Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 2:31:41 PM   
malkuth74

Sorry but I love this game and all, but the system you guys use for downloading your games are totally terrible. I don't understand why its so difficult to re-download your games after either a hardrive failure, or new system or really anything.

The links only last a few days and when you try to Download the games again you have to contact support for help. Well the problem with this is that Distant world now has 3 different downloads! Send my email off with all the proof that I purchased all three products. Get one email back that has new download for Legends... Send off another email saying I need the download for The BASE GAME and shakturi. Get another email back with just shakturi.

Still no base game. Send another email off saying I need the base game! Still after almost 5 days of getting my email off I still can't play this game again.

I don't understand why its so difficult.. If I buy a download game Like on Steam, Gamersgate, or any other didgital download area I can get my game anytime..

But this system is terrible. I sorry, 80 Dollars in games and I have to jump through hoops to get the game. Backups? Sure I do it all the time.. Then when I try to use the DVD it never works. Don't know why, but thats what happens.

The system needs to be changed and be more friendly.. Right now its not anything but a headache for the customer.

At this point I think Im getting the run around on the base game since I bought it before you guys went to this new system. Doesn't matter that I purchased the extended download protection when I bought the original game it seems with the old system.

Grrrrr.
Post #: 1
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 3:20:34 PM   
solops

How odd. I think their download system is great and it is one of the reasons they are my favorite company. Their customer service has always been outstanding for me. Perhaps your requests for help were made during the past holiday weekend? If so, a delayed response is to be expected.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 2
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 3:30:03 PM   
Velihopea

What? Don't they have bought games linked to customer profile and readily available (re-)downloads??

Do I have to print the game keys for bought games to have proof of a purchase in case of re-download?

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 3
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 4:58:30 PM   
BTJ

Indeed they have the links available if you log in to the Matrix Store. Just one click and download starts for all the games and patches. Can't see the problem...

(in reply to Velihopea)
Post #: 4
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 5:56:39 PM   
malkuth74

No they dont those links are for the patches not the actual games. And any games you bought on the old system are not held. Anyway still don't have the base game download available to me. If you read the plimus system download links for the actual games.. NOT PATCHES are only available for 24 hours or three tries. Then you have to contact them to reactivate the links.

The problem is I sent all the info all at once.. (yes I keep my emaails where I bought the game and order numbers) I have already gotten the expansion which were bought on the new Plimus system they used. But the original game which you need to play The expansion was on the old matrixgames purchase system. Its a sucky system and I need my game back. Its that simple I payed for a download game I want the game.

(in reply to BTJ)
Post #: 5
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 6:46:20 PM   
malkuth74

Another email sent off to support. Its getting real old real fast. Last time I buy anything from matrix games. Sorry but this is bull crap.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 6
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 8:40:33 PM   
malkuth74

Uggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!! LOL so I come back and my email has a message... Download link reactivated.. YAY.... BUT NO..... NOPE its yet again for just Distant Worlds Legends.

How hard can it be to get me the right goddam download link I have all the information in the message I sent with order number and info and the name of the dam game in the system. This is totally not cool. And im about the flip the frack out.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 7
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 8:52:04 PM   
malkuth74

Email sent to Matrix Games now. Seriously this is totally unacceptable.. I suggest anyone that buys this game or expansions make sure you backup your files that download.. Because trying to get them back from Matrix games is like pulling teeth.. Even though you paid for a downloaded game that suppose to be available all the time.

Last game promise.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 8
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 9:21:18 PM   
malkuth74

Next email... All we have you down for is The expansions these are your purchase orders... Blah blah blah.. Really so wtf is this purchase order that I just sent you with the original Game, purchase price, order freaking number and everything... Really matrix is this how we treat customers that pay for your games? You let some people take over your store part of the buisness and now I have to deal with this crap all day really?

Someone better come up with some answers real goddam soon.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 9
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 9:52:54 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTJ

Indeed they have the links available if you log in to the Matrix Store. Just one click and download starts for all the games and patches. Can't see the problem...

One of the problems is sometimes it doesn't register a purchased game in your members section orders. I opened a support ticket and Matrix contacted Plimus several times. Plimus was to contact me by email which they never did. Not the biggest problem in the world since most Matrix games are small and I archive them to disk.

That said the download service could be better. I'd like it to be like Good Old Games if possible.

(in reply to BTJ)
Post #: 10
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 10:02:38 PM   
malkuth74

So primus is all done now. They can't do anything. So yet again I will have to wait days for Matrix support to take this over. Im sorry but this is so piss poor service.

And Mbar is correct this is a small download it should not be a problem to redownload these games. And I never really have luck with backups.. My CD and DVD never seem to work when I try to use them.. Use to backup my download games all the time.. And never seem to work after a year or so..

But I agree if you own matrix games find a way to backup the game.. If I ever get this solved I will figure out some other way to backup these games. Cause this is so annoying.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 11
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 11:10:35 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: malkuth74

So primus is all done now. They can't do anything. So yet again I will have to wait days for Matrix support to take this over. Im sorry but this is so piss poor service.

And Mbar is correct this is a small download it should not be a problem to redownload these games. And I never really have luck with backups.. My CD and DVD never seem to work when I try to use them.. Use to backup my download games all the time.. And never seem to work after a year or so..

But I agree if you own matrix games find a way to backup the game.. If I ever get this solved I will figure out some other way to backup these games. Cause this is so annoying.

Its why I always buy the hard copy of the game on disk. Call me old fashioned, but I would not have it any other way.
No help to you of course but this thread has justified my paranoia about downloading stuff from the ether.
I always ask myself, 'what if Digital River/Plimus/Matrix went bust?'.

And then I buy a hard copy.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 12
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 11:24:17 PM   
malkuth74

The sad part Empire is that I actually bought a hardcopy too at some point but lost it in a recent move.. Which is why Im freaking out over the fact that now I lost the download copy too... Even though the company is not belly up.. Just have a crapy system for Digital Downloads.. Matrix is extremely expensive for games. Harldy ever have sales... When I pay full price for a digital download I expect to be able to download it.

Only company I know of that I use that uses this crappy system of having to have your links redone and activated. Its a piss poor system.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 13
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/30/2012 11:28:11 PM   
Kordanor

A hard copy is probably the safest option, true.

At least if there isn't an online DRM. Got an old Witcher 1 Version I wanted to player at Witcher 2 release.
However their homepage for Witcher 1 was not updated and I wasnt able to download the patch - which also included the removal of the DRM. Well, lets say that I found "other ways" of playing the game I bought. But it was not nice.

However you often reach the case there you 1. don't want to wait for a game to arrive or 2. want to save tons of money when buying it online, so there is often that decision to make.

That said, the bigger the service or platform, the more likely it is that in case of a bankruptcy someone else will take it over without much of a change for a customer.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 14
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/31/2012 8:19:29 AM   
Demonius

I got the DL Link for the original as first reply when I had lost it. So if you still have your serial, I might be able to help?

(in reply to Kordanor)
Post #: 15
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 5/31/2012 4:51:15 PM   
malkuth74

Its all set now. Matrix Help support fixed the issue for me. Going to buy a USB Flash Drive and back them up this way for I never have to deal with this again.

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 16
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/1/2012 12:13:41 PM   
Fishman

Eh. Just save your serial code. The actual downloads can be had anywhere. All you really need the serial. No need to save a metric crapton's worth of files.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 17
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 3:12:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Malkuth74,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com if you wish to discuss.

A couple of points.

1. Were you dealing with Plimus Support rather than Matrix Support for the initial frustrating support responses? If so, please just deal with us directly in the future.

2. If you are logged into our site when you purchase, the game will be associated with your account and you'll be able to automatically get a new download link to the game from our Members Club in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 18
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 4:55:53 PM   
zenryl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Malkuth74,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com if you wish to discuss.

A couple of points.

1. Were you dealing with Plimus Support rather than Matrix Support for the initial frustrating support responses? If so, please just deal with us directly in the future.

2. If you are logged into our site when you purchase, the game will be associated with your account and you'll be able to automatically get a new download link to the game from our Members Club in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

How so? I don't have a download link in my profile, I can only access the last patch and my keys. I do agree with the OP, the download system is just awful, why can't we simply download the game at all time like in Gamers Gate?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 7:14:11 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: zenryl
How so? I don't have a download link in my profile, I can only access the last patch and my keys. I do agree with the OP, the download system is just awful, why can't we simply download the game at all time like in Gamers Gate?

Login to "Members" then select "My Orders" on the right hand panel. You will be able to download the full game from there.

I still have at least 5 games that never made it on that list and were purchased well after Plimus took over.

(in reply to zenryl)
Post #: 20
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 7:31:48 PM   
zenryl

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbar

quote:

Login to "Members" then select "My Orders" on the right hand panel. You will be able to download the full game from there.

I still have at least 5 games that never made it on that list and were purchased well after Plimus took over.

I have only one of the extension listed there. If I contact the support they can add the rest?

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 21
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 9:57:34 PM   
mbar

quote:

I have only one of the extension listed there. If I contact the support they can add the rest?

Yeah I'd send an email to Matrix support or contact Erik Rutins. They'll get you setup.

(in reply to zenryl)
Post #: 22
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/2/2012 10:18:35 PM   
zenryl

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbar

Yeah I'd send an email to Matrix support or contact Erik Rutins. They'll get you setup.

Thank you :)

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 23
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/5/2012 5:28:34 PM   
puke

I had a great experience with the download system when I first purcahsed Distant Worlds, and I have to say that Plimus gave me great support when I first bought a game (their only one...) from Data Realms a long long time ago.

But I have to echo that the Distant Worlds download isn't available on the Members Club downloads section -- only the expansions. When I look at my Registered Products, it says that there are No Downloads Available for Distant Worlds.

My order predates Plimus, and Digital River was unfortuneatly not helpful. I've gotten in touch with Matrix Support just now, and I expect to report that they're totally awesome in all ways and that the issue was easily resolved -- but it sure would be nice if that download was up in the Members Club, would prevent these sorts of things from coming up in the first place.

I'm really keen to buy the two expansions, but it sort of hinges on being able to get my original game working again. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a bundle discount for the expansions? I know there was when Legends first came out, but maybe that offer expired? There seems to be a 20% discount on them when you buy the original game, but I already have the original game. If not, no big deal. But it would be nice, you know?

(in reply to zenryl)
Post #: 24
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/6/2012 11:18:59 PM   
malkuth74

I will send you an email erick.. But I have to stress what others have stressed in this game.. Distant worlds The Original Game is not available to me in my Download section.. All I have available for my games is the Patches for The expansions.. I will send email with a picture of what my download section looks like.. And an copy of my emails from the episode.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to zenryl)
Post #: 25
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/6/2012 11:46:04 PM   
malkuth74

Email sent, with title of this topic in subject.. And all relevant emails, account info and pictures and well everything.

Thanks.

Let me also stress again the downloads in the Members area are patches only they are not the full game. Now on my downloads page I don't have distant worlds available at all... I have the files now.. So distant worlds is 597 megs. Return is 99 megs and Legends is 117 megs. These are the files I finally got after all this...

The only downloads available to me on my download pages for the games are the Updates to Distant worlds Legends and Return... Thats all I can download.. Not the full games.. The downloads on those pages are patches and are only 13 Megs... Not the full on expansions that I needed..

< Message edited by malkuth74 -- 6/7/2012 1:29:52 AM >

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 26
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/7/2012 3:53:25 AM   
puke

quote:

ORIGINAL: puke
My order predates Plimus, and Digital River was unfortuneatly not helpful. I've gotten in touch with Matrix Support just now, and I expect to report that they're totally awesome in all ways and that the issue was easily resolved

So as expected, Matrix support was totally awesome and sent me a working download link after only a single message. Which is infinitly better than no link after about five messages with Digital River. I should have contacted Matrix first!

(in reply to puke)
Post #: 27
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/12/2012 7:42:37 AM   
malkuth74

I must say thank you to Eric and Christian for helping me out on this. Have had the situation explained to me and also the situation is totally solved now.

Basically Digital River is old system... You have to contact Matrix support and they will get you download ASAP.

Plimus is the new system and you have to get the downloads from them..

I still think you should rethink how the downloads are available.. But at this point problem solved.. Still think best idea is to keep a backup somewhere of your files.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 28
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/13/2012 12:26:53 AM   
Warspite3

quote:

ORIGINAL: malkuth74

Sorry but I love this game and all, but the system you guys use for downloading your games are totally terrible. I don't understand why its so difficult to re-download your games after either a hardrive failure, or new system or really anything.

The links only last a few days and when you try to Download the games again you have to contact support for help. Well the problem with this is that Distant world now has 3 different downloads! Send my email off with all the proof that I purchased all three products. Get one email back that has new download for Legends... Send off another email saying I need the download for The BASE GAME and shakturi. Get another email back with just shakturi.

Still no base game. Send another email off saying I need the base game! Still after almost 5 days of getting my email off I still can't play this game again.

I don't understand why its so difficult.. If I buy a download game Like on Steam, Gamersgate, or any other didgital download area I can get my game anytime..

But this system is terrible. I sorry, 80 Dollars in games and I have to jump through hoops to get the game. Backups? Sure I do it all the time.. Then when I try to use the DVD it never works. Don't know why, but thats what happens.

The system needs to be changed and be more friendly.. Right now its not anything but a headache for the customer.

At this point I think Im getting the run around on the base game since I bought it before you guys went to this new system. Doesn't matter that I purchased the extended download protection when I bought the original game it seems with the old system.

Grrrrr.

Glad you got your download problems solved. Why are you not able to get your DVD backups to work? What I do is I keep all my Matrix games on a seperate internal HD. I run two HD in my comp. Another thing you can do for convenience is get you a good flash drive (or two), maybe like a 16GB (under $10 now) as most Matrix games are not too large in space then just back them up right on your flash. Got to love flash storage, best storage technology for backup to come in a long time, why not take advantage of it? There are also some really nice external drives out now that are physically tiny but huge in storage space, plug into a usb, backup files and done.

< Message edited by Warspite3 -- 6/13/2012 12:28:07 AM >

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 29
RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game - 6/18/2012 1:18:48 AM   
ilovestrategy

I am in total agreement with this. I was fortunate in that I burnt a copy to a blank DVD when I first bought the game because I was having the same problems as the OP.

I do not have this problem with Steam. All I have to do is go to my library and hit install. No looking for serial numbers. And why do I need the last 4 numbers of my credit card for a game I bought over a year ago?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI