Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 11:48:19 AM   
AstroCat

Yeah any mod that does not use the original file sizes needs to be resized and then rescaled to fit, this includes overlays. I also fixed all the planets minus the gas ones. Made a batch action in PS.

I wonder if this is for all graphics mods, including effects? This could be a real mess when trying to use older mods.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/5/2014 12:53:59 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 211
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 11:52:38 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: AstroCat

Yeah any mod that does not use the original file sizes needs to be resized and then rescaled to fit, this includes overlays. I also fixed all the planets minus the gas ones. Made a batch action in PS.

I wonder if this is for all graphics mods, including effects? This could be a real mess when trying to use older mods.

I am reading from page 14 of the manual as regards the renaming, there also sequence number images missing from this mod in some of the planet folders as well.

Do you want me to continue with updating the theme or do you want to collaborate on sections? If so I will PM you a dropbox link and we can tackle the various sections between us if you want?

Darkspire

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 212
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 11:54:12 AM   
AstroCat

Yeah, I'm happy to help out.

Also note you can not just resize the images, they will appear too small in the game, you have to actually re-scale them after you re-size them. It's a bit of a pain, because I had to make 2 different scale transform templates because the barren planets where a little off. It works but it is not as simple as just resizing the image unfortunately.

I did it by trial and error of lining the images up after the scale transform until they matched, then I'd load them in-game to make sure they fit the shadow file.

Problem now is none of the overlays are the correct size either. So it seems all mods have to be the original image size and scale to work, which seems like a mess!

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/5/2014 12:56:36 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 213
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 12:00:47 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

Yeah, I'm happy to help out.

Also note you can not just resize the images, they will appear too small in the game, you have to actually re-scale them after you re-size them. It's a bit of a pain, because I had to make 2 different scale transform templates because the barren planets where a little off. It works but it is not as simple as just resizing the image unfortunately.

I did it by trial and error of lining the images up after the scale transform until they matched, then I'd load them in-game to make sure they fit the shadow file.

Problem now is none of the overlays are the correct size either. So it seems all mods have to the original image size and scale to work, which seems like a mess!

I never have used it, I spent an hour or so making a script up and resizing them, never noticed the rescale, scrap than plan then, I will take the download down on the previous post.

Your right, this is a major overhaul, I have done a few things for the UI in Darkverse but I like the default planets so have never really looked at this as a viable option for an enhancement.

If you make a list of what has been done and what needs doing I will have a go at anything outstanding as you have already covered the planets?

Darkspire

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 214
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 12:09:54 PM   
AstroCat

Yeah, I got all the planets done, minus the gas ones. The gas ones are extra annoying because they are different sizes, so each size has to be basically redone as it's own set. All the other object like the stars, etc I think also have to be re-done. And this would go for any mod.

I asked about this issue because it seems like a major change that would screw up all previous mods because most people used different file sizes.

The key is figuring out which images this problem effects and which it doesn't.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/5/2014 1:30:39 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 215
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 5:45:45 PM   
necaradan666

It's my understanding from reading this thread that Martian never worked on the gas giants. The images included in GEM are merely from the game which he just left in their folder when he uploaded. No need to work on them.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 216
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 8:29:29 PM   
AstroCat

Well the gas planet file dimensions in his mod are different from the vanilla game but when I look at them they seem to be the same style and resolution. So, I think I'll skip the gas giants and move to the overlays because for sure they are not lining up any more.

What I really want to know, is this a bug? And what other files are messed up now?

Also this bug will screw up any other mod's planets unless they are the same size as vanilla, at least that is the way it seems so far.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/5/2014 9:33:53 PM >

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 217
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 9:52:27 PM   
AnddyiRaynor

I'm pretty sure the mod guide says you cannot change stars/suns.

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 218
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 10:06:19 PM   
necaradan666

AstroCat you've resized the planets but neglected to rename and copy the GEM files according to the new Universe structure, your zip includes base Universe planets. GEM only had 20 continental images Universe has added more, eg in Universe the images for continental planet 0004 has been changed to 0003, 0007 has been changed to 0006 both of which didn't exist earlier and all those between and after have moved up one, they've added copies of 0019 and 0020 called 0022 and 0023.. there is no 0021. This is the same for all the planet types, I renamed them all in my game because when playing with GEM installed I think I saw a base game ocean planet. I guess I could upload my folder somewhere if you wanted to batch rescale and resize again (I don't have the skillz and only paint) but it might be quicker for you to do your own renaming I won't have time to upload until after work.

< Message edited by necaradan666 -- 6/5/2014 11:09:34 PM >

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 219
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 10:27:35 PM   
AstroCat

Thanks for the catch. I'll see if I can fix the naming and reupload... I need to compare the vanilla game files to GEM. Thanks.

Post #: 220
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 6/5/2014 11:06:47 PM   
AstroCat

Ok, I fixed all the planets and the cloud overlays except for the frozengasgiant and gasgiant. For those 2 sets I recommend just using vanilla.

My fixes might not be 100% perfect but I think they are a definite improvement over what we had before. Let me know what you think and maybe I can adjust them if needed.

VERSION 3 FIXED NAMING, PLANETS & OVERLAYS!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dewj7hwhy7xiv1l/GEM_planets_fixed_v3.rar

I'll keep looking for other things that are "off". Let me know if anyone finds anything else that needs fixing.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/6/2014 1:09:12 AM >

Post #: 221
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2014 12:18:25 AM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

The barren planets aren't the issue - Sets like the Continental and Desert are, because of the glow, Martian added. I was merely pointing out that they (no longer?) match with the game and causes issues even with the removed shadow file. I've been manually fixing planets for about an hour now since batch won't work.

I'm still curious what has changed - If vanilla planets used to be bigger in earlier expansions, or if the game has started scaling the images down rather than letting the larger dimensions stay.

Yeah I'm seeing the same issue, could we edit the shadow file?

Image size for planets should not matter - you can use any size, though don't go too big :)

In-game the planets and moons will be scaled to the appropriate size when drawn. The shadow overlay is also scaled when added over top of the planets, with a small allowance for a thin atmosphere, i.e. the shadow will be slightly smaller than the planet, the difference is around 0.67% smaller, thus a planet drawn 300 pixels wide will have a shadow overlay 298 pixels wide.

By the way, no changes to this area since probably Legends...

1.9.5.1 did force Windows DPI scaling to be turned off, that's the only thing that could possibly impact this.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 222
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2014 12:34:01 AM   
AstroCat

Well I just checked out the stars and rays from GEM and those seem to be working fine. But, yeah for sure his planets and cloud overlays were rendering in-game way too small since I got DW:U. I resized and rescaled them to match the vanilla ones and now they for whatever the reason they render correctly.

It's odd because it seems, so far, all the other graphics are working. Maybe this is just limited to the planets and overlays?

DPI scaling, hmmm, maybe? I'm open to input, and thanks for the reply.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 223
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2014 5:55:34 AM   
necaradan666

Thanks AstroCat glad this annoyed someone other than me, who also knows how to use editing software.

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 224
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2014 9:12:02 AM   
Buio

Thanks for the fixes. :)

Post #: 225
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2014 10:54:59 AM   
AstroCat

No prob, let me know if you find any more images that are not rendering correctly. Right now it seems limited to planets and overlays.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/6/2014 11:55:26 AM >

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 226
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/9/2014 5:11:26 AM   
Tanaka

Thanks for putting in the work to fix this great mod!

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 227
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/10/2014 11:23:15 AM   
Mansen

Ah you took the easy way out, Astro. The outer glow is cut off on the sides.

I've been doing the manual cut and paste of most planets to make them fit in the original dimensions with the proper glow. It just takes forever to do on a per-planet basis.

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 228
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/10/2014 12:38:49 PM   
AstroCat

Well if you finish them all the "hard" way that would be awesome! :D

What I did was resize the overall image to the vanilla size. Then, I used a scale transform to adjust the planet image to match the dimensions of the vanilla planets 1:1. I would A:B them to make sure they matched, because not all the planet types were the same. So the glow does moves off, but the planets line up and look ok in-game. I used the same technique for the overlays, but with no glow to worry about.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/10/2014 1:41:31 PM >

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 229
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 1:27:26 AM   
Sokar408

quote:

What I did was resize the overall image to the vanilla size. Then, I used a scale transform to adjust the planet image to match the dimensions of the vanilla planets 1:1. I would A:B them to make sure they matched, because not all the planet types were the same. So the glow does moves off, but the planets line up and look ok in-game. I used the same technique for the overlays, but with no glow to worry about.

I will admit that I haven't read all the pages going back, but it seems like you have taken over this mod and keep it updated. Do you have a compilation of fixes somewhere? :)

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 230
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 2:10:36 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sokar408

quote:

I will admit that I haven't read all the pages going back, but it seems like you have taken over this mod and keep it updated. Do you have a compilation of fixes somewhere? :)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3616300

(in reply to Sokar408)
Post #: 231
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 3:36:26 AM   
necaradan666

Just because Das Chrome has nicer cursors and UI buttons, doesn't make it a replacement. GEM does other things too, ship outlines and colours, easily visible planets, many landscape options.

Things to know about GEM: Gasgiants are base game, useless as a part of GEM. Shadow image is old, delete it from GEM when you download. Only the first few landscapes are read by the game, the rest in GEM are extras for you to pick favourites from. Some people say GEM star disc is buggy, I haven't seen it cause trouble though.

The planet fixes Astrocat did are linked only a few posts up if you care to scroll a little...

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 232
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 5:02:50 AM   
pycco

other mods also do planet and ruins and much more, not that anything is wrong with GEM under AstroCat he has done a great job its just dated is all and the OP is not updating the mod.
i use GEM myself for the ship out lines, but yes there is quite a bit "broken" with GEM it causes crashes for me for example, and some of the icons are not displaying properly and the sun thing as you said that is what i believe is causing the crash.

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/15/2014 6:10:05 AM >

Post #: 233
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 9:42:28 AM   
Sirian

While trying to find a fix for the planet / shadow problem in GEM (Universe version) I stumbled upon a bug concerning planet shadows in DW. See bug report

The good thing is, I did find a fix for the planet / shadow problem, but it is a lot of work to implement. So I will wait if the shadow issue is being adressed or not.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 234
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/15/2014 10:37:10 AM   
AstroCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sirian

While trying to find a fix for the planet / shadow problem in GEM (Universe version) I stumbled upon a bug concerning planet shadows in DW. See bug report

The good thing is, I did find a fix for the planet / shadow problem, but it is a lot of work to implement. So I will wait if the shadow issue is being adressed or not.

Yes this is the problem with the game scaling we now have. Your images have to be the same size as the original game or the game does not scale them correctly. This effects many, if not all of the game .png files. I fixed this for GEM, in a post above this one. I had to resize and rescale all the planets and overlays.

But it gets even more complicated when working with new shipsets, adding the engine exhausts and running lights. Often they have to be "offset" in the .png to appear correctly in game. And, even when you do get them correctly, on subsequent loads they might be shifted around by the game and appear out of align again, this especially happens with the engine exhaust .pngs.

It's a real pain, I really hope they fix this issue. It even effects things like the landscape images.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 6/15/2014 11:39:16 AM >

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 235
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/18/2014 3:31:33 AM   
Keston

I love an attractive, sharp, efficient UI. The images on the first posts look good and are much more indicative than the standard version. I'll have to work backward to see if trying to use it in Universe defeats my simple replace-files skills, but it looks like Astrocat has kindly been plugging some holes. Thanks.

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 236
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 7/17/2014 5:15:32 PM   
rxnnxs

It looks very good to me and i combined it with the DAS Icons.
Big Problem up to now was, that the shadow/eclipse thing did not work for me. Not even with the changed pictures astrocat provided kindly.
with the last patch from universe 1955 if figured out yesterday, that if you delete (or rename) the shading.png in the shadow-directory (and therefore the standard one is used), everyting looks good.

i just took the original data (removed shading.png as described above) provided from the GEM mod and VOILA, it works!

< Message edited by rxnnxs -- 7/17/2014 6:41:19 PM >

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 237
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/16/2014 12:16:13 PM   
Hikikomori

Hello everyone.

Since i couldn't find G.E.M.s excellent ship markings for the races which were added through the DW:U Extended Mod(family 27-44), and neither for the pirate factions(family 22-26 i believe)i started doodling myself.
I am nowhere near the abilities of Martian, in fact this is my first attempt at image editing at all, but i believe as long the images are not scaled up too high they are at least tolerable.

But since i read somewhere here someone(my memory ) mentioning he was interested in doing this himself, i thought i ask here if the work is even necessary.

//i59.tinypic.com/20gg12x.png (add a http:)

My borders are much fuzzier than martians, but since i am only doing this for myself at the moment i didn't care that much, first attempt and all.
I would be delighted if someone with actual motor skills and talent would do this though, or better already did.

Test version of family 22, a pirate faction, you can test it ingame with the Akkdarians.

.dropbox.com/s/uvs745yrmaraoe9/family22.7z (i hope this works, never tried public before, add a www please, newly registered...)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and i ****ed up the position lights on most, going to have to avoid those yellow dots i presume...

EDIT 2:
Ok there is an easy way to do this with selecting layers automatically, the results are much better und its done pretty fast.
Well, on it then...

//i61.tinypic.com/24whker.jpg (add http: , real image is in png)

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/16/2014 7:05:36 PM >

(in reply to rxnnxs)
Post #: 238
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/16/2014 8:53:13 PM   
Hikikomori

So, if anyone wants to test it, here is family22 revised, position lights working, no fuzzy borders, thats pretty much the best i can do i am afraid.

.dropbox.com/s/0mm35yf5i8kk87l/family22.zip (add www)

C/P in Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\DW Extended Universe\images\units\ships

To test it start a custom game as Ackdarian pirate with an appropriate techlevel and produce them.

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 239
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/17/2014 1:37:13 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sirian

Yes this is the problem with the game scaling we now have. Your images have to be the same size as the original game or the game does not scale them correctly. This effects many, if not all of the game .png files. I fixed this for GEM, in a post above this one. I had to resize and rescale all the planets and overlays.

But it gets even more complicated when working with new shipsets, adding the engine exhausts and running lights. Often they have to be "offset" in the .png to appear correctly in game. And, even when you do get them correctly, on subsequent loads they might be shifted around by the game and appear out of align again, this especially happens with the engine exhaust .pngs.

It's a real pain, I really hope they fix this issue. It even effects things like the landscape images.

Also looks like desert planet #30 is missing?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI