Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:25:05 AM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 24

The final snow turn.
The end is approaching for Leningrad, but nobody is saying anything about surrendering.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to hooooper_slith)
Post #: 121
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:28:41 AM   
hooooper_slith

Moscow: the Germans retreat from their positions in the south and north

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/14/2012 12:37:52 AM >

Post #: 122
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:30:42 AM   
hooooper_slith

South and centre: more morale boosting attacks

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/14/2012 12:34:23 AM >

Post #: 123
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 12:35:48 AM   
hooooper_slith

Not the most dramatic of turns. But next turn, it's the blizzard

Post #: 124
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 1:30:35 AM   
smokindave34

This may have already been said but I'd throw EVERY available reserve you have south of D and Z-town. Those axis minor allies will fold fast and you'll unhinge all of AGS. This could get ugly fast.

Post #: 125
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 2:00:11 AM   
Michael T

I think Mr Bo is about to get the biggest thrashing of his WITE career.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 126
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 2:25:21 AM   
Peltonx

I go all out Hoooper during blizzard.

Blizzards can be a major game changer and hes attacking until the last snow turn! I think he thks your a newbie.

Lol if you can hold that Leningrad hex for one more turn you could releive it before Fin release. That would be huge up there.

Yes I agree Mt a major ass kicking just might happen

Hoooper IF you can pocket just 1 or 2 units the first few blizzard turns that will cause the snowball effect to take hold.

zip for reserves getting to front and January turns into a 2nd December because of falling CV. The hole center could come appart.

The south is a disaster waiting to happen heheh minor allies all alone.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 127
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 9:05:03 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T
I think Mr Bo is about to get the biggest thrashing of his WITE career.

Look at the situation just to the south of Moscow -- that could become dangerous. All depends on how Hooper prepared...

Once Bobo will realize that holding is hard and cannot be relied on in December, he'll get his next lesson as well: some Axis units will not be able to retract their steps as fast as the Soviets can overtake them, especially if Cavalry is ready to exploit, and also in bad, high-MP terrain like Volkov-Valdai region. Bobo will probably face a few dreadful turns...

In some sense this game makes for a good test case for the Blizzard rules, though: Bobo did exactly what the Germans did, attack until the last moment (or Wehrmacht exhaustion). Their lines are winding and overextended. I can't see his rail heads, but they are likely close, meaning the supply situation is perhaps not as strained as the one faced by the Germans. The Red Army seems to be about the size it had early December 41, and makes a decent impression. Wehrmacht is a bit stronger, having perhaps 500k more men/less casualties as in almost every AAR. So from that I would expect that the blizzard offensive should be at large less successful than the historical one, or at best on par. I hope Bobo does the desperate clinging and holding to every yard so one can see what the blizzard rules would lead to.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 128
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 7:08:02 PM   
Scook_99

You are right about that game with Big Baba, Hooooper, but imagine your game, but with half the Russians you have, and the Germans about 15-20 hexes further east everywhereat this point in time.

I am very interested in what will happen here, but I do concur with MT and Pelton on this. However....he is very aware of the capabilities of the Russian army. I would think however, that you are in very good shape to put my long time friend in a predicament. Think I will go have some fun, and call him up, and casually get around to how his WitE game(s) are going, lol. This is really good entertainment for me.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 129
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:04:47 PM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 25

Well here it is, payback time at last. Thank you for your encouraging comments, Michael T, Gerald P, Scook, Smokindave and janh, but I'm not quite as optimistic as you are. For one thing, the Red Army has lost a lot of blood, and some armies have only two or three effective divisions. For another, I managed to lose a lot of cavalry, at least seven divisions of which I threw away behind enemy lines (one still survives in the Leningrad oblast). My excuse was that I was desperately trying for some counterplay, but the consequence is that I will only be able to form about eight corps, and new cavalry divisions are still 20AP, or 40% of my weekly allocation.

That said, I've don't recall a previous game where the Germans made so little preparation for the blizzard. So I do agree with janh's points: without fortifications the attritional losses are going to be severe, the front is a very long one (especially as the Finns are still confined)and he will pretty much be forced into a long retreat from Moscow. I also agree with Smokindave that the minor Axis allies look vulnerable, but I'm sure they'll be stiffened before the Dneiper freezes in two or three turns. They can't be attacked before then.

Anyhow, here's Leningrad. The front on the Novgorod axis looks weak, so that will be a target. However the Volkhov Front is feeble, and is badly in need of replacement and reinforcement. Second Shock will go there once it is concentrated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/14/2012 11:40:09 PM >

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 130
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:17:15 PM   
hooooper_slith

Elsewhere the German's are pulling back ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 131
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:18:13 PM   
hooooper_slith

Moscow. The pincers are gone now

Attachment (1)

Post #: 132
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:19:19 PM   
hooooper_slith

Tula might be regained more quickly than I'd thought

Attachment (1)

Post #: 133
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:20:03 PM   
hooooper_slith

Centre ... they're not withdrawing so much as running away ..

Attachment (1)

Post #: 134
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/14/2012 10:21:42 PM   
hooooper_slith

In the south, everybody stays in.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 135
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:15:51 AM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 26

Leningrad: surprisingly, at least to me, the city holds out another turn. The Germans break through the belt of fortified zones and allow the Finns to make their first foray onto Russian soil

Attachment (1)

Post #: 136
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:19:17 AM   
hooooper_slith

On the Moscow front, there are further withdrawals on the wings. I have no objections to this tactic on B's part: I would much rather take the ground without fighting, and let contact attrition wear down the enemy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 1:20:54 AM >

Post #: 137
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:24:24 AM   
hooooper_slith

In Tula and the centre, the Axis once more retreat faster than I can pursue.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 138
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:25:52 AM   
hooooper_slith

And in the south, an eerie peace continues for another turn. The Dneiper will freeze next go, and the southern offensive will open. The Romanians south of Dnepropetrovsk retreat to a safe distance, but no sign of any German showing up the buttress the line ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 1:26:58 AM >

Post #: 139
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:36:15 AM   
hooooper_slith

The attacks are, once again, fairly subdued. Volkhov Front pushes a little further towards Novgorod and Leningrad Front closes with the perfidious Finn, but neither have the weight to really get moving. The Leningrad forces on the Baltic coast are a little too weak to push towards the city on the shortest axis. I have to decide whether to move 2nd Shock onto the line, and decide that it's still too weak to make a difference, so another week is spent in intensive training.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 1:43:50 AM >

Post #: 140
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:45:43 AM   
hooooper_slith

On the Moscow front, a series of successful attacks are made on the enemy units I can reach; a peaceful advance is conducted on the flanks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 1:48:55 AM >

Post #: 141
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:50:14 AM   
hooooper_slith

At Tula, a very weak Bryansk Front pulls up to within shooting distance. I wonder whether the Germans will fight to hold it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 2:10:12 AM >

Post #: 142
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:52:26 AM   
hooooper_slith

On the NW front, slightly out of sequence, some significant attacks are made to disrupt the German's defence system

Attachment (1)

Post #: 143
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 1:53:43 AM   
hooooper_slith

In other news, Stavka is pleased to announce that the first airdrop to a partisan unit is made ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/15/2012 2:07:59 AM >

Post #: 144
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/15/2012 2:06:47 AM   
hooooper_slith

Air transport also plays an important part in keeping the defence of Leningrad alive. This raises the tantalising possibility, as Pelton said, of saving the city before it falls. I would put the chances at one in twenty, but it makes the decision regarding 2nd Shock even more difficult. At this point I will read to you from John Erickson's Road to Stalingrad (still the best book on the Soviet-German war, IMO). "Meretskov [commander of the Volkhov Front] managed to get a delay in the offensive until 7 January, but even then only half of the 2nd Shock and 59th Armies had turned up. Meretskov turned on the heat at his point, for his guns had no sights and he had only a quarter of his ammunition and food; Colonel-General Voronov arrived from Moscow with gun-sights, field telephones and ammunition. The first attacks had taken place on time, as the Stavka ordered, but they had fizzled out ..." Let us make sure history does not repeat itself. I may use the same tactic that was employed with 3rd and 4th Shock Armies, when they turn up: they were only fed after they'd taken their objectives ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 145
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/16/2012 10:04:13 PM   
Scook_99

On the phone as we speak with the Great Oz (Bomazz). I didn't realize how many Soviet casualites there are already. His plan is sound for what he wants to do, but I won't give that away. This should be a verrry interesting game.

PS: Didn't let on that I have been seeing this, he hasn't a clue he is part of an AAR :)

< Message edited by Scook_99 -- 11/16/2012 10:07:24 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/16/2012 10:06:34 PM   
hooooper_slith

Yep, on the 4 million mark. It's not good.

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 147
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/16/2012 10:10:11 PM   
hooooper_slith

ps I would guess his plan is to pull as many elite divisions as possible, panzer and infantry, back to Germany and hold the line with as few troops as possible. That's the way it looks, anyway, peering through the fog of war. But please don't spoil the surprise for me

Post #: 148
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/16/2012 11:59:36 PM   
Scook_99

Wouldn't think of spoiling anything, bud. This is the reason we play these games, well at least I do. The ability to give each other praise, or point out bone-headed maneuvers is all in the fun. Omniscience is not part of the fun. Currently anything addressed to him goes to J. Stalin, and I receive mail to A. Hitler. Pretty sure our emails are monitored by the government, as calling someone a flea-bitten terrorist, and threatening to blow up the Kremlin contains enough key words to kick it to the anti-terrorist division. Oh, modern technology!

Post #: 149
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 2:29:15 AM   
Peltonx

1.06.11 did its job as far as putting the games into 42.

I am surpised your not pushing more. Bobo had 3.5 million kia before blizzard and almost took me out during blizzard. I was retreating 2 hexes per turn and had to commit all my reserves to hold the lines. Hugh only took 2.7 million kia and did the same as brian who had 4 million kia before blizzard.

In all cases the defender (me) used same tactics, but each attacker got different results that had little to do with the size of SHC armys.

One important thing to remember as SHC during blizzard. A 15 CV stack is not close to a 15 CV stack. GHC troops are disrupted allot during blizzard so allot of squads dont even fight. 1v1=2v1. Once you get them to retreat once you can push them around much easyer then one would think.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI