Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: anyone played old boardgames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: anyone played old boardgames? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/1/2012 2:22:15 AM   
rjopel

Justus2.

Conmputerizied version of Federation and Empire. It's been ported into both Vassal and Cyberboard and we have a programmer working on F&EOnline using the SFBOnline engine. It's still a two+person game with the computer taking care of some of the accounting (and moving a huge map and counters off the table). I'd love to get Matrix and ADB together to do Matrix F&E but....

Ryan
Also on ADB Staff

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 61
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/1/2012 2:50:12 AM   
Justus2

Cool! Thanks. Will have to check it out.

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 62
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/1/2012 2:56:16 AM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Starfleet Battles Baby! Snap Turn! Fire all phaser I's and photon torpedoes

Good God, I had some epic battles. There is nothing like having to maneuver your ship to fire the last remaining phaser when your shields are down.

Easy game, move and shoot...

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 63
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/1/2012 2:58:06 AM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

I'd love to get Matrix and ADB together to do Matrix F&E but....

Ryan
Also on ADB Staff

We have made the introductions, it is out of our hands.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 64
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/2/2012 5:10:33 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Spent WAYYYYY too much time on SFB, F&E, not mention good stuff like 5th fleet, Rail Baron, and many many more. Thanks for that awesome Vassal link!

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 65
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/2/2012 8:40:52 AM   
CV 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Avalon Hill had Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun. These were excellent strategic games that could be linked together and played as "Global War 2000," which was an amazingly poor choice of names. (Actually, GWY2K wasn't a formal game, but rather the system developed by players to link the two games and play be email.) A3R is still one of the best games I've ever played. ERS was also very good, though probably not as good as A3R. Both games had a research system that was fabulous.

I still have nearly mint condition copies of A3R and ERS, plus Victory Games War in the Pacific. Sometimes I take them out just to admire the maps and counters. :)

I was a play tester for the Computer A3R, but thats another subject.

ERS was in fact a horrible game. Japan couldnt lose, and I said as much. I was asked to submit an article for the General explaining why I felt this way and what I felt were the shortcomings and my strat (the designers were dead set to prove me wrong). I wrote a very detailed set of instructions on how Japan could win the game every time.

It really wasnt that difficult. You simply did nothing as Japan. You could do limited attacks in China if you wanted, but the key was the American activation table. If Japan did nothing to raise the tension level (like conducting offensives, building carriers, fortifying islands, ect) the earliest the USA could enter the war was the Spring 44 turn. This gave the US at best 6 turns to build their force pool. As it took 4 turns to build a naval unit, this effectively gave the US 2 turns to "beat" Japan, which couldnt be done. A couple of months after I wrote that article (which needless to say was never published), AH released a modified tension table in the General. Never played that version of the game.

IMHO Advanced Third Reich (without the Pacific additional game) was probably the single best game ever made. It certainly was the one I played the most. The computer version was probably in the top 10 of the worst games I ever played lol.

< Message edited by CV 2 -- 9/2/2012 8:44:11 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 66
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/3/2012 12:49:55 AM   
PaxMondo

Played a lot of AH games with my siblings.  3R and A3R when it came out were favorites of ours.

Pax

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 67
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 9:35:09 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well guys i manage to win the bids on ebay for this boardgame (War in the Pacific 2nd Edition) for 222.50 plus 25 for shipping, it weighted almost thirteen pounds. The retail price for this massive huge board game is 420.00, that pretty darn expensive.

The only problems is that i need to find someone willing to play this with me, doubt if this can be played by email. I could however make an AI charts on the opponent of rolling dies to make it own moves for someone less experiences to play or test it myself. Just have to pretend you dont know what the enemy is doing.

Rising

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 9/17/2012 9:36:45 AM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 68
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 2:32:09 PM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun
Im sorry i meant "Pacific War" wasnt sure what brand that is, hard to til in the picture. Victory games perhap, but i think its Avalon Hills.

Got it, mint condition, sitting in my basement, along with SPI's War in Europe and War in the Pacific. The latter, unfortunately, not in mint condition ...

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 69
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 2:49:41 PM   
pws1225

First one I played was Tactics II from AH I believe. Tactics II? Oh crap I must be getting old!

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 70
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 4:30:14 PM   
foliveti

I bought it when it cam out. I think the preorder price was 275. If there were any scenarios I would not mind playing one.

Are you near Albany. I am in CT.

Frank

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 71
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 4:47:52 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: foliveti

I bought it when it cam out. I think the preorder price was 275. If there were any scenarios I would not mind playing one.

Are you near Albany. I am in CT.

I live north of Albany, in Clifton Park. Not far, probably like 15-20 mintues away.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 72
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 7:02:53 PM   
Nikademus

I wonder how many full games have ever been completed.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 73
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/17/2012 7:12:55 PM   
foliveti

There is a legend of one having been completed as a play test.

Frank

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 74
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/18/2012 3:03:03 AM   
borner

a Matrix F&E would be outstanding.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 75
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/18/2012 4:19:56 PM   
Nikademus

a computerized SFB would be great too. (The SFC series was a near miss but ruined by doubled internals and crappy AI that makes AE's seem like Skynet)

I have a pseudo version of a computerized SFB on my laptop. It auto tracks movement and rolls for damage on and hits and stuff eliminating the need for all the sheets of paper and tables and maps which require in turn a ManCave to setup. (or an extra bedroom)

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 76
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/20/2012 1:28:39 AM   
spence

I think the first wargame I played was Uboat by AH. It had simple mechanics and you could play a bunch of games in an afternoon but the games could be sometimes be really tense. About the same time the kid across the street got Waterloo by AH and the kid down the street got Conflict (by Parker Brothers (?) - had neat little cannons for the land units though). Had a great time. Pretty neat stuff for 1964.

I must have spent thousands of dollars subsequently buying dang near everything that came out from 1965 to about 1990...but in the end I have to confess it was mostly a waste of money since I could almost never find anyone to play against. Those few games I really played against a real person hold a special place in my hear though. I still have a copy of "Waterloo" hanging around on the shelf (with SPIs "Winter War" in the same box), along with AH's "Russian Front", Victory Games "American Civil War" and Command Games "Proud Monster" (which I played against a person) and its sequel which I forgot the name of (and never played against anyone). Anyways it was fun.

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 77
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/20/2012 3:09:41 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

a Matrix F&E would be outstanding.

Oh man.......

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 78
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/20/2012 8:22:20 PM   
pmelheck1

I Would be up for F&E in a big way. I would also be up for SFB... When I was big into SFB I programed a tool for playing SFB. I programed in all the charts and several ships for the duel scenario. so all you needed were the map board and ship counters to play. Also had a aid for F&E that tracked all planets and did up economic calculations. Plus ship production and upgrades. Did play it on the map and do combat manually. Didn't finished the programing for tracing units and locations or combat. Moved on to other things before finishing it.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 79
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 6:54:45 AM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence
Pretty neat stuff for 1964.

Yep, 1964 was when I played my first game of Tactics II. Then moved up to D-Day. Back in those days you could sometimes find these games in the toy section of the local K-Mart type of store.

Later, spent hours playing Midway - a true beer and pretzels game.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 80
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 1:38:10 PM   
Gridley380

I have a small collection of Avalon Hill and Victory Games boardgames in my house and a large collection (much of it acquired by my father) in storage.

Love those games (OK, most of them, even AH had its off days), but it is so hard to find both the time and a willing opponent.

For that reason, the Ambush! series holds a special place in my heart despite its hollywoodized combat mechanics.

I'm a piker however - a friend of mine has three copies of most of the hardcore AH library so people can do proper Kriegspiel sessions with them.

Edit to add: anyone else remember an old SPI game called "CA"? It was about (night) surface combat, with scenarios mostly drawn from the Solomons campaign. I recall one game which ended with multiple turns of several US BBs pounding a Yamato-class trying frantically to get the one final hit that would sink her...

< Message edited by Gridley380 -- 9/21/2012 1:41:27 PM >

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 81
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 2:27:06 PM   
Sardaukar

Imperium Romanum II...

I'll never live down the game when I crossed Rubicon with one unit of cavalry and baggage train. Shortest game ever..

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 82
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 3:02:45 PM   
Mundy

Years ago, back in my kolledge days, when I had first moved in with my wife, I became rather infatuated with the combat system for AH's Bismarck game.  I would be at the kitchen table for hours with the North Carolina and Bismarck putting shells into each other.  That game had some serious hit location and damage charts, so the chrome factor was pretty high.

Victory in the Pacific was very interesting, too.  As far as grand strategy goes, a lot if it was similar to what we see in WITP-AE -- just on a macro scale finished in an evening.

Ed-

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 83
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 4:04:15 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Imperium Romanum II...

I'll never live down the game when I crossed Rubicon with one unit of cavalry and baggage train. Shortest game ever..

Great game.

I used to play AH's 'Conquistador' alot too.
Sending your explorer's out to find the 'Lost City of Gold'... great fun!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 84
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 4:05:54 PM   
nashvillen

Bismarck combat system +10!

Like Mundy, lots of time spent looking at what happens at various ranges with various weapons against various armor! Kept me out of trouble in my Teens during summer break.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 85
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/21/2012 4:10:23 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

I have a small collection of Avalon Hill and Victory Games boardgames in my house and a large collection (much of it acquired by my father) in storage.

Love those games (OK, most of them, even AH had its off days), but it is so hard to find both the time and a willing opponent.

For that reason, the Ambush! series holds a special place in my heart despite its hollywoodized combat mechanics.

I'm a piker however - a friend of mine has three copies of most of the hardcore AH library so people can do proper Kriegspiel sessions with them.

Edit to add: anyone else remember an old SPI game called "CA"? It was about (night) surface combat, with scenarios mostly drawn from the Solomons campaign. I recall one game which ended with multiple turns of several US BBs pounding a Yamato-class trying frantically to get the one final hit that would sink her...

I have 'CA.' That was a favorite. You could even make some of the the Northern Solomon battles. Then came 'Tokyo Express'.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 86
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/22/2012 6:39:59 AM   
Lokasenna

This reminds me. Not a wargame, but I saw this in the gaming store the other week:

I remember playing an ancient version of this game when I was probably 5, and it's been remade!

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 87
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/22/2012 12:57:48 PM   
KMCCARTHY

I had a subscription to S&T and bought/got gifted dozens of games in the '70s.

Funniest thing ever was playing Panzergruppe Guderian with my best friend in HS. I played the German's and I had an unbelievable streak of luck during the entire game. 1-2 attacks, no problem, opposed river crossings no problem, etc. I was in Hex X well before the end of the game. He was furious.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 88
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/22/2012 1:23:22 PM   
AndyG1

Memories as a kid - living in the UK - Avalon Hill board Games and a younger brother who loved wargames as much as I did. I live in Australia now, and have all my old boardgames ( nearly 30 in total, mostly AH, some Victory Games, some others (Liddell Hart History of the Second World War - 1st game - Task Force Games - I believe they never completed the series!!!)) sat right behind me in the cupboard as I type this.

Bismarck - what a fantastic game - go the advanced route with the moving weather etc, and the combat was played out on the floor with a great system. Loved it!

Third Reich was played a lot, as was Russian Front. Flat Top is sat there with half popped out counters and never played for more than 2 hours! What was I thinking!!! Diplomacy was what got me into board wargaming - used to play that a lot via zine and letter writing. Ah, those were the days!

I too open up the boxes every now and again to get a reminder of my wasted youth!!!!!

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 89
RE: anyone played old boardgames? - 9/22/2012 10:24:21 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMCCARTHY

I had a subscription to S&T and bought/got gifted dozens of games in the '70s.

Funniest thing ever was playing Panzergruppe Guderian with my best friend in HS. I played the German's and I had an unbelievable streak of luck during the entire game. 1-2 attacks, no problem, opposed river crossings no problem, etc. I was in Hex X well before the end of the game. He was furious.

One time playing ASL I had the most amazing luck. I was playing British against my friend who was the Germans. He got a Tiger I and I got, I think a Comet in the scenario. In the first turn the Comet stumbled into an ambush with the Tiger. He had a rear shot on the Comet and managed to immobilize it on the first shot. For defensive fire, the Comet had to swing its turret 180 degrees and fire over a wall or some other obstacle. I needed snake eyes to hit and snake eyes to kill and got both rolls.

He effectively took the Comet out of action too because the rest of the scenario took place outside of its view, but my friend was so angry he was spitting nails.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to KMCCARTHY)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: anyone played old boardgames? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI