Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: February 1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 1945 Page: <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: February 1945 - 11/11/2017 11:37:47 PM   
Lowpe

The AFB can choose to fight the Manchuko garrison, which by this time is junk troops, or the better troops and even worse terrain on most of Honshu. Or bomb you to death. Or a combination. I believe in a month or two some serious reinforcements spawn in Manchuko...

The sad fact is that Japan can not normally ever attack at this stage of the game unless the Allies are really careless.

The supply drain of fighting in Korea and China will prove a synergy to the Allies, but at least lack of supply will not be used to calculate garrison strength. That potential 13,000 AV in Korea will very quickly degrade down to 3,250 as supply is eradicated. The interesting thing to see will be if the Allies target the light industry in Japanese held Korea/Manchuko/China to hasten that eventuality (and close off supply runs to Rashin) -- or will the Allies pursue a strategic bombing focus over Honshu instead or will it be a combination of both.

Another point that Korea will give to the Allies is even less hiding spots for Japan's inferior planes and less naval ports to hide in.

As always, your mission is to bleed the Allies at every turn. BTW, do you have any naval torpedo bombers on night attack?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5641
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 2:05:55 AM   
John 3rd

Dan claims that this will be decided 'within 2 months' of time. Find that hard to believe.

I'll be happy when it is over but just am not willing to buy his timeline presently.

Unless there are far more Allied troops then I know about he is wrapped into the Mainland for at least 2-3 months. He has to take everything, accept and fill replacements for the ground units, prep, load, and attack.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5642
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 6:45:26 AM   
Crackaces

It is my experience given the current position that Lowpe has a very good grasp on what will evolve from this invasion. Again, I have no clue what the current supply situation looks like, but I do know that the movement and use of supplies is quite insidious as the Allies engage more and more units. Depending on supply your xx,xxx AV will be the equivalent of xxx AV and die quickly. An assessment of supply and using the arrow keys to move that supply where you want to fight might be too late .. but I might suggest thinking about this anyway.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5643
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 2:17:35 PM   
John 3rd

I do not doubt Lowpe whatsoever. He is a good and strong Sensei.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5644
February 1945 - 11/12/2017 2:20:42 PM   
John 3rd

February 3, 1945
Fusan, KOREA

The Allies have landed on the west coast of Korea. In a predictable tactic, they dispatch small STF to interfere with Japanese movements. This evening, three American DDs enter the area around Fusan, Korea and are startled to find a Japanese capital ship waiting for them.

CB Ikoma, a CA, and 5 DDs engage the Americans. Though Japan loses a 2nd Class DD, the Americans do not live to tell about it.

Ikoma reloads from the Port and moves west...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5645
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 2:48:54 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

An assessment of supply and using the arrow keys to move that supply where you want to fight might be too late .. but I might suggest thinking about this anyway.

It is never too late for this. You have to selectively starve your troops in bases (a solid tactic), as the troops in the field will pull supply no matter what...which means it is often better fight in the fields:

better supply pull for troops actually fighting
forts never degrade

and starve troops in bases, except for select supply bases.

Needless to say most devices are set to stockpile and most units have reinforcements off...with artillery, tanks (type 3), AA, IJA 43 squads set to reinforce generally. Of course newly arriving units will pull supply so you will still always be making pointless devices at this stage of the game.

A word about newly arriving reinforcements: their morale and experience stink. Try to use them to garrison and relieve those troops with decent morale and experience for front line usage. Sometimes though you have to use what you have...especially artillery and tanks.

I think John can get the game to last longer than 2 months, but he really needs to be prepared for several different possible Allied endings. Deny those VP and build Japans every day. Make every Allied attack somewhat expensive...like the Ikoma there.

I am curious where are all of Japan's mobile coastal defense guns? If they are in now relative backwaters, it may make sense to get them back to Honshu...they often have some of the best AA in Japan's toolbox.

A possible meta tactic to use...it to cause the Allies to make lots of clicks on relatively meaningless areas...adds to turn fatigue and can possible slow the Allies down.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/12/2017 2:52:08 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5646
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 2:53:45 PM   
John 3rd

At this point, eight Inf Div have begun to pack up and move into southern Korea. Several smaller Inf units have already been loaded at the Home Islands and are unloading at Fusan.

Gunzan falls on the 3rd. It is bombarded by BB Colorado and Maryland. During the day, over 125 B-24 hit the troops there for the second day in a row (no comment). They are met by 35 SAMS and a nice number drop, however, nothing helps against the weight of five full strength Allied Divisions as well as nearly 20 additional units.

Paratroops are being sent on suicide missions dropping in Keijo for the 2nd day in a row (and being wiped out). Masan sees a similar result--all dead. They are looking for unoccupied bases or litely held ones. Taikyu falls prior to troops reaching it so that is a problem.

Major Identified units: 31st ID, 2nd and 5th Marine IDs, and 1st Cavalry Div. There is another ID but I missed the number.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 11/12/2017 2:54:59 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5647
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 3:02:08 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

An assessment of supply and using the arrow keys to move that supply where you want to fight might be too late .. but I might suggest thinking about this anyway.

It is never too late for this. You have to selectively starve your troops in bases (a solid tactic), as the troops in the field will pull supply no matter what...which means it is often better fight in the fields:

better supply pull for troops actually fighting
forts never degrade

and starve troops in bases, except for select supply bases.

Needless to say most devices are set to stockpile and most units have reinforcements off...with artillery, tanks (type 3), AA, IJA 43 squads set to reinforce generally. Of course newly arriving units will pull supply so you will still always be making pointless devices at this stage of the game.

A word about newly arriving reinforcements: their morale and experience stink. Try to use them to garrison and relieve those troops with decent morale and experience for front line usage. Sometimes though you have to use what you have...especially artillery and tanks.

I think John can get the game to last longer than 2 months, but he really needs to be prepared for several different possible Allied endings. Deny those VP and build Japans every day. Make every Allied attack somewhat expensive...like the Ikoma there.

I am curious where are all of Japan's mobile coastal defense guns? If they are in now relative backwaters, it may make sense to get them back to Honshu...they often have some of the best AA in Japan's toolbox.

A possible meta tactic to use...it to cause the Allies to make lots of clicks on relatively meaningless areas...adds to turn fatigue and can possible slow the Allies down.

I have been allowed to pick-up nearly all my CD units in the Pacific and bring them home. The entire Isle of Kyushu has at one Fortress and one CD in it. The SW Honshu bases are the same.

Have pulled some fighters from the HI to provide CAP over Fusan to allow delivery.

Mines have been getting sown at Moppo, Senshu, and Fusan. last turn saw orders go out to 6 groups of MTB and 18 Midget SS to move to the first two bases listed above. We're seeking to create a thin defense in depth in this area. Nothing to stop a particular thrust but enough to slow and harry the enemy.

BBs Musashi and Nagato as well as BC Kongo are on the move.

The two Kido Butai TFs containing 10 CV, 6 CA, 2 CL, and 14 DD are past Iwo Jima heading for home. As described before, the CVs will offload their planes and then go to the Kuiles and disband in port. The surface units will form STF and seek to raise some HELL! Its as good a place to die as any I guess...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5648
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 3:02:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

At this point, eight Inf Div have begun to pack up and move into southern Korea. Several smaller Inf units have already been loaded at the Home Islands and are unloading at Fusan.

Gunzan falls on the 3rd. It is bombarded by BB Colorado and Maryland. During the day, over 125 B-24 hit the troops there for the second day in a row (no comment). They are met by 35 SAMS and a nice number drop, however, nothing helps against the weight of five full strength Allied Divisions as well as nearly 20 additional units.

Paratroops are being sent on suicide missions dropping in Keijo for the 2nd day in a row (and being wiped out). Masan sees a similar result--all dead. They are looking for unoccupied bases or litely held ones. Taikyu falls prior to troops reaching it so that is a problem.

Major Identified units: 31st ID, 2nd and 5th Marine IDs, and 1st Cavalry Div. There is another ID but I missed the number.

He is coming with the A team. You need tons of artillery and AA to stop him. It can be done, Obvert did it against Jocke but nothing will stop him from grabbing a few bases and building huge runways if he wishes to.

But you have a strong air force too, but brittle with 19 carriers away (and all those air groups). You might want to think about getting all those CVs back, park them somewhere safe, and use those Sams to protect Honshu....just a thought, I know it isn't how you like to play.

BTW, you can amass a pretty good Alpha strike flying nothing but kamikzes off those CVs and if you cap trap the Deathstar/Allied air prior, it is likely you can pull off an Alpha strike without retaliation. Park the Ikoma under 300 Franks for instance.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5649
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 3:03:55 PM   
John 3rd

Our Posting just crossed!

Note on the Ikoma idea. He has NO BOMBERS on his CVs. Only Fighters. Last count was just south of 2,000 flying CAP. That is no BS. I'll post the screenshot if you want....

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 11/12/2017 3:04:59 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5650
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 3:12:11 PM   
Simonsez

Why does he need bombers on his CV's? He's known where your carriers have been for the last year plus. Just one of the opportunity costs/benefits of your respective strategies.

Simonsez

It's a trap!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5651
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 3:48:52 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Dan claims that this will be decided 'within 2 months' of time. Find that hard to believe.

I doubt he is referring to the ground war.

The Moose

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5652
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 9:28:43 PM   
crsutton

The foothold in Korea is big as it puts his medium and light bombers in range of some major targets. In my previous campaign that put the nail in my opponents coffin. But he was out of supply and you seem to have reserves.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5653
RE: February 1945 - 11/12/2017 11:04:00 PM   
John 3rd

Not too much...but I do still have a fully functioning economy. This IS the final nail but we'll see what he plans to do.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5654
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 5:01:43 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I do think CR will turn the 2E's loose on the IJA in Korea first (Those open hexes to the north will be sooo tempting) .. before smashing the Home Islands ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5655
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 1:18:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I do think CR will turn the 2E's loose on the IJA in Korea first (Those open hexes to the north will be sooo tempting) .. before smashing the Home Islands ..

While CRs ability to cause significant carnage to the Korean defenders is not in question, application of large numbers of his 2E bombers could be an opportunity for interdiction. They are quite susceptible to mid-late war IJ fighters. Amidst the VP losses John is staring in the face, this would be an opportunity for at least some claw back.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5656
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 2:14:51 PM   
John 3rd

That is my hope...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5657
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 3:18:17 PM   
John 3rd

February 4, 1945

Scratch 10 PT and CL Astoria. Losses you ask? Two DDs...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5658
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 9:58:57 PM   
Crackaces

From a points standpoint .. good exchange .. I might propose meaningless in the big scheme of things. If Fusan gets cut off I might heed the thoughts of Lowpe and My discussion and pay very close attention to supply .. this turn .. a few clicks for sure and I might suggest a lot of thought

When the tide of supply from the home islands is cut and it is my understanding from a previous opponent that things get very “borked”. Maybe it was just that one game but every attack was -supply for the defense ..

You might think 10^100 AV, but the combat results come from firepower. High Av low firepower vs High firepower results in units not retreating because of “good” odds but suffering hundreds of squads destroyed and disabled to only get smacked until either retreat or eliminatation. This in open terrain.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5659
RE: February 1945 - 11/13/2017 11:24:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

"Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5660
RE: February 1945 - 11/14/2017 1:20:57 AM   
Bif1961

The Valiant rolling over and exploding following being torpedoed in the med by a Germany submarine, what won't they do to claim a British BB in the Pacific.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5661
RE: February 1945 - 11/14/2017 8:30:07 AM   
JohnnieX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

The Valiant rolling over and exploding following being torpedoed in the med by a Germany submarine, what won't they do to claim a British BB in the Pacific.

It is Barham (pronounced Barram). Valiant has the reconstructed superstructure and narrow funnel. Barham retains the forward rangefinder topped conning tower. Hard to spot when she is upside down and exploding.

The only QE to be sunk in either world war.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 5662
RE: February 1945 - 11/14/2017 1:43:06 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

"Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird...It's a Plane...

That short video really shows my current feelings...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5663
RE: February 1945 - 11/16/2017 8:42:03 PM   
Bif1961

Yes I was mistaken, dying British BBs all look alike.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5664
RE: February 1945 - 11/19/2017 3:13:35 PM   
John 3rd

Sorry for no Posting this week. I am sure Dan put in his AAR that I had to blaze out to Manhattan, KS to be with my Mother. She had to have immediate Surgery Tuesday and so I have been out there until last night. Prognosis is bad so I shall be making regular trips out and will install the game onto my business laptop so I can do AAR and Game Work.

Dan is gone today and tomorrow so I shall run the turn after church and Post any action.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 5665
RE: February 1945 - 11/19/2017 5:36:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Sorry for no Posting this week. I am sure Dan put in his AAR that I had to blaze out to Manhattan, KS to be with my Mother. She had to have immediate Surgery Tuesday and so I have been out there until last night. Prognosis is bad so I shall be making regular trips out and will install the game onto my business laptop so I can do AAR and Game Work.

Dan is gone today and tomorrow so I shall run the turn after church and Post any action.

Sorry to hear about your mother, mate. I've been doing my share of the 'drop everything and fly cross-country' elder parent jig lately too.

Obviously, your priorities are well-placed. The game, and your AAR readers, can wait.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5666
RE: Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side - 11/19/2017 5:44:32 PM   
Zecke

quote:

Choices...

Choices...

CHOICES....

I always make a bid to do something 'deep' within the Japanese Offensive. In my current game against Lew I have taken ALL of Australia. Where to go this time?

Options:
1. Normal John Expansion: Original Perimeter, plus SE down to New Caledonia, NW Australia, and Dutch Harbor west in the Aleutians.
2. SE Thrust: Drive to take everything including Pago Pago and Suva.
3. Southern Thrust: Take New Zealand
4. Australia
5. Left Hook into India: Take Calcutta and all of NE India
6. Heavy Left Hook: Above plus Ceylon
7. India
8. All out China Attack

Throw 4 out since I've done that. Taking all of India--to me--is impossible so probably throw that out. HATE land warfare in China and it is unrealistic for Japan to actually take all of China (through it can be done in the GAME).

This leaves 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 9.

Am open to thoughts and opinions.

Have at it!

EDIT: 9. Australia Medium: Bowen--Cloncurry--Tennant Creek Line

Not Bad¡...not bad...yes i kind of play like this plan...just for UNCOUMON VALOUR days¡

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5667
RE: Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side - 11/19/2017 10:38:09 PM   
John 3rd

My 13 year-old plays Uncommon Valor as he preps for AE.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 5668
RE: Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side - 11/19/2017 10:46:05 PM   
Zecke

quote:

My 13 year-old plays Uncommon Valor as he preps for AE.

Del Colorado tenias que ser (OF COLORADO YOU MUST BE)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5669
RE: February 1945 - 11/20/2017 11:41:27 AM   
Kitakami

quote:

Prayers and best wishes to you and yours.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5670
Page:   <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: February 1945 Page: <<   < prev  187 188 [189] 190 191   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI