Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth getting?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth getting? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth get... - 9/12/2012 2:56:04 PM   
Rison

I am looking at getting either/both Forge of Freedom and/or Crown of Glory:EE.

Obviously these games are not getting any younger, so I have a number of questions:

1. Do they run on Windows 7 64 bit?
2. I would only play against the AI, in both games, is it worth your time to play against the AI? Strategic and tactically?
3. In the CoF:EE forums, there are a number of complaints that the game is not currently playable. A dev said that they were just not understanding how the game should work. Are there game breaking issues with that game? Or major issues? With FoF?
4. Whats the max resolution the game can run at? 1920x1080?

Specific to the games:
1. Are the tactical battles available outside of a campaign? Like a QB game? Are there historic battles for the tactical battles ie. Gettysburg, Waterloo, ect?
2. Do you control which units are built or do they appear at historical dates (ala WitP)?

Thanks in advance! They both look like good games despite their age.

Rison
Post #: 1
RE: Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth... - 9/12/2012 4:43:46 PM   
axeman109

FoF runs fine on my Windows x64 system. I bounce between it and GG War Between the States. They each have things about them I like. The AI is fine as far as my feeble mind is concerned. I've not played much tactical in FoF to be honest. I'll let somebody else comment on that part of the game. My experience is no historical battles outside the campaign.

I've never played Crown of Glory.

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 2
RE: Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth... - 9/12/2012 5:35:51 PM   
Rison

Thanks for the response. What screen resolution are you using?

(in reply to axeman109)
Post #: 3
RE: Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth... - 9/12/2012 7:41:55 PM   
Gil R.

Rison,
Both games are fixed at 1024 x 768, which was pretty standard when the engine was made. (Changing the games' resolution would involve massive amounts of programming, so we'd only fix that if we did new versions one day.)

Neither game supports Win7-64bit, but we know of people who can play it, and have received just one or two reports of problems. Thus while we can't guarantee the games will work, there is good reason to expect them to.

FOF has no significant problems, and works just fine. COG:EE does have some problems that can affect certain games (mainly PBEM, if I remember correctly; feel free to post a question over there).

As for your last two questions, the battles are only within the broader strategic game, and there are no historical battles (though see the "Brother Against Brother" forum for news of a game we're currently working on). And yes, you build units that are generic, but do have some "Legendary Units" (e.g., Stonewall Brigade) that sometimes appear at their historical time as a bonus instead.

Please let us know if you have other questions!

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Rison)
Post #: 4
RE: Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth... - 9/13/2012 11:19:03 PM   
Rison

Thanks for the info Gil. Sounds like I will wait and see what Brother against Brother is like.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory - Still work? Worth getting? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI