Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 4:13:04 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Just updated, thought I would post this, The save files are no longer moving to the archive folder. I am using intell Monkey and would really like
to have it function the way it did before the update. Is there anything I might be able to do sans a reinstall of IM.

**Obviously I have little software aptitude .....

The Archive folder is only created and used if you apply the proper switch in your launch shortcut. You probably made a new shortcut to go with the new beta patch. Check your switches in the new one. I doubt anything Michael did to fix these bugs would have affected switch behavior.

Yep, I like easy questions when doing tech support...

Installing the beta creates a new shortcut. You will need to add the -archive switch to it again.

Guys, the issue I see is that the archive-named files (meaning copies named the same but with a date code added) are appearing in the SAVE folder. AFAIK if you do not use the -archive switch then the archive-named files (calling them that 'cause I don't know what else to call them) will not get created at all.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1291
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 6:44:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

Just updated, thought I would post this, The save files are no longer moving to the archive folder. I am using intell Monkey and would really like
to have it function the way it did before the update. Is there anything I might be able to do sans a reinstall of IM.

**Obviously I have little software aptitude .....

The Archive folder is only created and used if you apply the proper switch in your launch shortcut. You probably made a new shortcut to go with the new beta patch. Check your switches in the new one. I doubt anything Michael did to fix these bugs would have affected switch behavior.

Yep, I like easy questions when doing tech support...

Installing the beta creates a new shortcut. You will need to add the -archive switch to it again.

Guys, the issue I see is that the archive-named files (meaning copies named the same but with a date code added) are appearing in the SAVE folder. AFAIK if you do not use the -archive switch then the archive-named files (calling them that 'cause I don't know what else to call them) will not get created at all.

That's true if you're "clean" of the archive switch from the start of the game. The archive histories never get created or written anywhere. But I've never seen the case as here where it was there, the folder was created, but the new shortcut doesn't have it anymore. I suppose it's possible that having it before changed the save game file somehow so the daily files are created and saved to disc, but without the switch it doesn't know to move them to the folder, since the switch is not there to create it.

All I've got, man.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/29/2015 7:45:28 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1292
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 7:05:11 PM   
Lokasenna

In my experience, not using the -archive switch leads to the files to be created and just stuffed in the SAVE directory. It gets quite full. That alone is reason enough to use the switch.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1293
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 7:10:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

In my experience, not using the -archive switch leads to the files to be created and just stuffed in the SAVE directory. It gets quite full. That alone is reason enough to use the switch.

The last time I played without the switch was over five years ago and that was AI. I'll take your word that they get created.

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1294
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 7:46:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

The last time I played without the switch was over five years ago and that was AI. I'll take your word that they get created.

Like you, it's years since I played without the switch. When I did, there were no such files created at all (just the ones that get overwritten every turn). If that changed in the meantime (which is what Loasenna's report implies) then that answers the question raised by zuluhour's experience.

Post #: 1295
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 8:50:51 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like you, it's years since I played without the switch. When I did, there were no such files created at all (just the ones that get overwritten every turn). If that changed in the meantime (which is what Loasenna's report implies) then that answers the question raised by zuluhour's experience.

I just ran two turns on a scratch install I have. No archive switch. It's as Loka says. Each day is saved a full set of text files in the Save folder.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/29/2015 9:51:08 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1296
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 10:17:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just ran two turns on a scratch install I have. No archive switch. It's as Loka says. Each day is saved a full set of text files in the Save folder.

That settles it!

How many places in this world can you go where a moose, a macaque monkey, and an animated character all collude to answer a smoking monkey's question?

Post #: 1297
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/29/2015 11:47:34 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That settles it!

How many places in this world can you go where a moose, a macaque monkey, and an animated character all collude to answer a smoking monkey's question?

An ovinomancer...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1298
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/30/2015 3:29:37 PM   
ny59giants

I just sent MichaelM the games files for my last two turns. The "Follow TF" option doesn't seem to be available for TFs moving from on map to off map (into shipping channels). The lead TF went to its home port off map, while the 5 other TFs assigned to follow turned around and went to the nearest base on map. Has anybody else seen this??

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1299
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 - 9/30/2015 7:55:58 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I just sent MichaelM the games files for my last two turns. The "Follow TF" option doesn't seem to be available for TFs moving from on map to off map (into shipping channels). The lead TF went to its home port off map, while the 5 other TFs assigned to follow turned around and went to the nearest base on map. Has anybody else seen this??

I have not, but I can add this to my long list of "stuff other people tried that I never would have thought to."

Having a follow command on an off-map-going TF would never occur to me.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/30/2015 8:56:34 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1300
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/2/2015 11:19:16 AM   
michaelm75au

I have updated the installer with fix to the off-map follow TF problem.

Michael

Post #: 1301
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/2/2015 2:04:23 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Michael, I've always had an issue with enemy ship identification, as in during combat routines (naval, sub, air) each indiviual ship is named. Is it possible to alter this so that only the ship's class is identified?

I imagine that it's not as simple as a few keystrokes, and that the mechanism is quite pervasive.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 1302
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/2/2015 2:43:44 PM   
HansBolter

It's never been possible to give reaction ranges to TFs entering the board from off map boxes either.

Probably not a huge issue, but if you have an opponent who is patrolling your off map entry routes it means you have to stay on top of when the TF will be entering so you can catch it once it enters and give it a reaction range.

Hans

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 1303
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/2/2015 9:45:10 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Question: should a Japanese sub be able to consistently sink empty TK's over 10,000t with ONE torpedo?

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1304
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/3/2015 5:16:48 AM   
Barb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Question: should a Japanese sub be able to consistently sink empty TK's over 10,000t with ONE torpedo?

Why not, consider tanker having its back broken. With little help of ocean this could easily broke the ship in two. The ship could also be considered a "constructive total loss" even if able to remain on surface...

< Message edited by Barb -- 10/3/2015 6:18:33 AM >

Post #: 1305
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/3/2015 10:14:40 PM   
Reg

The tanks of empty TKs are full of volatile fumes and not liquid cargo. Not the best thing to be around when a torpedo goes off....

I believe that was used as justification for the game mechanics. (IIRC from long ago.)

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1306
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/4/2015 12:01:55 AM   
Denniss

Didn't they use water ballast in these days? They must have known about the somewhat explosive nature of these fumes ......

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 1307
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/4/2015 7:26:37 AM   
trojan58

I have real issue with submarines hitting a mine then sailing half way across the map to port. If a submarine hits a mine 99.9% of the time (regardless of damage) the sub should sink. Submarines don't have the reserve buoyancy to survive any kind of major hit to flotation.

There are two types of ships in the world

Submarines and Targets

D.B.F

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 1308
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/4/2015 5:41:20 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Michael, another thought:

Is there a way to implement a "Battle Speed" setting? I know it would need to be an after-the-fact implementation.

I've read in several places that in particular, the IJN's "Battle Speed" was about 23kts, or about 3/4 speed of top speed.

Would there be a way to implement it by enabling a "Battle Speed" button that would take the max speed of the TF and modify it by .75? Fuel consumption would also need to be re-computed,maybe a median of Cruise and Full?

Just a thought.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 1309
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/5/2015 12:30:32 AM   
michaelm75au

As speed is often used in calculations through out game, this may not be possible at the moment.

Michael

Post #: 1310
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1117 updated 22... - 10/5/2015 12:42:54 AM   
John B.

This is great. Thanks so much!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1311
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/5/2015 7:39:00 AM   
Barb

quote:

ORIGINAL: trojan

I have real issue with submarines hitting a mine then sailing half way across the map to port. If a submarine hits a mine 99.9% of the time (regardless of damage) the sub should sink. Submarines don't have the reserve buoyancy to survive any kind of major hit to flotation.

Submarine hit by mine should be sunk outright - on that I can agree.
On the other hand you would have to balance it somewhat:
- Minefields would have to get into "intelligence reports" to reflect allied intelligence and Magic supplying informations about existing and new minefields...
- how would you implement US Frequency Modulated Sonar used to detect minefields? In late 1944 it was successfully tested and in 1945 tens of subs penetrated Sea of Japan through mine barriers at La Perouse strait and Korea strait and got safely out.( Operation Barney - 9 subs went in, 8 got out... USS Bonefish was lost to surface ASW force...)

(in reply to trojan58)
Post #: 1312
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/7/2015 3:44:21 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Michael, in the category of "This may be too involved to alter..."

Can CS convoy selection be altered to only require 1 instead of 4 clicks to achieve?

When forming a TF (Cargo, Tanker, Transport, etc) and you want to make it a CS:Basename TF, it is annoying to have to make 4 clicks instead of 1.

As it is now:
1-you click "Human Control" which changes the mode to "Computer Control", which most players never use,
2-so then you have to click "Computer Control" to get "CS:Basename". But wait, now "Mission Speed" moves to "Cruise Speed". Most players want to keep "Mission Speed",
3-so you click it again and it becomes "Full Speed". I don't want full speed unless I'm in a hurry, and if I wanted CS mode, I wasn't in a hurry for it.
4-So you have to click one more time to reset it to "Mission Speed"

What I mean is that you should be able to click "Human Control" and have it go straight to "CS:Basename" with "Mission Speed".

Thanks.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 10/7/2015 8:32:43 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 1313
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/8/2015 12:52:29 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Can CS convoy selection be altered to only require 1 instead of 4 clicks to achieve?

When forming a TF (Cargo, Tanker, Transport, etc) and you want to make it a CS:Basename TF, it is annoying to have to make 4 clicks instead of 1.

As it is now:
1-you click "Human Control" which changes the mode to "Computer Control", which most players never use,
2-so then you have to click "Computer Control" to get "CS:Basename". But wait, now "Mission Speed" moves to "Cruise Speed". Most players want to keep "Mission Speed",
3-so you click it again and it becomes "Full Speed". I don't want full speed unless I'm in a hurry, and if I wanted CS mode, I wasn't in a hurry for it.

What I mean is that you should be able to click "Human Control" and have it go straight to "CS:Basename" with "Mission Speed".

Thanks.

A big +1 for this suggested tweak. If it's just a simple matter of altering the order to put CS ahead of Computer Control, that would be awesome.

If the "switch" gets flipped on Mission/Cruise on changing to Computer Control instead of when it changes to CS (from Computer), then an additional fix wouldn't even be necessary if it's possible to put the CS option second in the list.

Post #: 1314
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/8/2015 9:26:17 AM   
michaelm75au

I'll have a look over the weekend.

quote:

As it is now:

Thanks.

Michael

Post #: 1315
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/10/2015 2:35:17 AM   
michaelm75au

Changes:
1. Can add an extra check when at 'human control' to go 'CS' if a destination is set, or continue to 'computer control'
2. Best option for speed control is to leave it as already set.

< Message edited by michaelm -- 10/10/2015 3:36:36 AM >

Michael

Post #: 1316
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/10/2015 3:00:36 AM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Changes:
1. Can add an extra check when at 'human control' to go 'CS' if a destination is set, or continue to 'computer control'

So if a transport, cargo, or tanker (etc.) TF is created, ships added, then destination set, if "Human Control" is clicked, it will go to "CS:Basename" and default to "Mission Speed"?

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 1317
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 02 October... - 10/10/2015 3:26:58 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Changes:

So if a transport, cargo, or tanker (etc.) TF is created, ships added, then destination set, if "Human Control" is clicked, it will go to "CS:Basename" and default to "Mission Speed"?

Yep, assuming Mission speed is the speed for TF. Just tried it.

Michael

Post #: 1318
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 09 October... - 10/10/2015 6:33:04 AM   
michaelm75au

Changed CS-capable TF to ‘Human->CS:’ for control; speed remains as original TF
Fix case where same hex patrol not using endurance (randomise expenditure)

Michael

Post #: 1319
RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 09 October... - 10/10/2015 2:49:05 PM   
Yaab

Thanks! Already using and enjoying the new function.

Post #: 1320
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1125 Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI