Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/15/2012 9:10:29 PM   
ASHBERY76

1 year ago today we got a Legends youtube video showing the gameplay elements narrated by the main man Elliot,same the year before with the Shakuri expansion..

I am thinking this expansion will not make an x-mas release this time.

(in reply to eltharion)
Post #: 121
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/16/2012 7:16:13 PM   
Ranbir

Holy crap. Making already the best sci-fi 4x game even better.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 122
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/17/2012 12:23:10 AM   
Hawawaa

Its fine if its going to be 2013, take your time. More time to squish bugs.

Few more bits of info and maybe preorder.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 123
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/17/2012 8:54:59 AM   
Blueberry

Just one question and a request...

Will the the aforementioned new elements of boarding/ground combat/new units be strictly limited to the age of shadows gameplay or will the installation of the latest expansion change (where appropriate, without affecting the game's plot) the Legends as well? Will the player be able to play the usual 'empires' game with some of the new stuff?

As for the request, much better AI/more diplomacy please. All the new elements without a competent AI won't do a thing.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Blueberry -- 11/17/2012 8:56:50 AM >

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 124
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/17/2012 5:05:00 PM   
Simulation01

I love how all of our questions have been completely ignored. Carry on Matrix...carry on.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 125
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/17/2012 6:27:18 PM   
Bingeling

Obviously this is not the time to spam info about the expansion. Erik could be busy, or things are still far enough off that details are not set in stone, and thus better not revealed.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 126
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/17/2012 11:17:32 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueberry

Just one question and a request...

Will the the aforementioned new elements of boarding/ground combat/new units be strictly limited to the age of shadows gameplay or will the installation of the latest expansion change (where appropriate, without affecting the game's plot) the Legends as well? Will the player be able to play the usual 'empires' game with some of the new stuff?

As for the request, much better AI/more diplomacy please. All the new elements without a competent AI won't do a thing.
Thanks.

I thought that you could play all of these features without playing the sublight scenario they are putting out.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 127
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/18/2012 2:22:17 PM   
Haree78

Well I think it really depends what the 'pre hyperspace' bit in the 'pre hyperspace Age of Shadows' means.
I'm scratching my head trying to work out how you could play a game without moving between systems....surely it doesn't mean that.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 128
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/18/2012 4:45:32 PM   
Shark7

You may actually have to research the hyperdrive before you can use one. Basically the game would start off small, with you only able to explore your own system, rid it of the pirates located there, etc.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 129
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/18/2012 7:35:45 PM   
tjhkkr

Haree, Shark -- Yeah I wonder too.
But you know in something like a globular cluster, you probably could not use a hyperdrive. Those are measured in astronomical units and not light years.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 130
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/18/2012 10:08:04 PM   
Shadowsage

Wormholes?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 131
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:46:13 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

I love how all of our questions have been completely ignored. Carry on Matrix...carry on.

I suspect/hope Elliot is eating the elephant - one byte at a time.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 132
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:21:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

Catching up with some of your questions. I can't answer all yet, but will answer some.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk
1. Can we set global minimum troop levels and alter those on a planet specific basis to stop auto troop transports stripping front line planets?

Yes, there is a new "garrison" feature and the AI knows how to use this as well. You also get to specify your desired loadout (as far as the different troop types go) at the ship and fleet level so you get the mix of troops you want for an invasion.

quote:

2. Can we now set filters for the "under attack" warning so we don't get continually spammed by it?
3. Can we upgrade spaceports not based around planets?

These are both in our feature list, thought the second is still a work in progress.

quote:

4. Will the AI code be opened up to allow the community to mod it?

Not for this release, but we have plans (which I cannot discuss in detail yet) for a modder-focused expanion after Shadows.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 133
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:22:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Modest
Now, while changes to the ground combat are great, and I am very happy about it, thing which mostly took my attention are space based factions :) For a very long time I wanted to be able to build "secret" empire in dead space, far from any solar system (with exeption of mining stations that is). Now maybe I will be able to! :D :D :D Also boarding actions sounds very interesting :)

Yes, that's the idea. The new "pirates" are not the old pirates and can become quite powerful as well as harder to find and eliminate.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 134
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:27:30 PM   
Darkspire

Well there you go, now we need another thread to discuss the expansion after the expansion were all waiting for

quote:

Not for this release, but we have plans (which I cannot discuss in detail yet) for a modder-focused expanion after Shadows.

Darkspire

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 135
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:27:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
1. How will this affect our current mods? IE will they still work?

To the best of my knowledge right now, all Legends mods should work with Shadows without any changes. Our goal is to make sure that remains that way for release.

quote:

4. Will there be new research techs given the new ground forces?

Yes, first there is a new "Level 0" on the tech tree for the pre-hyperspace techs, then there is the new Ground Combat tech tree and the new Gravitic Weapons tech tree, as well as some modifications to others.

quote:

5. Will any additional areas of the game be open to modding?

Not in the major areas, the amount of work those require makes opening them up a lot of work. However, all new work keeps modding in mind and we currently plan to make a modder-focused release after Shadows that should make some major strides forward on the modding side rather than incremental ones.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 136
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:28:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: pipewrench
Even if Matrix cannot get the new expansion out in time for the Christmas sale, it would be nice to offer a pre-order sale that discounts the existing game to new players with Shadows included.

Our holiday sale will start very soon and all existing Distant Worlds releases will be included. That means about 33% off until mid-January.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 137
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:29:48 PM   
Darkspire

Will you be adding sort functions to the quick list to the left on the main screen? Its pretty useless mid game onwards.

Darkspire

Post #: 138
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:32:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
I hope to see light micromanagement in building and organising but with complex invasion mechanics with planet and unit types being meaningfull.Groundcombat in most 4x games is pretty crappy so I wait for new details with interest.

I would recommend tweaking bombarding to a much slower rate and longer reputation hit factor.At moment bombard is a very easy tool to use and makes this new high groundcombat investment not worth it.

Day1 buy.

We are indeed trying to make this add more gameplay without requiring a lot of micromanagement. You can manage your troop loadouts at the fleet level, set garrison levels on planets and set build percentages at the policy level for the different unit types.

The unit types have different strength and abilities and specializations. There are bonuses for native planet type, planet types that you can comfortably inhabit, combined arms and some other unique interactions by unit type. Skills for Generals have become more detailed as well, with some specializing in Armor, Infantry, Special Forces, Planetary Defense, etc.

Bombarding is indeed reduced, though we are still balancing and tweaking many areas right now as well as finishing up some last features.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 139
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:35:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78
What will also be intriguing will be whether we are able to get resources off of the space faring nations. I suggested this quite some time back when there was attempts to make resources more important. If we can get needed resources from what were pirates then maybe we can tone down the amount of resources in the galaxy and make them more of an important gameplay factor without causing unfixable bottle necks like before.

Yes, when playing as an empire you can actually put in a request with these independent traders/smugglers to effectively pay them to bring a particular resource to one of your planets. You pay, they deliver. They'll also interact with your economy normally of course, as there is always some demand your own freighters may not be able to fill. At the same time, in the cases where they are connected to an independent faction, trading with them can give them a bit more influence in your economy, but that's another story.

The messaging and information regarding resource shortages is also greatly improved and planets now consume resources for their own growth needs whether they are building something or not.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 140
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:36:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yskonyn
I hope they will also incorporate economy tweaks so its less hard to make insane amounts of money.

Yes, that's part of the balance we've been working on as well. Lots of economic and resource balancing so far during Shadows development.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 141
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:38:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
I really hope the tractor beams aren't purely an offensive weapon. I'd like a way to passively deal with space creatures.

They can pull in or push away and yes they can work on space creatures as well. :-)

quote:

Shark, I still haven't got my mods updated for Legends! Modding characters was just too time consuming. We had the chance to add hundreds of characters to our mods, but that was a serious amount of data entry, typing in every single attribute.

I hope this is sorted for Shadows and we can generate random stats for our custom characters.

This is on our internal mod improvements wish list for Shadows as well (generating random stats for custom characters).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 142
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:39:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Will post more at a later date, out of time for now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 143
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:39:34 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

ORIGINAL: Modest
Now, while changes to the ground combat are great, and I am very happy about it, thing which mostly took my attention are space based factions :) For a very long time I wanted to be able to build "secret" empire in dead space, far from any solar system (with exeption of mining stations that is). Now maybe I will be able to! :D :D :D Also boarding actions sounds very interesting :)

Yes, that's the idea. The new "pirates" are not the old pirates and can become quite powerful as well as harder to find and eliminate.
Regards,
- Erik

My AWACs ships will be all the more important in a battle like that...

Cool Stuff!
Thank you Erik.

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 11/19/2012 9:44:22 PM >

Post #: 144
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:55:17 PM   
Kruos

quote:

They can pull in or push away and yes they can work on space creatures as well. :-)

This.. is very exciting! And could mean some new interaction with space creatures... for example, something like being able to launch a group of tractored kaltors on an ennemy fleet... huge!

Post #: 145
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 9:59:56 PM   
Bingeling

I like the sound of the news Erik.

I hope you have in mind that loading up an invasion fleet should not be a pain in the ass, as a mix of unit types is probably desired. It is also beneficial if this mix does not lead to AI led transports flying all over the place to try collect its missing pieces.¨

I hope the reputation raising feature of pirates is reworked alongside the rest of them. Fleshing out this part of the game sounds really interesting. And I assume that resources brokered by independents are not summoned out of thin vacuum.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 146
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 10:25:26 PM   
Cauldyth

Thanks for the info, Erik, it's all sounding pretty damn good. (And another expansion to follow this one!)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 147
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 10:30:04 PM   
hewwo

Epic! All of it! Biggest on my wishlist is to have resources be really important to you economy, so you actually have to plan around it etc! Just imagine being able to cripple an enemy empire by surgically taking out one of its most important resources :D (and have the AI do that to me)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 148
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 10:54:09 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
1. How will this affect our current mods? IE will they still work?

To the best of my knowledge right now, all Legends mods should work with Shadows without any changes. Our goal is to make sure that remains that way for release.

quote:

4. Will there be new research techs given the new ground forces?

Yes, first there is a new "Level 0" on the tech tree for the pre-hyperspace techs, then there is the new Ground Combat tech tree and the new Gravitic Weapons tech tree, as well as some modifications to others.

quote:

5. Will any additional areas of the game be open to modding?

Not in the major areas, the amount of work those require makes opening them up a lot of work. However, all new work keeps modding in mind and we currently plan to make a modder-focused release after Shadows that should make some major strides forward on the modding side rather than incremental ones.

Regards,

- Erik

Good to hear the part about current mods still working. I know the guys that have released mods put a lot of work into them and wouldn't look forward to redoing them again, and those that play those mods don't want to wait 6-9 months to be able to play the mods again.

I will always look forward to the ability to mod other parts of the game, like the resources and how they work. Then again, if I got the game exactly the way I want it, most people would hate it...most people don't want a full production based industrial model (IE resources make widgets that are used to make gadgets, etc). Yes I am a WiTP: AE JFB...which really means I like overcomplicated production systems and logistical nightmares.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 149
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 11/19/2012 10:57:09 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
I really hope the tractor beams aren't purely an offensive weapon. I'd like a way to passively deal with space creatures.

quote:

Shark, I still haven't got my mods updated for Legends! Modding characters was just too time consuming. We had the chance to add hundreds of characters to our mods, but that was a serious amount of data entry, typing in every single attribute.

I hope this is sorted for Shadows and we can generate random stats for our custom characters.

This is on our internal mod improvements wish list for Shadows as well (generating random stats for custom characters).

Regards,

- Erik

The random stats for custom characters will help a lot, though for some characters in some mods you need to set them manually. IE a Star Wars mod must always have an Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader with certain skills and stats (the 'Corrupt' trait comes to mind).

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI