Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bandit Jim vs Tomanbeg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Bandit Jim vs Tomanbeg Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bandit Jim vs Tomanbeg - 12/6/2002 12:07:48 PM   
Tomanbeg

This is an open game played w/o security in slot 15. This is an experiment to see if new guys find it helpful to have PBEM games that they can look at both sides and follow the action. If the FNG's do find it useful, maybe we can get some of the old pro's to expose themselves, so to speak. Show the rookies enough different styles so they have a bse to develop their own approach to the game. So here goes;

Excuse the typos. I wanted to do this before I got cold feet.

It's the Summer of '46 and Patton has been driving through the Balkans and is now in the Ukraine, headed for the Don. A reinforced recon element of CCA of the famous 4th armored has set up a roadblock East of Berzovka and is waiting for the red ball express to catch up. The Soviet commander has been waiting for this. Hoping to catch the american spearhead off balance and short on POL and ammo he attacks.

Mission: Retain control of Berzovka and the road running east out of Berzovka. There are 9 250 point end-of-game v-hexes in or near Berzovka(which would be called a one horse village if they hadn't eaten the horse last winter). There are 5 more 250 point EOG hexes on the south edge of the map. the dirt road coming into Berzovka has 2 20 point-per-turn v-hexes a klick or so out of town and 2 more worth 50 points per tun at the cross roads of another dirt road headed north. There is a total of 7500 points at the end of the game and 3500 points split up on a turn by turn basis. Most are in the southwest corner of the map.

Enemy: Since this is a computer pick the units game, I expect to see at mix of T-34 types. Maybe a few T-44's and some IS-III's. It is set up as a Soviet advance so he should get some Off Board arty. HGoppefully noy a lot. He should have good experience levels and so-so moral levels and his leaders should have good rally numbers. He has a 3-2 point advantage, which is sort of tight considering all the v-hexes are within my grasp at the start of the game. But the map is not very big, so he will be sble to get a force edge where ever he wants it. I played Bandit jim at SP2 in '96 or '97, maybe '98. a few years ago anyway. IIRC he had the US vs my Soviet in the mid'60's. He set up a firing line and slowly and methodicaly advanced across the map. I couldn't do a thing with him and lost by about a 2 almost 3 to 1 margin. I think. I do remeber thinking "this guy goes nowhere without an overwatch."

Troops: What troops? The Computer gave my a heavy recon force. I'm going to have to use my reinforcement request early to order me some infantry. I might be able to get 3 infantry companies. The problem with that is my reinforcement hex is in the wrong place. I will have to move the legs almost 5 Km's after I get them, across wooded terrain with no trails or roads. So that means I'll have to eith take as many rifle men as I can get and hope I can move them fast enough, or take some armored infantry and get them there is time, but without much strength. I've decided to wait until after the first turn bombardment to decide. If I see a lot of arty, then I'll have to go with the armored infantry, if I don't then it might be worth the gamble to try and truck in some infantry. The rifle companies are more durable then the armored infantry and I do need them for defense. I have good armor though. Don't know if I have enough.

Terrain: Where the Steppes start. The Western map is wooded with some 30 metere elevations. The eastern section is rolling grasslands, with patches of trees. There are trails through the woods in the SW. Good ambush country, which I have to use to my advantage. Jim is cautious, but with 25 turns I don't have the depth to use that caution against him. Start lines are seperated by 3 Km's and are a Km in from the edge, so he only has to move 3 hexes per turn to go.. alll... theee..... Waay!

Overview. I have to stretch him out. There is nothing up north so I will put my light armor there and a recon platoon and press forward. If I make him put units there he won't be able to use those units in the south. If he doesn't put units there, i can run my light tanks thru for a raid on his rear. Also the reinforcement hex is up there(for all you rookies that fear reinforcements, remember that your opponents reinforcement hexes are opposite yours. If you can get something with a sachel charge next to his reinforcement hex, you can rock his world. Kill a unit in a hex with 20 units and the 19 survivors go into deep supression. I have seen them rout right off the map at the end of the turn. A suicide mision, but a good one). Jims best bet is a drive right up center a little south of the midpoint. right where a trail runs. 2nd best is a drive along the south edge combined with an advance down the Road. See my set up. I'm set up for the second, but I can adjust to cover the first. My goal is to hold him off till my reinforcements get into position. I figure 6 to 8 turns. If I'm still fighting on turn 16, I'll have a real chance of winning. I hope he doesn't get Air. A flight of humpbacks or stormbirds would be a ball-buster.
T

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Bandit Jim vs Tomanbeg Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI