Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 1:16:54 PM   
Icedawg

Wow! This thread brings back bad memories of a college sailing trip gone really bad.

Some buddies of mine started a sailing club at our school and received a donated boat from a family friend. I had never sailed before, but went out with them for a test sail on Oneida Lake (a medium-sized but very shallow lake in central New York). We were out for maybe half an hour and the boat capsized, which, as my friends explained, was rather common for a small sail boat like the one we had. As we tried to right the boat, the center board and mast snapped, leaving us with an upside down hull which sank about ten minutes later.

This left us out in the lake with a pretty heavy storm developing, darkness rapidly approaching and no boat. We tried to swim for shore, but got caught in a current that pulled us parallel to shore. We could see the house lights on the shore, but they weren't getting any closer. They were just sliding along to our right. The waves were nuts. With the strong wind and the shallow depth of the lake, they were at least 4 or 5 feet high. I thought for sure we were all goners. That's when the Gordon Lightfoot song started going through my head, especially the line,

When suppertime came the old cook came on deck sayin'.
"Fellas, it's too rough t'feed ya."
At seven pm a main hatchway caved in; he said,
"Fellas, it's bin good t'know ya!"

Darkness came and we all pretty much thought were were fish food. But at what must have been around 10 pm, one of my friends spotted something in the moonlight bobbing up and down a couple of waves over. We swam over toward it and heard a voice calling to us. It was a windsurfer who also got caught out in the storm. His rig was pretty much destroyed, but he still had his board. With the strong waves, he wasn't able to make any progress towards shore alone, but with the four of us holding onto the board and kicking, we finally made it to shore around midnight. (To this day, I am absolutely amazed at how lucky we all were - what were the odds of us drifting to within sight of that guy and his board?!)

We had been in the water for about 7 hours and when I felt that sandy bottom on my toes, I just about cried. It was the best feeling ever! Needless to say, I've never been on a boat out on the water since (and never will be again). And whenever I hear "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", I get goosebumps!

< Message edited by Icedawg -- 6/26/2012 1:21:51 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 1:20:44 PM   
Icedawg

Oops. Mistake editing.

< Message edited by Icedawg -- 6/26/2012 1:22:16 PM >

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 2:44:54 PM   
oldman45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: 21pzr

Now for my unadulteredly partisan pitch. As a note to all who enjoy AE, and love to sink all the xAK's you can, remember that the US Merchant Marine (civilians) had a casualty rate for WWII that was only exceeded by the USMC.

The rate for the USN submarine service was by far the highest at about 1 in 5 KIA.

"A total of 52 submarines were lost, with 374 officers and 3,131 enlisted men. These personnel losses represented 16% of the officer and 13% of the enlisted operational personnel . . .

. . . The 52 submarines represented 18% of all submarines which saw combat duty. This loss of 18%, while high in comparison to the losses sustained by other types of ships of the Allied Forces is considered remarkably low when considered in relation to the results achieved, or when compared with the losses sustained by enemy submarine forces."

http://www.valoratsea.com/losses1.htm

Cursory on-line reaearch shows the merchant marine loss rate to be about 3.9%.

American Merchant Marine

Mariners suffered the highest rate of casualties of any service in World War II, but unfortunately, the U.S. Merchant Marine had no official historians and researchers, thus casualty statistics vary.

Service Number serving War Dead Percent Ratio
Merchant Marine 243,000* 9,521** 3.90% 1 in 26
Marines 669,108 19,733 2.94% 1 in 34
Army 11,268,000 234,874 2.08% 1 in 48
Navy 4,183,466 36,958 0.88% 1 in 114
Coast Guard 242,093 574 0.24% 1 in 421
Total 16,576,667 295,790 1.78% 1 in 56

*Number varies by source and ranges from 215,000 to 285,000. War Shipping Administration Press Release 2514, January 1, 1946, lists 243,000
**Total killed at sea, POW killed, plus died from wounds ashore

Isn't the internet great.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 3:15:38 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Wow! This thread brings back bad memories of a college sailing trip gone really bad.

Some buddies of mine started a sailing club at our school and received a donated boat from a family friend. I had never sailed before, but went out with them for a test sail on Oneida Lake (a medium-sized but very shallow lake in central New York). We were out for maybe half an hour and the boat capsized, which, as my friends explained, was rather common for a small sail boat like the one we had. As we tried to right the boat, the center board and mast snapped, leaving us with an upside down hull which sank about ten minutes later.

This left us out in the lake with a pretty heavy storm developing, darkness rapidly approaching and no boat. We tried to swim for shore, but got caught in a current that pulled us parallel to shore. We could see the house lights on the shore, but they weren't getting any closer. They were just sliding along to our right. The waves were nuts. With the strong wind and the shallow depth of the lake, they were at least 4 or 5 feet high. I thought for sure we were all goners. That's when the Gordon Lightfoot song started going through my head, especially the line,

Darkness came and we all pretty much thought were were fish food. But at what must have been around 10 pm, one of my friends spotted something in the moonlight bobbing up and down a couple of waves over. We swam over toward it and heard a voice calling to us. It was a windsurfer who also got caught out in the storm. His rig was pretty much destroyed, but he still had his board. With the strong waves, he wasn't able to make any progress towards shore alone, but with the four of us holding onto the board and kicking, we finally made it to shore around midnight. (To this day, I am absolutely amazed at how lucky we all were - what were the odds of us drifting to within sight of that guy and his board?!)

We had been in the water for about 7 hours and when I felt that sandy bottom on my toes, I just about cried. It was the best feeling ever! Needless to say, I've never been on a boat out on the water since (and never will be again). And whenever I hear "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", I get goosebumps!

Wow! Almost like being born again.
A good buddy of mine lost his grandfather, dad and an uncle out fishing on Lake of the Woods (that nob on the top of Minnesota) to a storm that suddenly brewed up and didn't make it back to shore in time.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 4:59:20 PM   
The Gnome

A REALLY good video of the song, and vids of the actual Edmund Fitzgerald on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 5:50:50 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Now for my unadulteredly partisan pitch. As a note to all who enjoy AE, and love to sink all the xAK's you can, remember that the US Merchant Marine (civilians) had a casualty rate for WWII that was only exceeded by the USMC.

The rate for the USN submarine service was by far the highest at about 1 in 5 KIA.

"A total of 52 submarines were lost, with 374 officers and 3,131 enlisted men. These personnel losses represented 16% of the officer and 13% of the enlisted operational personnel . . .

. . . The 52 submarines represented 18% of all submarines which saw combat duty. This loss of 18%, while high in comparison to the losses sustained by other types of ships of the Allied Forces is considered remarkably low when considered in relation to the results achieved, or when compared with the losses sustained by enemy submarine forces."

http://www.valoratsea.com/losses1.htm

Cursory on-line reaearch shows the merchant marine loss rate to be about 3.9%.

American Merchant Marine

Mariners suffered the highest rate of casualties of any service in World War II, but unfortunately, the U.S. Merchant Marine had no official historians and researchers, thus casualty statistics vary.

Service Number serving War Dead Percent Ratio
Merchant Marine 243,000* 9,521** 3.90% 1 in 26
Marines 669,108 19,733 2.94% 1 in 34
Army 11,268,000 234,874 2.08% 1 in 48
Navy 4,183,466 36,958 0.88% 1 in 114
Coast Guard 242,093 574 0.24% 1 in 421
Total 16,576,667 295,790 1.78% 1 in 56

*Number varies by source and ranges from 215,000 to 285,000. War Shipping Administration Press Release 2514, January 1, 1946, lists 243,000
**Total killed at sea, POW killed, plus died from wounds ashore

Isn't the internet great.

That's the source I used in my post.

My point, which you may have missed, is you can use statistics to portray the same events in many ways. Lumping KIAs into "services" is one way to cut the data. The USN had immense shore-based infrastructure in training, repair, logistics, and intelligence, and those folks were never in any danger from combat. Ditto the Army. Of sea-going USN sailors, many never saw any action as they were in the military equivalent of the merchant marine.

But when you untangle the stats, and look deeper into the USN, you find the numbers I posted. The submarine "service" was a separate, mini-navy. It's own HQ structures, ship types, training pipeline, command quals, bases, etc. It was all-volunteer. And it had the highest casualty rate of the war. Far more than the Marines as you show above. And far more than the Merchant Marine. If you started the war already in subs, well, good luck to you.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/26/2012 5:52:09 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 5:55:08 PM   
mdiehl

We can all agree that all of those tasks were risky. I have tons of regard for the MM and the submarine service. I would not have wanted to serve in either. In the submarines, well, you're under water. No thanks. In the MM, you're in a slow target with little capability to even shoot back, even if you ever see the U-boat that's after your ship.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

Post #: 37
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 7:19:14 PM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Yikes, quite a yarn. It's amazing how quickly things can go from fun day to we're screwed. I've sailed and power boated all my life, and there have been a few hairy moments, but nothing like that. Don't think I could ever give it up, though. My English genes love the water too much.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/26/2012 11:24:43 PM   
21pzr

While I don't disagree with Bullwinkle about the high loss rate in the sub service, remember that they were in the Navy, while every single merchant mariner lost was a civilian, including those who chose to make the Murmansk or Malta runs several times, and many who were torpedoed more than once. I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "military equivalent of the merchant marine", as only those ships that were classed as "AP" or "AK" were naval vessels with Navy crews, and these were in combat situations, as mdiehl says, without much hope of hitting back. Every other cargo and passenger ship ("xAK and xAP") were manned by civilian mariners, who put themselves in harms way many times. All of the services quoted by Oldman had enormous logistical tails, while every merchant mariner was on a ship. It took until the 80's before there was any action taken to grant merchant mariners who served in WWII veteran status.

As for Maine Maritime Academy, no it is not federally funded, nor are the other state maritime academies (Great Lakes, New York, Massachussets, Texas A&M, California), which are great institutions that provide quality graduates to the merchant marine every year. My point is that none of the other federal service academies (West Point, Annapolis, Air Force, or Coast Guard) ever sent undergraduates to war, and were not granted a Battle Standard by the DOD, which displays the battle ribbons won by the undergraduates.

I myself was an undergraduate cadet during the Vietnam war, and sailed ships into that war zone, and more recently did the same during the first Gulf war, and came under SCUD fire in the port of Dammam. I have great respect for our armed forces, and the men and women who serve, but would only like recognition of those of us who help them do their job by bringing the bullets and beans, trucks and tanks. I am proud of my Vietnam and Desert Storm campaign ribbons, and it was only my wife's reasoning that it was a young man's place that kept me from going back to the Gulf for Iraqi Freedom. I'm way too old to be sitting on 30,000 tons of explosives. Read "Sailing into the Abyss" about the trials of the SS Badger State during Vietnam, to learn about merchant seamen carrying war materials (explosives).

Thanks to all our veterans, from all wars, and to our current service personnel, for a job well done.

Bill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 1:46:09 AM   
oldman45

I don't think anybody is diminishing the courage and sacrifice of the merchant marine. They do deserve recognition.

(in reply to 21pzr)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 2:32:07 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

While I don't disagree with Bullwinkle about the high loss rate in the sub service, remember that they were in the Navy, while every single merchant mariner lost was a civilian, including those who chose to make the Murmansk or Malta runs several times, and many who were torpedoed more than once.

True. And many/most in the Navy were drafted, and then volunteered for subs. Merchant sailors, to be fair and complete, got union wages and benefits, unlike the gun crews on many of the vessels. The history of the thing isn't complete without that. And if a merchant mariner thought the run was too dangerous he could stay home. Navy sailors didn't have that option.

My point about sub figures is only to point out that agglomerations of stats can cause odd conclusions to be reached. If you put sea-going USN to sea-going MM the comparison changes a lot. If you only complare those on combatants it changes once again.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "military equivalent of the merchant marine", as only those ships that were classed as "AP" or "AK" were naval vessels with Navy crews, and these were in combat situations,

At the end of the run, sometimes. Other times they were off-loading at islands and bases already taken. And the IJN had no submarine threat to compare to the U-Boat war. MMs on Liberty and Victory ships making runs from the WC to the war zone were mostly very safe, as were the Navy crews. Not at all like the Atlantic.

as mdiehl says, without much hope of hitting back. Every other cargo and passenger ship ("xAK and xAP") were manned by civilian mariners, who put themselves in harms way many times. All of the services quoted by Oldman had enormous logistical tails, while every merchant mariner was on a ship.

Tails largely provided by the Navy. I ack. that, but I point out that skews the stats.

It took until the 80's before there was any action taken to grant merchant mariners who served in WWII veteran status.

A political issue not related to my points. IMO it would have been better to have drafted the MM and integrated them into the War Dept. But as I'm sure you are more familiar than am I, there were massive politcal forces at work to protect the union status of MMs during the war. It got very messy.

As for Maine Maritime Academy, no it is not federally funded, nor are the other state maritime academies (Great Lakes, New York, Massachussets, Texas A&M, California), which are great institutions that provide quality graduates to the merchant marine every year. My point is that none of the other federal service academies (West Point, Annapolis, Air Force, or Coast Guard) ever sent undergraduates to war,

But they did change the program to three years. And USNA midshipmen do full summers at sea in I believe two of the years. I'd have to check, but I'd bet some were on ships in war zones during Korea and/or Vietnam.

and were not granted a Battle Standard by the DOD, which displays the battle ribbons won by the undergraduates.

I myself was an undergraduate cadet during the Vietnam war, and sailed ships into that war zone, and more recently did the same during the first Gulf war, and came under SCUD fire in the port of Dammam. I have great respect for our armed forces, and the men and women who serve, but would only like recognition of those of us who help them do their job by bringing the bullets and beans, trucks and tanks. I am proud of my Vietnam and Desert Storm campaign ribbons, and it was only my wife's reasoning that it was a young man's place that kept me from going back to the Gulf for Iraqi Freedom. I'm way too old to be sitting on 30,000 tons of explosives. Read "Sailing into the Abyss" about the trials of the SS Badger State during Vietnam, to learn about merchant seamen carrying war materials (explosives).

I'm happy you served. I have no problem calling you a veteran. I only want to compare your experience in Vietnam to my OCS instructor, who as a BM3 drove a barge loaded with 30,000 gallons of avgas in rubber bladders up the Perfume River into Hue during the Tet Offensive, taking small arms fire and RPGs from the shoreline. He joined the Navy to avoid the draft, and in 1968 was making $238.50 per month. So it's relative.

Thanks to all our veterans, from all wars, and to our current service personnel, for a job well done.

From me as well.

Bill

The Moose

(in reply to 21pzr)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 6:01:19 AM   
vettim89

Regarding the Fitz, there is no definitive answer to her loss. Thanks CF for posting the link on the fact that the original USCG report was not universally accepted. The ship was actually travelling in close company with another ship, SS Arthur M Anderson. The two captains had been in near constant contact throughout the storm. There was no emergency call nor distress signal sent from the Fitzgerald. The captain of the Anderson lost sight of her in a snow sqall and when the squall cleared, she was gone.

Wiki

To give you an idea of what the weather was like:

quote:

In 2005 NOAA and the NWS ran a computer simulation, including weather and wave conditions, covering the period from November 9, 1975 until the early morning of November 11.[96] Analysis of the simulation showed that two separate areas of high wind appeared over Lake Superior at 4:00 p.m. on November 10. One had speeds in excess of 43 knots (80 km/h; 49 mph) and the other winds in excess of 40 knots (74 km/h; 46 mph).[97] The southeastern part of the lake, the direction in which the Fitzgerald was heading, had the highest winds. Average wave heights increased to near 19 feet (5.8 m) by 7:00 p.m., November 10, and winds exceeded 50 mph (43 kn; 80 km/h) over most of southeastern Lake Superior.[98]

The Fitzgerald sank at the eastern edge of the area of high wind[99] where the long fetch, or distance that wind blows over water, produced significant waves averaging over 23 feet (7.0 m) by 7:00 p.m. and over 25 feet (7.6 m) at 8:00 p.m. The simulation also showed one in 100 waves reaching 36 feet (11 m) and one out of every 1,000 reaching 46 feet (14 m). Since the ship was heading east-southeastward, the waves likely caused the Fitzgerald to roll heavily.[100]

At the time of the sinking, the ship Arthur M. Anderson reported northwest winds of 57 mph (50 kn; 92 km/h), which matches the simulation analysis result of 54 mph (47 kn; 87 km/h).[100] The analysis further showed that the maximum sustained winds reached near hurricane force of about 70 mph (61 kn; 110 km/h) with gusts to 86 miles per hour (75 kn; 138 km/h) at the time and location where the Fitzgerald sank.

Note, the Fitz only had eleven feet of freeboard fully loaded.

I was at Whitefish Point two Summers ago. Even on a bright Summer day, Superior seemed PO'd.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 42
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 9:56:51 AM   
moonraker65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3oJpKmy6RA

Youtube video of the SS Arthur M Anderson leaving Duluth MN during a very cold winter morning. The Anderson was the last ship to speak to the Fitz and the first on the scene after she sank

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 2:37:29 PM   
Canoerebel

Very well done video on the Edmund Fitzergerald, including audio of the search and rescue effort.  This will be especially interesting to those not familiar with the wreck or Gordon Lightfoot's haunting ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw&feature=related

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 3:03:59 PM   
tocaff

I went to college with a guy who worked on the ore boats during the summers. Naturally his nickname was Ore Boat. He told us that they had CG mandated lifeboat drills where they would lower the boats and row around the ship. He mentioned that ore boats had the capability of going down faster than they could gets the boats into the water. This was in the late '60s.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Post #: 45
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 3:29:59 PM   
Mundy

After years of resisting, on a trip back to Superior, the wife and I took a harbor cruise there.

On the Duluth side, just back behind the ore docks was an older freighter. It was announced that she had served in the Pacific during WWII, and was credited with shooting down a Japanese plane with the bow mounted gun she had at the time. I don't remember the name, though.

Ed-

** EDIT **
Here she is...

Link

< Message edited by Mundy -- 6/27/2012 5:14:02 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald - 6/27/2012 11:39:28 PM   
CaptDave

This has been an interesting thread, but does anyone have a way to get that song out of my head, where it's been for 3 days now???

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The Edmund Fitzgerald Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI