Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mines in the Pacific--Historical View

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mines in the Pacific--Historical View Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/27/2012 6:39:26 PM   
Q-Ball

In a general sense, it seems like the different combattants came into the Pacific War with varying ideas on the use of mines.

From reading KAIGUN, I know the IJN was definitely interested in mine warfare, an outgrowth of the role that mines played in the Russo Japanese War (where the greatest loss the IJN suffered was to Russian mines, when 2 pre-dreadnaughts were lost to a minefield). As a result of this experience, the IJN placed a fairly high emphasis on mine warfare, with the result that several minelayers were built, up to the large minelayer/cruiser OKINOSHIMA. Given the actual role that mines played in the Pacific, this has to be considered a waste of valuable resources in retrospect.

I don't really know, but from the OOB it looks like the USN didn't really place that much emphasis on it. There were few dedicated USN Minelayers, and they were really for harbor defense. Offensive minelaying didn't seem to figure into USN doctrine much.

The Dutch Navy, for whatever reason, seems mine obsessed from the OOB. The Dutch start with several dedicated minelayers, and piles of minesweepers, including so many coastal minesweepers you want to just sink some to get rid of them. They built minelaying subs, and seems like mines were a big part of Dutch doctrine. No idea, maybe it was thought of as an equalizer, or defensive weapon.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone better read on the subject can shed a little more light on pre-war mine doctrine, and any tidbits on the limited roles that mines played. I know a handful of ships were lost to mines in the Solomons, but in the end mines played a very minor role in the Pacific. That's my understanding, anyway.

Post #: 1
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/27/2012 7:59:56 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

a pbem game: 3 japanese CA hit a minefield at kragen while they were retiring to oosthaven...
had to send them to palembang for repairs, where they struggele to pump the water out

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/27/2012 9:24:36 PM   
jeffk3510

I don't know about dedicated ships, Brad..however, the air dropped mine campaign was massive and extremely effective if I understand my history correct. The mines the US dropped in the sea lanes around the Home Island just devestated the Japanese merchant fleet..

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 7/27/2012 9:25:03 PM >

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 12:50:30 AM   
1275psi

read a little on the mine effort against japan (worked in a mine warfare school , so some things seep in)

read that Japan was so desperate that they built special mine sweeping barges.............there you go, man that, sail out......BOOM!. Well, that way is clear now............

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 4
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 2:34:19 AM   
zuluhour

I made a visit to the US Navy's WWII mine warefare base near Solomon Island (Maryland). My impression is the US dedicated more to R&D than actual production, constantly testing and improving.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 7/28/2012 2:35:17 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 5
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 2:59:33 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Interesting photo.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 4:47:24 AM   
jeffk3510

We can almost see you in that photo

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 7
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 5:06:25 AM   
Grunt

R2D2 MkI?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 8
RE: Mines in the Pacific--Historical View - 7/28/2012 7:50:52 AM   
Itdepends

For the dutch in the east indies mine as a defensive weapon makes more sense with the shallow water (easier to lay/less losses) and many choke points.

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mines in the Pacific--Historical View Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI