and for all the theory that the Germans are biased against in this game, then fair play to him.

I think he thought that they wouldn't affect the game that much.

This game proves that its a killer for the Russians.

Whatever floats peoples boats, but its supposed to be a contest between two players, not a total massacre.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 168
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 8:15:03 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Don't you think Tarhunnas did know what he was doing when accepting the rules ? I think he knew. And he accepted.

He thought he knew... Now he knows For all I care this should help the game so fair play.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 169
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 8:20:00 PM   
Balou

quote:

I think he thought that they wouldn't affect the game that much.

Maybe Tarhunnas could answer to that. Because I consider this AAR as one of the most interesting I've ever seen. 2 vets, a set of rules that largely forces the Sovs to do as their historical counterparts (copyright TD), and the Axis which does what they should/could have done.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 170
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 10:17:03 PM   
randallw

Is it not ironic that some people who are the most vocal about parts of the game that seem to favor the Soviets win, as the Axis, again and again?

Maybe it's just from that they spend so much time playing and study everything.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 171
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 10:18:54 PM   
Encircled

Oh, its a fascinating AAR

Its going to be a rather short one I fear though!

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 172
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/6/2012 10:42:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

a set of rules that largely forces the Sovs to do as their historical counterparts (copyright TD), and the Axis which does what they should/could have done.

Eh!!?? Not sure you are really interested in improving the game I guess Michael T should have been appointed as Boss-in-Chief of the Wehrmacht... "Herr Hitler, step aside. Danke..."

Really sorry to hijack the AAR, Tarhunnas

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 173
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/7/2012 11:04:31 PM   
Tarhunnas

Turn 8. Map before Soviet moves.

My front is falling apart. Panzers are crashing through the lines everywhere. Michael T seems to have switched to a raiding strategy, quite rightly I would say, as the bulk of the Red Army has been destroyed. Kharkov is taken, as I feared, and Leningrad cut off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 174
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/7/2012 11:07:46 PM   
Tarhunnas

The pockets are looser now, and I can break most of them, but I am afraid it will only bring temporary relief. I get an opportunity to try out the nifty paradrop pocket closer to isolate his panzers and break the pocket (west of Orel). Map after Soviet moves.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 6/7/2012 11:08:06 PM >

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 175
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/7/2012 11:08:59 PM   
Tarhunnas

Losses turn 8.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 176
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) - 6/7/2012 11:09:39 PM   
Tarhunnas

OOB turn 8.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 177
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II - 6/7/2012 11:17:11 PM   
Tarhunnas

Michael T has offered for me to surrender. I will accept. We did say no quitting, so I was prepared to continue to a computer generated end, but I am happy to accept his offer. I see no way to turn this around.

Michael T is really an outstanding player! Hat off to my opponent! It is extremely embarrassing to have been utterly crushed in 8 turns! I think I will give this up and pick up croquet or something.

I have invited Michael T to comment on the AAR.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 178
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II - 6/7/2012 11:50:41 PM   
M60A3TTS

All due congrats to Michael T for an efficient conquest by a highly skilled player. That said, a lesser Axis player would have accomplished the same thing, just in a longer span of time. The isolation rules of WiTE does not allow the Red Army to fight a forward defense stategy. Anything along those lines is suicide, plain and simple. I was surprised when Flavius said he would not accept the rules as the Axis player because of the winter rules/conditions. I never felt the Soviet player would stand a chance to make it that far, or if he had his army would have been so gutted as to make an effective blizzard offensive all but impossible.

In any case, this doesn't take away from the fact that you're an excellent player too, Tarhunnas. Hats off for accepting the offer to act as human sacrifice in this grand experiment.

(in reply to Tarhunnas)
Post #: 179
RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II - 6/8/2012 12:03:03 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Attachment (1)

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Great Patriotic AAR II (No Michael T please) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI