Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 12:05:43 PM   
hooooper_slith

Now, I'm not sure whether either of these can be done. The Soviets are weak, the marshes may be frozen, the German panzers that are in supply may be brim full of petrol - and the supply indicators suggest they might be - and it's the distinguishing feature of the best German players that they are able to do things that looked impossible. On the other hand ... the northern line would require a lot of time consuming deliberate attacks to crack, the pincers have to cover about 100 miles in total, and failure (or even success) would expose the Wehrmacht to destruction in the blizzard.

So what will the Germans choose?

(in reply to hooooper_slith)
Post #: 91
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 3:40:42 PM   
Fishbed

hooooper, not many people saying anything out there, but just let me tell you watching your game leaves me breathless. What sense of suspense! Great show there.

Post #: 92
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 6:54:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: hooooper
So what will the Germans choose?

The question is what will you do to prevent the different plans?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 93
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 9:42:57 PM   
hooooper_slith

Thank you, Fishbed. Tullius, I've placed my bets now. I think Bomazz would be brave to go all-in for the big solution, but his entire strategy, it seems to me now, has been to take Moscow with a very big encirclement indeed. If he pulls back that will be a moral victory for the Soviets. On the other hand, I have lost a lot of units, many of them after November, and if B goes for Pelton's AP crunch in 42, it is going to be a test for the Red Army.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 94
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 10:33:23 PM   
gingerbread

Provided the front in the south have not changed a lot since the T20 screen, you can handle the loss of manpower that loosing Moscow would mean. Do make an effort to move the factories if any are still left.

Yes, I'm saying that it sometimes (most times) is better to loose a city than an army. Even more true when you are already short on units and men. Tough choice to make the first time, it does get easier.

Post #: 95
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/8/2012 10:49:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Take this with a grain of salt I don't think he will try to surround Moscow. He's lost armored hordes, this should have scared him. Big time. And this annihilation also proves he is not that strong in this area.

Now if he is the kamikaze type...

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 96
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:20:12 PM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 22
The Axis snow offensive opens with heavy fighting at Osinovets: three deliberate attacks, which are fended off with heavy casualties on both sides. Ominously, the port's fortifications are beginning to crack ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/9/2012 1:53:38 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 97
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:22:49 PM   
hooooper_slith

At Moscow, the tension continues. Strong attacks have been made north and south of the city. In the north, the panzers are over the canal, and 3rd Army's front is beginning to weaken. In the south, the Germans have improved their position and are still in a position to attempt the small and the big solution

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/9/2012 1:25:31 PM >

Post #: 98
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:27:18 PM   
hooooper_slith

In the centre and the south, there has been heavy fighting east of Kursk ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:28:58 PM   
hooooper_slith

And Kharkov

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:32:57 PM   
hooooper_slith

However, these battles are attritional rather than positional. Meanwhile the war of the factories continues. The USSR has preserved almost all of its industrial base, and this will be helpful once the armaments multiplier increases from 100% to 200% in five turns or so. But for now, it's one rifle between two, and no sign of those KV tanks I ordered ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:37:22 PM   
hooooper_slith

Here is the position of the two cities that remain in Soviet hands as we await Turn 23. As the Germans' Turn 24 will presumably be taken up with rearranging armies for the blizzard, it's now or not until March for the Germans.

Leningrad:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 102
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:39:29 PM   
hooooper_slith

The final dispositions at Moscow: First Shock Army is now in position to foil the big solution. We hope.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 1:47:05 PM   
hooooper_slith

Finally, a word on partisan operations. There haven't been any. This must be because there haven't been any airdrops to partisans. I do have bombers and transports on VVS bases with night missions selected, but nobody wants to deliver the stuff. I have even tried doing it manually, only to be told that no aircraft are available, although they will perform missions to regular troops (the ones in Leningrad). I'm a bit puzzled by this - not a problem I recall from other games.

However, I notice that my opponent has neglected to take control of a number of ports in our Baltic provinces, and so an expeditionary force has landed troops in Parnu with orders to conduct as much sabotage as possible. How long before they're noticed?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/9/2012 1:49:29 PM >

Post #: 104
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 2:01:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

If anything, could you please toggle the fort levels on? The picture is far from complete if we miss this vital information

Post #: 105
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 3:03:16 PM   
Peltonx

Good stuff very close.

Looks like Leningrad will hold IF you can reopen the port. I really expected it to fall for sure, poor job on his part. I don't think hes ever had to take it the hard way from his game play.

He could still take it in 42 with the right set-up of units, but I don't see it happening.

What happened around Moscow is what was expected and has been happening in all but 1 game after 1.06.11 was installed.

In the center by the looks he will get hammered hard unless he withdraws west 1 or 2 hexes a turn.

The south is a disaster waiting to happen.

I am guessing he has very little if any exp defending as GHC during blizzard and you should have a good chance of ending the game during the blizzard if he stands and fights, which is what I expect him to do.

I would say he was clearly out playing you for 2/3's of the summer, but you pulled the game from him winning to a draw.

Now you have a chance to get the upper hand during Blizzard and possibly end the game as blizzard effects are still way way over powering.

Even if you don't smoke him (which I expect) during blizzard I think you have the upper hand based on 42+ exp.

Whats OOB look like?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 11/9/2012 3:05:06 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 106
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 3:08:00 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

Finally, a word on partisan operations. There haven't been any. This must be because there haven't been any airdrops to partisans. I do have bombers and transports on VVS bases with night missions selected, but nobody wants to deliver the stuff. I have even tried doing it manually, only to be told that no aircraft are available, although they will perform missions to regular troops (the ones in Leningrad). I'm a bit puzzled by this - not a problem I recall from other games.

However, I notice that my opponent has neglected to take control of a number of ports in our Baltic provinces, and so an expeditionary force has landed troops in Parnu with orders to conduct as much sabotage as possible. How long before they're noticed?

Wow again showing a lack of exp if things aren't going wildly his way.

Game set match other then moving things around and taking counters off the map.

A good loss will make for a better BoMazz.

I can't wait to see the blizzard O.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 11/9/2012 3:09:17 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 107
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 3:25:52 PM   
Scook_99

Ohhh, this is the game Bomazz has been going on about. Since I have been bored and stopped sending him turns he tells me every turn about playing Hooooper. Nice to see it in living color here. His motivations are much different that what Pelton thinks :). Be prepared to go all the way to Berlin, I doubt a little setback like losing tons of infantry in a little winter storm will stop him from playing through. Good luck Hooooper, and I won't mention this game is featured as an AAR. More fun to hear about it, and then see what his delusions of grandeur look like on a map. And if he is seeing this, I will know soon enough, delusions, lol.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 108
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/9/2012 4:02:29 PM   
hooooper_slith

quote:

Ohhh, this is the game Bomazz has been going on about. Since I have been bored and stopped sending him turns he tells me every turn about playing Hooooper.

Oh, very interesting. I have exchanged a couple of emails with Bomazz, but he's still a bit of a mysterious figure. I suppose I can't ask what he's been saying about this game, but how did your game with him go?

quote:

Wow again showing a lack of exp if things aren't going wildly his way.

Game set match other then moving things around and taking counters off the map.

A good loss will make for a better BoMazz.

I can't wait to see the blizzard O.

I think you're overstating it just a little Mr P, I'm too weak to go for a balls-out offensive, more a push to gain breathing space. That said, there are a couple of interesting possibilities.

quote:

If anything, could you please toggle the fort levels on? The picture is far from complete if we miss this vital information

Okay. And I'll post an OOB next turn.

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 109
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:31:04 AM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 23

Leningrad: the battle is now lost. Osinovets has not fallen, but the port is wrecked and the troops in Leningrad now face a lingering death from starvation in their own city, or a lingering death from starvation in a German POW camp. The raiding forces that were being supplied from Leningrad are also out of supply. These include a cavalry division that was disembarked at Pushkin last go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/12/2012 11:32:34 AM >

Post #: 110
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:40:02 AM   
hooooper_slith

This is the situation after Osinovets is reoccupied and airdrop missions are flown. I tried to activate an airhead, but without success.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 111
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:41:20 AM   
hooooper_slith

I would like to think that the defenders of Leningrad played a part in the saving of the capital. Because it now seems that the Red Army has won the battle of Moscow: German forces appear to have begun and then abandoned the small solution. Even better, they have withdrawn from the southern pincer, and although fighting continues at the western gates of the city, there is no possibility of it falling. This may have far reaching consequences for the eventual outcome of the war.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/12/2012 11:43:12 AM >

Post #: 112
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:46:23 AM   
hooooper_slith

In other news, there has been more fighting on the Kursk-Vorenezh axis, but not I think of any strategic significance.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:49:56 AM   
hooooper_slith

In the deep south, two division have been cut off by the Rumanians. Very annoying. Dark mutterings can be heard from behind guarded doors in the Kremlin.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/12/2012 11:50:12 AM >

Post #: 114
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:52:02 AM   
hooooper_slith

Obviously, I've forgotten to turn fortification values on, but here's the OOB. The Soviets now have a definite lead in guns and tanks ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/12/2012 11:57:47 AM   
hooooper_slith

... however the cupboard is still bare. I am preparing for worst case scenarios next year, so factory relocation is continuing. In a turn or two work will begin on strongpoints for a defence line, following rivers from Stalino to Vorenezh, Lipetsk and Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/13/2012 9:37:20 PM   
Scook_99

Sorry, haven't checked on the forums for a bit, but yes, I will share what I can tell you :)

He is actually better and more versed at playing the Soviets than the Germans. It really showed to me from read this, he really underestimated Leningrad in my opinion. He really thought he would have his way around Moscow, and you shut him down nicely there.

You will probably beat on him in winter, but I doubt he will throw in the towel. The loss of a million Germans shouldn't do much to slow down a real mad man! Congratulations, you will get to be the 2nd person to take him into 1942, I got be 1st at the Germans, and that wasn't easy (in fact, I am in line for a real butt kicking, even though he doesn't think it, lol).

Haven't talked to him in over a week right now, so haven't kept up in the latest action.

He is a very dangerous opponent and makes up strategies you won't get most places. He masters the operational and logistic scales of games, and that's why he like to play me, as that is what I focus on too. For some reason, I am just not getting into this quite as much as he is, so is at least one order of magnitude ahead on me in this game.

Once done with this game, and you play him again, expect him to not make some of the same mistakes, ie: Leningrad. I really couldn't speculate on what else he will take away from this game, but he will change it up, and make it rather.....interesting.

PS: Pelton, if you want a game with him now, let me know. He isn't one to shy away at playing 6 games at once, and I am pretty sure he would fit you in. He doesn't forum too much, so let me know and I will call him. I have been wanting him to step up and check out how he would do, because he won't get much new from anyone else. His lack of 1942 experience and beyond will show up, I would suspect.

Post #: 117
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/13/2012 11:40:45 PM   
gingerbread

quote:

...once the armaments multiplier increases from 100% to 200% in five turns or so

Then you're in for a (small) shock - it's lowered to 130% from 200% and has been so for ages.

But you should easily make 100k+ ARM/turn once all factories are fully repaired so you should be OK.

Above 100k men/turn as well - '42 should be bearable, but no walk in the park.

Post #: 118
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:03:05 AM   
Michael T

Maybe he will run to Poland, nah only chickens from Maine do that

be nice to play a German with some backbone some day....

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 119
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:13:37 AM   
hooooper_slith

quote:

Then you're in for a (small) shock - it's lowered to 130% from 200% and has been so for ages.

Good grief, where can I get an up to date manual? I thought I'd downloaded one [mutter, mutter]. But thanks for the warning. The armament/manpower situation is my main concern; if it was just a question of cities held I'd be fairly happy with my position.

quote:

you will get to be the 2nd person to take him into 1942,

I read in another AAR that Bigbaba took him to 1943 but threw in the towel after getting a whole front surrounded.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI