Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Got some!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Got some! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Got some! - 2/27/2013 1:00:59 AM   
JeffroK

Worth the risk if he supported it, mined the port, had some CV around etc, left out on a limb it deserved this treatment.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 301
RE: Got some! - 2/27/2013 1:49:42 AM   
John 3rd

I sure expected to run into a bunch of mines there. It was a real surprise that they weren't there.

He is not predictable at all.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 302
RE: Got some! - 2/27/2013 2:26:35 PM   
Prydwen

Thanks John. I wondered how many people would get the reference. I actually changed the picture a couple days ago.

On topic with the game, nice bag of POW's you picked up at Port Blair. And looks like things are moving along nicely in Oz.

My last game, not quite a year ago, I was really into my China operations, especially the main one around Changsha. I've never cared for ground ops in this game but that was really fun. I'm interested to see how it works out for your in China.

Joe

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 303
RE: Got some! - 2/27/2013 2:51:01 PM   
John 3rd

I have to echo your comment about China. Truly hate that theatre and the abstract ground war. This Campaign has been something totally different. It has been a blast trying to smash through Dan's line.

He is about to get a very rude surprise as 3 full strength ID are about the enter the fray at Changsha. The same can be said at the other end of the line at Liuchow where two recently arrived ID are approaching Nanning and then on towards their objective. His troops are exhausted from the prolonged fighting and supply is truly dwindling as less and less AA is being fired at my planes.

Dan is continuing to up the aerial ante--further worsening his aerial issues--there are now B-26, Wellington, B-17, and the P-40/Hurricane Wings flying in China.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Prydwen)
Post #: 304
May 1, 1942 - 3/2/2013 9:52:01 PM   
John 3rd

April 30, 1942

We are closing out April 1942 and shifting gears to May. Things APPEAR to be looking pretty good in many respects. Let us go around the map and cover the regions:

North Pacific
The Empire has strengthened its bases and now has Air Flotillas at two different islands so those ever-so-loved Torpedo Planes can carry their deadly ordinance. Currently there are 3 Daitai of Kates, 1 Daitai of Val, and 2 Daitai of Zeros filling the AFs up north. Two Chutai of Emily fly air search while another 54 FP do limited air search and strong ASW work.

The Kaigun has BBs Nagato, Mutsu, and Yamato present in these waters and they make regular bombardment runs at Ditch Harbor, Cold Bay, and Akutan. This strong BB contingent is about to be reinforced by the 3 CVEs and Junyo for a CV Raid into the Gulf of Alaska. Since the American CVs are--apparently--in Southern Waters this seems like a good moment to raiding to keep Dan honest with his convoys. Want to also make my opponent think that he should have more commitment up here and, possibly, let my CVs be 'seen' so he THINKS they are north when not.

The contingent of 6-8 I-Boats have been doing pretty well up in this region.

Plans up here are for an Inf Div and a Brigade to take the three mentioned bases above. If this occurs the Japanese will add a numbers of Base Force and Engineer units as well as two Inf Reg and the 7th Marines to their 'destroyed' units list.

The Kuriles continue to be built-up and Forts added to. Just got the Ichiki Detachment and those three small Bn-sized units at Hokkaido. These will be spread along the Kuriles so the defensive line has some real teeth to it.

Central Pacific
No real action and/or planning here. Everything is supplied and digging in. Most of the atolls are at the 6,000 man limit so things look pretty solid.

South Pacific
Operation Sho-1 is well into the planning and positioning stage. Most engineers and base forces are unloading at Lunga, Tagula, Munda, and Buin. Just this day two Inf Div began loading at Soerabaja to move into the region. The Battle Plan for taking Luganville, Efate, and New Caledonia has the following infantry attached to it: 2nd, 56th, 14th, 6th, and the Imperial Guards Brigade. Three convoys carrying fuel and supply are either unloading or on their way to Truk and Rabaul to support operations. Due to Stacking Limits, the 6th and Imperial Guards are at Rabaul, the 14th at Lae, and the 2nd--56th will be at Milne Bay. Plan is to land massively at Koumac and La Foa THEN drive on to take Luganville and Efate.

Remember that we WANT Dan to react. I will begin pulling Zero Daitai from around the board to get them into the region. We'll also shoot to have 4-5 ful strength Daitai of Betty--Nells ready from action as well. LOTS of Air Search will be provided by 4 Chutai of Emily.

The Kaigun is gathered at Truk. There are currently 10 CV--CVL, 4 BB, 4 BC, 11 CA--CL, and 30 DDs present at this base. The SS count in the region is soaring as over 24 I-Boats and Ro-Class move into the area for operations.

Sho-1 begins on May 15th with landings about the 22nd.

DEI
The DEI is done with the exception of Clark and Bataan. I've got units moving around taking all the bases. BORING! Need to take Manado and keep forgetting about it. ALL Oil Facilities were taken with minimal damage THANK GOODNESS! Convoys are running and fuel, oil, supply, and resources are flowing around.

Burma
Looking pretty good. Just got my 1st full-strength Inf Div deployed to Rangoon and it is tasked with helping take Myitkyina. The 2nd Inf Div will load at Pt Bair and move to Rangoon for operations against Lashio.

Australia
Need to 'sell' taking Western Australia for as long as possible. Order my troops two hexes above Geraldton to advance south. Will use the 1st Raiding Regiment to take those dot hexes east of Geraldton to serve as a further distraction. Will also ramp up my flying ops trying to make him think I am still interested in Perth. It is all a ruse to keep him looking west and not towards New Caledonia.

Having taken Tennant Creek I have 3 TK Reg driving the units south towards Alice Springs. Want to threaten that location as well.

China
This region has been well covered and so I don't need to say much other then the fact that the battle will crescendo in about 7-10 days when my 3 full-strength Inf Div arrive at Changsha. Same will be said for 3 ID advancing from Nanning towards Liuchow. Current aerial count is roughly 150 fighters and 400 bombers participating in the aerial assault here. Changsha, Siangtan, and Hengyang's AFs are all at 100% damage. Chiahkang (Sp?) is nearly the same. His supply MUST BE near or at ZERO. I WANT TO FINISH THIS!

Am toying with issuing an OFFICIAL announcement by Premier Tojo giving China one final chance before the hammer falls to evacuate the region in question and allow for a six month ceasefire to take effect. Might be a lot of fun writing and a blast to see what Dan thinks...

Economy
We're looking pretty fair. My HI is near zero surplus due to all my expansion and building. This will begin to change as I shutdown about 75% of armament plants and 80% of vehicle production this turn.

In the next 45 days the Imperial Fleet will gain Hiyo, CVL Ryujo, 2 CL, 5 DD, and 4 SS.

Aircraft Production is excellent and it looks like Tojo will come in early by at least a month or PERHAPS two. GREAT!

This is the situation.

COMMENTS?

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/2/2013 9:54:05 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 305
RE: May 1, 1942 - 3/3/2013 6:46:13 AM   
Prydwen

Hi,

First off, think you could post a map? The big map, I mean, that shows exactly how far you've pushed the perimeter.

I don't have much in the way of comments. The only thing I'll touch on is the economy. I don't know about the zero heavy industry surplus. The reason I'll probably be a month or two before looking for a PBEM is because I'll be testing out what the economy can handle in an AI or head to head vs myself game. Maybe you have already done so. If you have then I'd sure love to hear what you found out. I just don't see the point of looking for a game when I don't know that I'll have destroyed the Japanese economy in three months.

Also, what prompted the acquisition of the caboose? It's looking good, by the way. If I had that as an office the wife would never see me!

Oh, and I'm still super interested in China! Anything new there at all?

Joe

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 306
25251 - 3/3/2013 3:52:58 PM   
John 3rd

I can easily Post the BIG MAP.

Let me answer the caboose question before any game stuff.

My wife and I are historians of a sort. I am due to training and profession. Paula is through love of local history. She volunteered as a kid at our Centennial Village and worked there many years. So first we tend to love anything that is old and has history to it. We have both been raised by Father's who were/are train nuts. My Father couldn't get enough time playing around steam excursions and Amtrak while her Dad loves train yards, engines, and the history of the RR. The local angle kicks in where so many of these cabooses were donated in the 80s to towns where rail history was vitally important for that town. Our caboose is a Union Pacific CA-5 #25251 built in July 1952. It was donated by UP to the town of La Salle in 1989. Families would take pictures on it and it made for a nice gathering place next to the town depot. The town had it on display over the years but was not willing to keep it taken care of. It gradually declined and the Chief Operating Officer of the town decided to ram through the Trustees getting rid of it without telling the community. Repainting and upkeep, plus a fence to go around it, was gonna cost $10-15,000 and no one with the town wanted to pay for it. This money could have easily been fundraised but they deiced to e rid of it without getting input. OK. It moves five years ago about 7 miles south of here to Gilcrest where it sits and further rusts.

OK. Into the picture we come. My family had driven by the 'boose numerous times going up and down highway 85. We often talked about how sad it was and wondered if anything would ever be done. My Father died 18-20 months ago and last April our financial reality changed. Within days of this happening Paula saw a 'for sale' sign go up on 25251. She immediately pulled over, took the sign down, and walked into the salvage office saying we'd buy it. I was then INFORMED and asked! We were/are looking at buying an old school house SE of here that sits on 3.5 acres and converting it into a meeting, conference, and wedding center. Our PLAN was to place the caboose there, however, negotiations have drug on for nearly a year. I'll Post a picture of Big Bend in a bit. It dawned on us that we'd have to place the 'boose on our property and so, in August, I began constructing the railbed for a pair of 40 Ft pieces of track.

We negotiated with the own Board to bring it back in and place it by crane onto our rail line. This took a bout a month but we hammered out a year-to-agreement and it moved here November 4, 2012. If you want to see the whole process of THAT, go to You Tube: "Moving a 1952 Union Pacific Caboose" and enjoy watching the whole pick-up, transport, and placement of our baby.

The exterior is now done with the adding of the stove pipe this week and so we move to the inside. WE are RESTORING the caboose to circa mid-70s. It will be completing redone with the cupola seats put in, working stove, electricity, 3 bunks, and work desks. My boys get to use for sleepovers, homework, and anything else they want. We shall use it as a breakfast nook and office. Our WiFI reaches it so computer work can be done there as well. The plan is to be done and open it for the community in mid-July during our town celebration of La Salle Days. We'll do guided tours and pictures all that weekend then add a couple hours a weekend for others to come by and do the same.

The UP guys (BIG boys with BIG toys) have been great. They are donating all sorts of things to us. We just got a track switch and shall be getting a track light sometime soon that does the 'red' or 'green' light you see along the tracks. A lot of people like to have G (Garden) Scale Railroads. Well....the Cochran House has RL Scale: REAL LIFE SCALE!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Prydwen)
Post #: 307
Big Bend - 3/3/2013 4:24:39 PM   
John 3rd

Here is the front of Big Bend School. It was built in 1913, expanded in 1927, and closed in 1961. The school is 12,500 Sq Ft, has a gym with stage, 12 classrooms, a kitchen, and an apartment.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 308
Big Bend - 3/3/2013 4:28:59 PM   
John 3rd

Here is a shot from the rear giving a good visual to the size and architecture of the building. Our first step is to get it on the Colorado Historical Buildings Register.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 309
World Map: May 1st - 3/3/2013 4:36:25 PM   
John 3rd

As asked, here is the world map. I've drawn the current perimeter and have the Operational Arrows for the CV Raid into North Hawaiian Water/Gulf of Alaska and Sho-1 to the south.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 310
VP State - 3/3/2013 4:43:06 PM   
John 3rd

OK. I Posted April 1, 1942 VP Screen a while ago. Here is the May 1st Screen. Over that month the Japanese gained 2,227 Victory Points, whereas, the Allies gained 138. LIKE THAT RATIO! Japan lost five ships and the Allies lost eighteen in a pretty quiet month within that arena.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 311
RE: Big Bend - 3/3/2013 4:58:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Here is a shot from the rear giving a good visual to the size and architecture of the building. Our first step is to get it on the Colorado Historical Buildings Register.

But won't that make everything you do with it cost a whole lot more money, plus trouble from busybodies giving you trouble about anything and everything?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 312
China Status - 3/3/2013 5:07:53 PM   
John 3rd

Here is, finally, China. I will cover the Japanese Right (RED), Center (PINK), and Left (BLACK):

Changsha Area
Currently the 12th, 15th, and 59th ID with an Artillery unit and two Engineers bombard the city. AV is roughly equal at 1,000 to 900. The AF is 100% damaged and Forts are at ZERO. Arriving from the NE are the 32nd and 116th ID along with another Artie and Engineer unit. They will be in the hex within 2-3 days and with that I SHOULD be able to take the city.

SW--SE of the city sits the badly damaged 3rd and 39th ID. They are each reduced to roughly 125-175 AV. The 39th is moving SE to take back that dot hex and block ANY form of egress from the kill box. East of Changsha is 2 Corps and an HQ. SE of Changsha is 4 Corps and an HQ. I WANT THEM once Changsha falls.

Shaoyang Area
LOOK at the units BEHIND his MLR at Changsha!

Shaoyang has the 36th ID, 3 Regiments, and two Base Forces present. Forts just went to three and I plan to move the ID down into the nearby city west of Changsha.

The clear hex by the river (SW of Shaoyang) has the 104th ID and an Art unit. To their NNE are 2 Armored Car units. ANY unit entering these two hexes is subject to massed attack by my LBA. Twice I have easily driven troops out of those hexes with the combination of LBA and a Ground Attack.

The pair of cities SE of Shaoyang and west of Changsha have 8 units EACH in them. Shaoyang is the 'Deep Hook' of the Falaise Pocket. The 'Short Hook' is trapping those unit east of Changsha but the real prize COULD be those 16 units and the 12 in Changsha. Doubt if I can kills them off but it will be worth a try. I should note that nearly EVERY Chinese base listed in this area has their AFs 100% damaged.

Nanning Area
The 17th, 18th, 22nd ID and 2 TK Reg are sitting in Nanning while the 21st ID and two Artie units are unloading at Haiphong. Southern Army will be at Canton within 3 days. Once these units are combined we shall move on Liuchow and drive from there. Liuchow has little to no Forts and the AF is 100% damaged.

LBA
The key to all of this has been my massing of LBA. We're flying a total of 180 Fighters, 390 Bombers, 133 Transports, and 18 Recon planes in this arena of operations. Bases and AF Size: Ichang AF-5, Hankow AF-7, Kukong AF-4, Wuchow AF-2(83), Canton AF-8, and Shanghai AF-8.

That is the state of the battle at this time...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/3/2013 5:08:36 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 313
RE: Big Bend - 3/3/2013 5:14:31 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

But won't that make everything you do with it cost a whole lot more money, plus trouble from busybodies giving you trouble about anything and everything?

GREAT COMMENT!

We thought the same thing at first but have discovered our REAL ENEMY to be Planning and Zoning. The Historic Society designation ONLY applies to the exterior of the building. We can restore and/or change whatever we want inside. Getting listed allows us to qualify for all sorts of exterior repair work. We need bunches of windows and the mortar worked on in some areas of the building.

We want to buy it sometime this Spring begin work on the grounds, and slowly work inside project by project. Thank God we don't have to deal with asbestos! Building is too old for that. Paula and I (with a good friend who is a contractor) are now in the fix-and-flip business where we hope to finance the building restoration through our sale of homes. A tentative guess is about $250,000 to get the old girl open. We're hoping to accomplish this in about 2 years...WE HOPE...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 314
Sho-1 - 3/4/2013 4:41:33 AM   
John 3rd

Dan and I got in two turns today which is pretty good for a Sunday.

Thought I would Post the modest opening moves of Sho-1:

1. Lunga begins to get its reinforcements bolstering AF construction. An Air Flotilla is nearly unloaded with another TF bringing along a Base Force and Pioneer Bn.

2. I want to advance my Emily Search abilities so I've selected Ndeni for a new base closer to Luganville. It might be just close enough to provoke a minor response. A TF carrying 2 Naval Construction Bn and a Pioneer Bn with about 10,000 supply will move in within 3 days. An escort prepares to leave Lunga providing six DDs. A follow-on TF is bringing a Naval Guard to provide some atoll defense.

3. Have decided to sortie a portion of the Kaigun to distract from this opening move. The 4 BB that had pasted Cocos and Port Blair arrived about a week ago at Truk and have departed to do a Bombardment of Luganville. Should seriously mess with his PBY flying out of there. The CVs shall provide distant cover in case something happens.

4. Have several CM and two of my ML SS loading mines at Rabaul to offload at Tagula, Milne Bay, and Ndeni.

5. Fly-In fifteen Emily to Lunga on May 1st. They shall become active on the 5th. Between the dozen at Tagula and the fifteen here we should have adequate coverage for spotting trouble well before it arrives.

Here is the screenshot:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 315
Left or Right? - 3/4/2013 4:58:35 AM   
John 3rd

Have been bored tonight so I went thoroughly through the last turn we played (May 3rd) and am looking at all sorts of stuff from aircraft deployment to Fleet usage.

While going through this the map got me to thinking whether I should launch my Commerce Raid (Junyo, Hosho, Taiyo, and Unyo escorted by 3 CA, CL, and 8 DD carrying 75 Zero, 18 Val, and 37 Kate) up North as I have been planning OR over in the IO? I ask for opinions because the Aleutians have been soooooooooooooooooo quiet over the last 6-8 weeks. Haven't SEEN a ship closer then Seward--Anchorage in over a month, whereas, I am certain I can get some serious shipping moving to and then away from Cocos. The Emily at Cocos have occasionally spotted shipping moving at the edge of their search range.

The danger with changing plan to the IO would be encountering a sizeable portion of the Allied Fleet. Very real chance of that and it would be BAD for this TF to run into issues. There is no doubt my opponent will come after Cocos sometime sooner or later. This is why I am gradually building it up with troops, mines, and CD. The 4th ID is prepping right now to move back into the base after resting in Soerabaja. Heck might need the CVs just to Cover that important convoy!

It is a conundrum.

Thoughts? Ideas?

In the box or out of the box I am open for thinking...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 316
RE: Left or Right? - 3/4/2013 2:31:19 PM   
Prydwen

Hi,

Thanks for the big map. It really helps to see that one every now and then.

Interesting story about the caboose. I wouldn't mind having one of my own but I have nowhere to put it. I think it would make a great place to get out away from it all. Wouldn't fit out front and the back yard is too small too...

Seeing the pictures of the school brings back memories of a place back in my hometown. I think it had been a school or a hospital. It was on the historic register and was built around 1900 or so. I have an associates degree in architecture so buildings, especially old, classic buildings have always had a soft spot in my heart. I always thought that hospital would make the most amazing home. It was three stories, all brick, and had to have at least 75 rooms in it. You could make it into whatever you could dream up. Want a pool inside? No problem. Want a bowling alley? Easy. I would've loved to see it with stained glass windows and a big glass dome on top with an indoor garden inside. I can see it in my head. Unless I win the lottery it'll never happen but it's still awesome to dream. Some people look at old buildings and see an old building that ought to be torn down. I look and see what it used to be and what it could be.

I suppose I digress.

For your carrier raid, I don't remember off the top of my head where you have the KB stationed. Have you ever considered a West coast raid? I bet you could really smash something around LA or San Francisco. Outside the box, stupid, or impossible? Maybe. Worth a thought? Maybe that too.

Go get 'em, John!

Joe

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 317
RE: Left or Right? - 3/4/2013 2:45:53 PM   
John 3rd

The Kaigun is concentrated at Truk. As described above I am sending out the 4 old BBs to bombard Luganville while the CVs shall sortie and Cover the area north of Luganville pending on a response from Dan. Have abundant fuel at Truk and a growing stockpile at Rabaul. Shall be bringing fuel into Tulagi so it can serve as a stop for escorts and smaller ship. A pair of AKEs are headed there presently. I've got 4th Fleet HQ at Tulagi and have begun expansion work on the facilities.

I mentioned plans for Cocos last night so I should add Port Blair to that today. I've lifted off the pair of ID that took the base and they are going elsewhere. My plans are to place all of the Imperial Guards there for the duration. Want to let them recover for another couple of weeks and then place them as the main defensive strength to hold the base. I've kept myself very quiet in the IO since grabbing Blair and I bet this has perplexed Dan a little bit. Let him be perplexed. Don't intend to do much but stage small raids with DDs and CLs at small bases. Have one of those running right now with a CL and 6 DD moving on Diego Garcia.

Making a raid down the West Coast is something I have never done and it might be fun, however, my 'Raiding' TF isn't very strong at all. Going into the Gulf of Alaska and towards Vancouver might net something and certainly gain some attention from Dan. I've been trying to channel Dan in my thinking last night and tonight and I keep thinking that there will certainly be Convoys running to Australia from either side. This is a certainty. That has has Convoys running up to the backwater of Alaska is not so much of a certainty. I could change that by attacking Dutch Harbor, Akutan, and Cold Bay. Without doubt an Offensive up there would trigger some sort of movement. THAT could be capitalized on by my Raiders.

Hmmm....am going to think on it while I get ready for the morning turn...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/4/2013 2:46:12 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Prydwen)
Post #: 318
RE: Left or Right? - 3/4/2013 4:24:15 PM   
John 3rd

First turn in the bank for today.

Nothing major to report other then it appears he might have figured out the HAMMER is about to hit Changsha. There is troop movement east of Changsha where 3 Corps and an HQ have been sitting ineffectually fighting an ID of mine in the trees. The time is now to attack. I order bombardment to cease so I can stock up some supplies. Tomorrow I shall focus ALL my bombers on the LCU at Changsha. This aerial assault will last 2-3 days then the troops shall attack. Everyone is near 100% prepped for the attack with China Command HQ sitting just 4 hexes away. I have high hopes for the attack. The AV is 1544--969 presently with the one more ID due in two days to raise my total to 2,000.

Form-up my Raiders today at Yokohoma. Loaded a Daitai of Zeros and Kates onto my 2 CVEs and made the decision to go south. Emily at Cocos spotted a TF at the edge of range. He HAS to be skirting the map edge moving troops, supplies, and planes to Australia. FINE. We'll go and pay a visit to that area. There is grave risk here since I could run into all sorts of issues but we'll give it a shot anyway. Thought about leaving Junyo behind but that would TRULY weaken the TF to just 39 Zero and 35 Kate.

Two Daitai of Zeros (72 Planes) depart Tokyo to fly to Rabaul for Sho-1. They make the hop to Chuichi Jima for their first leg. Tomorrow Saipan.

Have a bombardment TF heading into Dutch Harbor. Should hit there in two days.

A decoy TF of several DDs and AKs left Port Hedlund today. They are moving around the tip of Aussieland then to open sea. I WANT them to be seen! This should raise Dan's fears of a major amphib attack along the west coast of Kangarooland. Will order a Zero Sweep after the TF is spotted to make it look like my operational tempo is increasing. Paras will also take those dot bases wast of Carnavon to further raise the deception.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/4/2013 4:25:45 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 319
ASW Work - 3/4/2013 5:38:50 PM   
John 3rd

May 5, 1942

Have neglected to talk about the ASW work being done by my aircraft. Since Dan's SS have been very lucky in this game, I had to shift over to more of a 1943 attitude regarding ASW dedicated assets. My planes have been doing pretty well. I first train them in ASW and then Naval Attack. In areas where SS congregate this can become very dangerous for the Allied subs. Witness the Aleutians right now. There are about a dozen Allied SS up here and my Kates and Vals have been doing pretty well getting reported hits DAILY. Right now I have 54 FP flying Air Search and two Kate-one Val Daitai flying OPs at 30% ASW. Seems to be working pretty well.

Activities:

1. First troops arrive at Ndeni to begin base construction. We'll see if he does anything over the next couple of days.

2. Resting Changsha LCU to build-up supply. ALL China bombers set for Ground Attack in that hex. Last Inf Div arrives tomorrow and I shall attack the day after that.

3. From Shaoyang I order out a Regiment to cut the road coming down to Siangtan. It is the only supply path open to Dan.

4. He did pull out his most beat-up Chinese Corps from the hex east of Changsha to Changsha itself.

5. In 'selling' the Western Aussie option, Dan moves to sweep the skies over the LCUs moving down on Carnavon. A squadron of Wildkittens and P-40s sweep against 11 Zero. I lose 4 Zero for an equal number of Allied planes. Will Sweep Carnavon tomorrow to make him think I am interested...

Here is the ASW Screenshot:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 320
CHOPPED Suey! - 3/5/2013 4:40:29 AM   
John 3rd

May 6, 1942

The skies over Changsha are full of aircraft as Raid after Raid pummel the Chinese defenders. The litany is the same as the previous day:

Raid 1: 2 Zero 34 Bombers--65th Corps 69 Cas
Raid 2: 4 Z 59 B--72nd Corps 193 Cas
Raid 3: 12 F 6 B--7 Cas and Runway Hits
Raid 4: 76 B--49th Corps 252 Cas
Raid 5: 37 Cas--72nd Corps 169 Cas

The exhausted troops gird themselves for the assault about to hit them. The recent arrival of nearly 40,000 fresh Japanese Infantry has been reported and morale is quite low. Supply is gone. Hope is gone.

The sun sets and massed Artillery barrage opens on the very Corps so hard hit during the day. The beleaguered 65th and 72nd Corps collapse and open the way for the Japanese to pour into the city. Quickly the Assault gains speed and the Chinese simply put---FLEE! Thousands are killed, wounded, and/or taken prisoner.

Changsha is now JAPANESE!

Japanese Deliberate Attack: 3-1 (2187--637)
Japanese Casualties: 3,771
Chinese Casualties: 14,285

The Chinese flee across the river. The Japanese head NW crossing the river. They also move NE cutting in behind 2 Chinese Corps and an HQ. They move SE cutting into the rear of 2 more Chinese Corps and another HQ unit. First job is to destroy these units while at the same time try to trap the THIRTY units now in Siangtan and nine units in Hengyang!

BANZAI BABY!!!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 321
RE: CHOPPED Suey! - 3/5/2013 3:11:01 PM   
Prydwen

Hi,

I was curious where the KB was because I meant they should go along on the raid. A West coast raid should probably be an all or nothing affair. If you do head that way I would go towards Panama. Or go to the Indian ocean. I expect he is using off map movement to supply India and Oz. It's safer that way for him. In any case, where you go depends on what your objective is. If you want to sink ships anywhere will do but if you have a bigger goal you'll have to weigh that against your capabilities and opponent.

Congrats on Changsha by the way! That place is always a bear to take. That urban terrain is a killer.

Joe

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 322
RE: CHOPPED Suey! - 3/5/2013 9:05:20 PM   
pws1225

Nice work at Changsha, John. Looks like you've pushed through CR's main defensive line in China. Once you've taken care of the remaining LCUs around Changsha, what are your plans for the rest of China?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 323
Falaise Pocket? - 3/7/2013 3:40:54 AM   
John 3rd

Spoke with Michael for quite a while today as I was driving on store business. He asked for a screenshot with hexside control in the Changsha Area. There are 20 units in Siangtan (14 were forced to retreat from Changsha), 9 units in Hengyang, and 3 units west of there. As you can see (I hope) the noose is tightening. I had an Inf Div smash across the river from Changsha and absolutely CRUSH a Chinese Corps there cutting the road exiting Siangtan. That Corps was nailed by 90 Bombers who REALLY inflicted some pain doing almost 900 Casualties. The Japanese 1st Raiders (Para) are moving into the hex NE of the forested hex NE of Shaoyang (NW of Siangtan).

Any Chinese unit that moves out of the box will be nailed by LBA. You can see the arrows denoting his attempts at movement currently. Over 200 Bombers are assigned to hit Chinese LCUs slowing their movement. I, realistically, don't think I can bag all these troops but I can kick the living HELL out of them while they are exposed and trying to flee!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 324
RE: CHOPPED Suey! - 3/7/2013 3:44:57 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Nice work at Changsha, John. Looks like you've pushed through CR's main defensive line in China. Once you've taken care of the remaining LCUs around Changsha, what are your plans for the rest of China?

We'll shoot for the capture of Siangtan and Hengyang while Liuchow and that other town NE of there will also be blasted out. I want to force a withdrawal all the way back to the River NW.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 325
RE: CHOPPED Suey! - 3/7/2013 3:48:54 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItsAMadhouse

Hi,

I was curious where the KB was because I meant they should go along on the raid. A West coast raid should probably be an all or nothing affair. If you do head that way I would go towards Panama. Or go to the Indian ocean. I expect he is using off map movement to supply India and Oz. It's safer that way for him. In any case, where you go depends on what your objective is. If you want to sink ships anywhere will do but if you have a bigger goal you'll have to weigh that against your capabilities and opponent.

Congrats on Changsha by the way! That place is always a bear to take. That urban terrain is a killer.

Joe

Hey Joe.

I am certain that CR is moving troops and convoys just at the edge of Emily range from Cocos. Cocos is also sticking out there and and is a mighty fine target to try for Dan to re-take. I now have the 5th ID, an Atoll Defense Unit, and Air Flotilla unloading. At the same time I will lift off 6 Engineering Units to move onto the Western Sumatra Coast to begin Fort construction. Am starting this NOW just incase Dan truly decides to do something foolish...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Prydwen)
Post #: 326
CHOPPED Suey! - 3/7/2013 3:54:43 PM   
John 3rd

May 11, 1942

The Chinese are scattering in their attempt to flee the Japanese encirclement. I've drawn arrows in black for their movement. Japanese movement is in Red and two attacks were launched netting one good and one promising result. The Northern attack at 81,49 gets a 2-1 and we will drive that Chinese Corps out tomorrow. The attack east of Changsha misses a 1-1 by only 20 points. Shock Attack tomorrow with 100 bombers supporting the assault.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 327
Elsewhere... - 3/7/2013 4:07:21 PM   
John 3rd

This day sees the implementation of other facets of developing planning and strategy:

Australia
1. I have allowed two TF to be seen moving down the west coast of Australia. They are 12-15 hexes from the coast and have been caught every so often by PBYs. GOOD. I want him to think these are amphibs moving for the western hook into Australia.
2. Paras descend and capture Cue and Meekatharra E and NE of Geraldton. Lends credence to the illusion of the attack.
3. Sweep Geraldton and encounter just P-40s where I found them and F4Fs yesterday. My Sea Eagles do OK shooting down at least 2-1.

Sho-1
1. Ndeni is done with unloading and TF are returning to their bases. Base Expansion is going rapidly. Two Emily units arrive and shall Recon Suva--Nadi tomorrow.
2. My last two Inf Div for Sho-1 are just passing Port Moresby and are headed to Milne Bay. Plan to begin loading and final prep in two days.
3. 4 BBs hit Luganville on the 10th and spotted a Marine Defense Bn as well as a USN Base Force. Looks to be about all that is there: GOOD.
4. Split the BBs by Divisions to hit Koumac and Efate while doing recon of those bases.
5. KB returns to Truk for fuel and panes then shall depart immediately to make its presence felt Covering the Invasions.
6. Lunga looks GREAT as 11th Air Fleet joins the Air Flotilla already present. Will hit Lvl-3 AF in days. Level 4 will come quickly after that. There are now 72 Zeros present with 36 in Rabaul and also Port Moresby. Betty/Nell are on the way...

ASW
1. Banner day as my ASW PLanes hit SIX of Dan's SS. An ASW TF accounts for damage to a 7th. Pretty good there.

SW Area
1. Cocos looks great with nearly all troops unloaded. Base will be about 4,000 over limit. Don't like that but want to make sure any assault is COSTLY!
2. Dan left behind a Javanese Inf unit at Christmas IO. Time to deal with that. Begin loading an Inf Reg to take it.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 328
Clearing Things Out... - 3/8/2013 2:42:35 AM   
John 3rd

May 11, 1942

Attacks at two points in the China line yield victories as the hex NE of Changteh is cleared with a 5-1 result. Japanese Casualties are 624 to 3,598 Chinese. NICE! The assault east of Changsha also got 2-1 and forced one of three units to retreat. Casualties here are more even: 1,454 Japanese to 1,730 Chinese.

An Inf Div enters Siangtan from Shaoyang and heavy bombing occurs all up and down the line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/8/2013 2:43:53 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 329
May 15, 1942 - 3/10/2013 9:10:09 PM   
John 3rd

May 15, 1942

China

Siangtan is taken by an Inf Div as the Chinese--of all directions--are fleeing SW of the Changsha Area. Thirty units are on the move and they are a mess. I had an Inf Div Combat Command easily handle a six unit Chinese attack (1-99) as they crossed the river taking large casualties. Continue vectoring in troops for try and corral the Chinese. REGARDLESS of how troops fall the immediate goals of this massive campaign are all almost met. Changsha, Siangtan, and Shaoyang are Japanese and it appears Hengyang will be quite soon. Pretty wild to think how quickly things have shaken apart...

Sho-1
Operational Orders are finalized and all TF begin forming up on May 13th with the GO order sent on the 15th. Objective List: 2nd ID to take Luganville (held by a Marine Defense Bn and USN BF), Imperial Guards Birgade for Efate (no units known to be there), and the 6th, 14th, and 56th IDs to land at Koumac. There are troops there but not too many.

KB departs Rabaul on the 14th heading SSE.

The Surface assets to protect the convoys are gathered at Tulagi. A total of 4 BB, 6 CA, 5 CL, and 27 DD will comprise the escorting, cover, and bombardment TF.

Lunga is AF 3 about to go to 4 and Ndeni just went to Lvl-1 with 2 not too far away. Over 100 Betty are about to make their presence known at Lunga with a day or two.

Australia
Paras grab Cue and Meekatharra and immediately draw B-26 raids that are met by LRCAP Zeros. Nice results. Order the 6 units north of Geraldton to advance south. Two 'Invasion TF' dangle SE of Perth. It is ALLLLLLL BS. Nothing will actually happen and in one days everything will be ordered home. The decoy--if it worked at all--is done. Time to focus on Sho-1.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Got some! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI