Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/2/2012 10:06:09 PM   
Skyros

Savior of the Gamecock nation. Nothing wrong with him.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My first thought: Steve Spurier.

(Since NYGiants lives in the South, he'll know why Spurrier readily comes to mind.)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/3/2012 1:13:49 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

This fall I'm take a graduate level course in "Psychopathology" as one of the three remaining courses I need to get me up to 60 credit hours for eligibility to obtain my LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) for work next Spring. One of the assignments is to read a biography on a person with a possible mental illness that I can diagnosis using the DSM-IV and then get into the diagnosis and treatment of it afterwards (not necessarily for this particular person). The first person that came to mind was MacArthur, but is there any other famous military person and the name of a book that you would recommend??

Thanks!

Having a monstrous ego doesn't IMO qualify as a "mental illness" If so, i'd say just from a military history standpoint, the halls of Bellevue would be overflowing. Hitler would be a better person to study. His rise and fall make a fascinating contrast to that of Joseph Stalin. Both shared feelings of mistrust and paranoia, but whereas the setbacks in Hitler's career as a politician and military strategist caused a deepening rift with his relationship with his Armed Forces and decent into madness (aided by drug addiction) , Stalin was able to overcome his early setbacks and despite his own very healthy sense of self preservation and paranoia, developed a working relationship with his Military leadership that was key to Soviet Russia's victory against the Germans.

MacArthur's tendency to address himself in the Third Person doesn't hold a candle to that. As for his accomplishments....or lack of.....it depends on which author you place the most stock in.

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 9/3/2012 1:14:51 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 32
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/3/2012 4:58:25 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Orde Wingate comes to mind for someone beyond the usual megalomania of a top general.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 33
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/3/2012 5:31:19 AM   
1EyedJacks

George Armstrong Custer. A few books listed in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Custer-Jeffry-D-Wert/dp/0684832755

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 34
RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues - 9/3/2012 9:10:29 AM   
CyrusSpitama

Seeing how all these other fine suggestions have been made I should add a little spice to my suggestion of Sir Lawrence of Arabia.

He did some of these things:

Organized and lead Arabian forces against Turkey and pioneered guerrilla tactics still used to this day. Fast, small moving forces that strike a point, do damage, and disappear into the sunset. Desert warfare at its finest. Sadly, he taught the Arabs the extreme usefulness of jury rigged IEDs which is a big problem in the area today. He was a natural with explosives and had minimal training. He was at times reckless with his own life when dealing with said explosives...

Was one of the first to recognize and promote the idea of airplanes to help control vast areas of land.

Had an unusually bright and adept tactical mind and often went right to the top commanders speaking as if he was an expert on the subject. Often he was the best expert available... hehe He had a history of doing this and some of his superiors acknowledged this usefulness. They often granted him direct access to their office which infuriated the officer(s) between him in the chain of command quite often.

Pioneered map/land surveying procedures and integrated airplanes into his methods.

Was a truly superior marksman!

Was promoted to an officer status without ever going through proper officer channels so that he had an official status for his military business. This was to prevent the hassles of going into and out of the above mentioned commander's offices :)

Eventually was almost handed the command of the entire Egyptian office. That area was divided into different command structures and he would not have been the only command(er).

Personally led many battles and was known for suffering many wounds, but never being subdued except for the common sicknesses in the area(Egypt and Arabia). He got sick a number of times but persevered through them despite nearly dying on more than one occasion to these illnesses.

Was personal friends with personalities like Winston Churchill who he advised and educated on more than one subject...

After the war became a speedcraft expert and changed the designs on all of the British launchcraft used for rescues and such.

Did I mention he was an archaeologist before the war? He also pioneered digging techniques in the sands of the desert near Syria. He also made a number of survey trips and traveled all through the area where no white man had gone before... More and more travels as the war began of course !

Personality traits:

Was a prolific writer of letters. Also wrote the Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Monster book that... He spent many years, writing and organizing it, his printer and publisher were always in doubt(with multiple printers looking to print it), it was a truly epic adventure. An instance where the details of him getting this book together are just not able to fit in a relatively short forum post...read the bio and google the book!

After the war, he felt great guilt in how things played out for the Arabs having their lands divvied up by the powers. He used his high level military and govt contacts to enlist in the Air Corps as an aircraft mechanic and engineer(little of this though). Think about this, an enlisted man who once could have a command in Egypt! He changed his name and tried to hide in their ranks. He was even refused entry multiple times until he used his contacts to push him through despite age and physical handicaps. Needless to say, this was trouble. So many other details to this part...

Refused honors and awards the king tried to give him. He settled for an old rifle with quite a history... (wish the forums would let me post links on these things) He also accepted a number of honors from the French who also considered him their worst enemy for negotiating French claims in the area of Syria.

Was probably often seeking great deeds to be recognized for yet, despised the unwanted attention it brought to him. With the play based on his epic hero story, he was probably the very first media frenzy character with paparazzi and all ! He was famous throughout Europe and very much so in America.

Considered much of the pain he suffered from wounds, traveling the deserts, illnesses, battle wounds, as his penance, shall we say, for all of his actions. His tolerance for pain was amazing.

Was an illegitimate child of two very religious parents. His mother was extremely religious so this was quite the scandal. Mother and Lawrence had a unusual relationship... So much nuance here, it's best if I say nothing much without you reading it.

Celibate his entire life except for one shocking instance at the hands of the Turks. He did propose to a woman once when he was younger. Enough said on that for now, just a taste of much, much more. Read the book !

< Message edited by CyrusSpitama -- 9/3/2012 9:17:59 AM >

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Bio on a person with mental health issues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI