Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wow.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wow. Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wow. - 6/26/2013 9:03:35 AM   
obvert

quote:

2. He has brought EVERYTHING. Add at least two more American ID to the ground forces as well as smaller Inf units (Marine Def Bn for example and TK units). I think what Dan is trying to do is somewhat gamey of where he sends abunch of Invasion Forces to various targets, begins landing, sees what is there, and then decides to bring in more or not. Important note: Nearly everything is not prepped whatsoever! He has landed a full Inf Div at Sibolga and they have an Assault Value of ZERO. That won't last long though. Am holding fairly well along the east coast where I still have Langsha, Medan, and Tand???. Problem is that Tand??? has got lots of HQ and Support units but next to no infantry.

From your perspective this has to be incredibly frustrating, but it is quite late and your defenses here were simply not ready.

Raider forces and small units sent to assess what you have is perfectly acceptable. I know you're in the heat of the battle here, but you know Dan well and there is nothing he's doing here that is even close to being an unfair use of his forces. If those small units can take the base so his unprepped forces can move in I'd call that a brilliant move. If you had a brigade on each of those outer Sumatra bases with forts 5-6 then you wouldn't be having this issue. You'd love those small units getting wiped out as they land.

This is all looking quite bad, but I admire your pluck for the fortitude you're showing to get after him here. Make sure you hold nothing back. This is the decisive battle. If he gains the foothold and keeps it your oil is gone. If you push him out he is hurting badly. This is all or nothing. Good luck!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 1021
RE: ...down to Singapore - 6/26/2013 9:18:22 AM   
MrBlizzard

IMO He knows you'll soon retake back some bases in Malasya and east cost of Sumatra so he is developing other bases more difficoult to retake 'cause they're islands and you're forced to landings, so huge time to preparing. When developed, and allies has a lot of engineers, he can mount an air offensive vs. your main oilfields.
Your opponent is a very good one, you're facing a great challenge here!
IMO you can bring here more airpower from other theathers for some weeks, I don't think he is ready for another push before moving back his CVs. By the way, where are his CVs? I couldn't see them in your last pics.
Let's hit hard John!!

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 6/26/2013 9:20:03 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1022
RE: Wow. - 6/26/2013 9:27:52 AM   
MrBlizzard

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

2. He has brought EVERYTHING. Add at least two more American ID to the ground forces as well as smaller Inf units (Marine Def Bn for example and TK units). I think what Dan is trying to do is somewhat gamey of where he sends abunch of Invasion Forces to various targets, begins landing, sees what is there, and then decides to bring in more or not. Important note: Nearly everything is not prepped whatsoever! He has landed a full Inf Div at Sibolga and they have an Assault Value of ZERO. That won't last long though. Am holding fairly well along the east coast where I still have Langsha, Medan, and Tand???. Problem is that Tand??? has got lots of HQ and Support units but next to no infantry.

From your perspective this has to be incredibly frustrating, but it is quite late and your defenses here were simply not ready.

Raider forces and small units sent to assess what you have is perfectly acceptable. I know you're in the heat of the battle here, but you know Dan well and there is nothing he's doing here that is even close to being an unfair use of his forces. If those small units can take the base so his unprepped forces can move in I'd call that a brilliant move. If you had a brigade on each of those outer Sumatra bases with forts 5-6 then you wouldn't be having this issue. You'd love those small units getting wiped out as they land.

This is all looking quite bad, but I admire your pluck for the fortitude you're showing to get after him here. Make sure you hold nothing back. This is the decisive battle. If he gains the foothold and keeps it your oil is gone. If you push him out he is hurting badly. This is all or nothing. Good luck!

Completely agree with Obvert,
Don't hesitate bring everything here,
Even if this costs you some useless islands in South Pacific it is worth of. Here is vital, elsewhere not.
Good fight, I'm optimistic

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1023
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:29:18 AM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

2. He has brought EVERYTHING. Add at least two more American ID to the ground forces as well as smaller Inf units (Marine Def Bn for example and TK units). I think what Dan is trying to do is somewhat gamey of where he sends abunch of Invasion Forces to various targets, begins landing, sees what is there, and then decides to bring in more or not.

Gamey?

Didn't you just employ para fragments to capture Lord Howe Is. and Norfolk Is.?

quote:

Got to thinking that there are THREE Raiding Regiments in Burma currently. Perhaps some nicely done parachute troops might cause a bit of chaos in the Rear of the Allies???

And did you consider to drop whole regiments to cause chaos in Assam?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1024
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 12:28:30 PM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Re: Paladin

I keep seeing JFBs saying "this is a war winner for the AFBs" but I have to ask, what if this is a massive recon-in-force, aimed at hitting with enough power that you're forced to respond, but is not actually his main thrust?

I mean, what forces have you ACTUALLY seen land?

quote:

Sumatra
ALLIED LANDINGS:
THIRTEEN TF land at Sabang this turn. Major units: SW Pacific HQ, 27th ID, 18th Brit ID, and 1st Marine Div. Numerous Base Forces and Engineers.

If he has committed Engineers and Base Forces, this ain't no feint.
I actually agree with you that this isn't a feint, in the traditional sense. What I suspect is that there's another invasion planned to go active somewhere, such as NG, once the KB is committed to this Sumatra invasion. After all, the key to a successful Allied war is to keep the JFB from being able to stockpile his fuel reserves and preserve the KB.

By landing at Sumatra like he's done, Dan has actually created a serious threat to Japan's fuel supply, which the KB must respond too. If he also has another invasion planned elsewhere, he forces John into the position of deciding to either try to repel that second invasion with SCTF and LBA, or to split the KB to deal with the threat. Splitting the KB is a sure way to lose part of it, so John's forced to defend with SCTFs and LBA, which may not be enough to stop a force from making it to the beach.

In other words, I expect to hear any time now that the NG "feint" was a real invasion force after all and is headed for PM.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1025
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 8:30:15 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Splitting the KB is a sure way to lose part of it, so John's forced to defend with SCTFs and LBA, which may not be enough to stop a force from making it to the beach.

In other words, I expect to hear any time now that the NG "feint" was a real invasion force after all and is headed for PM.

If my reading of the forces available in November 1942 is correct, the Allies simply do not have enough left over for a sustainable landing in New Guinea. True, they might get past the LBA after taking losses, but they could not deliver the necessary reinforcements to hold out against an IJA counter-thrust.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 1026
RE: ...down to Singapore - 6/26/2013 10:48:08 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

IMO He knows you'll soon retake back some bases in Malasya and east cost of Sumatra so he is developing other bases more difficoult to retake 'cause they're islands and you're forced to landings, so huge time to preparing. When developed, and allies has a lot of engineers, he can mount an air offensive vs. your main oilfields.
Your opponent is a very good one, you're facing a great challenge here!
IMO you can bring here more airpower from other theathers for some weeks, I don't think he is ready for another push before moving back his CVs. By the way, where are his CVs? I couldn't see them in your last pics.
Let's hit hard John!!

I am strongly considering taking those islands back on the west coast of Sumatra FIRST. Might truly surprise him.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 1027
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 10:48:48 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen

quote:

2. He has brought EVERYTHING. Add at least two more American ID to the ground forces as well as smaller Inf units (Marine Def Bn for example and TK units). I think what Dan is trying to do is somewhat gamey of where he sends abunch of Invasion Forces to various targets, begins landing, sees what is there, and then decides to bring in more or not.

Gamey?

Didn't you just employ para fragments to capture Lord Howe Is. and Norfolk Is.?

quote:

Got to thinking that there are THREE Raiding Regiments in Burma currently. Perhaps some nicely done parachute troops might cause a bit of chaos in the Rear of the Allies???

And did you consider to drop whole regiments to cause chaos in Assam?

Guilty! I stand completely corrected on this point.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/26/2013 10:49:21 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 1028
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 10:51:46 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Splitting the KB is a sure way to lose part of it, so John's forced to defend with SCTFs and LBA, which may not be enough to stop a force from making it to the beach.

If my reading of the forces available in November 1942 is correct, the Allies simply do not have enough left over for a sustainable landing in New Guinea. True, they might get past the LBA after taking losses, but they could not deliver the necessary reinforcements to hold out against an IJA counter-thrust.

Identified Units:
Sumatra: 3 US ID, 18th Brit ID, and 1st marine Div plus lots of smaller CD, Defence Bn, and TK units.
Burma: 6th and 7th Aussie ID, 41st US ID, and a number of TK Marine and US Army TK units.

What else is LEFT??

If he does come up towards New Guinea he will get one heck of a bloody nose! I've moved but not EVERYTHING. There are still some...shall I say...suprises...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1029
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 10:54:05 PM   
John 3rd

Home for a few minutes. Worked 6am-4pm and am headed back for another couple of hours. Turn to be done at that point.

On the subject of the Paras, I have three full strength Raiding Units (AV 40 or so) that can be used. Options:
1. Drop them in Eastern India as was the original pan to cause chaos and make HIM REACT.
2. Use them to take back the western bases and island bases that he is grabbing with just Base Forces and Engineer units.

Thoughts? BETTER Ideas???

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1030
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:10:37 PM   
pws1225

What would drops in India gain you if he's feeding Sumatra via sea routes? Nothing more than a minor irritation to Dan IMHO. Maybe using them at Siberoet (or whatever that island's name is that can grow to a sizeable air field) makes sense. Just keep your eye on the prize: preserve your LOCs in SE Asia and drive Dan out of Sumatra if you can. Think a week or two or four down the road and where you'd like to be then, then pick the route that maximizes your chances of getting there. You wield a rapier, not an axe. Use it as it was intended.

Best regards, Paul

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 6/26/2013 11:12:07 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1031
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:24:35 PM   
BigBadWolf

Yep, no point in wasting paras on India.

What does he has left in Australia and more importantly, what do you have there?

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1032
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:43:12 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Protect rail line!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1033
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:50:42 PM   
kjnoel

If it doesn't help your position in Sumatra why do it? Ceylon is key to resupply in Sumatra.... Sumatra is key to bases in Sumatra.... why consider para drops in India? Don't ask yourself what would cause trouble, ask yourself what will cause CR to worry about Sumatra. I think a para attack in India would make him breathe a sigh of relief that you haven't used them anywhere he cares about.

I could also have said +1 to pws1225 and BigBadWolf but hey....

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1034
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:56:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Assume you lose Medan. Assume, worst case, you lose PBang, or it's wrecked in the fighting. What is your fuel budget on 6/1/43?

You have a sucking chest wound and you're talking about acne treatments.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/26/2013 11:57:59 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1035
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/26/2013 11:59:17 PM   
pws1225

quote:

Protect rail line!

Mr. Dillworth can read a map!

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1036
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 12:00:24 AM   
pws1225

quote:

You have a sucking chest wound and you're talking about acne treatments.

Mr. Moose can read a game!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1037
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 12:29:18 AM   
PaxMondo

I'm a weirdo. THis is an opportunity to take at least one Marine ID and one Brit ID out of the game for a long time. Marine replacement rates means about a year, Brit replacements maybe 2 years or more.

I would look at what I would trade to 'kill' these units, and that is a long list. PM, NG, solomons ... pfft. No question, YES. KB? No. Marshalls? yes. Kuriles? No. Burma? Yes. Malay/Thai? No. +2000 LBA ac? Yes. You need to finish this list, but I think you see where I'm going. I can scare up +6 ID's at least ... and a lot of support forces.

Now I know what units I can pull and bring here, and I know that I can bring far more than he can in Nov 42. Bring it all. No half measures here. The BIG hammer.

Your goals:
1. Annihilate the LCU's he has committed. No survivors. I want those units off the board for a long time.
2. See if he will commit his CV's into LBA range to attempt to extract any of these units. If he does, I want to greet him with +1000LBA attack BEFORE the KB joins in.

As someone else noted above, I'd have every single xAP and xAK hauling every unit I can find to this fight from all the locations above I said "YES" to. He's offering up enough troops for me to give up those other areas if I have to. Allied replacements are free, but they are limited. I can curtail his 'feistiness' in '43 right now as he won't have enough LCU's until '44. And maybe he will get desparate in the face of losses to make a mistake and commit his CV's. Not likely, but battles are won and lost on little mistakes ...

Pax

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1038
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 12:30:36 AM   
pws1225

quote:

Home for a few minutes. Worked 6am-4pm and am headed back for another couple of hours. Turn to be done at that point.

Hey John, no worries about flipping turns at this juncture. Take your time. Consider ALL your options. Seek wise counsel. A weekend in the mountains might bring inspiration on how to react to Dan's aggression. Turns flipped after a gazillion hours at work would not be good. All us dweebs out here watching can wait, as can Dan. In fact, if you call a temporary pause in turn flipping to consider your options, think how the Southern Gentleman from Georgia will respond. He'll just go hiking/camping in Georgia hill country, get poison ivy on his butt from sitting on a log, and be totally distracted in the subsequant turns. Think about it as an application of Nemo's meta-game ideas. Instead of getting into Dan's head, you can get into his butt.

Best regards, Paul

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1039
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 12:47:28 AM   
desicat

This battle looks like it may take a while. If you can spare the units I would land on the Great Nicobar Island and get an airbase going. That will cause him to react to you.

Not a game changer but something he has to consider - and a window into the open Ocean.

< Message edited by desicat -- 6/27/2013 12:50:01 AM >

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1040
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 1:18:10 AM   
JohnDillworth

John, not familiar with this mod. I know in some mods the Empire can out-produce the Allies at least 5-1 in aircraft. Based on your economy is this the case here? I ask because an aircraft attrition battle might be to your advantage. Right now your strengths are the KB and probably aircraft production. Not so sure you can win a battle of attrition if it is based on land units, supply or surface combat. Thinking medium to long term here

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 1041
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 1:33:12 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: desicat

This battle looks like it may take a while. If you can spare the units I would land on the Great Nicobar Island and get an airbase going. That will cause him to react to you.

Not a game changer but something he has to consider - and a window into the open Ocean.

Not piling on you, but all this talk about "must react", poke here, build there, fiddle, fiddle.

This Allied operation is nothing less than an existential threat to Japan. It will win the war for the Allies if not refused. The strategic table CR has already built in interlocking air fields is too large for cursory bombing. This situation will not be resolved with Japan's security blanket--unlimited airplanes. Or the KB, the other wubbie. The water around Sumatra is the worst on the map for carrier ops. Two straits--Sunda and Malacca--are easily controlled by a defender and one or the other must be run to get to where Japan needs to be. Running the KB through a shallow-water minefield in either is probably not a good idea.

So IMO, let the KB go. Let sweeps go. Let AF bombing go. Sumatra needs two things to survive for Japan--troops, and negative supply flows for the Allies. Troops are easy--bring them in through secure lines to the south. Secure Palembang absolutely first. Use the roads up the western side to deploy.

Allied supply can come from three directions. India, CT, or Perth. Each of those problems is a naval problem. Terminal interception with Malaysia LBA alone will let too much through, and supply is the sine qua non for the Allies here. There is no good supply generator in bases CR has taken so far. It has to ship in. Naval actions in the IO must focus on supply denial, not carrier hunting or anything "sexy." Sink merchants and Japan has a chance. To that end any and all actions needed to get the Japanese fleet into the IO must be undertaken at any cost. Get into honor battles and Japan has lost its oil base and the war. It's that simple.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/27/2013 1:34:13 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 1042
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 1:54:01 AM   
John 3rd

Damn...you guys GO!

You are already running where I intend to go.

The entire Paratroop question was where they WERE intended to go. Using them in Sumatra makes excellent sense. They have already shifted to Strategic Mode and are RRing down to Rangoon.

INTERDICTION:
1. SUMATRA: Air Divisions/Flotillas (is all goes well this turn) are now at Port Blair, Victoria Point, Oosthaven, and Cocos. I have the 9th Air Fleet at Rangoon and would love to figure a way to get it to Tand??? or Georgetown. These units will provide enough Oomph to be decisively engaged in Sumatra with Allied LBA and shipping. Where possible we shall advance these units when able.
2. AUST--SUM: In two days I shall have two STF of 2CA, 1 CL, and 3 DD each hunting TF. Additionally, I will add the Mini-KB with a split of 3 CVE, a CL, and 5 DD in two TF to SINK Ships. This should slam the door on that angle.
3. With Emily Flying from Cocos, Pt. Blair, and Benkoelen I SHOULD be able to follow the CVs. Based on that I will deploy KB when it arrives on scene.

CONCUR with everyone regarding the chance to CRUSH Allied units. It is an opportunity not to be denied.

GROUND:
1. Reinforce Palembang and Tand???
2. Destroy anything ashore in Malaya. This an opportunity to use the THAI units it looks like. They are already deploying to hold essential bases.
3. Those islands near Malaya (Pluket and Langkari) are USELESS to Dan. He won't be able to keep them supplied and building them up with take forever. Will sink the ships running to them and leave them alone initially.
4. Just landed a full Brigade (4th Mixed) at Benkoelen. With Sz-4 Forts I will keep this base. Will move up the Outer Islands to create some pressure and make him move to me.
5. Good idea on those islands SW of Port Blair. Will look to see what might be done to start work there.

IDs:
10th will work its way to Tand???.
2nd will move to Benkoelen then move northwards. If I still control anything up that side will start from there.
14th will head for Tand??? as well and move north towards Medan and then Langsha.
Am airlifting the 4th and 56th ID to conflict points but will then seek to find a way to get them in the action fully.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 1043
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 1:54:49 AM   
desicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Not piling on you, but all this talk about "must react", poke here, build there, fiddle, fiddle.

Moose, I don't think you are getting my point. The small amount of effort to get Nicobar up and running would (nor should it) not take away from the main effort to eject CR from Sumatra, but the (potential) airbases strategic location to see and strike behind Sabang is something CR will not ignore. It lays closer to his supply line and closes some of the the blind spots between Sumatra and Ceylon. Anything that narrows the Allied maneuver area for the KB is a good thing. I agree that the decision will be made on the ground here but the KB will play a part in the decision.

This battle is going to take a long time and anything that increases the LBA envelope will prove to be beneficial. If CR wins at Sumatra then Nicobar is a side show, if John wins then it will prove to be a huge asset while the contest hangs in the balance.

Post #: 1044
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 2:07:32 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

On the subject of the Paras, I have three full strength Raiding Units (AV 40 or so) that can be used. Options:
1. Drop them in Eastern India as was the original pan to cause chaos and make HIM REACT.

Good heavens, no! Why would you want to squander your valuable paras in this manner? They can be put to much better use as a rapid deployment group to quickly stem the bleeding from yet another Allied incursion. Alternatively, they can assist with an attack on CR's forces-supplementing the ground LCU's attack. You don't have to apologize for the "para bonus" here, John. Just understand how to use it-just as CR would do, given the opportunity.

quote:

2. Use them to take back the western bases and island bases that he is grabbing with just Base Forces and Engineer units.

Well, that's a better idea than the first. If you could time this for when his ships exfiltrate, that would be the greatest opportunity. Poorly defended Allied bases that lose their lifeline (and are chock-a-bloc full of delicious supply) whilest running from KB would mark an excellent timeframe for exploitation.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1045
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 2:20:41 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

2. Destroy anything ashore in Malaya. This an opportunity to use the THAI units it looks like. They are already deploying to hold essential bases.

Thai infantry are amongst the poorest on the map. Don't put too much credence on them-they'll buckle at the first real challenge. They are also very poor in engineers-it will take them too long to dig by themselves. Get 'em some help.

quote:

3. Those islands near Malaya (Pluket and Langkari) are USELESS to Dan. He won't be able to keep them supplied and building them up with take forever. Will sink the ships running to them and leave them alone initially.

Do you really think that having to size 8 AF islands immediately off of the Malay peninsula is useless? Allied engineers will build these up within a couple months. Then DBs from there will range across the Malay peninsula and threaten Bangkok and parts south.

I disagree fundamentally with the disregard you are showing these islands. Something that close to the Malay peninsula (barge assault anyone?) cannot be taken lightly.

quote:

make him move to me.

And what if he doesn't? Eventually, you're going to have to (after holding what's left of Sumatra) dig him out like a bloated tick. You won't do that by being sedentary and waiting for him to move to you. Short term-yes, build your perimeter's strength. Intermediate term-you're going to have to go and get him.

John, what is your engineer and AV support status on Sumatra, Malaya and surrounds? What is the range of your air HQs in theatre?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1046
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 2:30:25 AM   
Chickenboy

John,

I don't always agree with Bullwinkle on everything here on the boards, but he's got this one pegged. Existential threat? Check! Interdict supply and support shipping? Check! Big hammer? Kill kill kill? Check! I concur wholeheartedly.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1047
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 5:37:22 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'm a weirdo. THis is an opportunity to take at least one Marine ID and one Brit ID out of the game for a long time. Marine replacement rates means about a year, Brit replacements maybe 2 years or more.

I would look at what I would trade to 'kill' these units, and that is a long list. PM, NG, solomons ... pfft. No question, YES. KB? No. Marshalls? yes. Kuriles? No. Burma? Yes. Malay/Thai? No. +2000 LBA ac? Yes. You need to finish this list, but I think you see where I'm going. I can scare up +6 ID's at least ... and a lot of support forces.

Now I know what units I can pull and bring here, and I know that I can bring far more than he can in Nov 42. Bring it all. No half measures here. The BIG hammer.

Your goals:
1. Annihilate the LCU's he has committed. No survivors. I want those units off the board for a long time.
2. See if he will commit his CV's into LBA range to attempt to extract any of these units. If he does, I want to greet him with +1000LBA attack BEFORE the KB joins in.

As someone else noted above, I'd have every single xAP and xAK hauling every unit I can find to this fight from all the locations above I said "YES" to. He's offering up enough troops for me to give up those other areas if I have to. Allied replacements are free, but they are limited. I can curtail his 'feistiness' in '43 right now as he won't have enough LCU's until '44. And maybe he will get desparate in the face of losses to make a mistake and commit his CV's. Not likely, but battles are won and lost on little mistakes ...

Well the marine unit is not big deal. The Allies have marine regiments that they can disband to pick up a pool of squads. The British ID is another thing. Basically, if you destroy a British unit then it is out of the war. Just no squads to rebuild it, not to mention the pitiful device replacement rate which has to be shared with other Commonwealth nations.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1048
RE: Armistice Day 1942 - 6/27/2013 12:14:29 PM   
1275psi

wobbly did this to myself in the original witp

japan won

but it took everything it could muster......................

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1049
Nov 15, 1942 - 6/27/2013 2:50:42 PM   
John 3rd

My gal having issues with her son wanted to work part of this morning so I got a chance to do the 11-15 turn. More bad but not terrible.

BAD:
Lost Phuket, Langkawi, and that western island Batoe-???.

GOOD:
Held off attacks at 44,71 (hex just off Sabang w/1-2 result), Sibolga (Allied Shock 1-2 Forts stay at 4), and Alor Star (1-2 Fort stay 1---two THAI units arrive here tomorrow. Isn't much but it SOMETHING!).

Other:
He moved a trio of CV into the seas between Sabang, Phuket, and Victoria Point. These ships sank a pair of DDs protecting troops landing at Victoria Point. They appear to be loaded with fighters and only one attack squadron each. Will try to lure him into a CAP Trap at Victoria Point where 75 Tojo await.

Victoria Point now at AV 250+ with Forts-3. It is safe from immediate attack. Trying to get an Air Division completely unloaded there from two AMC.

Sank several AKs and damaged nearly a dozen AP-AK with air attacks. Hit BB South Dakota with a pair of bombs. She'll need probably two gallons of paint to fix that!

STF moving into place to make a run at Sibolga's TF. Attacks revealed no CAP and just AK--AP present. They should hit day after tomorrow.

KB near Amboina.

Move another 250 planes into AF in Java and southern Sumatra.

Something FUN. I ordered a pair of AMC to the waters around Tahiti and they SCORED sinking a pair of TK and a PC. Not much but NICE!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/27/2013 2:59:21 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wow. Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI