Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 6:11:32 PM   
Canoerebel

John used night bombers at Sabang on the 19th (30 or 40 Betties). This caught me by surprise. Not that they were effective - they weren't. But I told John again over the past few days that my understanding was that we had mutually agreed not to use them back in 2103 (later I found that post from July 2013 as quoted above, which covers the issue pretty well). At a minimum, I would have expected him to approach me for clarification before proceeding. I am surprised that he didn't do so. In fact, I am disappointed. I won't express my disappointment to him. I will ask him for clarification of what rules we are operating under, if any. Then I'll bide my time and one day get even.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4201
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 6:22:50 PM   
Canoerebel

2/19/42

A great deal of sync issues this turn (for instance, my replay showed Pensacola eating a TT south of Ceylon - but she's now well SW of Ceylon with no issues. Also, the replay didn't show Wichita taking damage, but the Combat Report shows her taking a TT from a Nell coming in from Port Blair. So I'm hampered a bit in understanding exactly what's going on. I'll do my best to report. Overall I think today went well for the Allies.

Battle of Sumatra: First came the night-bombing Bettys targeting Sabang airfield. I had a few Beaufightes up. Flak and the fighters got a few bombers, harrassed the rest, and there were not hits. (My concerns about John employing night bombers are addressed in my previous post.)

The IJN battlewagons didn't return, thank goodness, but a CL/DD combat TF did. CL Tama and two DDs hit mines and then tangled with the Birmingham led TF (the meager walking wounded TF left to defend port). I think Tama ultimately went under after taking further damage. I think, but I'm not sure, that the Allies lost one DD to a sub and Judys from KB. Wichita took damage from Nells and is disbanded in port with Hawkins. They are not capable of fighting. But CL Cleveland and a DD or two, also walking wounded, have joined Cl Birmingham to defend the port. It's not much, but it might hold off the wolves until the enemy BBs come back. Man, I hope that's three or four days or more.

So we have four mine hits in two days. May the mines play a bigger role in events yet to come.

Massed enemy sweeps of Sabang. Again sync issues leave me confused. Overall, the Allies did okay, I think. This time John used lots of Zeros, which seemed to do well. Also, there were several Nettie raids from Port Blair. But for reasons I cannot fathom, John employed his bombers en masse against Langsa, doing little if any damage to anything except the airfield. I figured he'd go all out against Sabang, but by dividing his forces he doesn't quite have his foot squarely on my neck.

I do note increased numbers of IJ units at Medan. That suggests John may prefer an overland campaign. He'll have to get through the hex south of Langsa, where the Allies have something like 1500 AV with several divisions behind three forts. More importantly, an overland campaign takes the maximum amount of time.

4EB from Ramree Island targeted Mergui port and scored a hit on an AV (sync originally showed several other similar ships hit).

Allied combat TFs have spread out hoping for a window to head to Sabang at flank speed, but of course John will employ the KB to prevent that from happening. So this is going to be the status quo for awhile. More dark days. A very tough campaign.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/26/2016 7:24:39 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4202
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 6:47:15 PM   
Lecivius

I read both AAR's, and I am 100% terrified of breaking OpSec, even by enuendo or accident. I tossed in a suggestion with the fighters conversion because that is an existing mechanics question that you asked. The CAP question is as well, as all I am doing is trying to improve your mechanics of what you already have in place, as well as my understanding of what you have in place & how it operates.

That said, a call to John would help.

Before you do, and staying withing game past historical mechanics, do you want to? He came at you with 40 bombers. "Flak and the fighters got a few bombers, harrassed the rest, and there were not hits" I would hope that type of attrition continues, and you would not want to change to a perhaps more effective daytime bombing campaign. Just thinkin....

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4203
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 6:53:04 PM   
Canoerebel

Lecivius, I"m not sure what to do. I told John my understanding was that we agreed not to use night bombers. The he uses night bombers.

Now I don't know what he's capable of doing. I made it clear to him that my understanding was that we wouldn't use night bomber. Then I sent him the quote from my AAR (which did seem to leave open nuisance use, although that's pretty vague). I would have expected him to seek clarification before sending in 30 or 40, which clearly exceeds nuisance numbers (though the effect turned out to be nuisance only).

Yeah, I'm disappointed in John.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4204
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 6:54:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Mind you, not disappointed enough to want to make it an issue with him. I think I might just let it lie.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4205
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 7:27:52 PM   
Lecivius

I can & will say "The game is Reluctant Admiral's new edition in the 5.0 format. It is a Da Babes-Based Mod".

Triple A is your friend in Da Babes. I hear 4E's come to hate the stuff.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4206
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 7:49:05 PM   
Andav

When will he be back? There are probably smart people who can figure this out exactly. It always seemed like voodoo to me.

It is 16 hexes from Singapore to Sabang. I assume this is where he will have to rearm the BBs. They would move back to Singapore (2 day). Rearm (1 day) and then back into position to bombard (so 10 hexes 1 day) and then bombard the next. So maybe 5 days? Maybe 4? Subs all along this route, especially 6 hexes out, will help slow things down.

Wa

< Message edited by Andav -- 1/26/2016 9:00:29 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4207
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:15:17 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm guesing for to six days on rearming (though he might have an AKE closer). Usually my nav search picks them up a day before they come back. I'm counting on that right now. For instance, I do not expect them back next turn, so I'm leaving my fighters in place and my walking-wounded TF to protect the port. When the BBs head back this way, I'll have to decide what to do.

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 4208
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:17:47 PM   
Canoerebel

Speaking of AA it has proven very effective in this game to date. In particular the Brit/Indian units with the 3.7cm guns have proven devastating. A concentration of those guns at Ramree Island persuaded John to stop bombing despite there being no CAP.

Do the USA AA units (coastal artillery) have something similar to (or even better than) the 3.7cm? I think the US units have 90mm and something like 40mm guns with others included. I'm hoping the 90mm will be as good or better than the 3.7. Anyone know?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4209
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:26:13 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The airfield is in bad shape - 78 runway damage and about 56 airfield service. That's bad.

Playing the Downfall scenario I've made 100+ B-29 strikes on Lvl 9 airfields that haven't come close to that much damage. That is a huge amount of damage to a Lvl 9 airfield from relatively few ships. Bombardments of large airfields are supposed to be less effective due to them representing multiple landing strips and greater dispersion of aircraft. Your opponent should count his blessings.

How much damage was done to the port?

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4210
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:28:33 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Speaking of AA it has proven very effective in this game to date. In particular the Brit/Indian units with the 3.7cm guns have proven devastating. A concentration of those guns at Ramree Island persuaded John to stop bombing despite there being no CAP.

Do the USA AA units (coastal artillery) have something similar to (or even better than) the 3.7cm? I think the US units have 90mm and something like 40mm guns with others included. I'm hoping the 90mm will be as good or better than the 3.7. Anyone know?

Can't answer specifics about AA gun type effectiveness, but I wanted to add that in stock the Kiwis get several AA brigades that are awesome.

Not sure if they are in this mod,but it's worth a look.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4211
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:31:31 PM   
Canoerebel

Poode, immense damage was done to the airfield but none to the port, supplies or ground troops. It's a level 9 field with 1150 Aviation support and it had roughly 500 fighters, 20 4EB, and a few recon/patrol planes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

quote:

The airfield is in bad shape - 78 runway damage and about 56 airfield service. That's bad.

Playing the Downfall scenario I've made 100+ B-29 strikes on Lvl 9 airfields that haven't come close to that much damage. That is a huge amount of damage to a Lvl 9 airfield from relatively few ships. Bombardments of large airfields are supposed to be less effective due to them representing multiple landing strips and greater dispersion of aircraft. Your opponent should count his blessings.

How much damage was done to the port?

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 4212
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 8:33:00 PM   
Canoerebel

Hans, the Brits/Indians also get a big AA brigade (it begins at Ceylon). That unit is currently at Ramree Island. One of the two Kiwi brigades is currently enroute to theater from New Zealand, though actually getting her into port will be problematic. If I can get her in, then conditions are probably such that she isn't needed anymore. :) But I will try.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

Can't answer specifics about AA gun type effectiveness, but I wanted to add that in stock the Kiwis get several AA brigades that are awesome.

Not sure if they are in this mod,but it's worth a look.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4213
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 11:15:12 PM   
Lowpe

Indiana went down swinging eh?

You were definitely outgunned, but it seems the Allied navy did very well. It is up to the next few weeks to determine who really won.

Kudos for fighting so early and hard.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4214
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 11:31:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Without looking at the data on each gun, I am pretty sure the US 90mm is at least as good as the British 3.7" AA gun. 90mm is practically the same caliber as 3.7". Both are high velocity weapons with high ceiling and great accuracy.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4215
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/26/2016 11:32:25 PM   
Canoerebel

Yup, she went down swinging. I've lost track of all the ships I've lost and I'm in the shadows about Japan, but I think the Kaigun is bleeding a bit. The problem is the Kaigun is present in numbers while I'm down to those walking wounded in the hospital at Rourke's Drift in Zulu.

This is more fun than should be legal. Every turn is epic. Every time I sit down to watch the turn replay it's worth the price of admission to the best movies ever made. And I paid for this game some seven years ago?

But the coast? Sleep. Or lack of it. Man, I can't sleep at night. And it's not just occasionally. We jumped right back into the frying pan and it hasn't let up since.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4216
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 1:20:41 AM   
Canoerebel

The Allies are in a tight spot. The best hope is friction. Friction of distance. Each trip by IJN BBs up "the slot" from Singers and them back down involves some friction - some risk that an Allied asset will strike. The main hopes are mines and subs. I think Japan has employed seven BBs in this operation and is now down to five (the other two damaged pretty severely). We need the mines or subs to damage another one or two...and then John may begin to sweat the cost. And if it gets harder, he'll begin to lose his relish for the fight. For, above all things, John loves his ships.

So friction is my friend. But it's not a reliable friend sure to come when I need her most. She's fickle that way.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/27/2016 2:22:28 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4217
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 1:38:36 AM   
ny59giants

The thing I'm trying to learn about and get a better handle on is, 'how to gain valuable night experience for my new American warships without getting them sunk or seriously damaged?' Its nice to see the new Fletchers, Clevelands, and 28 knot BBs come in, but I have to double check their captains and look at their experience levels when they arrive. I shake my head when I see their night is in the low 30s. John loves to use his warships and many have gained even more experience than you can deal with easily. You will need to be more aware of this as he will come back after a short visit to Singapore to replenish his warships.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4218
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 1:42:16 AM   
Canoerebel

There's nothing to meet him when he returns from Singers, so it won't be an issue for awhile. But gaining night experience won't be a luxury I can afford. I've got to get my best ships and best captains to Sabang if and when the KB provides a window. That might never happen.

The Allies have out-performed the Kaigun in most surface combat battles in this game to date. Especially in several sharp engagements in Assam back in mid 1942. Most of the ship crews in the recent action had decent nighttime experience (60 to 70).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/27/2016 2:43:49 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4219
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 1:48:08 AM   
Canoerebel

With the KB in a blocking position, these are my options right now:

1. Flood the KB with merchant ships to soak off sorties. Then send combat ships to Sabang. This I won't do on general principles. Nemo, a crafty tactician, would do so without hesitation. But I'd hate that if it was done to me and I'm sure John would hate it if I did it to him.

2. Bring in the American carriers. No can do. I currently have five and fighter numbers are low. The odds of success would be remote.

3. Hunker down and take punishment until something gives, if ever. Let mines and subs do some work. There's lots of supply to work with. Try to dance with the CL Cleveland and Birmingham TF to prevent these last ships from getting wiped out. Even if John shuts down the airfield, he still has work to do to get to Sabang and take it.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/27/2016 2:49:38 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4220
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 4:46:35 AM   
JeffroK

Its 1943, when are you allowed to drop mines by air???

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4221
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 4:56:57 AM   
Alfred

The game engine allows it from 1 Jan 1943.

Alfred

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4222
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 5:43:57 AM   
JeffroK

Thanks Alfred, I thought it was sometime in 1943.

Could be a useful tactic to plant some in all Malayan/Sumatran ports and you make pick up a hit or two. At the least JIII will have to make sure he has AM in every port.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4223
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 11:14:02 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks JeffK (and Alfred). Great idea! Now I just need the airfield operational to employ it! (Fighters are getting up in fair numbers, but my 4EB at Sabang were trashed in the nuclear bombardment.)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4224
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 11:16:39 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, BB, that's what I'd hoped. I think I have something like 100 3.7 inch (or is it cm?) guns at Ramree Island. About a week ago, John came in with a host of Sallys and Helens. There was no CAP. The AA there downed at least 20 of the bombers, and John hasn't sent them back.

I probably have roughly a similar number at Sabang - not enough to stop massed bombing raids in the short term, but enough to make it costly over the long term. I hope.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Without looking at the data on each gun, I am pretty sure the US 90mm is at least as good as the British 3.7" AA gun. 90mm is practically the same caliber as 3.7". Both are high velocity weapons with high ceiling and great accuracy.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/27/2016 12:18:02 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4225
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 2:21:46 PM   
Lecivius

John cannot keep KB on station indefinitely. He simply does not have the fuel. It does help that he is so close to his fuel source. But he is burning gas to stay on station. Also, he loves fighters, at the cost of his bomber pool. Historically, he produces bombers but not in the numbers he produces fighters. If you can come up with a way to get a few serious AA units into Sabang, you make him one dimensional. His navy. Some strike aircraft on short range naval missions will make that dangerous & force him to LRCAP instead of Sweep. Then it's Game Over for Sabang.

It's 43. The tide is turning. He nuked you, but your engineers should be able to put things to right in short order provided his bombers stay off you. I seriously think if you can hang in there a few more months, you can "grab him by the nose, and kick him in the a$$". Let him play Stonewall. This was Patton's war

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4226
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 3:16:52 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

John cannot keep KB on station indefinitely. He simply does not have the fuel. It does help that he is so close to his fuel source. But he is burning gas to stay on station. Also, he loves fighters, at the cost of his bomber pool. Historically, he produces bombers but not in the numbers he produces fighters. If you can come up with a way to get a few serious AA units into Sabang, you make him one dimensional. His navy. Some strike aircraft on short range naval missions will make that dangerous & force him to LRCAP instead of Sweep. Then it's Game Over for Sabang.

It's 43. The tide is turning. He nuked you, but your engineers should be able to put things to right in short order provided his bombers stay off you. I seriously think if you can hang in there a few more months, you can "grab him by the nose, and kick him in the a$$". Let him play Stonewall. This was Patton's war

Good points. A whole back he stated he has something like 1100 aviation support.

That likely also means he has an astronomical number of engineers.

Both the damage to the facilities and the airframes can be repaired "almost" overnight.

John will need a sustained daily campaign to keep a facility of this magnitude suppressed.

Hans

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4227
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 3:19:58 PM   
Canoerebel

The Allies do have a good bit of AA at Sabang - three USA Coastal Artillery and about five Brit/Indian units (two of which are light). Oveall, AA should be decent but not whithering.

John isn't Stonewall Jackson. I think he's a mixture of John McCellan and John Hood. He's aggressive, like Hood, but he's modeately cautious about sending his ships into harm's way, as McClellan was with his troops. John isn't Robert E. Lee, who said words to this effect: "A general must be willing to destroy that which he loves best."

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4228
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 3:22:23 PM   
Canoerebel

Hans, one of the confusing things about that nuclear bombardment is that the engineers aren't repairing damage expeditiously. I do have a ton of them there, but the airfield only improved from 79 damage to 72 damage a day after the attack. That suprises me.

There were other surprises - while the bombardment torched the airfield and aircraft it didn't touch supply, the port (and ships) and the ground troops.

Oddities abound, but that's the nature of war. :)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4229
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 1/27/2016 3:28:37 PM   
Canoerebel

Some weeks ago, I offered odds on the Allies holding Sabang in viable shape until the Hellcats become available as 15% to 20%. The odds rose thereafter during some of the heady days when things went well. At the moment, I'd put the odds at probably 33% - which is somewhat better than you might expect. Why?

First, why 67% likely that the Allies can't hold? Japan rules the roost at the moment and things do look pretty bleak. John will be able to engage in multiple bombardment runs before I can hope to get ships there, and I might not can afford to get ships there if the airfield is torched so that they have no cover. Sabang is vulnerable and things do look bleak.

So why a relatively "optimistic" 33% chance of success? Because despite John's numerical superiority and the Allies' vulnerability right now, John has a long way to go towards vanquishing this base. He's likely to close the airfield soon. Even then, it will take him a long time by ground to reach the base and take it. To reduce that time he'll have to invade Langsa soon or chance an invasion of Sabang directly. And each day, each activity, involves friction that should attrit his assets somewhat - mines, subs, AA, and ground troops that should be well supplied for weeks to come. Most importantly of all, we're now at February 20. He has about 39 days (plus a few more as it will take some time to get Hellcats up and running).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/27/2016 4:30:42 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4230
Page:   <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI