Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/4/2016 7:42:54 PM   
witpqs

If you are running your game in 'Windowed mode' instead of 'Full Screen mode' you might also want to change this to "Maximized"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3901
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/4/2016 8:53:31 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Gents, for taking time to help me with the screen issues. I know where to look now, so when I get home, I'll give it a try. If I have problems, you'll know (you'll hear me squawking). If I'm successful, I'll owe you something. :)

I'm still tinkering around with the next turn. I wonder what a bombardment run by four DDs might accomplish? Probably not much, especially without recon, so I'm inclined to give patrols a few days in hopes of intercepting a juicy convoy. If I keep drilling dry wells, I can always make a trip up Brunei way. My hunch is that my TF can make it there without detection. Or, how about a raid on Hong Kong?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3902
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 12:26:06 AM   
jwolf

IMHO it doesn't make sense to blow their cover for a mere bombardment. I'd like to see them make a bigger splash than that.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3903
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 1:28:59 AM   
Canoerebel

The Monitor versus the Merrimac Thanks to your help, ye Forumites, the problem seems fixed. I installed the recommended Switches and now the hexes and all details look normal. And the bonus is the bigger screen means I see a heckuva lot more of the map. Cool! Thanks to you all and especially Zuluhour, witpqs, NYGiants and BBFanboy. Much appreciated. And I didn't crash the World Wide Web!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3904
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 7:17:50 AM   
morejeffs

John has lost 7-9 CAs....How many does the IJN have? Obviously....They are awesome ships (especially when compared to IJN CLs)

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3905
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 7:44:27 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: morejeffs

John has lost 7-9 CAs....How many does the IJN have? Obviously....They are awesome ships (especially when compared to IJN CLs)

18 in stock if I remember correctly. Not sure if they get any extra in RA. Probably...

EDIT: Looks like the Japanese get 4 extra Tone CAs. (Iwaki, Hikari, Kurama and Ibiki). They also get 2 BCs (Kawachi and Kasuga). Add to that 4 extra Shokaku CVs, 9 CLs and 22 DDs...

I assume this is for the latest RA. Not sure if its the same in the version CR is playing.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 1/5/2016 8:52:32 AM >

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 3906
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 12:13:33 PM   
ny59giants

I didn't think it was possible to find somebody on this forum more 'computer challenged' than John, but I think you may be Dan. As soon as I can get Tracker up and running, I'll have to have a long phone call with John to walk him through.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3907
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 2:24:19 PM   
Canoerebel

Oh, I'm hugely challenged when it comes to the actual mechanics and electronics of computers. I am clueless.

But I do know how to use computers, mostly for word processing, desginging things (I don't design my magazine, but on occasion I do design ads, etc.), maintaining our website (it's very unimpressive, but it does the job for a two-man business) and even creating You Tube videos of Appalachian Trail trips (that are only of interest to those who were present).

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 3908
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 2:38:06 PM   
Canoerebel

1/20/43

Battle of Balikpapan: The four USN destroyers rumble into port and savage two enemy TFs, sinking five xAKs, two xAKLs, and a PB. Judging by VPs, the xAKs were pretty good ones. I was hoping for tankers, but no doubt this raid got John's full attention and left him a bit rattled (judging by email comments). The destroyers performed well but shot up all their ammunition. They'll have to retire with a bunch of fully-aroused Apachees hot on their heels. (The blood lust for enemy tankers was partly satisfied when a USN sub put two torps into a big tanker near Brunei, sending it under.)

Battle of Sumatra: A fairly quiet day: no enemy sweeps or combat TFs at Sabang, the enemy stack (three divisions) south of Langsa only bombards (doing more harm to itself than to the Allied units), and about 25 SBDs hit the port facility at Sinabang, hopefully delaying enemy work on the airfield.

Battle of Burma: The RAF sweeps Rangoon (this is one of the rare time I've used sweeps due to the lack of fighters and the high need to maintain CAP) to modest results. On the ground, an enemy division (55th or 53rd or something) dislodges a solo UK brigade, creating a mounting risk that John will move this division to cut off my big stack south of Magwe. With respect to that big stack, 41st USA division attacks by itself without success. (Tomorrow, all Allied units in the hex will attack.) Further to the north, a modest Allied army boots two-thirds of a Royal Thai division (1/A and 1/C) from a hex north of Schwebo, interdicting the rail leading to Katha and Myityina. A Chinese division arrives at Taung Gyi and finds it defended by a non-fighting unit (so it should take that base tomorrow). Finally, both sides have stacks in a jungle hex just east of Ramree. I think John diverted the 55th (or 53rd) division from this stack, leaving it with one heavily reinforced divsision. The Alies will attack here tomorrow, hopefully preceeded by large SBD divebombing raids.

All of this is confusing in type, so I'll post a map later today.

Reinforcements: 9th Aussie Division just arrived at Aden. She'll probably be committed to Burma in the short term, but ultmately she's prepping for Medan in Sumatra. If the Allies manage to hold Sabang, then Sumatra will be the western campaign focus in the second half of '43.

Key Question: What are the prospects for the Allies holding Sumatra? There remains a chance, perhaps slightly higher than this time a week or two back. I'm guessings somewhere in the 25% to 30% range. That's good enough for the Allies to commit everything available to the fight. I'm using all of my carrier air now (well, mainly the F4Fs with occasinal use of SBDs) since Sabang (and Langsa to an extent) is an unsinkable carrier. I think the key date is April, when the Hellcats come online at the rate of 130 per month. That's a long, long way off, but we'll see. In the meantime, the secondary objective remains to attrit to Kaigun. This has been a good week for that with the sinking of Takao and Ashigara.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/5/2016 3:39:54 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3909
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 2:45:30 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Battle of Balikpapan: The four USN destroyers rumble into port and savage two enemy TFs,
sinking five xAKs, two xAKLs, and a PB. Judging by VPs, the xAKs were pretty good ones.
I was hoping for tankers, but no doubt this raid got John's full attention and left him a bit rattled
(judging by email comments). The destroyers performed well but shot up all their ammunition.
They'll have to retire with a bunch of fully-aroused Apachees hot on their heels.
(The blood lust for enemy tankers was partly satisfied when a USN sub put two torps into a big tanker near Brunei,
sending it under.)

Any troops or just supplies? or do you think they were empty and returning?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3910
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 2:46:26 PM   
Canoerebel

No troops, so either empty or carrying fuel or supplies.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 3911
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 6:35:54 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

No troops, so either empty or carrying fuel or supplies.

And worth far more to your war effort in terms of his future expenditures than the simple VP points. He's been skating on air search, ASW (no doubt), probably deep CAP and thus getting freebies for the front lines.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3912
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 6:43:32 PM   
Canoerebel

I hope so. I think so.

Did I mention that this isn't the only TF deep in enemy territory? Another with three USN DDs has Iwo Jima in its review mirrors. It's heading for a point SW of Tokyo. If it doesn't strike paydirt there (and if it eludes detection, which is unlikely with John aroused now, but not impossible since he may focus on the DEI and forget for a moment about the Home Islands) it might try Hong Kong.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3913
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 6:48:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I hope so. I think so.

Did I mention that this isn't the only TF deep in enemy territory? Another with three USN DDs has Iwo Jima in its review mirrors. It's heading for a point SW of Tokyo. If it doesn't strike paydirt there (and if it eludes detection, which is unlikely with John aroused now, but not impossible since he may focus on the DEI and forget for a moment about the Home Islands) it might try Hong Kong.

Pescadores is often good, but probably mined.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3914
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 6:49:07 PM   
witpqs

Wow - fuel must be an issue for them. Where did they come in from? Did you provide oiler support?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3915
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/5/2016 8:12:49 PM   
Canoerebel

I've had three USN destroyer raiding forces deployed. Here's their stories:

1. The four DDs that just raided Balikpapan had been stationed SE of Soerbaja, in the Indian Ocean, at or prior to the invasion of Sumatra. In the two-year sabbatical from the game, I forgot about them. When we resumed the game on 1/1/43, I didn't even know they were there until they encountered an IJ supply convoy (mostly xAKLs) and sank most of them. I figured John would be alerted by that event. The DDs retired to Perth to refuel and reprovision. Then I sent them north again just to see what detection levels might be like. When they arrived on station in the IO without detection, I decided to try the Java Sea. They're out of ammo now, so they'll have to retire to Perth to rearm. But I did station two xAKs in the IO to refuel, just in case that became an issue. And it may - the DDs may need to use some flank speed to clear the area before John can pounce.

2. A three DD TF left Pearl perhaps ten days ago, refueled at Midway, and proceeded past Wake, Marcus and Iwo without detection. It's a day or two from a patrol station just SW of Tokyo, though I will monitor detection. I may divert to the narrows between the PI and Okinawa or on to Hong Kong, depending on what happens now.

3. A two DD TF left Prince Rupert, refueled at Kodiak, and was heading towards Hokkaido via a roundabout course when it was sighted a few days back by IJ nav search out of Umnak Island. I turned the TF around south. It was in such a position at the moment of detection that I thought it likely that John would be more focused on the Aleutians than elsewhere. I think that's accurate. (The Allies recently ramped up recon of Japanese-held Aleut islands to give the appearance of impending action there, what with the winter conditions soon to end).

I think my use of raiders will prompt John to a shock-and-awe type of response. He is likely to employ raiders of his own. He may also send carriers out. So I've been taking steps to protect my ports, especially exposed ones like Pago Pago and Christmas Island.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3916
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/6/2016 11:18:21 PM   
Canoerebel

Battle of Burma map. I apologize for the layout - not my best work.

Yikes! In posting this it "shrunk"! So now it's useless in addition to being ugly. I'll see if I can fix it later.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/7/2016 12:19:44 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3917
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:30:54 AM   
BBfanboy

The map is good. Several of us have taken to keeping a magnifying glass next to our computer screens!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3918
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 4:06:54 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The map is good. Several of us have taken to keeping a magnifying glass next to our computer screens!

Why would you do that when you can simply buy a bigger computer screen?? :P

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3919
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 11:32:43 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Why would you do that when you can simply buy a bigger computer screen?? :P

Bigger monitors tend to make things smaller, not larger as they default to higher resolutions.

MY 24" monitor is rather old with a max and default res of 1680x1050. If I run the game at that resolution, I definitely need a magnifying glass.

I tend to run the game at 1024x768 so I can actually see the unit icons.

On my laptop I run it at 1366x768

Hans

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 3920
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 2:18:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Raid Over Singapore. 12 B-24s that made quite an impact on Sumatra Campaign and the war.

P.S. I'll post a better map later, when I figure out what I'm doing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3921
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 2:50:26 PM   
jwolf

I'll bet that got his attention! Nice work!

No CAP?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3922
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:21:42 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Raid Over Singapore. 12 B-24s that made quite an impact on Sumatra Campaign and the war.

Oh, that is bloody brilliant!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3923
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:22:14 PM   
Canoerebel

There were 20 Tojos on CAP. The interaction between them and the Liberators was almost nil, so I think they must have been posted too high or too low.

Alhtough Singapore has been within range of Allied bases since early in the campaign, I purposesly didn't target the base in any way. There were many reasons, the most important being I didn't want to expend "surprise" unless I felt it was worth it.

I did begin reconning the base with F-4s beginning a week or so back. I hoped it would force John to divert fighters to CAP there and take some heat off Saban. Recon continued to show minimal fighter presence at the base (I think it showed just one!) with lots of bombers. There was also shipping present, but nothing larger than CAs as best I could tell.

You'll recall a few days back enemy carriers fresh from the IO were sighted NE of Singers as though retiring to Hong Kong, Manila or the Home Islands. Recon continued to showed no carriers at Singers and few fighters.

Since there were few fighters, I figured there weren't any high-value targets at the base. But I thought a raid might get through and damage some xAKs, an event that would more likely persuade John to increase the CAP. So I brought in the B-24 squadron from Cox's Bazaar, replaced its commander with a high-aggression one, and set it to Port Attack, Singapore.

You can imagine my surprise when this happened.

Can you imagine John's state of mind right now?

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3924
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:27:07 PM   
Canoerebel

The carriers at Singers were the only Japanese ships damaged by an Allied attack during the day. Late in the turn, I heard the sounds of sinking. There is a chance Hiyo went under. I'm going to compare the points lost totals for this turn and yesterday's turn, plus aircraft losses (for signs that Kates or Vals or A6M5s destroyed) for evidence.

More about the implications of this attack later. These are far above and beyond the damage inflicted.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3925
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:34:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

At least ten carriers in port and a CAP of 20?!

Live by offense, die by offense.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3926
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:35:13 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3927
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:37:45 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

The "Next war" modification is in the works .. in a "Guns of the South" fantasy modification aliens arm the IJN
with Phalanx Point Defense weapons systems

I assess that this KB division is out of action .. the ships taking one bomb hit for 2 weeks at least? .. any messages
about major damage one those 1 hitters?

Now the "Hiyro" is in deep trouble as you know .. if she survives the fires.. she will first need a very long time on a pier . and an
arduous journey to a sizeable dry dock .. Akagi will need a couple of months work it looks like but again I don't
know about major damage messages ..??

With this many CV's/CVE's out ... I foresee John having to play "whack-a-mole" as threats show up where the rest of the KB are not ..
he might even have to keep his offense where he has land based air until he sorts out his losses ..

Those 2 carriers will not be able to unload aircraft until those fires are out ..I await aircraft ground losses to confirm sinking ..

What a turn of events!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3928
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:38:30 PM   
Lecivius

This one attack may well be the tipping point in the war. It will blunt his best offensive weapon, and do damage to his psyche.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3929
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/7/2016 3:49:26 PM   
witpqs

Wow. Bravo - I understand you didn't know they were there, but you made a good call on the recon and situation and put yourself in a position to benefit from good luck.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3930
Page:   <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  129 130 [131] 132 133   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI