Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just started playing the game - questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Just started playing the game - questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just started playing the game - questions - 7/12/2012 10:23:27 PM   
Turbo823

Have the latest patch and manual, and read through it several times. I am really struggling to understand some things. I've searched in the forums for answers.

Hopefully someone can help:

1) What is 'TOE'? CV = Combat value?

2) Why do NKVD border regiments and SEC units not rout? I've gotten 999 odds and they retreat several times.

3) Should I move airfields and HQs every turn to stay next to the advancing units (playing Germany)? Is there any penalty to doing this?

4) Is there a beginner manual for this game? I am finding some concepts like support units, reserve units, difficult to understand.

5) I know you can split units into smaller ones like regiments but can you move a component from one unit to another?

Thank you in advance for your kind response!
Post #: 1
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/12/2012 11:07:21 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Turbo823

Have the latest patch and manual, and read through it several times. I am really struggling to understand some things. I've searched in the forums for answers.

TOE =Table of Organization and Equipment. In short a table of the different devices/squads/weapons and how many of each a unit holds. In case ur unit is at 100% TOE it has all the devices/squads/weapons it can have. At 80% is lacks some of its devices/squads/weapons and can gain them back trough replacement if the stuff is in the pool.
CV is combat value yes. Basicly a numerical reprensetation of the combat strength of the unit. Based on the units current TOE, moral, experience, fatigue and so on.

quote:

2) Why do NKVD border regiments and SEC units not rout? I've gotten 999 odds and they retreat several times.

NKVD regiments have intrinsicly higher moral cuz they are "political border units" so they fail moral rolls less. Making them retreat more so than rout compared to divs and other units. They will quickly be disbanded especially if they are under strength aka increasingly less than 100% TOE. By turn 6-7 they should all be gone. It helps making them retreat as they lose men and ToE that way.

quote:

3) Should I move airfields and HQs every turn to stay next to the advancing units (playing Germany)? Is there any penalty to doing this?

Well opinion will differ on this cuz there are drawbacks. For HQ if u ask me the question is easily answered. Move them even during ur turns to be within command distance to combats as they occur during the turn. The difference leader rolls make on modified CV is huge. While for the HQ a unit is directly attached too it only matters if its within command distance or not for roll, for higher HQs the distance matters more so that the closer the better.
The problem is the more u move and HQ are vehicle/truck heavy the more of those gets destroyed and damaged. Also the further units are from wokring raillines the more trucks need to be used to supply units. The deeper / futher from railheads u move the more trucks u lose.
So it question of losing trucks vs getting as high modified CV as possible. While playing germany in '41 to me there is no doubt. Chances of winning here and now outweighs losing trucks, but as said opinions differ.

For airfield the drackback is the same losing trucks when moving and in getting supplies, but also moving lowers aircrafts availblity for that turn. So they can do fewer missions and for a lesser distance from the airfield. Problem ofc is if its to far back the distance might get longer than the range of the aircrafts. So the alot depence on style of play and how ur opponent uses his planes.

quote:

4) Is there a beginner manual for this game? I am finding some concepts like support units, reserve units, difficult to understand.

Some one else should prolly answer here its not my strong suit. That said there are threads in the forum discussing some of this. IIRC there is a thread in the warroom stickied that list some of them.

quote:

5) I know you can split units into smaller ones like regiments but can you move a component from one unit to another?

Not directly. U can merge units, u can look in the manual under that, but i wouldnt worry to much about that as german.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/12/2012 11:36:30 PM >

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 2
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/12/2012 11:51:46 PM   
Turbo823

Thanks Walloc! I hope I can impose with another question.

What is the difference between the 1941-1945 ALT and the regular 1941-1945? If someone could point me to the info - thanks!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/12/2012 11:55:15 PM   
Walloc

In the regular scn/campaign germans need 290 IIRC VP for auto victory and the game runs to start of oct 1945 or so.
In the alt scn auto victory is 260 VP and stops in may or june 1945, i ferget.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/12/2012 11:57:00 PM >

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 4
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/13/2012 9:01:14 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc
quote:

Well opinion will differ on this cuz there are drawbacks. For HQ if u ask me the question is easily answered. Move them even during ur turns to be within command distance to combats as they occur during the turn. The difference leader rolls make on modified CV is huge. While for the HQ a unit is directly attached too it only matters if its within command distance or not for roll, for higher HQs the distance matters more so that the closer the better.
The problem is the more u move and HQ are vehicle/truck heavy the more of those gets destroyed and damaged. Also the further units are from wokring raillines the more trucks need to be used to supply units. The deeper / futher from railheads u move the more trucks u lose.
So it question of losing trucks vs getting as high modified CV as possible. While playing germany in '41 to me there is no doubt. Chances of winning here and now outweighs losing trucks, but as said opinions differ.

For airfield the drackback is the same losing trucks when moving and in getting supplies, but also moving lowers aircrafts availblity for that turn. So they can do fewer missions and for a lesser distance from the airfield. Problem ofc is if its to far back the distance might get longer than the range of the aircrafts. So the alot depence on style of play and how ur opponent uses his planes.

Also watch the %-tage of flown air-miles since moving airbases causes that as well. Besides not being able to transfer air units above 0% (hence do transfers before anything else in the turn), flown air miles due to movement also mean less mission miles. That can be a problem if you use the Luftwaffe as a big fuel hauler, as often seems very useful in 41 and sometimes still in 42. Worse, some air mission can only be executed with no flown miles to start with.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 5
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/13/2012 6:35:00 PM   
Turbo823

quote:

In the regular scn/campaign germans need 290 IIRC VP for auto victory and the game runs to start of oct 1945 or so.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Which do most people play on here?

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 6
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/13/2012 7:07:34 PM   
Walloc

quote:

quote:

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Which do most people play on here?

Its a fairly new addition to the game, so im not sure to be frank. My assumption is that newly created games tend to be of the alt version, but as said thats a guess.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/13/2012 7:56:29 PM >

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 7
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/14/2012 3:01:24 AM   
IdahoNYer

Scar and I just started a new PBEM with the ALT victory after finishing one to Oct 45. As German tank production shut off in April, I think the ALT scenario is the way to go

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/14/2012 4:11:10 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

Thank you in advance for your kind response!

If you truely want to learn the game and be a good German or Russian commander the #1 thing is play vs yourself.

Play turns 1 - 7 over and over so you know what is risky and what is not, setting the table for the rest of the summer.

The game as all games are is based is on an algorithm(many). You can take allot of guessing of what the enemy's true CV value is by simply playing yourself. Write down what you see, as you build a data base you will have a good idea of hows the system works. So when you see a 20 CV unit in the woods( you should record true CV's) on turns 2-7 you will know its not and have a good idea of what the CV value really is.

Some guys track units during the game so as to know that what is required to win. Also there is the GG factor, one can get around that by doing all your pocket attacks first (Lvov ect). Do some attacks you know that are risky and will lose. Also reduce the turn one pockets slowly as this will pay off over time.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 7/14/2012 4:12:15 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 9
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/14/2012 5:17:26 PM   
Peltonx

Also as the german learning how the supply/fuel system works is huge.

This might take a while, but again the key is playing vs yourself. Save every turn, that way you can go back and forth messing around recording what unit has what MP's based on air drops/ HQ and distance from railheads. Record city supply dumps, there is allot to this and will take longer then figuring out the Cv and combat systems.

The supply system is "very tweaky" and can be played in your favor once you figure out how it likes to work.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 10
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/15/2012 7:20:09 AM   
AFV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton
Some guys track units during the game so as to know that what is required to win. Also there is the GG factor, one can get around that by doing all your pocket attacks first (Lvov ect). Do some attacks you know that are risky and will lose. Also reduce the turn one pockets slowly as this will pay off over time.

What is the GG factor you need to get around?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 11
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/16/2012 1:04:12 AM   
carlkay58

The Gary Grisby (GG) factor. At least I presume that is what Pelton meant!

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 12
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/16/2012 4:43:16 AM   
AFV

I assume that also, still, specifically, what is it?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 13
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/17/2012 12:09:26 PM   
carlkay58

Just Gary's way of programming that can supply great randomization to the results so you are never able to be 100% certain of the outcome.

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 14
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/17/2012 12:24:51 PM   
swkuh

GGfactor... who'd a thought, but that's great. BTW, agree that some unexpected results improve the game.

Maybe someone can help with another term often used: IIRC. Seems I can't fathom the obvious. What's it mean, anyone?

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 15
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/17/2012 12:31:52 PM   
76mm

If I Recall Correctly...

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 16
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/17/2012 1:16:21 PM   
swkuh

Oh my God, If I Recall Correctly I once Knew that!

OMG, IIRC, IOKT! Hmmm...

Thanks.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 17
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/18/2012 12:51:40 PM   
turtlefang

I also just started playing the game and have reached the 42 summer as the russian versus the AI. Per the manual, it states that a new airbase will be formed if the ratio of planes is six to one. I have at least six planes in each airbase EXCEPT the frozen airbase in the TransCas yet no airbases are being created.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

(in reply to Turbo823)
Post #: 18
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/18/2012 12:57:09 PM   
elmo3

The ratio refers to the total number of air group units (not planes) compared to the number of airbases. So for example if you have 20 airbases already you would need more than 120 air group units to trigger formation of a new airbase.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 19
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/20/2012 1:54:24 AM   
turtlefang

Sorry, I meant air groups not airplanes.

So based on your response, I assume you need:

(#Airbases*6)+1 air groups deployed on the map; and it doesn't matter if these air groups are all at one base or distributed across multiple bases? And this has to include the frozen airbases as well as the non-frozen airbases.

So, if you have 20 airbases, you would need to have (20*6)+1=121 air groups deployed on Russian airbases to generate a new airbase.

Thanks,

turtlefang

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 20
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/20/2012 11:19:52 PM   
carlkay58

Correct.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 21
RE: Just started playing the game - questions - 7/22/2012 12:26:20 AM   
turtlefang

Thanks to all, that worked and I'm getting one airbase per turn now.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Just started playing the game - questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI