Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UK-model infantry tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> UK-model infantry tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UK-model infantry tactics - 1/22/2001 4:57:00 AM   
rexmonday

Something I have never mastered in this game is the problem of trying to maintain platoon cohesion in infantry units based on the British infantry model. The platoon will be composed of an HQ squad, some three rifle squads, and a small mortar. Late war Polish infantry and some of the other British Empire nationalities like the ANZAC forces have a similar or identical set up. The problem I have is that the rifle squads and the platoon HQ have a speed of 6, while the light mortar has a speed of only about 2. This means that in advance or assault missions, even if the mortar doesn't fire, it quickly gets left behind. Although I play with C&C off this irritates me somewhat, and I am wondering how other players deal with the lagging light mortar units. As far as I can tell the AIP just drags these mortars after the rest of the foot soldiers - IT Brixia squads always show up as johhny-come-latelies when the AIP is on the advance, and even GE MG units tag along and seem to show up only by the time that mopping-up operations have begun. I am not arguing that movement speeds for the light mortars be altered or anything, I am just wondering how people deal with these units - is it fairly common to cross-attach them to a dedicated artillery platoon? In campaign games this is what I tend to do - make them sub-units of the A0 unit and upgrade them to heavier bore artillery ASAP. Although this might make sense in game terms, what was the SOP in real terms?

Post #: 1
- 1/22/2001 11:55:00 AM   
Bonzo

pick yourself up some pack mule & load the mortars on them. they are reasonably small (size 2) quite quick & handle rough terrain pretty well. Their speed allows you to set up & fire support for a few turns from a safe(er) distance back as the infantry attacks, then load up & hustle up to your next fire base. Works well with other light support weapons as well. Cheap too & often historically accurate. ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://nwbattalion.tripod.com E-mail [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to rexmonday)
Post #: 2
- 1/23/2001 2:09:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by rexmonday: Something I have never mastered in this game is the problem of trying to maintain platoon cohesion in infantry units based on the British infantry model. The platoon will be composed of an HQ squad, some three rifle squads, and a small mortar. Late war Polish infantry and some of the other British Empire nationalities like the ANZAC forces have a similar or identical set up. The problem I have is that the rifle squads and the platoon HQ have a speed of 6, while the light mortar has a speed of only about 2. This means that in advance or assault missions, even if the mortar doesn't fire, it quickly gets left behind. Although I play with C&C off this irritates me somewhat, and I am wondering how other players deal with the lagging light mortar units. As far as I can tell the AIP just drags these mortars after the rest of the foot soldiers - IT Brixia squads always show up as johhny-come-latelies when the AIP is on the advance, and even GE MG units tag along and seem to show up only by the time that mopping-up operations have begun. I am not arguing that movement speeds for the light mortars be altered or anything, I am just wondering how people deal with these units - is it fairly common to cross-attach them to a dedicated artillery platoon? In campaign games this is what I tend to do - make them sub-units of the A0 unit and upgrade them to heavier bore artillery ASAP. Although this might make sense in game terms, what was the SOP in real terms?
Usless item (very good in trenches) I always change them to HMG they move faster and give needed firepower to the squad.

(in reply to rexmonday)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> UK-model infantry tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI