Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 75 Units!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 75 Units! Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 75 Units! - 5/26/2013 12:02:45 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Yes: We have Stacking limits in place.

My question is WHERE does all the supply come from? If I get a chance after church tomorrow I will do a screen shot with units #s in the hexes.

I only play DaBigBabes mod but I have noticed something about supply in India. I did the math and its seems that around 40-45% of India's supply generation is concentrated in Calcutta and a few cities in its vicinity. If you halt the HI in remote parts of India (Lahore, Karachi, Bangalore) the the unused resources and fuel should flow to the Calcutta region. Thus, Calcutta should produce supplies on every single day instead of failing to produce, as it usually does. Couple that with shipping supplies from Colombo and developing bases limited by max draw from Rangpur to Kalemyo and you could probably create a decent supply line to Burma which is short as it basically starts in Calcutta.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 721
RE: 75 Units! - 5/26/2013 12:28:53 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Am tempted to look at moving to Soerabaja for repairs there. Not sure but worth thinking about some.

You might have something there. Have the AR hop to the next port and then have the CV follow one port at a time. You should have a few small ports along the way. If she picks up some more damage the hops are pretty short. It will take forever but you probably were not going to have her until 1944 anyway

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 722
RE: 75 Units! - 5/26/2013 4:02:17 PM   
John 3rd

Michael and I have spoken that Kalemyo isn't build up whatsoever. Imphal is a MAX AF. I still block the gates to Ramree. Just don't understand where all this comes from (through the jungle) to keep this massed force operating.

JohnD: The more I think about it the more I agree that Soerabaja is the route to go. You hit on most of the good salient points above.

Dan is gone for today and part of tomorrow. Will use the time to do more Posting and seek some good advice from the Readership.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 723
RE: 75 Units! - 5/26/2013 8:06:03 PM   
kjnoel

The answer is Akyab. I have found that running lots of supply into Akyab or Ramree easily keeps massive armies supplied in Burma, even in the monsoon. Sure, some of it heads back to India but enough heads inland so that he can keep his armies in combat.

Shut down his ability to use shipping for supply or the fight for northern and central Burma is lost, in that case retire gracefully to the treeline.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 724
A Flicker HERE... - 5/27/2013 6:06:52 PM   
John 3rd

October 9, 1942

Sometimes there is GOOD news in the Burma Theatre. About two weeks ago we managed to crush the 7th Aussie ID inflicting 4,000 casualties. This day sees the culmination of a 3 days fight north of Swebo.

Day ONE showed the 7th Indian ID and a Field Artie unit move into the Combat Command area of the 13th ID. A Deliberate Attack yielded 1-1 result with even casualties.

Day TWO sees the commitment of bombers by both sides with the Japanese getting the better of the bombing results. The SHOCK ATTACK that then follows by the 7th gets 1-2 (J: 45 Cas vs Allies 1010 Cas). HOPING Allied supply would be eghausted, I order a SHOCK ATTACK for the 9th.

Day THREE: Massive Airpower flows into the hot spot by both players. Japanese LR Tojo CAP makes the difference as 15 Tojo mangle 10 of 15 Blenheims and gets bits and pieces of 4 additional Allied 2EB Strikes. Allied airpower inflicts a little over 100 Japanese casualties. On the OTHER hand 9 Zeros and 45 Japanese Betty--Nell punch through causing nearly 200 casualties. The Assault goes in and yields (HOSANNA!) a 2-1 result driving the two units back towards Kalemyo. Results: Japan 159 Cas for 2,897 Indian and Brit Cas: 167 Squads, 25 Guns, and 53 Vehicles.

Think we can guess that we won't be hearing from the Indian 7th ID for while!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 725
RE: A Flicker HERE... - 5/27/2013 6:14:02 PM   
Chickenboy

Good. The open terrain that he's in can be as much of a bog for his forces as yours. What's your defense looking like further back in the forested defensive terrain?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 726
RE: A Flicker HERE... - 5/27/2013 6:18:56 PM   
John 3rd

Where at Sir?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 727
Burma OOB - 5/27/2013 6:37:10 PM   
John 3rd

Here are the KNOWN Allied units, position, and location currently. Will follow with the same for Japan:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 728
Burma OOB - 5/27/2013 6:45:38 PM   
John 3rd

Here is Japan:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 729
RE: Burma OOB - 5/27/2013 7:26:23 PM   
John 3rd

OK. I am attempting to do the following:

1. Northern Plains: The defeat of the 7th Indian ID helps a bunch. I want to simply hold here. Cannot dislodge the troops on the rail line going to katha. Tried that with a pair of ID and it was a non-starter. Am simply holding Katha and Ledo for as long as possible to deny them to the enemy.

2. The hex NW of Magwe is only held by a Brigade and an AA unit. Am sending 48th directly across the river. The attack is already being aided by Helen and Sally. GOAL: Drive the enemy back into the jungle, wreck the Brigade, and then cut into the 42nd ID and 3 Brigades south of there.

3. If you notice the 6th Aussie ID is getting ready to cross into the hex between Mandalay and Meiktila. I WANT him to do that. The 3 TK Reg, Inf Reg, and 2nd TK Div will then move in and force a retreat across the river.

4. The 42nd ID and 3 Brigades are currently stalled in their drive south. The 59th ID and 3 TK will be holding them for the near future. If Dan tries to cut in behind from the jungle then the 16th ID will be there to wreck some havoc. If the 48th's crossing forces a retreat then I shall move the 48th and 16th IDs into the hex with the 42nd US and try to force a retreat there.

These are the current operations. If we catch just a bit of luck then we might be able to clear the western side of the Irrawaddy.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 730
RE: Burma OOB - 5/27/2013 7:56:22 PM   
zuluhour

Looks like the para formation may be able to cross the Irrawaddy south undetected and cut the road to Lashio? Recon dot hex SW of Allied unit 92mi to the east?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 731
RE: Burma OOB - 5/27/2013 9:44:42 PM   
GreyJoy

IMHO you should try to drive them back to the jungle, using your superior air power (untill you have it!) and then move your units to those same jungle hex, dig in and try to hold him back. Won't be optimal because you won't control those jungle hexes and so he will be free to move in a diagonal way, but at least you can hold him back for a while...

However i do agree with the others and suggets you, while you do the above, to start prepping ASAP a defensive line in the jungle south of Mandalay...

One more thing:send immediately something to Taung Gyi...you don't want to have a chindit Bde conquer it and create another front from lashio to Taung Gyi right in your back. use a THAI division or something like that, but cover it!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 732
RE: A Flicker HERE... - 5/27/2013 10:02:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Where at Sir?

The Toungoo to Taung Yi LOD salient is the most typically identified by Japanese players. Getting those base forts and airfields built will help your defensive battle.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 733
RE: A Flicker HERE... - 5/28/2013 5:57:32 AM   
John 3rd

Thanks Chickenboy. I am digging as fast as possible at all bases moving as far south as Thailand and northern Malaya. Good thoughts there.

GreyJoy: Much appreciated comments there as well. It has been a nightmare of mine to see troops advancing in from the east. If I can pop him back into the jungle, I shall pull some troops and move towards Lashio. Have tried that twice but had to change plans by reacting the Dan's movements. Taung Gyi is kind of a forgotten base and needs an immediate change in its occupancy. GREAT thought there. Will fix ASAP.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 734
...and a Glimmer there. - 5/28/2013 6:59:37 AM   
John 3rd

October 10, 1942

Good day in Burma.

The 48th ID makes its assault crossing of the Irrawaddy while the 5th British Brigade is pounded by 31 Fighters and 68 Bombers who arrive totally unmolested. The highly experienced ID makes short work of the British and drives them to the jungle scoring a delightful 101-1 tally. Japan loses 242 men to nearly 1,100 Allies (81 Squads, 62 Guns, and 18 Vehicles.

56-47
Massive aerial battles occur over these troops today. The Japanese have roughly two dozen Fighters flying CAP over the troops and these engage successive waves of Allied bombers while--at the same time--protecting 58 Bombers who drop their loads on the 42nd ID and 14th British Brig. The Allies throw in EIGHT Bombing attacks that prove to be rather costly as they have no fighter protection. The first four waves are met with stout Fighters attacks and the last four make it through to drop their loads fairly safely. Casualties end up being roughly the same for both sides.

The Allied Deliberate Attack scores a 1-2 (43--53) with the Japanese losing 380 Cas and 27 Vehicles to the Allied 807 Cas.

Next turn shall see a full strength TK Reg move into the hex and buttress the position.

16th ID is two days from crossing the river and entering the hex south of 56,47 (where the TK Reg is presently).

North of Shwebo
A unit enters the hex where we just drove the 7th Indian ID out of. Wil see what it is and then try to hold it off.

PLANNING:
1. Dan crosses the river between Mandalay and Magwe with a Brigade. It can do whatever it wants for the moment. I'll crush it when 2nd Tanks arrives at Magwe tomorrow.

2. Have the 33rd ID moving towards crossing the river west of Shwebo but have no intention of doing so. Have the ID doing this so Dan THINKS I am and it keeps 6th Aussie ID in place where I want it to stay.

3. The 48th turns due south for the American 42nd and the 3 Brit--East Africane Brigades. Place Fighters on CAP here so the movement is quick. The 48th should provide enough firepower (if things don't change) to BLAST those 4 units back into the jungle.

We shall then turn and deal with the Aussies up north.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 735
...and a Glimmer there. - 5/28/2013 7:04:42 AM   
John 3rd

Also on the 10th, BBs Nagato and Mutsu plus two new CVEs and 3 Dds raise anchor and head for Singapore. This shall raise Singapore's Fleet to the 6 old BBs and 6 CVEs. Intend to use it for forays in either:

1. The IO or
2. If Dan decides to move up around Geraldton or come around Horn Island

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 736
October 11, 1942 - 5/29/2013 7:19:21 AM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
October 11, 1942

A Regional Report follows:

North Pacific
There is some shipping activity between Anchorage, Kodiak, and Seward. Sortie my Northern Force of 1 CA, 2 CL, and 6 DDs. If possible they shall raid one or two of these Ports to cause some trouble.

If there is no sign of Allied activity, I shall begin pulling 200 aircraft from the Aleutians (leaving about 100 planes) and send them south. Additionally, I have two Regiment-Sized units that will get pulled plus about 8-10 small Engineering and BF LCUs. They will all move south to CENPAC or SOPAC.

Central Pacific
Very quiet. Had a large supply convoy arrive at Kwajalein and divided it to move on to 4-5 ports to bolster those bases.

South Pacific
Lots of movement here.

1. TROOPS: The 4th ID (from Cocos) is two days from Port Moresby. Once it unloads, I am ready for whatever might come. Horn, PM, and Milne shall have ID as well as Munda. Tagula has been reinforced with an SNLF Assault Brigade so it is in better shape as well.

2. AIRCRAFT: Rabaul, Lae, Lunga, and PM are filling with planes. Trying to keep most of it 'hidden' at Lae, Lunga, and Rabaul.

3. FLEET: Got 8 SS repairing minor damage in Rabaul presently. They will sortie in about 5-7 days and fill the sea around NE Australia. Dan knows KB is at Rabaul. Am going to move it to Tulagi along with all my AOs. Sortie the AOs today and the Fleet tomorrow. Valuable reinforcements are 10 days away in the form of two new Tone-Kai CAs and 4 DDs. Would like to wait and get them before a Fleet action.

4. SUPPLY: Two major convoys bringing in over 100,000 supply split apart and begin delivering their goods.

JUNYO sits disbanded at Gasmata. The 4th Fleet HQ is unloading here presently to help with it rescue. An AR is already helping. Flotation is coming down (currently 62). Will keep the ship here until all but the major damage is repaired and then we shall send the CV with 4 DDs along the north coast of New Guinea heading for Soerabaja. Her aircraft have been picked up and are now reforming at Lae.

Australia
Dan is finally working at driving out my fragments of a TF Reg and SNLF unit from NE Australia. Working on getting these small units to Portland Roads so they can be lifted out.

Construction work begins at Gove on an AF. The base next to it shall be next.

DEI--Phil
Very calm with lots of shipping moving about.

China
Moving troops around after the surprise victory at Changteh. Not quite sure where I shall go next but I will keep up the pressure.

Burma
Have a glimmer of, dare I say, HOPE here presently.

In the north, the unit that entered 60,44 (North of Shwebo) is ID'd as just a Towed TK Destroyer Bn. Order the Combat Command of 12th ID to drive it out. Bombers and Fighters are tasked with helping this happen. Hopefully nothing else enters the hex next turn.

Ramree flies no CAP today and it is smacked by 50+ bombers.

The 6th Aussie ID appears to be moving south (from 57,45) to the hex just cleared by 48th ID. Cannot happen yet. Will bomb it each day to slow the movement so I can destroy the Brigade that just crossed the Irrawaddy. The 2nd TK arrives at Magwe and immediately moves to engage this Brigade. The 48th makes 11 good miles towards the US 42nd and 3 Brit Brigades. If Dan does not try to slow its march, I predict those units will have a VERY hard day on or about the 15th.

Have been having moderate success tagging his 2EB over the last week or so. The Blenheims seem most vulnerable but the B-25/B-26 get hit as well. He has also been using Vengeance Bombers. Don't know this aircraft but it does appear to die fairly easily.

Economy
We spoke about the economy a while back and people were appalled at my HI total for June 1st. Am proud to say my pool just climbed over 500,000 and am shooting for 750,000 by New Year's Day.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/29/2013 7:56:59 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 737
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/29/2013 11:49:29 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

He has also been using Vengeance Bombers. Don't know this aircraft but it does appear to die fairly easily.

Its a DB and they come in with a good replacement rate. So, I would expect to see them more often.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 738
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/29/2013 8:39:27 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

He has also been using Vengeance Bombers. Don't know this aircraft but it does appear to die fairly easily.

It's a single-engine dive bomber. The Brits liked them for their accuracy, but they didn't have much in the way of defensive armament.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 739
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 12:53:41 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

It's a single-engine dive bomber. The Brits liked them for their accuracy, but they didn't have much in the way of defensive armament.

Built in Tennessee but considered obsolete and inferior by the Army air force so it was palmed off on the Allies. Not a very good plane. In game terms it only carried 500 lb bombs which also makes it inferior. I found it to be pretty useless and replaced it as soon as I could. I still have 200 in my pools in 1945. That plus my useless whirraways and boomerangs constitute my troika of the inane..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 740
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 4:03:43 AM   
zuluhour

No doubt CR, but I did find the aircraft highly useful against the IJA in northern Burma after there was some parity in the air superiority dept..I'm not sure but I like to think the Lysanders operating out of Imphal on random recon (for the most part) allowed some very effective raids on IJA units north of Mandalay in the jungles. It was really fun when the IJA was trying to retreat out of the jungle after cloasing the fields in the central plains. As RAF CnC I would hold on to these for those "special" occasions.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 741
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 5:44:49 AM   
artuitus_slith

There is a use for every aircraft, just have to find its niche. Wirrarways are great for training bomber pilots, but also make good ASW planes in the right spots, such as between Tasmania and Melbourne or the Torres Straight area. Even a 100lb bomb hit on a sub is bad news for the sub.

Any older obsolete aircraft or lightly armed (read RAF) bomber is a liability in the face of strong fighter defense, but once Air superiority has been achieved they can be effective. Personally I treat the Brit bombers much like the first generation Japanese bombers, hit where the enemy's fighter strength is weak or accept high losses (preferably for higher rewards).

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 742
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 7:33:23 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

quote:

Built in Tennessee but considered obsolete and inferior by the Army air force so it was palmed off on the Allies. Not a very good plane. In game terms it only carried 500 lb bombs which also makes it inferior. I found it to be pretty useless and replaced it as soon as I could. I still have 200 in my pools in 1945. That plus my useless whirraways and boomerangs constitute my troika of the inane..

The Empire would gladly take some! A lot better than a Sonia!

It goes 273, so slow, but carries 2 x 500 and 2 x 250 pound bombs out to 5 hexes, 2 x 500 out to 6 hexes. Not too bad for coastal defense along the IO, some work against troops in the open in Burma. It has armor, which no IJ DB has ever!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 743
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 10:38:29 AM   
GreyJoy

Yes, I agree here. They will fall like flies if opposed, but so will every DB in front of Japanese fighters. But it still carries a decent bombload. Can be usefull in ASW roles but also in Burma when you achieve a decent air superiority.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 744
Closing In - 5/30/2013 1:00:23 PM   
John 3rd

Hello All.

I think a discussion on oddball planes and their potential uses is great. Remember one on Japanese Marys and Idas just a while back. Mighty useful.

We're at 14 OCT 42 and the 48th will arrive at its hex to attack the 41st US and those other Brigades. I Open the next three days at the store so we're only getting in a single turn each day. Will Post on events tonight when I can.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 745
RE: October 11, 1942 - 5/30/2013 7:24:17 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

quote:

The Empire would gladly take some! A lot better than a Sonia!

It goes 273, so slow, but carries 2 x 500 and 2 x 250 pound bombs out to 5 hexes, 2 x 500 out to 6 hexes. Not too bad for coastal defense along the IO, some work against troops in the open in Burma. It has armor, which no IJ DB has ever!

Yep, don't get me wrong. They were plenty useful until better planes came along. Beggars cannot be choosers. But now I have pools full of whirraways, boomerangs, and the DB with little use for them. And, most amazing is that Australia is still producing the Anson and will continue to do so until Japan surrenders. Pretty little plane and useful in a training group but I got over 200 of them now......I would be much happier if I could convert that factory to something more useful to the war effort. Perhaps ice makers....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 746
RE: 75 Units! - 5/30/2013 9:33:16 PM   
inqistor

quote:

October 7, 1942

I just did a mouse-over of the Burma Theatre from Akyab south and from Katha south. I counted---can you believe this???--SEVENTY-FIVE Allied Units!

This is late 1942, and he have 75 units in Burma? So what he have left in India? You need to control, like 5 hexes to cut whole front.

How is he going to stop you from landing on whole coast behind his lines?

quote:

Yeah, it seems to be only Allied plane, which die like flies from AA fire.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 747
RE: 75 Units! - 6/2/2013 4:32:07 AM   
zuluhour

John, great AAR, easy to follow. I could not help but read the opposing one as well so I can only post "trivia". But I can say I am following IJ AARs for the obvious reason. Learn the other side so I can give that a whirl someday. So, with that said, What happened in Burma???????

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 748
RE: 75 Units! - 6/2/2013 3:21:03 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks Zulu. Yes: I have read the dark side as well. Truly do learn things.

Had a terrible couple of days at work doing 38 in 4 days with a 5th yet to go. Probably a 48-50 hour week going on...

Did no turn yesterday or the day before. Apologized to Dan about that.

Got one in today with, hopefully, two more this afternoon.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 749
Oct 17. 1042 - 6/2/2013 3:32:31 PM   
John 3rd

The 48th staggers into hex 56,47 on October 15th after being subjected to repeated attacks as it moved into the hex. Yesterday and today has seen the 48th rest and disruption has come down below 40%. Order a Shock Attack for the 18th. The delight here has been Dan's fixation on the 48th has allowed me to bring the 16th ID at near full strength. IF we drive the enemy back with the 59th and 48th then that is great. If not, we shall win the hex the day after when 16th enters the hex.

The Allies are in hot pursuit from the hex to the north. Four units are TRYING to get into 56,47 but are getting hit by airpower to slow them down.

Must do a detailed entry due to his opening up several hexes that I shall move into to add pressure to the west side of the Irrawaddy. Also look to open the road to Katha and Ledo.

The real story here is the air battle over 56,47 this day. The day begins with 36 Zero (lower Altitudes) and 47 Tojo (high Altitude). After reading Greyjoy's AAR I change my LRCAP to add Sweeping as well so all planes get into the act. HOLY COW it works today! A total of 16 air attacks occur between the Allies and Japanese forces. In short, the Allied Forces are massacred! We finally get into the Allied Bombers inflicting solid losses on those damned B-25s. He must have about 100 in theatre now. It is an excellent day where SIXTY-FOUR Allied planes go down to 32 Japanese (16 of those to Op Losses). Japan only loses 6 pilots for the day.

Thank YOU Greyjoy!

Here is a screen shot of the first aerial contest of the morning:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/2/2013 3:35:09 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 75 Units! Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI