Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Changing Situation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Changing Situation Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 8:22:53 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Dan is an excellent player who is first and foremost a Gentleman.

Simple reality is that he bit off FAAAAR more then he could chew. He didn't go far enough in his Sumatra Gambit. Should have gone far farther and never allowed me to get back into the match. He has me dead-to-rights but then blinked. As stated back at the time of hte landing I immediately saw the chance for opportunity and it was going to result in a massive Allied Surrender in Mar--April 1943.

I'm tired of the Mod comments Hans. This Mod is no where near Scenario 2. Sits pretty firmly between 1 and 2. Think that has been pretty well settled in the RA 6.0 Fact--Fiction Thread.

In ANY GAME an Allied Player staging late-1942 massed invasion faces the chance for great glory or great disaster. This would have ended in disaster.

I applaud Dan's work and his attempt to swing for the fences. Had he included Palembang, Singers, or Java the plan would have won the war for the Allies.

Well, a setback but not a disaster. I have said before that other than the loss of the Allied carriers the Allied player should be able to recover from this sort of setback in 1942. And, he did force you to pretty much close up shop in the Pacific. Any gambit that can force the Japanese to refocus his attention from the offensive should pay off in late 43. Not to take away from the credit you deserve for quickly seeing the potential for decisive action. You got caught with your pants down but covered your bare bottom pretty well in the end.

Quite frankly, Dan's biggest mistake and you will see that I have told him when you read his AAR is that he agreed to the HR preventing strat bombing before 1944. I believe a better rule is just to limit strat bombing in China for that period. By agreeing to the rule Dan negated any real purpose for an incursion into the DEI so early in the game. Why stick your nose into that cauldron if you cannot bomb the vulnerable Dutch oil. And due to the HR you had no need to cover your exposed oil facilities with fighters so had many more planes to use in the front lines. I think it is a terrible HR for the Allie player to agree to for this reason. This gambit aside, the Allied player should always have the option of a carrier raid on Palembang at any point in the game-forcing the Japanese player to use resources to defend it.

Even if Dan lost the campaign and took significant losses, if he had bombed the oil centers in Medan and those around Plembang the cost to him would have been worth it compared to the disaster to Japan from losing these production centers early in the game.

Siboret Island is the key here and should not have been grabbed by such a weak force on Dan's behalf. And, I should say that every JFB should pay heed and garrison the heck out of this potential level 9 airfield.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1501
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 10:58:31 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

Dan is an excellent player who is first and foremost a Gentleman.

Simple reality is that he bit off FAAAAR more then he could chew. He didn't go far enough in his Sumatra Gambit. Should have gone far farther and never allowed me to get back into the match. He has me dead-to-rights but then blinked. As stated back at the time of hte landing I immediately saw the chance for opportunity and it was going to result in a massive Allied Surrender in Mar--April 1943.

I'm tired of the Mod comments Hans. This Mod is no where near Scenario 2. Sits pretty firmly between 1 and 2. Think that has been pretty well settled in the RA 6.0 Fact--Fiction Thread.

In ANY GAME an Allied Player staging late-1942 massed invasion faces the chance for great glory or great disaster. This would have ended in disaster.

I applaud Dan's work and his attempt to swing for the fences. Had he included Palembang, Singers, or Java the plan would have won the war for the Allies.

Want to apologize to Hans here. My ire was directed at those who don't know the Mod and not him directly. With all the work that has been done getting ready for 6.0 to be released I think I am fairly thin skinned at the moment. Hans got the full brunt of my over-reaction and I generally don't do that to any member of the Forum with the exception of one.

Just wanted to say that.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1502
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:06:47 PM   
John 3rd

Mr. Sutton: I totally agree to the 'he could have recovered' viewpoint expressed by you. however, the destruction of all those units there AND the five Regiment/Brigades at Noumea would have had vast complications to the Allied manpower pool. The Americans could easily have continued but New Zealand, India, and Britain would have been in deep kimche!

As to 'closing up shop' in the Pacific I had already done that prior to his move into Sumatra. This player was OVERCOMMITTED in the Sought Pacific due to reading the tea leaves wrong with where his blow would fall. Thankfully there were enough forces in the Western DEI and Burma to fight a delaying action enabling reinforcement to arrive and begin the counter-offensive.

The HR might be extreme but it also kept me from destroying China's Industry from Day ONE. Curious to see what people think might be an appropriate date for such a HR to end?

Your analysis of the bases grabbed and lack of AF building is spot-on. Biggest advantage I had was his ignoring of Great Nicobar, Car Nicobar, and Siboret. By not working these bases it enabled the Japanese to focus on Western Sumatra safely and begin to punch up the eastern side as well.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 9/20/2013 11:07:04 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1503
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:16:53 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

John,

I'm curious what your plans are, are you going to take 6.0 out for a spin now? Do another AAR with it (hopefully)?

Any way you and CR are BOTH good and wise teachers. When you were kind enough to ask my opinion on the aircraft pools, I gave it some thought and now after reading HansBolter's answer to Sangeli. I would like to modify my answer...

A lot of the battle locations are determined by the players action plans, I consider John3rd a superior tactician and while it is true that the Japanese have superiority in 1942, even John cannot cover everything - and that is where players like CR show thier brilliance. The moves CR made were copied and repreated by many including me in my PBEM game. For instance in my case it was blunting and then repelling the Jap advance in Burma using mostly British and Aussie aircraft & troops and chasing LarryF back down to the peninsula, the cost to me was the USN exposing itself by hitting bases in the Sothern Pacific mostly to keep LarryF from rushing everything over to Burma to take it back. So far I'm successfully attacking but bogging down in the jungles and losing some Burma/British troops to withdrawl is going to make it dicey for a while, until I can reinforce.

It's all Risk/Reward as always but CR literally threw the kitchen sink at John game wise, just a tad too early IMHO. That he nearly pulled it off is quite impressive and the SRA is the key to the war is true, but where and when to strike are the vital marks to watch. I really enjoyed following the match and hope to see them both soon on these pages shortly.

PS - How is the flooding in CO now? The story dropped off the face of the national news so we could see stupid things like Emmy memorial controversies... (groan...)

Cogent commentary Sir and I cannot argue with any of it.

Yep: I will be taking RA 6.0 out for a run. There will, of course, be an AAR to go with it.

AARs are difficult to maintain. A player puts everything out there and armchair quarterbacks always know better or second guess. Additionally the commentary can be quite brutal. This is one of the reasons Dan decided to stop. He was having 'issues' with topics, comments, and criticism within his AAR and our game. He has not given me permission to read it yet but I will go through all of it and look forward to calling out some individuals who cross this line that he alluded to. Many people tend to forget that when games end AARs are then read by the former opposing player.

We welcome Dan over here whenever he is ready to take a look. In re-reading the last 12-15 pages of the AAR, I think he'll have all sorts of things to say. Looking forward to that. He is a good human being and gentlemen to the Nth degree.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 1504
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:29:06 PM   
zuluhour

There's a line?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1505
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:35:42 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

There's a line?

Since I haven't gone over to read that side I do not know the specifics. I just know what he wrote me in emails that shall not be Posted here. He alluded to it in at least one I Posted in this Thread but we do have a strong personal commentary between us during the game. Not specifics but general conversation until something really sparks.

The whole 'gamey/not gamey' use of AKs as Pickets is a topic that he and I don't agree on but when he explained his issues with the game engine for immediate reactions by TFs to flee an area, it sort of made sense. Don't buy into it totally because I feel that the tactic is simply wrong. If it is done with warships--OK but it is not OK if it is Merchies. Plenty of precedent in 1945 with the use of Picket DDs at Okinawa. The could defend themselves and destroy aircraft. Merchants cannot. My opinion...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1506
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:54:44 PM   
zuluhour

pretty harsh. withdrawn.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 9/21/2013 5:10:13 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1507
RE: Changing Situation - 9/20/2013 11:56:22 PM   
zuluhour

+1 on the merchants. Actually I can see Japan using them around the home islands and maybe central Pacific and elsewhere, but not the allies. Maybe, maybe, an allied (rare) AMC.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1508
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 12:07:25 AM   
witpqs

You asked about strat bombing.

Playing a Babes 28-C game. No HR on strat bombing. For one thing, Babes has converted a modest amount of supply at Chinese bases into daily supply. For another, my IJ opponent (Andav) has done the strat bombing and I just sucked it up and lived with it. Try to counter it. If you can you can. If you can't you can't.

When I strat bombed oil early in the game it was barely effective at all. Crews were not good enough, I guess. Only knocked out a little.

Edit: Oops - meant that crews weren't good enough.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/21/2013 5:20:05 AM >

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1509
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 4:21:54 AM   
John 3rd

Appreciate the thoughts there. What have others seen/experienced?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1510
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 6:55:52 AM   
JocMeister

Playing a DBB game the only input I can give is that China still sucks as the allies. Despite having about 30-40% of the Chinese forces intentionally and unintentionally destroyed. Supply has been plummeting from day one. About 3 months in flying missions were impossible due to lack of supply. We are now in october and I have less the 15k supply in the whole of China.

If you allow stratbombing in China is just a free give away after a few months when the allied player cannot fly CAP any more. Supply would dwindle even faster.

My own opinion on China is that its pretty much undefendable for the allies IF the Japanese player makes a dedicated effort and rebase the bomber force there. Even in DBB I lose about 1000-2000 casualties PER TURN in aerial ground bombings. Even in rough terrain. And the bombings of course burn supply.

I would never play a game where strat bombing is allowed in China. It would take only a months or two for the Japanese to knock out all HI/LI and China would collapse even faster than it does now.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1511
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 1:37:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The HR might be extreme but it also kept me from destroying China's Industry from Day ONE. Curious to see what people think might be an appropriate date for such a HR to end?

My opinion? Something to the effect of "No strategic bombing of LI/HI in China period. No daylight pr nighttime strategic bombing by the Allies until January 1, 1943." seems to capture the middle ground.

The Japanese won't burn out China on day one in exchange for unrealistic massing of Allied 4EBs to hit Palembang oil as soon as the Japanese take it.

Nighttime strategic bombing is a different cat and still needs to be worked out.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1512
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 1:55:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

AARs are difficult to maintain. A player puts everything out there and armchair quarterbacks always know better or second guess. Additionally the commentary can be quite brutal. This is one of the reasons Dan decided to stop. He was having 'issues' with topics, comments, and criticism within his AAR and our game. He has not given me permission to read it yet but I will go through all of it and look forward to calling out some individuals who cross this line that he alluded to. Many people tend to forget that when games end AARs are then read by the former opposing player.

We welcome Dan over here whenever he is ready to take a look. In re-reading the last 12-15 pages of the AAR, I think he'll have all sorts of things to say. Looking forward to that. He is a good human being and gentlemen to the Nth degree.

I've received a few PMs from Dan that were uncharacteristically excoriating, John. Most of them dealt with him feeling aggrieved that I could dare suggest-in his AAR- that he may be (even unintentionally) using merchant pickets in a manner that he foreswore he would not. He was angry that I had the temerity to question even the appearance of inadvertent impropriety. He was not his gentlemanly self.

It was doubly annoying that he said he received a PM from someone (left unnamed) that I had, in my posts in your AAR, suggested that may be using the 'soaking off' tactics. So someone here took it upon themselves to PM Dan about my comments / questions / concerns voiced here. I consider that low.

He also indicated that he thought his reputation on the forum should forestall any suggestion of impropriety. I told him that no one gets a carte blanche. Many experienced players on the forum have engaged in behavior that is inconsistent with their reputation from time to time. Usually this behavior is couched as a brilliant tactical or strategic move-we all have seen examples of egotism wrapped in the veneer of brilliance.

I haven't heard back from Dan since we exchanged some PMs. I don't expect to do so for some time either-he's got some significant issues in his family life to contend with.

Dan was burnt out, defensive and going through what must be a very difficult time in his life. I still think the world of him and wish him nothing but the best.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1513
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 2:57:50 PM   
zuluhour

I'm still looking around for the line. What color is it? And where do you look for it? Damn I'm bored and need a turn! On a different tact, I would still like to see what happens in this one. That was one surprise move on Dan's part.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1514
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 3:25:37 PM   
JohnDillworth

Perhaps Dan is a bit burnt but if the Mod leaves one player with no aircraft, and the other player with practically unlimited aircraft, I could see whee that would not be much fun. John, this is a wonderful mod and a great, interesting historical what-if but the aircraft balance seems a bit off. I think this is true for most of the mods. Are there any that give the Allies more planes?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 1515
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 3:47:12 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Mr. Sutton: I totally agree to the 'he could have recovered' viewpoint expressed by you. however, the destruction of all those units there AND the five Regiment/Brigades at Noumea would have had vast complications to the Allied manpower pool. The Americans could easily have continued but New Zealand, India, and Britain would have been in deep kimche!

As to 'closing up shop' in the Pacific I had already done that prior to his move into Sumatra. This player was OVERCOMMITTED in the Sought Pacific due to reading the tea leaves wrong with where his blow would fall. Thankfully there were enough forces in the Western DEI and Burma to fight a delaying action enabling reinforcement to arrive and begin the counter-offensive.

Your analysis of the bases grabbed and lack of AF building is spot-on. Biggest advantage I had was his ignoring of Great Nicobar, Car Nicobar, and Siboret. By not working these bases it enabled the Japanese to focus on Western Sumatra safely and begin to punch up the eastern side as well.

Well, a blow but in mid to late 1944 I find there is a good surplus of Allied units and can't find a use for all of mine. American units are easily rebuilt and New Zealand, Canadian and most Australian units are of little need. (except Australian tank and base units along with about three strong Aussie divisions). In fact I have yet to find the PP to buy out any Canadian unit. You can even lose British units and not replace them (except armor, they are precious). The big hit is the Indian army but even with the losses he will be strong enough. If the Allied player gains control of the sea then, he can win with about the half the troops on hand by 1945. You just don't need many divisions when you are bypassing Japanese bases.

If I were Dan in this situation, I simply would not rebuild any unit but the lost tank units. The precious devices are better used filling out the units left over and reinforcements due to come on.

I would change your HR to read "no strat bombing in China until 1944" and leave the rest be. If the Japanese player allows the Allies to get within strat range before 1944 then he deserves to get hammered. Especially with RA or scen #2.

There is pretty good evidence that Dan just tried this too early. The Allies are not swimming in engineer and construction units in 42 and that type of unit and base support are critical in a move such as this. Also, I really think the Allies need to have a lot of LSTs to pull this off. You really need LSTs to supply and build up a 1 port base like Siboret. If the Allies take it, they have to build it up fast and that is hard to do with out the big construction units and the precious LST.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1516
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 4:43:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I've received a few PMs from Dan that were uncharacteristically excoriating, John. Most of them dealt with him feeling aggrieved that I could dare suggest-in his AAR- that he may be (even unintentionally) using merchant pickets in a manner that he foreswore he would not. He was angry that I had the temerity to question even the appearance of inadvertent impropriety. He was not his gentlemanly self.

It was doubly annoying that he said he received a PM from someone (left unnamed) that I had, in my posts in your AAR, suggested that may be using the 'soaking off' tactics. So someone here took it upon themselves to PM Dan about my comments / questions / concerns voiced here. I consider that low.

He also indicated that he thought his reputation on the forum should forestall any suggestion of impropriety. I told him that no one gets a carte blanche. Many experienced players on the forum have engaged in behavior that is inconsistent with their reputation from time to time. Usually this behavior is couched as a brilliant tactical or strategic move-we all have seen examples of egotism wrapped in the veneer of brilliance.

I haven't heard back from Dan since we exchanged some PMs. I don't expect to do so for some time either-he's got some significant issues in his family life to contend with.

Dan was burnt out, defensive and going through what must be a very difficult time in his life. I still think the world of him and wish him nothing but the best.

I don't know who PM'd Dan but I'm not surprised. He was not merely accused in this AAR, he was convicted in the tone of some posts as I remember the discussion (I have not looked back to refresh my memory). This in spite of the fact that the problem was not important enough to John to report it to Michael for possible bug-fix, which I twice suggested. I thought I sensed Dan being over-sensitive in his AAR so I'm sure he was stressed from RL but I am also sure that hearing about the soakers discussion would have really PO'd him in any event.

I didn't see the discussion about being not giving him carte blanche. I saw the discussion framed in such a way that a player is only allowed to use convoys in very specific ways regardless of his judgement of the tactical and logistical situation. I think that aspect of the discussion was greatly influenced by Dan's openly declared practice of using picket ships, and the disagreement that Dan and John had/have over Dan's practice. As best I remember Dan's (reported/claimed) use of picket ships has evolved over time, and he might have actually used merchants for that duty in the past, which probably further influenced the discussion.

A further issue. I agree that we have to be extremely, even exceptionally careful about revealing what is in players' AARs. I am sometimes uncomfortable with posts that I see in an AAR or in non-AAR threads that reference material in an (another) AAR. Sometimes posters are not as circumspect as they think they are being when they make references to AAR material. But when a player is outright accused of cheating, why is it low for a reader to inform the accused player that they have been so accused? In this case there was more than just the question raised or a theoretical discussion, there was unabashed accusation to the point of asserting fact with virtually no other possibility. I do not know what was PM'd and certainly OpSec violations would be wrong. But informing Dan was not wrong and should have been expected, given the number of people who were reading this AAR. Someone was bound to do it and thinking that the extreme ire of the conversation would remain confidential was stupid.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/21/2013 6:04:50 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1517
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 5:59:46 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Perhaps Dan is a bit burnt but if the Mod leaves one player with no aircraft, and the other player with practically unlimited aircraft

Thats not mod specific. Thats AE. I honestly don´t understand where the myth that CRs lack of airframes is because of RA started.

The biggest allied challenge in this game is nursing your air force. Even in 44 and 45.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1518
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 7:09:52 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

The biggest allied challenge in this game is nursing your air force. Even in 44 and 45.

I am now up to August 45 in my game with Zachary. And I lack fighters. A few P47N, P51D and P38L squads are at full strength only because I have a lot of squadrons flying various P39s and P40s. I would kill kill for an extra F6F-6! The first squadron of Bearcats was slaughtered over Tokyo.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1519
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 8:02:47 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

I never mentioned in the thread but I thought Nemo was over the top when he was speaking about John 3 personality traits which I felt if they were in my direction I'd consider them personal attacks. I also felt there was mention of the possibility of someone breaking Opsec and clueing John in on moves. If it was my AAR I would have put a stop to it and was surprised both went unchecked not only by the OP but contributors as well.

My reading comprehension is on par with my poor sentence structure so someone please tell me if I read it wrong.

Super post as always Chickenboy.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 9/21/2013 8:03:46 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1520
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 10:27:39 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

I never mentioned in the thread but I thought Nemo was over the top when he was speaking about John 3 personality traits which I felt if they were in my direction I'd consider them personal attacks. I also felt there was mention of the possibility of someone breaking Opsec and clueing John in on moves. If it was my AAR I would have put a stop to it and was surprised both went unchecked not only by the OP but contributors as well.

My reading comprehension is on par with my poor sentence structure so someone please tell me if I read it wrong.

Super post as always Chickenboy.

Nemo is the ONE I mention in my Posting above. I can quote his psycho-babble regarding me from memory. He places it in every opponent's AAR whom I play against. Dan is too much of a gentlemen to say it or stop it. Know that for a FACT since he and I spoke about it.

Thank You SuluSea. But I already knew he would do that.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 9/21/2013 10:28:38 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1521
RE: Changing Situation - 9/21/2013 10:44:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

I don't know who PM'd Dan but I'm not surprised. He was not merely accused in this AAR, he was convicted in the tone of some posts as I remember the discussion (I have not looked back to refresh my memory). This in spite of the fact that the problem was not important enough to John to report it to Michael for possible bug-fix, which I twice suggested. I thought I sensed Dan being over-sensitive in his AAR so I'm sure he was stressed from RL but I am also sure that hearing about the soakers discussion would have really PO'd him in any event.

I didn't see the discussion about being not giving him carte blanche. I saw the discussion framed in such a way that a player is only allowed to use convoys in very specific ways regardless of his judgement of the tactical and logistical situation. I think that aspect of the discussion was greatly influenced by Dan's openly declared practice of using picket ships, and the disagreement that Dan and John had/have over Dan's practice. As best I remember Dan's (reported/claimed) use of picket ships has evolved over time, and he might have actually used merchants for that duty in the past, which probably further influenced the discussion.

A further issue. I agree that we have to be extremely, even exceptionally careful about revealing what is in players' AARs. I am sometimes uncomfortable with posts that I see in an AAR or in non-AAR threads that reference material in an (another) AAR. Sometimes posters are not as circumspect as they think they are being when they make references to AAR material. But when a player is outright accused of cheating, why is it low for a reader to inform the accused player that they have been so accused? In this case there was more than just the question raised or a theoretical discussion, there was unabashed accusation to the point of asserting fact with virtually no other possibility. I do not know what was PM'd and certainly OpSec violations would be wrong. But informing Dan was not wrong and should have been expected, given the number of people who were reading this AAR. Someone was bound to do it and thinking that the extreme ire of the conversation would remain confidential was stupid.

Sorry, witpqs, but I disagree with much of what you've posted above.

There's a lot of meaning in specific words that we use. Questioning someone's judgement or actions and seeking clarification in the face of seemingly contrary actions is not the same as accusing them of 'cheating'. Equating the two is conflating the use of the term 'cheating'. I agree that being accused of 'cheating' per se (particularly to one's face) would be emotive. Conflating the words used in another AAR or misstating the words used in another AAR in a PM to someone not reading the AAR is contributory to an emotional outburst. I'm really surprised you wouldn't see a difference.

You didn't see the discussion about not giving Dan carte blanche because you weren't involved in the PM chain. Dan has elected to selectively posting texts of PMs on his AAR, but he hasn't-to my understanding posted this one.

I also disagree with you that assuming that the 'ire of the conversation would remain confidential was stupid'. Things stated confidentially into another player's AAR should remain that way-in content, tone and demeanor. Full stop. Anything else is an OPSEC violation and a betrayal of trust.

I'll trust you not to use the word "stupid" so flippantly either, witpqs. As I said above, you've got to be careful about the meaning that words convey. Particularly words like "cheating" or "stupid". There's a reason I've not used those terms. Summarizing my challenges in that fashion is incorrect and inflammatory.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1522
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 12:22:28 AM   
John 3rd

Very well said Chickenboy. Always appreciate your commentary and tone. Wording is VERY IMPORTANT. Tone can be as well. Good points...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1523
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 1:49:03 AM   
witpqs

Wording and tone are indeed very important. The tone of the discussion in this AAR went right to the point where it was clear to me reading it that Dan was accused of cheating. And I can't conflate words used in the AAR with words used in the PMs referred to because I have never seen any of the PMs. As you point out, I was not a party to them.

I understand that I don't have all the facts because I have not seen the PMs, and I don't care to see them. You are saying that you are upset because someone misstated/took out of context, etc. what was written when they PM'd Dan that he was accused of cheating. But what I read here looked to me like Dan being accused of cheating.

As far as choice of the words 'stupid', and 'cheating'. First off, you knew that Dan would be invited to read this AAR when the game ends. The notion that what you wrote here would remain confidential was... what word would you prefer? Nonsense? I think the word 'unrealistic' does not capture the extent of the disconnect. And that does not even consider the likelihood that someone would contact Dan, which obviously is what happened.

As far as the word cheating goes, that is where I think the discussion went. And obviously at least one other person also thought so, because that person sent a PM to Dan about it. I did not do an exhaustive search, but I did just look back as far as this post of yours:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy {post # 1217}

Oh gee...lookee lookee...

If you get closer to the Allies, you stand a good chance of having a number of your strikes diverted by Allied shipping before you can get at his carriers.  You know, a cynic would say this was an ideal opportunity for the Allies to attack land targets (which your opponent rarely does) with their fleet carriers as a pretext whilest getting 'behind' an arc of sortie soaking shipping.  Someone who was skeptical would say that this arc of shipping was intentional contrived to shield the carriers which just so happened to be behind it for the last three turns.

I assume that he won't have any compunction about moving the Allied carriers into battle after diluting your striking power accordingly?

I think I accurately characterize your tone when I say the essence of the accusation is one of 'cheating'.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1524
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 2:35:44 AM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

I've been in out and out of town alot over the past eight or nine days. My dad's demise was not a sad occurrence given his long life, but it has been exhausting. I knew that I wasn't thinking clearly here in the forum, so I needed to take a break. I told John I would probably withdraw from the game, but that I needed a week or two to get my head on straight. I wish he hadn't then, in the very midst of that period, unilaterally terminated the game. But so be it.

Chickenboy make a serious miststatement that has stirred up passions considerably. He didn't do this on purpose - I can see where he got his notions in the heat of the conversations, but if he goes back and reads carefully the messages we exchanged, he'll see that this is the case. I did not tell him that I learned via PM that he was accusing me in this AAR of cheating. Instead, I said that I had a PM from a forumite who had seen a discussion in this thread about cheating and soaking off and wanted to know my point of view. Shortly thereafter, I saw a post in my AAR by Chickenboy that was accusatory about soaking off. That, I told Chickenboy, made the picture pretty clear. So there was no OpSec violation unless you consider a general mention that folks in this AAR thought that I was soaking off is a violation.

I've gone back through the past month or so of this AAR and, like Witpqs, I think the tone was very clearly made that I was indeed soaking off and cheating. The most interesting comment was one that those thinking I was would "know" when they saw how I handled my TFs once John sprang the KB forward. They said if I scattered them and tried to get them out of harm's way it would show that I wasn't soaking off. Well, gents, that's exactly what happened. I had indeed passed your own private test of my character, but nobody mentioned that I had passed your test.

I freely admit using picket ships, so why some of you think I'd lie about not using soaking off I do not know. I did not use it and have never used it. My play in this game proved it - by your own test - and I'll be glad to provide my turn files and password for anybody that wants to look back through a week or two or three of turns to see the constant stream of ships traveling between my two major ports. Seriously, am I supposed to not send ships forward to Sabang or, once empty, to send them back? Really?

Finally, I was not expecting "carte blanche" as Chickenboy says. But I did think that my reputation and overall body of work over a decade would have persuaded people to give me the benefit of the doubt - or to know that when I say something, it's so. I was very disappointed in the Fourm when my word wasn't sufficient.

The tone in the Forums has left a great deal to be desired lately The community I thought I knew is not the community that was here when the chips were down. It's just a small percentage that are really "tone deaf" right now, but the net effect is to really sour the atmosphere.

I'm going to take an indefinite leave of absence. The lure of AE - the best game I've ever known - is strong, so I'll probably be back sooner rather than later. Or maybe not. In the meantime, my best to all the good folks of the Forum.

Dan

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/22/2013 2:42:03 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1525
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 2:43:29 AM   
SuluSea

quote:

Dan is too much of a gentlemen to say it or stop it. Know that for a FACT since he and I spoke about it.

Thank You SuluSea. But I already knew he would do that.

Good point about Canoe who I feel is a top type guy. The forum is far better when he is active.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1526
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 2:43:58 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

you make my point. Which side ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS needs to nurse their air force and what side has unlimited airframes?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1527
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 3:21:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
I think I accurately characterize your tone when I say the essence of the accusation is one of 'cheating'.

And I think you used that word when I chose not to. You may think it's a moral or verbal equivalent, but I don't. Nuff said on the matter.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1528
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 3:22:40 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
I'm going to take an indefinite leave of absence. The lure of AE - the best game I've ever known - is strong, so I'll probably be back sooner rather than later. Or maybe not. In the meantime, my best to all the good folks of the Forum.

Best wishes, Dan. See you around, I hope.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1529
RE: Changing Situation - 9/22/2013 3:29:12 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
They said if I scattered them and tried to get them out of harm's way it would show that I wasn't soaking off. Well, gents, that's exactly what happened. I had indeed passed your own private test of my character, but nobody mentioned that I had passed your test.

This, I freely admit, was a failure of mine to acknowledge. When it became clear that your behavior was exculpatory, I should have made that observation publicly. This I failed to do and I apologize for this omission.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Changing Situation Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI