Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargame designs that don't have much to do with wargaming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame designs that don't have much to do with wargaming Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargame designs that don't have much to do with wargaming - 12/3/2002 8:45:22 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I was going to post this as a follow up post in Battlefields, but I think this is more a General forum comment in the end.

Sarge's rule number one on wargames

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice, no there won't be a twice, this ain't some cute saying here.

I have only one thing to say to ****head companies that try to sell me hollywood style wargames, I intend to drag your companies name through the mud and then step on your head while down there.

Nothing annoys me more now that we are 10 years down the road from any serious attempt at computerised wargaming, than a lousy excuse program. Beyond 10 years of course, computers were hardly what they are today.

With a 2 gig or better processor, with on average 256 or more Ram in gamer machines, with hard drives that can hold more data than I can actually imagine in one spot, with hi tech video and sound cards the norm, with super fast on line connection options getting pretty typical in urban locations, there is absolutely zero nadda zippo justifcation for lousy games period.

That some people can release games with bugs in them is not all that unreasonable. It is hard to predict every permutation of possibility I will grant you. But lousy design choices is something I will NOT grant wargame designers (or any game style designers for that matter).

The more that I think of it, the more it pisses me off in fact.

If some of the markets computer games had been released with the same level of quality, and as board games, the company would have promptly folded and died during the 70's and 80's. Wargamers would never have tolerated the garbage we are sold routinely today.

I can remember a few designs that were in fact made, the rules were convoluted and poorly written, or the boards were created in a rotten matter. And yes the wargame community tore the item to pieces collectively.

As I see it wargames come in only so many possible permutations. There is only so many ways to make a wheel after all. So why is it we have so many idiotic wargames out there now.

I am tired of the wargame design process being yet another hollywood experience as I said.
Every time I see yet another game with a flashy name and flashy box art, I have the same reaction I have to war movies where grenades pump out great gouts of flame "oh this will reeeeeally please the low forehead moron crowd that wouldn't recognise a real wargame if a ton of then dropped on their heads".

Include every single shooter game in that comment. Shooter games are games for low forehead morons. Yes Sarge meant you, you there with the first person shooter, you don't impress me with your "I'm a real cool wargamer". In the military you are worth as much as a garritrooper to us old timers.
And for you hybrids, you should know better.

Real time strategy, the term makes me want to puke, It isn't real unless you can simultaneously click on every single unit every single second of the entire game. It certainly isn't strategy. It might be tactics, but tactics as a term can be applied to anything. Although a wargamer generally uses the term to mean military tactics. Not hardware advantages.

I have seen how the units move in RTS games. Frantically is the first term that comes to mind.
If it can't move this because of unit B blocking it's path it moves that way. If it can't move that way thanks to unit c it then immediately moves yet another way. But if unit b suddenly moves, then it tries to move that way yet again. But if unit c intercepts it by getting that way first, then it yet again changes its mind.
At what point does this mindless wandering simulate anything. I have seen better organised ant colonies.

Turn based games might seem boring to some, but then again, traditional board game wargaming was always a hobby in the past, that separated the uneducated from the higher educated military history interested enthusiast.
I know that sounds insulting, dummy it was an insult, of course it sounded insulting. Why else would I say it.

They didn't make wargames with fast play tutorials eh, you had to read the rules or get lost. They demanded you actually know how to read and read well.
I can't speak for foreign language enthusiasts, but I know that the english language games required you to speak specifically proper english to understand exactly what was meant in the rules.
ASLers will of course know what I mean when I say you were either "IN" a hex or "in" a hex.

Kuniworth has a nice enough thread going (for those that don't know, he has that post located over at Battlefront as well). I think unfortunately, his enthusiasm is up against a wall that enthusiasm won't breech.
He is fighting against the forces of the lowest common denominator.

Gamers don't want a cool (to us I suppose) game depicting the entire war at a credible scale with a turn based fuction.
No they want to run around a glitzy map shooting weapons that never require reloading (thanks to a cheat code they found online) with perhaps even several other cheat codes, so that they can play indefinitely and simulate virtually nothing.

They sure don't want realism. Man this game is way to dull, and you have to do to much in a turn. and there is no cheat codes for it.
The average gamer today can't even distinguish the problem with the term RTS.
All they want is graphics, more graphics. Is it any wonder more and more games are just cool looking graphics and no respectable wargame under those graphics.

The main complaint I hear about Strategic Command is the game is dull looking. Then you start hearing about all the technical areas where it is lacking.
Not surprising though. It was made by someone that obviously made it expecting to sell it to morons.
Or else the game would play like a wargame as well as look like one.

It's not rocket science eh, why can't a game designer take a real wargame like Advanced Third Reich and just computerise it?
I will tell you my opinion. In my opinion it's because there are no wargamers out there designing them.
I saw yesterday a comment over at Battlefront, by a person lamenting the mechanics of A3R. The guy was oooooobviously a low forehead moron cheerleader.

AIs who needs them.
I have this to say about people commenting on how this or that AI is actually smart, no you are actually dumber than most is the truth.
I would much rather buy a game with no AI that was intentionally designed to be played online against another person.
I have seen the hardware, it exists to handle this well. So why isn't it being used?
A game that is designed with an AI is just a waste of hard drive space. I might as well be playing my board games against grade school children (who knows, they might be smarter after a few games at least).

I am sure I have reeeeeeeeeally angered some people. Dont worry, I won't be upset if you are upset.

I am hoping to buy Combat Leader. A good turn based concept. It has as its inspiration Steel Panthers, a proven quality game.
And as inspired as it is, it is only worth playing against a human though.
I doubt there is enough AI hating wargamers out there though, to ask for the AI to be ripped out of the program. I will let it go. As long as I can ignore it (and I will) I won't really care.

I think though, I will be tidying up the ole game room and getting the board game collection aired out.
After walking through an EB now for several years, and seeing in most cases NO wargames at all on the shelves, it is clear there never has been, and likely never will be, a significant market for computer wargames for serious wargamers.

Thankfully I have seen several programs that offer real wargamers the ability to employ the power of a computer, to play a real wargame like Advanced Third Reich or Advanced Squad Leader online.

Check these links out, if you have had your fill of dumb idiot friendly computer wargames

http://www.warplanner.com/
http://www.vasl.org/vassal/Download.html

There are more links out there, but that will give you a good start.

And stay tuned, Matrix will eventually release Combat Leader (thank god at least some designers have a semblance of an idea what a wargame looks like).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 12/3/2002 10:34:32 PM   
NaKATPase

Hey Les,

Thanks for that VASL link... my roomate and I were looking for a way to play some ASL without me having to bring in all 3 chests of drawers full of counters... now all I have to bring is the rules, and we've already got a bunch of text books around here, so one more can't hurt :)

NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.

"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 12/3/2002 11:51:31 PM   
Kraut

I'll second almost all of that Les, except the part about the AI, at least in some situations. I also have some remarks of my own.

I think that the AI can have its proper place in (some) computer wargames. It can never replace a smart and resourceful opponent, but many historical warlords and Field Marshals etc weren't all that smart and resourceful to begin with. So assume a starting scenario for a campaign where you lead a relatively small and flexible force against a much larger but pretty clumsy opponent, who might be further hindered by a rigid fighting doctrine (say the Red Army at the start of WW II). Provided all this is laid out in a transparent manner to the gamer before he starts to play, without any bogus claims about what the AI is supposed to be capable of it should be acceptable to even the most descerning grognard.

Of course there are other opponents than the Red Army right after Stalin's purges that are inexperienced, clumsy and which rely on superior numbers. A good AI should be able to simulate any form of human stupidity quite well ;)

One game I'd like to play is one where I can realistically assume the role of a guerilla-leader taking on a big, corrupt and incompetent regular army. Say Mao Tze-Tung's communists against the Kuomitang, including the Long March. If the game is flexible enough to allow following the guides to guerilla-warfare that Mao, Che Guevara and others laid out (moving among the peasantry like a fish in water etc) it would be a worthy addition to any wargamer's collection, even if he usually only plays board games.

I can think of a good reason why a game like this shouldn't be played against a human opponent. An experienced wargamer in charge of the Kuomitang wouldn't make the mistakes his historical couterparts made, except if you constrain him by artificial rules (in form of a computer-simulated incompetent superior for example) which would make it unsatisfactory for him. The player in charge of the smaller force might also find it frustrating going up against a human opponent with a much larger force.

To summarize, I don't want to see board games that work perfectly well as board games made into computer wargames, I want to see computer wargames that wouldn't work as board games (because nobody wants to play a stupid and plodding Warlord or General).

Of course the game needs to fullfil some stringent conditions. One of these would be that I want to know the algorhythm that is used and I also want to see the calculations in a seperate window whenever I want to.

For example: Why did the vehicle drive exactly as far as it did in the alloted timespan (a turn in the game being equivalent to a given number of minutes)? Or why was my opponent victorious in a certain skirmish? I want to be able to open the calculations window and check if the result is in accordance with the algorhythm.

I also want to be able to edit the algorhythm if I think the results are unrealistic. There ahould be some random factor in it, but it has to be just right. To much random chance and the results become unrealistic; to little random chance and the results become mechanistic, at least in the long run.

As to the market for this kind of thing: Programming computers is becoming easier and the hardware cheaper all the time, so I can't see why a relatively small number of enthusiats couldn't get together and code a game like this or at least a hard-core conversion of a board-game, with or without AI. I think that the internet is also going to see to it that the clientele for hard-core wargames will grow; more people than ever will be used to match their wits against others and no longer be willing to accept crappy AIs as opponents, so if a game uses AI at all it has to be good and complement rather than replace human opponents.

The very least we can expect are modifications for Civ-games that make them playable as real wargames.

Post #: 3
- 12/4/2002 1:21:51 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You stated a notion I guess I was not able to phrase Kraut, yes I would like a window showing why and how a game did each and every function myself.

It would be handy to see what the computer was doing and just how the heck it managed it.

Not to mention, I could point to this window and say to all the younguns, when you can make each and every one of those calculations in your head, then you will be as good a wargamer as most of us 30 and 40 something wargamers (who grew up having to do all those calculations routinely each and every turn).

Post #: 4
- 12/4/2002 4:04:07 AM   
showboat1

Finding a quality opponent has always been my main problem. Back in the Dark Ages I only had my father to play, who routinely cleaned my clock no matter what we played both in board and computer games. (Oddly enough, he never beat me in chess) The AI was important for me when I went off to college and had no one to play against. However, most AI opponents are weak in the extreme. They are predictable, lack the ability to improvise, and are typically defeated by even below average opponents.

Which brings me back to the desire to have a turn based, online, war game in which EVERY theater of World War II is represented with various players taking on the various sides. It would be WIDESCALE wargaming!!!!!

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

Post #: 5
- 12/4/2002 4:14:38 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Kuniworth is looking for you Showboat1:)

Post #: 6
- 12/4/2002 5:18:54 AM   
Kuniworth

Well I think the AI is possible to design but in the end multiplayer-options most be an option.

But what strikes me with wargaming is if the games are made for us or for the company-designers? Do we just play whats coming or do we chose not to play certain games? I´m not sure the companies produce strategygames for the comman wargamer.

I dónt want to sound like some hardcore wargamer scary of any mainstream attempts by the gaming companies. But I have to question if the games really are produced for us or they expect you just to buy it because nothing else are available.

I´m fed up with this ****ty gaming industry. Please produce games and for god sake put some soul in it!!!! How hard can it be to create a system with a competent AI?

For christ sake wargamers are beeing raped by idiotic games

"Those men on white horses are terrifying...but we´ll match´em with our lancers!"

Napoleon 1815

Post #: 7
- 12/4/2002 6:21:57 AM   
Nixuebrig

About the AI, there is no (NO) computer wargame(or even computer game) with an acceptable AI. Either they cheat or they are laughable.

And Sarge, i almost started to laugh as you mixed wargames and shooters. Is there really anybody out there, who things shooters are wargames?:eek:

Is the same as thinking i am the king of tactical or strategy game, so i will be a good leader in real life too!#

Most wargames are in fact noit very flexible, they have to stick to given rules(by the programmer) so they are most not about tactic or strategy, but mostly about knowing the rules.Soback tothe questions, all games don`T have to do much with gaming, but solely with knowing the rules. I played many turn based wargames, where i repeatly asked my self, why can`T i do that? Spwaw for example, the 360 degree field of fire, where i asked myself, why can`T my squads attack simultan? Or why can i controll the movement and the fire of every single squad and tank, even when it is not in HQ contact?:confused:

Conclusion, they are only games, some better designed than others, but the perfect wargame is not out and will never be(at least not in our lives)

Post #: 8
- 12/4/2002 6:32:17 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Heheh well Prince you know and I know what a wargame is.

But joe moron out there walking the floor of the local EB or other retail outlet sure doesn't know.

They will tell you they know. And their cash will tell the companies what they want of course. And the companies, well they are in it for the cash (can't blame em in a capitalist society eh).

I have had to endure endless debates with joe moron types, some even my buddies heheh, about what qualifies as a wargame or what consititutes strategy, or how they have mastered tactics.

Best you can do sometimes though, is nod a bit let them ramble and assume you can't speak with a moron, they are morons after all.

Post #: 9
- 12/4/2002 6:43:51 AM   
Nixuebrig

Waterloo, by Dr. Peter Turcan, was a game, I had many hopes in.

You where either Napoleon or Wellington and had to sent orders to your inferior generals. Everything else was in the hands of your subordinates. If you wanted to habe a better view you had to ride over the battlefield, sadly this game was plagued by many bugs and a very mediocre AI, so it didn`T get good critics. But the idea was great and I still hope something similar will come out one day.

Joe Moron is someone who wants to things, blood and graphic effects, and this two are as important for wargames as a cup of tea for an alcoholic:)

I play battlefield1942 or RTCW, but they are for me shooters, you need to know the tricks or have good reflexe, as you don`T have any time for tactics.
Would anybody call Rambo a good tactican?:confused:

Post #: 10
- 12/4/2002 8:27:51 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Rambo could have been a good tactician, why not, after all your mother might have been a good tactician, your local preacher might be one, the guy at the green grocer too.

Tactics at its core is just about knowing what not to do and not doing it. It's about knowing good timing, such as when not to tell the offensive nun joke.
It's knowing that preparation sure helps, but being flexible can't be over stated.

So good tactics in a typical RTS game, is having a good hi tech mouse with a clean mouse pad. Having a lot of ram and a fast processor. A cool video and sound card helps too.

Believe it or not, but those ARE tactics. It's just that most people think tactics means dropping artillery fire on reverse slopes and using mortars because they have a high accuracy level. Or using a certain type of unit, or moving formations in a particular way.

My favourite tactic for getting opponents is to bait younguns in an EB with a blatant comment like, you shooter yahoos don't know squat about real wargaming, but I will let you prove it at my place with a real wargame. Usually this tactic is very rewarding.

Post #: 11
- 12/4/2002 7:19:21 PM   
Raindog101

Hey Sarge! I don’t know any Canadians, so tell me, are they all as pompous, dull-witted, frustrated and stupid as you are? Maybe that’s why Canada is a socialist country because dick-heads like you allow it. Get a girl friend (or boyfriend) and quit stroking yourself, you’re not as smart as you think you are.

Post #: 12
- 12/4/2002 7:46:17 PM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Eagle101
[B]Hey Sarge! I don’t know any Canadians, so tell me, are they all as pompous, dull-witted, frustrated and stupid as you are? Maybe that’s why Canada is a socialist country because dick-heads like you allow it. Get a girl friend (or boyfriend) and quit stroking yourself, you’re not as smart as you think you are. [/B][/QUOTE]

Old Eagle101, that is uncalled for, not to mention completely unacceptable! Even if you have a problem with somebody you can bloody well be polite about it. :mad:

I don't know where else you are posting but in the General Discussion forum we are used to a certain level of civility.

Post #: 13
- 12/4/2002 8:00:28 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm

1. either that post was said in humour soooHahahahahahaha is in order (and the rest of my post was unnecessary).

or

2. you are trying to bait me, but I have way to much experience to be baited that easily, come on man that wasn't even decent bait.

or

3. you haven't been here long, but I have, and no one here that has been, cares for your thoughts (including me eh) or method of execution.

or

4. excuse me while I look for the camera, is this a gag?

or

5. I have a wife, of 16 years (proves I know something), that lets me play wargames a lot (high 5 guys, dang those sorts of women are rare eh). As for intellect, hmmm I will let the forum explain that one to you. Or would you like to test wits with me on something more intellectual? How about my 2 pet hobbies, theoretical physics or planetology?

6. you don't have your age listed (not that it would be hard to post a fake one), but with no verifiable age, you are to me just "eagle 101", we don't hand out seniors discounts without proof of age, sorry man, those are the rules.

7. I don't like the US, but I know a great many Americans I do like (and they won't enjoy your poor example of them).
If you don't know any of us Canadians now though, slagging the country like that (very poor taste), insulting one of the forums Canadian members as you have done (and the forum has a lot of us), and generally using tacky unimaginative slurs on one of the forums better known and better liked participants (I have proof) is sure not going to make you many friends here or anywhere else.

Post #: 14
- 12/4/2002 8:01:40 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Thanks Kraut if I wasn't so long winded in my posts I would have gotten there ahead of you heheh.

Post #: 15
- 12/4/2002 8:01:48 PM   
Raindog101

Civility!!?? You better re-read the "Sarge's" post....

Post #: 16
- 12/4/2002 8:08:18 PM   
Kraut

[B]Civility!!?? You better re-read the "Sarge's" post.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Which one? His reaction to your personal attack?

Post #: 17
- 12/4/2002 8:14:32 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just re read my post (had to make sure eh).

Yep your name is not in my post anywhere.

I did mention Kuniworth by name, but I suspect Kuniworth is someone else. And his posts are identifiable by a style that I doubt you could copy.

Perhaps you are a garritrooper, shooter gamer that just doesn't like being called out as a phoney? Maybe you enjoyed the film Pearl Harbour and are annoyed that all your RTS gaming experience doesn't mean much to us grognards.

Perhaps Advanced Third Reich is to hard for you and you think I am an elitist and annoying due to my superior reading skills.

But don't mind the forum while they move away from you eh. It's often hard to get blood stains out of a neatly pressed mail order combat uniform replica. I hope you have good laundry instructions man, you are going to need them heheheh.

Post #: 18
- 12/4/2002 11:40:07 PM   
Kuniworth

Nope I´m not an old eagle. True I´ve been kick out from Paradox forums due to some complaints on HoI but I never insult people on purpose.

For all I know the canadians seem like a nice bunch...unless when it comes to hockey *cough* still **** the olympic hockey tournament *cough *

So what I would like to say to you Old Eagle is that hockey is a great game.

"Those men on white horses are terrifying...but we´ll match´em with our lancers!"

Napoleon 1815

Post #: 19
- 12/4/2002 11:50:45 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Just re read my post (had to make sure eh).

Yep your name is not in my post anywhere.

I did mention Kuniworth by name, but I suspect Kuniworth is someone else. And his posts are identifiable by a style that I doubt you could copy.

Perhaps you are a garritrooper, shooter gamer that just doesn't like being called out as a phoney? Maybe you enjoyed the film Pearl Harbour and are annoyed that all your RTS gaming experience doesn't mean much to us grognards.

Perhaps Advanced Third Reich is to hard for you and you think I am an elitist and annoying due to my superior reading skills.

But don't mind the forum while they move away from you eh. It's often hard to get blood stains out of a neatly pressed mail order combat uniform replica. I hope you have good laundry instructions man, you are going to need them heheheh. [/B][/QUOTE]

Man, Sarge, you´re some fundamentalist ;). I know quite some "grognards" that enjoy shooters and , god forgive me, RTS games. That´s including me. Some of us don´t have the time to plan 4 hours on a move, that´s why I enjoy Strategic Command for some "quick relaxing fun" for example.

You don´t like them? Well, then don´t play them. The word "Wargame" is not copyrighted by grognards yet, or am I wrong?

Post #: 20
- 12/5/2002 12:07:18 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Be careful Marc anything is possible.

About a year back, there was quite a lot of flack over the copywriting of the hex center dot in games like ASL.

Does anyone else remember this insanity?

Not sure of where it went though, but it sure was a lively point of discussion in the venues I encountered it on.

Anything is possible, I could probably do just that eh, copywrite something as fundemental to the game as a term or a design feature.

Fortunately while I have the time, I am not nearly that anal heheh.

Post #: 21
- 12/5/2002 12:10:01 AM   
CCB

I enjoy turn based games, but in real life one side just doesn't sit around while the other side completes their turn. Everything happens simultaneously in reality.

Maybe its just a myth, but didn't some of the Avalon Hill Squad Leader designers also work on the original Close Combat game to produce a RTS version of Squad Leader?

I like the Close Combat games. You should try them if you haven't already Les. At most you only have to worry about 15 units. Its fast and fun to play.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

Post #: 22
- 12/5/2002 12:56:59 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have yet to ever encounter a Close Combat title on sale actually CCB.

I have seen a couple of screen shots before and will admit I didn't mind looking at them.

I think Combat Mission is to much detail on the screen though, and perhaps Sudden Strike was to little somewhere (the images are about hmmm 65% of a Steel Panthers image in size to me at least).

As for the comment about Squad Leader RTS never heard even a rumour about that creature though.
Unless you refer to that obscenity that Hasbro released which pleasantly vanished from the shelves without anyone saying boo.

As for their connection with Close Combat, I have no input there, I wasn't on the scene when they released Close Combat.

As for real life, well there isn't a game out there that really simulates real life (thank god).

But who wants to game standing in a foxhole with frozen feet, or trying to endure the insides of a sweltering fly infested tank.
And the long patrols where you see nothing for days, but get to enjoy the stress of worrying each second of it.

Then the wonders of being shelled. The screams of the guy shot in the gut. The smell of burned bodies. Looking in the face of the guy you just knifed as he pleads to be spared.

No, turns is ok with me.

Although a notion I have seen in some board games would be nice and easy to implement I would think and make RTS and turn based disappear as genres altogether.

Some games allow you to chose actions which are interlaced with the oposition, you move a unit, I move a unit. I think there is a catchy term used for this actually.
Moving all my units then you moving yours is not really necessary.
It's convenient, but not necessary.

Although I see no realism in just forcing the player to constantly scramble after units madly constantly.
As I said, there is no real time in real time games. Just a lot of real fast clicking.

Post #: 23
- 12/5/2002 5:41:48 AM   
Raindog101

The “Sarge’s” attitude that everyone is a moron that doesn’t like the same games he does, is repugnant to most Americans. In America we can buy and play any games we want, which apparently is not the case in The People’s Republic of Canada. In Canada the “Game Police” must be making “Sarge” (security guard?) buy and play games he doesn’t like. Forcing him to go into EB and look at RTS and FPS game boxes. A word of advice “Sarge” you should stop hanging around video game stores playing with little kids. You might get arrested. Well, maybe not in the People’s Republic of Canada. Such liberal free thinkers up there.... Also "Sarge" I'm 55 years old, just retired and am looking at wargames as a hobby. I was a rifleman with the 101st Abn in Nam for a year and a half. Been shot 3 times, so I know a little about war. I promise you if they made a 100% realistic wargame, players would be falling asleep in droves. And also FYI turn based games are the MOST un-realistic of all. I never once waited for Charlie to stop shooting before I started, nor him I. FPS are more realistic in that respect. As I see it, a game should be fun and interesting, more than realistic. Just my opinion.

Post #: 24
- 12/5/2002 5:51:56 AM   
Fred98

Les,

If you go to the website of Electronic Boutique, you can probably find Close Combat and buy it online.

I have bought a Matrix game online and everything went smoothly.

I suggest you get Close Combat 5 as it is the last in and the best of the series.

Once you have it go the fan site below and get the 5.01a patch

http://www.closecombat.org/indexa.htm

Post #: 25
- 12/5/2002 5:52:59 AM   
Fred98

to CCB:

Like me, you are a fan of Close Combat and Star Trek; if only you were a woman :)

Post #: 26
- 12/5/2002 6:01:01 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

[B]... And also FYI turn based games are the MOST un-realistic of all. I never once waited for Charlie to stop shooting before I started, nor him I. FPS are more realistic in that respect. As I see it, a game should be fun and interesting, more than realistic. Just my opinion. [/B][/QUOTE]I can agree with this.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

Post #: 27
- 12/5/2002 6:08:09 AM   
Fred98

Quote: “Also "Sarge" I'm 55 years old, just retired “

I hope I can retire at a young age too.

Quote: and am looking at wargames as a hobby…… As I see it, a game should be fun and interesting, more than realistic. Just my opinion.”

Yes, mine too. Welcome to the hobby.

Quote: “I promise you if they made a 100% realistic wargame, players would be falling asleep in droves.”

Yes, which means to increase the fun the quiet times need to be eliminated from a game. It also means that people like play as general Rommel rather than as general of supplies.

Quote: "And also FYI turn based games are the MOST un-realistic of all. I never once waited for Charlie to stop shooting before I started, nor him I."

Yes, I have made this point a few times. My view is that a game at the operational or strategic level can be turn based but at the tactical level needs to be continuos time.

Post #: 28
- 12/5/2002 6:11:55 AM   
Fred98

To CCB: Avalon Hill and Atomic worked together for a while to produce a computer version of ASL which morphed into Close Combat 1 – the most fun game of the series yet it has the worst artwork and least realism.

Avalon Hill backed out and the rest is history

The Bunny could tell us more – I’ll ask him

Post #: 29
- 12/5/2002 6:22:43 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Eagle 101 have you not noticed a massive sparcity of support for your views or is my browser somehow unable to detect your supporters (assuming you have any).

What does the real world combatant have to do with any of the argument over which is a superior game mechanic in a wargame?

A turn in ASL is a systematic recreation of 5 minutes of actual time. That it takes longer than 5 minutes is no shock.

That a single turn of Advanced Third Reich is a systematic recreation of 3 months of actual time is just that, a recreation of 3 months of actual time.

I can play a 6 year spanning game of A3R, in a week under dedicated conditions.

In a shooter game, all you get to do is run around shooting at things. I know, I have seen every single one of them on anothers machine.
I also know that you can spawn endlessly in a single location. I know that you can shoot your own side if it amuses you. I know you can cop out and play sniper to the annoyance of your side as well.
Personally I would rather join a gun club, shoot real weapons and play splat ball with the members.

In an RTS game you get no recreation of anything at all. You can click on this or click on that. If you do nothing you get nothing. If you don't command everything, you get a lop sided innaccurate simulation. But you can't click on everything, so you can't recreate everything.
If your design is not accurately recreating anything, then it might as well not bother trying at all.

Oh and please stop speaking for your fellow Americans, I am sure they would rather state their opinions, than have you do it for them.
Interesting eh, how you are the only one arguing your points here eh, can this be an accident?
Maybe CSIS is knocking them off hehe.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame designs that don't have much to do with wargaming Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI