Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kickstarter for DW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Kickstarter for DW2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/7/2012 7:14:32 PM   
Kal Naar

I believe a DW project could be sucessfully launched as kickstarter project.
This could create a lot of awareness for this amazing game, and at the same time increasing the budget available for the project.
Which would hoppefully translate to a better game.

What are your thoughts on this?
Post #: 1
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/7/2012 7:40:13 PM   
ASHBERY76

Publishers do not kickstart.

(in reply to Kal Naar)
Post #: 2
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 3:16:24 AM   
jpwrunyan

Actually, some publishers DO kickstart.
TMZ is a board game publisher that kickstarted Eminent Domain.
I suppose I am being pedantic, but your point would be better expressed as publishers usually dont kickstart, particularly when they already have an established brand name and consumer base.
Kickstarting is optimal for new games/first time publishers who are low on capital.
Anyway, I know you knew this and it could be inferred from your response; this post is just to be abundantly clear.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 3:54:23 AM   
Haree78

Well Kickstarter is being used for more than it is was originally intended I would say. I have seen publishers use it as a medium to gain massive advertising. It also allows them to say "look, the more of you invest now the better we will make the product" and use the extra backers and the extra money backers are giving to make the game better, pay better artists/voice actors etc. etc.
Also some people are willing to pay way more than you would pay for an average video game if the game is claiming to be exactly what they want, others will throw more money in because of preorder/kickstarter exclusives.
I have seen some companies use Kickstarter in a very clever way, making products that are normally quite niche and difficult to market become massively successful. It's worth considering but I think kickstarter is going to boom soon before it dies out from over exposure and companies not seeing the kind of advertising they would get before with few companies using it.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 4
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 8:51:04 AM   
jpwrunyan

Good points. Also, some products have the names of kickstarters in the credits which is not nothing and treat it as sort of a pre-order system. Still, doesnt kickstarter get a cut of profits? Thats one drawback I can think of. I mean no way would Blizzard use kickstarter even though I am sure kickstarter would drool at the chance. I could be wrong though.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 5
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 12:59:56 PM   
ASHBERY76

You seem to be mixing up publishers with developers.I have not seen any computer game publisher use a kickstart.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 6
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 1:13:04 PM   
Haree78

Yeah they take a big cut, only smaller publishers would consider it.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 1:35:14 PM   
solops

"Kickstarter for DW2 "

Not interested in DW2. Still playing DW1, waiting on cleaned up game and expansions. DW2 speculation is grossly premature.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 8
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 3:16:52 PM   
Haree78

o_____O

Odd...

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 9
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/9/2012 10:54:19 PM   
Kal Naar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Well Kickstarter is being used for more than it is was originally intended I would say. I have seen publishers use it as a medium to gain massive advertising. It also allows them to say "look, the more of you invest now the better we will make the product" and use the extra backers and the extra money backers are giving to make the game better, pay better artists/voice actors etc. etc.
Also some people are willing to pay way more than you would pay for an average video game if the game is claiming to be exactly what they want, others will throw more money in because of preorder/kickstarter exclusives.
I have seen some companies use Kickstarter in a very clever way, making products that are normally quite niche and difficult to market become massively successful. It's worth considering but I think kickstarter is going to boom soon before it dies out from over exposure and companies not seeing the kind of advertising they would get before with few companies using it.

I agree advertising is surely something this game needs to increase it's fan base.
Also it would not be too bad if it allows to hire aditional help (hint AI Programmer hint).

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

"Kickstarter for DW2 "

Not interested in DW2. Still playing DW1, waiting on cleaned up game and expansions. DW2 speculation is grossly premature.

I don't see a DW2 as a gross premature thought, the original was launched two years ago and there is already two expansions and one more possibly coming.
IMO, there should be something more definitive to stir some evolution to the game, perhaps a very good expansion can achieve this but a sequel project can most definitely achieve it.

edit: typo

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 10
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/10/2012 2:33:16 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

You seem to be mixing up publishers with developers.I have not seen any computer game publisher use a kickstart.

Speaking for myself, I am not. But I take your point, which is that kickstarter is originally an alternative to using a standard publisher. Regardless, there are few publishers that do not also develop. In fact I cannot even think of one, but would be interested to know.

And as I think was stated already, there are publishers that have used kickstarter for whatever reason. Again, I doubt Matrix Games would use kickstarter (as in I doubt pigs will ever become airborne) but the idea was not categorically absurd.

@re dw2
I also have no interest whatsoever in DW2. This whole thread is academic to me. What really interests me is publishing games on kickstarter.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
RE: Kickstarter for DW2 - 7/11/2012 9:51:28 PM   
Kal Naar

Penny Arcade launched a Kickstarter to remove ads from their site.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/575109064/penny-arcade-sells-out?ref=live

Their goal is 250K and with 34 days to go they're almost funded.
Kickstarter is really oppening a whole range of possibilities for different business, in this case for a web comics publisher.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Kickstarter for DW2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI