Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/7/2003 2:47:28 AM   
brent_2

why?

a new novel will run you $15-20.00 and thats just b&w guts on little better than newsprint with a color dustjacket.

the UV manual, for ex, has color illustrations throughout - drives up the printing cost. I am used to paying $40-60.00 for a decent softcover architectural book anymore. the higher ranges cover the nicer paper and more photographs, the lower a less illustrated book, or just more words than pictures. For a coffee table hardcover...$120.00 is not out of the ordinary. Of course they are beautiful books to have though.

$89.00 is too much, but I think that was Kinko's mistake, not the going price for a Matrix Manual hardcopy.

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 31
- 3/7/2003 4:29:18 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well I will grant you there are certain minimums.

But to say there was colour art, fancy printing? Nope.

My woodworking book has fancy paper, top of the line binding, color on each and every page, and wonderful illustrations all the way through.
It's also a woodworking manual, and they are known for low print runs, so it suffers from niche market influences.

Given a choice of a pdf manual which I can get printed on under my own terms (by that I mean someone I know that can do it at an office), or just accept I have to cut and paste out sections that I actually need hard copies of (I have yet to see a manual where I needed more than 10% of the actual manual).

A choice of a fancy manual, or a second wargame, and no manuals for each, hey this isn't rocket science eh guys.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 32
- 3/7/2003 4:42:28 AM   
Marc von Martial

Les, get over it, it was a mistake of a Kinos employee not the standard price for an UV manual at Kinkos. We delt with the problem. You can look up the normal prices at our doccenter.

Post #: 33
- 3/7/2003 5:11:55 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yeah I do fly off the handle sometimes (hey I am only saying sometimes hehe:) ).

Looking at the prices listed, I can't get my head around how the person could mangle the order from under 10 bucks for any permutation They range from 3 bucks to just 7 bucks give or take a few cents.

How someone would not notice 89 bucks is a mystery.

I recently thought about having a local operation do a .pdf printout for me. The saleslady was unsure the owner had adobe software resident on their system.
The store does some fairly high end processing for some rather decent clients though.
I would find it odd they would be unable to read an adobe file on a cd and get a bland black and white print out of it.
But I have not needed the item enough to pursue it much.

But if the response came out like 10 dollars and up, I would instantly lose interest.

My vote is still firmly behind Matrix not wasting time and energy on producing manuals with their games. Not enough merit for the expense.

Post #: 34
- 3/7/2003 3:59:05 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]I recently thought about having a local operation do a .pdf printout for me. The saleslady was unsure the owner had adobe software resident on their system.
The store does some fairly high end processing for some rather decent clients though.
[/QUOTE]

PDF is the standard for pre press and electronic books and that not only since yesterday. If they can´t deal with PDF they ain´t worth much, or better, are no up to date. All printers I know of sent proofs in PDF and want or prefer PDFs from you as a copy to print of. PDF is accurate regarding formatting (unlike Office documents), interactive and cross plattform, that´s where it´s strenght is.

Post #: 35
- 3/7/2003 4:46:45 PM   
Synicism

Marc - I never did get a solution to the problem I was having with my local Kinko's for StarShip Unlimited. I entered all the info into the DocCenter including my Credit Card number. The order was never placed (I went to the store 3 - 4 days later).

You said you were going to look into it - this was over a month ago....

Post #: 36
- 3/7/2003 5:09:51 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Synicism
[B]Marc - I never did get a solution to the problem I was having with my local Kinko's for StarShip Unlimited. I entered all the info into the DocCenter including my Credit Card number. The order was never placed (I went to the store 3 - 4 days later).

You said you were going to look into it - this was over a month ago.... [/B][/QUOTE]

I forward all the Kinkos hazzles to David Heath (the big boss), he deals with that then.

Did they charge your credit card ?

Post #: 37
- 3/7/2003 9:30:20 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yes I was actually a bit surprised when the woman mentioned that about Adobe.
I was sort of taken off guard.

Considering Adobe Reader software is next to impossible to avoid.
If you have a computer and load almost any entertainment software, odds are you get asked if you want to install Reader.

Post #: 38
- 3/8/2003 3:10:21 AM   
Synicism

Thanks for the reply.

They didn't charge my credit card. Just wondered that my credit card info went somewhere.

Also wanted you guys to be aware that the Kinko's where I live, don't seem to be working with the DocCenter system for some reason.

Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote