Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Difficult

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: Difficult Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Difficult - 11/22/2012 10:25:13 PM   
Ichirou989

I was also wondering about that extra garrison unit the Belgians get. In truth though that garrison may not be a bad thing even on balanced, as once you figure out the optimal attack for the Germans through Belgium one can sweep through to Calais, the doorstep of Paris, and still take out Antwerp. I kind of feel that maybe that garrison should be there on balanced.

A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 31
RE: Difficult - 11/23/2012 3:45:57 AM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

The Russians sure seem to get an awful lot of units--more than you get playing the Entente, and faster. It could just be observer bias, of course, as I have no way to confirm, really, but it seems like there's very little the CP can do to stave off the Russians unless you gut the Western front entirely. More bothersome though are the Italians, who not only seem to be able to generate, nearly instantly, a huge army, but also seem able to traipse across the Alps into southern Bavaria without any trouble, making it very hard for the CP to hold in the West with the additional forces needed to hold off the Italians.

I'm willing to accept that my handling of the Russians is my fault, but I'm also wondering whether it might not be best to have a tweak to the rules so that minor powers can't ship their armies out all over the map (Bulgarians to Flanders!) or mount long-range offensives in other people's territory (our Italian foreign legions).

(in reply to Ichirou989)
Post #: 32
RE: Difficult - 11/23/2012 7:57:15 AM   
EUBanana

Italy does seem extremely powerful. In the Entente it is a key power; I had them garrisonning Egypt in several games.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 33
RE: Difficult - 11/23/2012 8:20:46 AM   
Myrddraal

Well, they did fight in Greece... but I take the point about there being _no_ units left in the home country. I think an effect on morale would be the best way to restrict this. We may be able to include something along these lines in the/a patch. As Lukas said, it's a little bit more complex than just the rule change, we also need to make the AI 'aware' of the rule.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 34
RE: Difficult - 11/23/2012 1:51:51 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

Well, they did fight in Greece... but I take the point about there being _no_ units left in the home country. I think an effect on morale would be the best way to restrict this. We may be able to include something along these lines in the/a patch. As Lukas said, it's a little bit more complex than just the rule change, we also need to make the AI 'aware' of the rule.

Absolutely. The game is working well enough as it is, no need to do anything radical. But there's always room for tweaking and improvement!

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 35
RE: Difficult - 11/26/2012 2:47:40 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombatBut
there's always room for tweaking and improvement!

Entente, Central Powers - it's all the same to me. I get rolled. I'll never be confused with Napoleon but damn. I have to be missing something game mechanic-wise because the computer AI is slaughtering me every time I boot the game up.

Suggesting a tweak: Let Bossy573 win one game mode.

Post #: 36
RE: Difficult - 11/26/2012 2:36:52 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Absolutely. The game is working well enough as it is, no need to do anything radical. But there's always room for tweaking and improvement!

I find the game easy, please don't make it easier.

Post #: 37
RE: Difficult - 11/26/2012 5:01:10 PM   
Vasquez

^^ Ive just beaten the Central Powers at balanced in June 1917. The AI did pretty well during the first 2 years. But from middle 1916 they falled apart =) the AI started no Submarine Warfare tho. 

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 38
RE: Difficult - 11/26/2012 7:15:10 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

If you find it easy playing as the CP, I'd love to hear how you handle the Russians and Italians. I have yet to develop a strategy that works.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 39
RE: Difficult - 11/27/2012 1:53:34 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you find it easy playing as the CP, I'd love to hear how you handle the Russians and Italians. I have yet to develop a strategy that works.

I don't know what to say, other than build enough troops and keep heavy pressure on France. Get Paris as early as possible, use artillary to get one city at a time. Italy seems to want to help France more than defend herself. When the pressures on France, she sends most of her troops there. I had no problem using AH artillary to roll through Italy. In Russia, all I can do is hold the line, till troops from the west show up. Focus research trenches all the way up.
On "balanced" I won the first try.

Post #: 40
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 8:05:20 AM   
SAAvenger

Well problem is most of us can't achieve that while you still have "harder" modes to get a challenge we currently have no way of achieving victory *grins*
I've tried my first game as Entente Allies and it's funny how different the setting is (amount of troops at start and stats I suppose), first round the IA can destroy an entrenched serbian unit with 3 units while when you play as the CP there is no way you can do that :)

The game is fun, good looking, lots of flavor but it'd benefit greatly for a less fast paced experience (or overwhelming IA) imho ofc not asking to nerf too hard as we all like challenge but I prefer when there is more than 1 way to win (or have to follow the exact route like "if you haven't taken brussels/paris in round 2 then you're toasted" is the kind of things I'm not found of hearing :D )

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 41
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 8:14:34 AM   
Empire101

The game 'really' gets going when you play PBEM. The multiplayer setup lobby is slick and a breeze to use.

Just find an opponent, you will be sorely tested!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 42
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 3:52:27 PM   
vils

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Either I am managing my economy wrong or the AI on balanced is getting a PP boost. Perhaps I am spending manpower foolishly and it is lowering my PP but there are way too many AI troops arrayed against me... the term 'endless hordes' is applicable no matter which side I play the other side seems to have inexhaustible units to plug into holes.

Are me and my brother the only two folks experiencing this?

I must agree, i have played 2 1914 campaigns now as Axis, and the only thing i can do just to stay alive until 1917 is to produce units like a madman, just to halt the threat from russia and from everywhere else not forgetting Italy's warentrance.. unfortunately pretty much only inf as my PP are so low..

SPOILERWARNING:

...So i gave my countries extra 50000 pp and restarted, this time things went much better, even my research managed to outwit the enemy but mind that despite i had 40 research labs in all catergories at all time, i only beat the AI with some few months in tech!

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 43
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 4:22:14 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: vils

SPOILERWARNING:

...So i gave my countries extra 50000 pp and restarted, this time things went much better,

Did you win?

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 44
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 4:41:39 PM   
catwhoorg

I'm now 2/2 as the CP versus the balanced AI.

Fro the second game, plan was advance through Belgium and create a defensible front in Northern France - don't push hard for Paris and over-reach. Germany then focuses its main efforts East.

Defeat Serbia before Italian entry - those AH forces would be the core of the Italian Front. An AH artillery heads to Palestine to support the Turks.

Turkey, advances slowly in the Caucasus using only the initial forces, plus the Garrison from the far SE (Kuwait is it?). Very deliberate actions, surround, cut supply to 50% then defeat in detail. Move onto next target.

Fight a strong delaying action versus the British, and wait for reinforcements.

Bulgarians single focus is get ready to and destroy Romania fast, then splits with some advancing into the Ukraine, and the rest supporting Turkey.

The West front was a grinder for both sides, as to be expected. Gas attacks, disrupt then ground troops pound in. I spent far too much in terms of resources for my plan, but managed to hold my line (or when pushed back successfully counter).

Serbia, fell on schedule, Italy faced AH and couldn't get any initial traction. Then a war of attrition in my favour followed.

Caucasus, slow grind. Bloody actions. Everything according to plan.

Egypt/Palestine. Got pushed back, back again and finally held the mountains, just before the 'underbelly' of modern day Turkey (not sure of the geographical name for this range). Artillery + Bulgar inf caused a complete reversal of fortunes, and eventually Turks push through Egypt and all the way to Tunis.
(incidentally go far enough into Libya and you drop to half supply status).

Eastern Front, dynamic and with gains/losses/gains/losses being the pattern. Once Romania fell, the extra front length and disruption in the Ukraine, led to a rapid advance across the whole front. Cavalry was a very useful unit type here, both behind the lines as a reserve to meet any breakthrough, and also to exploit successes.
Got to play the encirclement game, and threaten advanced units, even if you don't get a full encirclement, it causes enough realignment.
Once Russia surrendered, disband all the garrisons on the front, and switch focus to the West and Italy. Pick up a couple of bomber units, and start strategic bombing of the UK, to affect morale.

The Italian lines were outflanked by an invasion of Taranto, then rolled up completely, Rome was hit from the North and South on the same turn and easily taken. Subsequent attacks into the S of France from Italy, led to the collapse of the traditional Western Front, and French Surrender. The losses plus the bombing, led to a British surrender before I could try a Sealion-style invasion.

I did get to practice by doing so on Portugal though... An amphibious assault is no easy thing to manage and succeed with in this game

The Entente collapse like a house of cards, once the first area crumbles. The trick is getting there, before you collapse in the similar manner.

Want one go with the CP more at balanced versus the AI before I up the difficulty.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 45
RE: Difficult - 11/28/2012 11:19:13 PM   
Myrddraal

quote:

(amount of troops at start and stats I suppose), first round the IA can destroy an entrenched serbian unit with 3 units while when you play as the CP there is no way you can do that :)

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but as the main AI developer I feel the need to say it . The AI does not receive any stat bonuses, on any difficulty level. As the CP player you can completely destroy the Serbian front garrison. Move your three units to the adjacent hexes, and make sure you attack in the right order (look at the rivers, and launch your first attack where you don't have to make a crossing).

The Privileged AI gets temporary Production Point income boosts when it's armies are not at full strength, to help it mobilise and repair quicker. The AI also gets an extra garrison unit in Belgium (this was supposed to be only on Privileged mode but actually appears in all modes, this will be fixed in the first patch).

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 46
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 7:27:40 AM   
gunnergoz

Is no one playing as the Allies? It does not seem so.
I only play them so far and find the game a bit too easy on the balanced setting.
FWIW they may need tuning.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 47
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 12:54:56 PM   
Amaranthus

Myrddraal, regarding the AI, I would like to see a setting whereby the AI plays at its full strength, but it is given no production bonuses etc. This what the 'General' setting on PzC does, and is my preferred way to play. That is, all of the resources are 'balanced', but the AI is aggressive and savvy like in Privileged mode. A bit like I'm playing an MP game, except against the best intellect the CPU can muster.

I assume that the Balanced option doesn't actually give you this, since you noted elsewhere that due to a bug the Handicapped Mode AI was actually playing stronger than in Balanced (or was that just to do with the mis-allocated penalties turning into bonuses?)

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 48
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 1:06:05 PM   
catwhoorg

Gunner, I'm 3/3 with the entente versus balanced AI.

Serbia holds out far too effectively, which just puts the CP behind from the get-go.

(in reply to Amaranthus)
Post #: 49
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 2:35:16 PM   
BYU 14

Also playing Entente, lost when I made some mistakes in Russia and along the western front in game 1, looking like I will be grinding out a victory in my current game. Pushed the CP back in the west and have retaken all of Belgium but liege. Holding on in the east and Serbia lasted longer than in RL which has helped.

I do agree about Serbia, the AI needs to take more of a flanking action, which is the recommended move as a human play, early on. Not much more to dicker about with the AI though, this game is excellent and I am enjoying it a great deal.

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 50
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 4:10:53 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

Then perhaps you can be kind enough to do an AAR to show us mere mortals how to avoid being hammered

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 51
RE: Difficult - 11/29/2012 10:01:51 PM   
Mike Parker

I have tried and tried and tried.. I just cannot beat... no let me more truly state this... I cannot even give the AI on Balanced a good game, it overwhelms me no matter which side I play. The only way I even stay in a game for a long time is to use gamey tactics exploiting the AI weaknesses. I love this game, and perhaps I just suck at it... but until the patch that fixes handicapped AI I can only play MP... which is wonderful also... but not enough for me!

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 52
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 8:45:15 AM   
SAAvenger

quote:

quote:

(amount of troops at start and stats I suppose), first round the IA can destroy an entrenched serbian unit with 3 units while when you play as the CP there is no way you can do that :)

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but as the main AI developer I feel the need to say it . The AI does not receive any stat bonuses, on any difficulty level. As the CP player you can completely destroy the Serbian front garrison. Move your three units to the adjacent hexes, and make sure you attack in the right order (look at the rivers, and launch your first attack where you don't have to make a crossing).

The Privileged AI gets temporary Production Point income boosts when it's armies are not at full strength, to help it mobilise and repair quicker. The AI also gets an extra garrison unit in Belgium (this was supposed to be only on Privileged mode but actually appears in all modes, this will be fixed in the first patch).

You are correct Myrddraal I restarted another game and indeed saw that the first serbian unit is not as entrenched as I thought it was and so it explains.
Also as the allies I do not have an easy time but the game is balanced for me (hear challenging but you have options) so the problem is mostly for CP I suppose :)

edit: about a short summary
Made a line at Calais in france and now slowly pushing back but no real advantage, still losing troops in 1 turn when IA focus with artillery but I still expect to make a breakthrough at some point.
Made a mistake in russia as I tried to attack so lost quite a few units now I had to withdraw quite a bit (Kiev).
Advancing in Turkey and Serbia hasn't fall yet (but lost the capital when Bulgaria entered war) but it won't hold long.
Stalemate in Italy

< Message edited by SA_Avenger -- 11/30/2012 8:50:29 AM >

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 53
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 12:16:57 PM   
hadberz

The game is pretty easy to mod. I started tweaking the CP to be little bit tougher in the 1914 campaign. My tweaks are pretty minor and it certainly changed the game up. I plan to do the same to the Entente.

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 54
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 1:01:16 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

The game is pretty easy to mod. I started tweaking the CP to be little bit tougher in the 1914 campaign. My tweaks are pretty minor and it certainly changed the game up. I plan to do the same to the Entente.

Could you give some advice how to tweak the AI?

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 55
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 1:56:55 PM   
Myrddraal

The AI is harder to tweak than other elements of the game, but there are ways you can mod it. If you want a good place to start, look in Data / Scripts / ScriptedAI /. Open those files in notepad, and you'll see some 'scripted' functions which influence the AI. These are the non-dynamic elements of the AI, which can be edited to alter the AI's behaviour.

< Message edited by Myrddraal -- 11/30/2012 1:58:05 PM >

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 56
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 4:55:29 PM   
BYU 14

quote:

The AI is harder to tweak than other elements of the game, but there are ways you can mod it. If you want a good place to start, look in Data / Scripts / ScriptedAI /. Open those files in notepad, and you'll see some 'scripted' functions which influence the AI. These are the non-dynamic elements of the AI, which can be edited to alter the AI's behaviour.

Like this option as I feel the AI strategy wise is VERY solid (minus you can hold Serbia too long vs AI), but I will leave modding to more capable folks.

Question Myrddraal, am noticing that the aerial part of the game is a little lacking in terms of dogfights, would just like to see more as it seems it is hard to ever get an Ace to become deployable. Is this something you have looked at or is it behavior that can be modded?

Obviously WW I was all about the grind on the ground, but would just like some more dogfights :)

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 57
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 5:10:42 PM   
Myrddraal

Well, in the game dogfights only start once you have researched armed aircraft. Fighters then intercept any enemy air attack on ground units, and escort friendly bombers and zeppelins, engaging any enemy fighters that intercept them. In this way, you can get dogfights which involve multiple fighters, bombers and zeppelins. All of this is triggered automatically when you (or the AI) launch an offensive air attack where there are nearby enemy fighters.

(in reply to BYU 14)
Post #: 58
RE: Difficult - 11/30/2012 11:13:33 PM   
BYU 14

I jusr realized this, I forget about the automatic intercepts since they go so quickly. I directly attacked an enemy unit with one of my own and got the Dogfight event, which is what made me wonder how often aerial combat was actually happening, thanks. :)

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 59
RE: Difficult - 12/1/2012 2:29:29 AM   
hadberz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke
Could you give some advice how to tweak the AI?

I didn't do anything with the AI. Just added few more PP and units to Central Powers. I'll post what I have in the mod forum.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: Difficult Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI