Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no tk208 plz)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no tk208 plz) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/23/2012 3:22:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

One other thing to discuss is the effects of supplies on firepower, which seems to follow this table also .. that is I beleive total firepower is effected by supply as is being in a fort .. ???

I'm sure that supply does affect firepower, but the game never gives us numbers for firepower anyway. Like you I assume the effect is similar to the AV vs Supply chart, but I'm always just winging it with firepower anyway. I haven't attempted to put together any calculations.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 31
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/23/2012 3:51:30 PM   
btbw

Situation very good if you can repeal any incoming attacks outside.
You stopping a whole army with heavy weapon so your opponent lost 1/5 of his troops for nothing.
Even if you cannot kill it - you can hold it forever.
Slightly rotate your forces - replace disrupted troops with rested behind corpses.
Dont use deliberate attacks offten but only when you have fully rested troops here (with builded forts 2lvl) and only for check his AV.
All time use bombardment from highest range guns.
Split troops which need rest (half of current) and set to Reserve for decrease disrupt/fatique.
Artillery units also hide in reserve if they need rest. Artillery like mortars or mount guns very vulnerable so dont use it in bombardments if you dont deliberate.
Bring more HQs - it save your supply greatly.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 32
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/24/2012 7:37:45 AM   
inqistor

Supply is more important for attacker (better to have 100%), than defender. In China you probably have shortage.
Rough description of land combat is:
1) Active devices fire onto other side. Enemy devices get destroyed/disabled/or suppressed.
2) AV is calculated, and all modifiers added
3) Final ratio calculation, and effect implemented (loses for both sides, and retreat)
Enemy have 100 less AV, than from your previous report, however you are 500 points shorter. Probably lots of your squads were disabled, so this time you had even less firepower, and was unable to suppress enough enemy devices. That is how he get so much AV.

Good indication of enemy weakness is ratio of his destroyed devices to disabled. Once disablements reach 50%, you have greater chance to target already disabled squads, so you destroy them this time.

From this report:
quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

Allied ground losses:
6743 casualties reported
Squads: 127 destroyed, 720 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 84 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 56 disabled
Guns lost 62 (3 destroyed, 59 disabled)

great difference, so enemy is in pretty good condition.

Overall, you will not recover your units without supply, and in enemy terrain. You have to move your battered units to supplied bases, and recover there. Hard to do in China.

(in reply to aphrochine)
Post #: 33
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/26/2012 5:31:50 PM   
aphrochine

Well, the battle continues on. So long as I keep the Army surrounded, his forces in the North are locked into their current positions. Given the amount of poking and prodding going on in Central and Southern China, I could use some stagnancy. The air war is continuing. The 23rd FG is regrouping at Ledo, getting some R&R and will be putting back to Sian soon, hopefully there is an airfield left when they return. The CAF is slowly coming online and gaining in experience with some battles and victories under their belts, but due to lack of reinforcements I have to be careful with their squadrons and avoid frequent exchanges.

The battle is far from over, but I dont see destroying the stack in the cards...no matter how long I keep them surrounded. My opponent and I have agreed to discuss the details of both sides at a future date. Hopefully he'll post his perspective and actions in this thread once that time comes.

VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 34
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/26/2012 8:43:05 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

The battle is far from over, but I dont see destroying the stack in the cards...no matter how long I keep them surrounded. My opponent and I have agreed to discuss the details of both sides at a future date. Hopefully he'll post his perspective and actions in this thread once that time comes.

They are dying for sure, but slowly. Problem is you will not get them without enough supply. And you have to upgrade your firepower, move your battered LCUs to bases for recover.
Also you should have upgrade for your AT guns soon, so it will help somehow. Have you upgraded your Chinese Infantry Squads already?

(in reply to aphrochine)
Post #: 35
RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no t... - 11/28/2012 12:06:43 AM   
aphrochine

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor
They are dying for sure, but slowly. Problem is you will not get them without enough supply. And you have to upgrade your firepower, move your battered LCUs to bases for recover.
Also you should have upgrade for your AT guns soon, so it will help somehow. Have you upgraded your Chinese Infantry Squads already?

North China has supply and can survive, but supply is lean. I have Liberator transports flying supplies directly into Sian from Ledo, but that's really a small trickle of supplies daily...at most probably 30-40/day. My supply isnt strong enough to regularly upgrade my devices. I'll prioritize the AT upgrades when that happens, as the relief effort is being spearhead by a couple of Tank Divisions. If I recover all of my disables, I should be near 3000 AV with my current troops in the hex. That will take some time as Sian never gets much higher than 3000 supply.

I think the real key to hunkering down is to continue to make the IJAF pay for routine bombing with heavy CAP traps intermittently. So far the 23rd FG has wracked up almost 1000 kills over the Chinese skies...so here's to another 1000 in '44!!!

VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Killing off a surrounded but superior Army... (no tk208 plz) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI