Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 11:45:09 PM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 27
The German's have stopped retreating now. The main line of resistance clearly runs along the Kharkov, Kursk, Orel, Tula line, with stubborn defence around Moscow and the long NW front to Leningrad.

Leningrad:
The weak point in the line is in the Novgorod sector, although Leningrad front does also push a hex closer to the two guards division gallantly holding out in the city centre.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/19/2012 1:05:36 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 151
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 11:47:58 PM   
hooooper_slith

On the NW front, the Red Army can only make attacks at a few points. As I would like to push south to force Army Group centre to move back from Moscow, Western Front makes a loan of the fresh 60th Army. Meanwhile 2nd Shock finally appears at the Novgorod sector.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/18/2012 12:17:20 AM >

(in reply to hooooper_slith)
Post #: 152
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 11:55:05 PM   
hooooper_slith

Outside Moscow, progress is slow. The Germans have kept their line strong here, and Kalinin Front is still weak from the defensive battles earlier in the month. It is possible that the Germans will still be in striking distance in March. At Tula, the Red Army arrives at the main German position and comes to a halt along most of the line, although some progress is made south of the city.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/19/2012 1:06:44 PM >

Post #: 153
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 11:56:24 PM   
hooooper_slith

Meanwhile, a small breakthrough is achieved on the Kursk axis.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 154
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/17/2012 11:57:55 PM   
hooooper_slith

At Kharkov, the struggle for the city is just beginning.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 155
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/18/2012 12:00:53 AM   
hooooper_slith

Finally, the south. The Dneister has frozen and the relatively fresh armies of Tolbukhin's Caucusus Front and the southernmost army of Southern Front can finally open their offensive. They achieve immediate success against the Romanian and Italian defenders, driving 40 or so miles into their position on a broad front.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/18/2012 12:12:57 AM >

Post #: 156
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/18/2012 12:10:32 AM   
hooooper_slith

So my opponent's strategy is becoming clearer. The Germans do have a fortified line, built in a hurry with the help of FZs, and the warm, sheltered cities are filled with Panzer units, probably. Meanwhile the rest of the line is being held by a thin force, often at regimental strength, and by the weak Axis allies. The aim, I'm guessing, is to shelter as many divisions as possible in Germany on the understanding that the Red Army will be too weak to do any serious damage, and will be hard pressed to hold the refreshed Wehrmacht in March. A subsidiary aim might be to allow a large bulge to appear in the southern part of the front, thereby allowing a backhand chop à la Manstein in spring or summer. Call me Mr Paranoid, but I can't think of another explanation for what I'm seeing. I would say it has a reasonable chance of success unless I can nurse the Red Army to something over 6.5 million men by June. I still think 42 is too close to call.

< Message edited by hooooper -- 11/18/2012 12:11:24 AM >

Post #: 157
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/18/2012 8:53:30 PM   
Scook_99

I think your assessment about 1942 is spot on. I really wonder what he is thinking about his minors in the south though. Not that I am an Axis master, I see some huge glaring errors I will chat with him about, long after you finish this game though. He deserves to be punished for the mistakes he is making. Oh, did you happen to note the losses at the beginning of blizzard, so you can see what the losses at the end of blizzard? I am always curious about that.

On the minors, yes you can say he is letting them take the losses up instead of the Germans, but there is minimizing German casualties and then throwing men callously to the their deaths with no regard. I'm not sure he realized you can get to Romania with some effort and luck during the Winter Offensive.

Post #: 158
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/19/2012 9:36:29 AM   
janh

Yes, indeed, that sounds conceivable. When I look at the maps, particularly at the flanks in the Valdai/Novgorod region and south of Zaproshye to the crimea, I see great trouble looming at the horizon. Winter rules aside, in any defensive situation an Army strung out like this is stretched to the breaking point. Wehrmacht is limited, and overextension will not help that. Your opponent really needs to correct his front lines and consolidate, else even with a depleted Red Army you might find some ripe fruit. Just like in the south. Looks promising, I'd keep pushing there. The longer the Axis lines get, the better. Come spring you can still extract your men to a token holding force, and he'll have a lot of marching thru bare country and fixing of railways to do before he can spring a real summer offensive in the good terrain.

Post #: 159
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/19/2012 1:09:11 PM   
hooooper_slith

Thank you janh and Scook. I'm writing all this down!

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 160
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 11/19/2012 10:14:04 PM   
Peltonx

The HUGE problem in the south is the minor allies that surrender do not return and are needed in the south to hold flanks along rivvers ect.

With them gone this will really hurt come late 42 if SHC survives.

GHC in this game is going for the kill in 42. If he doen't get it hes in deep truoble by early 43 and for sure by summer 43.

He is hell bent on taking Moscow ( 100 ManP pts) when there are 200+ in the south.

I would consider building some Corps to hold flanks and make him assault Moscow, the longer he is there the longer he will not have time to roll the south.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 11/19/2012 10:18:34 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 161
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:05:03 AM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 28

In the north and centre, the Russian slowmotion counter stroke lumbers on as divisions worn down to stumps flounder through the chest-high snow drifts against defences manned by a skeleton crew of Germans, their uniforms stuffed with back issues of the Volkischer Beobachter.

Leningrad

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:44:44 AM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 162
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:11:25 AM   
hooooper_slith

At Moscow, the Germans are dug in in strength. I'll be lucky to push them back to Vyazma before March.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 163
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:21:38 AM   
hooooper_slith

Fighting is under way at Tula. The Bryansk Front appears to be riding donkeys, armed with mops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:22:55 AM >

Post #: 164
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:23:42 AM   
hooooper_slith

Kursk. We still have a breakthrough under way, which might turn into something in a few turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:24:44 AM >

Post #: 165
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:26:54 AM   
hooooper_slith

In the South, as predicted by the kibitzers, the Axis minors have collapsed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:28:26 AM >

Post #: 166
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:30:07 AM   
hooooper_slith

And as predicted by Mr Pelton, about a corp has been wiped off the Romanian order of battle, shattered in combat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:31:28 AM >

Post #: 167
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/2/2012 3:42:13 AM   
hooooper_slith

Still fairly even, I think. The front is breaking down into a series of individual battles in the centre: Tula Orel, Kursk, Kharkov. In the south the Red Army is meeting little opposition on the Dnepropetrovsk Zaporozhye axis, which is certainly fun for me, and morale building for the troops, but we don't want a huge vulnerable salient to develop, do we? On the Moscow front the Germans are getting the better of the fighting. The Soviets are doing a little better in the north and north-west, but although they may reach the Valdai, Leningrad is still looking a long way away.

Finally, I would like to nominate the unit of the war so far. It's the plucky cavalry division that was landed at Pushkin in the final days of the German offensive, and has fought its way south through German supply lines and airbases, and which has just repelled yet another attack. Whatever happens, I do want to rescue this unit ....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/2/2012 3:50:25 AM >

Post #: 168
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:27:22 AM   
hooooper_slith

Turn 29
The Soviets continue to grind forward in the north and centre. The lack of men, machinery, artillery, planes, administrative resources and energy restricts the number of attacks that can be made to a small number, however a notable victory is scored in the Leningrad sector when 61st Army punches a hole in the German line north of Novgorod, thus creating an escape route for the 9th Cavalry Division, which is now down to 25% of its full strength.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 169
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:30:19 AM   
hooooper_slith

Moscow: biting on granite.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 170
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:32:29 AM   
hooooper_slith

Tula. An unimpressive breakthrough is made, but gains are measured in hundreds of metres. Fourth Army, which blocked the northern pincer, was taken out of the line to rest and refit. This will be committed north of Tula in an attempt to get the German out of their fortifications.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/6/2012 2:37:38 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:39:35 AM   
hooooper_slith

Kursk. Southwest Front does what it can, and some pressure is applied south of Kursk, but its armies are too weak to launch a wider offensive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/6/2012 2:41:10 AM >

Post #: 172
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:48:24 AM   
hooooper_slith

Kharkov. The battle for this city is becoming the most important in the blizzard offensive. If the Soviets can take it, they have a reasonable chance of holding the Germans in the summer. The city itself will anchor a line and two further defensive lines are being constructed behind it. I'm expecting the main German focus in 1942 to be in the Moscow area, but there will have to be attacks in this area as well ... surely ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/6/2012 3:03:52 AM >

Post #: 173
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:53:30 AM   
hooooper_slith

In the south, the offensive continues, and the Axis minors are left to take the weight alone. A hasty attack by a brigade is enough to route a Romanian or an Italian division.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 174
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 2:54:39 AM   
hooooper_slith

The big picture.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 175
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 3:00:47 AM   
hooooper_slith

Now that a salient has been created west of Dnepropetrovsk, the aim will be to strike north and south. I'm not expecting to create pockets - Soviet tank brigades aren't strong enough, the infantry divisions aren't fast enough and the cavalry corps aren't numerous enough, but it may force the Germans to give up their prepared defences at Kharkov and Nikolaev.

Order of battle. The Red Army's manpower needs to grow by an average of 40k/week to reach a reasonable size in June - so far it's more or less on course. The Rumanian Army now has seven working tanks at its disposal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hooooper -- 12/6/2012 3:06:29 AM >

Post #: 176
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 8:03:29 PM   
Scook_99

How many turns of blizzard left?

Post #: 177
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 8:14:07 PM   
hooooper_slith

The first snow turn is 38, I think. But I gather the Germans begin recovering CV in February.

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 178
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 10:31:03 PM   
Peltonx

Nice job you are forsing him to keep his armor in the field. I would consider completely cutting off the Rumanians.

You could possible take them out of the war. This is huge in the long run. The Rumanians, Hun and Italians are allot stronger then poeple think if used right because of the numbers of SU's that can be added to a defending hex when stacked with a German unit. Removing them from the table is really a big deal. It also cuts down on the # of German replacements from the disable pool that return 1% per turn. If the minors are not taking loses then 25% of the 1% per turn goes to minor allies. 10% to Rumanian.

It doesn't seem like allot but its huge after 150 turns when the germans need every single replasement they can get there hands on.

They are right there for the taking at this point, I am guessing there is zero GHC rail lines into the area. He would have to commit whatever reserves he has left to save them at this point.

If he does nothing u bag them head for Rumainian.

The move north will do little in the long run.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 179
RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of def... - 12/6/2012 11:29:42 PM   
hooooper_slith

I didn't know any of those game mechanics. But don't you mean that 25% of the 1% goes to allies if they are taking losses?

quote:

Nice job you are forsing him to keep his armor in the field.

One of the characteristics of Bomazz's playing style is that he goes for extreme plans, like concentrating all the German mech divisions in Army Group Centre after T15. I think this is another example of that: using regimental battle groups to hold the line, especially the mountain division, putting those panzer divisions that are deployed in cities and urban centres, or fortified hexes, and letting the Rumanians and Italians go the the wall (but not the Hungarians). There may be consequences down the line, but the advantage of resting a large percentage of the German army ready for the next campaigning season are obvious, and there may be opportunities to do serious damage to the Red Army long before T150. I'm certainly going to try to take advantage of the situation in the south, but I'm also planning to err on the side of caution.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: A tale of three cities: Soviets on the brink of defeat (hooooper vs Bomazz) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI