Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LCU Headquarters Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LCU Headquarters Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LCU Headquarters Question - 8/24/2012 9:36:12 PM   
wadail

I've read the manual and searched the threads here, and while I have found information that tells me the benefit of having air units near their parent HQ, I cannot find anything that indicates there is a benefit to having LCUs near their parent HQ, or justifies spending PPs on moving all those LCUs from Pacific Areas to one of the Corps HQs, such as 1st Amphib or 10th Army.

The only exception would be when sub-units are attached to different HQs and you want to combine the units back into the larger formation (1st Marine Div, for example). Everything in the manual just points to the benefits of being within the control range of a Corps HQ, but it does not say the Corps HQ has to be the parent of the LCU. Is this correct?

If so I am sick at how many PPs I spent putting LCUs into Corps HQs, but think Burma and China just became much easier to manage.

Also, is there any benefit to having a ship belong to a HQ? Such as moving ships from Pacific Ocean Areas to South Pacific? I see no penalty for having too many LCUs or naval units attached to a particular HQ.
Post #: 1
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 8/25/2012 10:37:11 AM   
Empire101

This is from the manual:-

Command - Helps in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground
combat. If no Corps HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give
a bonus like a Corps HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corps HQ
within range of the battle, and the Command HQ is within 2 times its command
range of the battle, it can add up to an additional 90% bonus to the Assault
Value of an attacking force for odds calculations. The bonuses are impacted by
the leaderships rating of the commander of the HQs. Command HQs are also
important for air replacements and upgrades (see section 16.2.3 for details)

»» Army - Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to
a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending).

»» Corps – Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to
a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending).

»» Amphibious – Helps amphibious invasions suffer fewer losses.

»» Naval – Helps to speed ship repair time.

»» Air – Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units
to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft
replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.

All HQ's have their use's and all will assist with combat if in range.
The exception to this is Naval HQ's, which only seem to affect ship repair rates, and Air HQ's which affect support and co-ordination.

LCU HQ's will ( I think! ) assist any unit within its range by adding combat modifiers to its attack/defence

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 8/25/2012 1:14:44 PM >

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to wadail)
Post #: 2
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 8/28/2012 3:46:15 PM   
wadail

OK, thanks.. that's pretty much what I thought. Having gone from the defensive to the offensive I have come to the personal conclusion that, for the most part, it is not worth spending PPs to move LCUs to different HQs, with the following exceptions (Air units not discussed):

1) To activate a unit that is currently assigned to a [R] or [S] HQ, and that unit must board a transport to make it to combat. For example, an Indian unit [R] in Madras can still march to combat in Burma, so there may be no need to spend the PPs to get it into combat, whereas a [R] unit attached to West Coast will need to board a transport to go to combat, so spending the PPs is mandatory (hrm, I wonder if it can board a transport that is assigned to West Coast? Must try that this evening).

2) The parent HQ has been destroyed (ADBA) and the unit is in combat. For instance, a unit of Australian I Corps retakes Mandalay. That brings Mandalay under the control of AUS I Corps. I am not sure if this causes supply issues.. anyone know? I don't *think* it does, but it offends my sense of order :)

3) 2 Sub-units are attached to different HQs and you want to rejoin the larger unit. Aus. divisions attached to ADBA are a good example. Many sub-units will be destroyed in the initial fall of SE Asia, if you bring the destroyed sub-units back, most likely they will come back attached to whatever HQ Aden is under, while the old units will still be attached to ADBA. If you plan to keep the units at the BDE and BN level this is not an issue. I personally prefer the "oomph" of a combined arms division.

4) Your style of play mandates that you attach ground units to a Corps HQ. I started out here but am quickly finding I'd rather spend the PPs on activating [R] and [S] LCUs and Air units, and combining existing divisions from their components.

< Message edited by wadail -- 8/28/2012 3:47:19 PM >

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 3
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 8/28/2012 8:28:19 PM   
Empire101

I've always been of the opinion that the Japanese PP allocation of 60 is too low for a military dictatorship ruled by a divine living 'God'.

The Japanese should have an allocation of around 100 per day IMHO

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to wadail)
Post #: 4
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 8/28/2012 9:59:48 PM   
wadail

And then the army and navy should have to fight for them to see which will get their way :)

< Message edited by wadail -- 8/28/2012 10:00:13 PM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 5
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 9/4/2012 4:56:01 PM   
wadail

This is an interesting tidbit I found on section 11.0 of the manual, that plainly states that a unit with its HQs nearby is more efficient than one with its HQ thousands of miles away. Is this just "rhetoric" and "any old HQ will do" if it is nearby? This statement implies that being attached to that nearby HQ has benefit.

Some units need to be reattached to different HQ’s as the game moves on. A unit operating under an HQ that is thousands of miles away is not nearly as efficient in its operations as it would be were it attached to an HQ in the same hex (or a nearby one).

(in reply to wadail)
Post #: 6
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 9/4/2012 5:10:04 PM   
TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadail

This is an interesting tidbit I found on section 11.0 of the manual, that plainly states that a unit with its HQs nearby is more efficient than one with its HQ thousands of miles away. Is this just "rhetoric" and "any old HQ will do" if it is nearby? This statement implies that being attached to that nearby HQ has benefit.

Some units need to be reattached to different HQ’s as the game moves on. A unit operating under an HQ that is thousands of miles away is not nearly as efficient in its operations as it would be were it attached to an HQ in the same hex (or a nearby one).

Despite what section 11.0 of the manual says, it appears the only time HQs assignment is critical is in regards to Air HQs. If the Air HQ is assigned to the same command as the base it is present in, it will provide a full administrative bonus to the aircraft there, if the HQ is not under the same command, then it will provide half of the bonus.

As far as land combat goes, merely having an HQ prepped for the target within the command radius of the units participating in the attack is needed, AFAIK there is no bonus by ensuring that the units participating in combat are in fact under the same command structure as the HQ that is in range.

(in reply to wadail)
Post #: 7
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 9/5/2012 8:28:35 AM   
Alfred

I said a long time ago that HQ attachment benefits are subtle. Just because the benefits occur mainly under the hood, unseen by the player, most people just assume they don't exist and merrily play on, saving the PPs for use on more "sexy" subjects.

Everything in this game is a trade off. Players may or may not consider the expenditure to be worthwhile. My advice is to never assume that any game feature is totally redundant.

Alfred
Post #: 8
RE: LCU Headquarters Question - 9/5/2012 2:12:45 PM   
rms1pa

" HQ attachment benefits are subtle."

i would disagree with you on almost nothing about this game.

your sentence is a mastery of understatement.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LCU Headquarters Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI