Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 12:28:29 AM   
DW

With John's carriers nosing around Diego, do you think it's likely that he's got some oilers in the Indian Ocean too?

I believe you're concentrating forces in W. Australia. If you've some cruisers hanging about, it might be a good idea to send a few out and have a look around likely areas where AOs might be loitering and see if you can perhaps ambush them.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4591
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 3:53:58 AM   
crsutton

Hey Dan, Did not know you were so active and resumed this AAR. Just have not been looking in here much in the past few months. Really since Greyjoy and Obvert ended their game. I will spend a few days and catch up and then you can rely on me to give you all sorts of sage and unsolicited advice.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 4592
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 2:39:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Hey Dan, Did not know you were so active and resumed this AAR. Just have not been looking in here much in the past few months. Really since Greyjoy and Obvert ended their game. I will spend a few days and catch up and then you can rely on me to give you all sorts of sage and unsolicited advice.

Lets not say ended just yet. Suspended, maybe.

I've not tried to contact Nick in a while and will let him decide if he wants to continue.

I was surprised and delighted to find this game resumed when I checked this week. Looks like there will be plenty more fireworks here to come!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4593
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 6:22:39 PM   
Canoerebel

4/1/43

Good to see old timers back. Glad you gents are here.

Battle of Sumatra: Four Sisters bombard Sabang. There are (at least) four units advancing up the west road. I think there will be three infantry divisions and a tank division. Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.

On the east side, 16 units at Medan now, and IJA bombers target the Allied stack in the jungle hex south of Langsa. This is the first time John's targeted this hex in well over a month. I think he's coming this way. The Allies have 1150 AV in jungle terrain, with two infantry divisions having three forts, the other having two forts.

No sign of enemy amphibious assault, which is important. John can prevail in a ground campaign, but an amphibious assault offered the faster route to victory.

Battle of Burma: The battle lines are shaping up near Lashio. John bombed a Chinese city (the one between Kunming and Paotung), possibly feeling if it was occupied, and probably considering para assault. 22nd New Chinese Div. is there.

KB: No sign of it today.

April 1, 1943: The calendar has flipped and suddenly the Allies have four Hellcats in the pools. Since we resumed the game, this was the focal date. If the Allies still held Sabang in usable condition as of this date, the Hellcats would come online, making it possible to face Japan in the air. The current status is a hybrid - Sabang isn't in usable condition, but the Allied ground defenses are stout and there's plenty of supply. Japan has to keep bombarding to maintain suppression. If John miscalculates, the Allies could get the field up and running in short order. But now the key question is whether Sabang keeps John preoccupied long enough for Operation Circus to benefit from the distraction. It'll probably be a close thing, but it's not a pipe dream.

Operation Circus: This is the code name for the next Allied operation, which will originate from SWPac. I've identified preferred targets but they may change depending on SigInt. There are two primary targets, with Peanuts 1 through 4 prepping for the first and Cotton Candy 1 through 3 prepping for the second. 2nd Marine Division is in place. 6th, 7th, and 8th Australian Divisions, after extricating from Burma, are on the way. The last of these could reach Oz in about 45 to 50 days. I've been stockpiling PP, which are now up to 3965. In another month, I'll have enough to buy out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Australian Divisions and some restricted support units. The invasions will involve at least seven divisions and possibly one or two others depending on PP and time of transit to the staging ports.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/20/2016 7:24:27 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4594
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 7:51:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.

Sounds dicey, given the shape that you described for the division plus air supremacy for the offense. Some reinforcement would be best.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4595
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 8:03:41 PM   
Lowpe

Give us another picture of Sabang and environs, pretty please.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 4596
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 9:30:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Canoerebel: Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks?

I looked in the editor to see what gives with the tanks.

An M3 Stuart has armour value 45, anti-armour value 70, anti-soft 28 and range 1, accuracy 9
An M5 Stuart has armour value 60, anti-armour value 70, anti-soft 28 and range 1, accuracy 9

A Type 95 Light Tank has armour value 30, anti-armour value 50, anti-soft 13 and range 1, accuracy 7
A Type 89A Medium Tank has armour value 30, anti-armour value 50, anti-soft 24 and range 1, accuracy 7

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4597
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 9:37:23 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

4/1/43

Good to see old timers back. Glad you gents are here.

Battle of Sumatra: Four Sisters bombard Sabang. There are (at least) four units advancing up the west road. I think there will be three infantry divisions and a tank division. Can 1st Marines hold against such a force in jungle-rough terrain with help from some Stuart tanks? I'm not sure.

On the east side, 16 units at Medan now, and IJA bombers target the Allied stack in the jungle hex south of Langsa. This is the first time John's targeted this hex in well over a month. I think he's coming this way. The Allies have 1150 AV in jungle terrain, with two infantry divisions having three forts, the other having two forts.

No sign of enemy amphibious assault, which is important. John can prevail in a ground campaign, but an amphibious assault offered the faster route to victory.

Battle of Burma: The battle lines are shaping up near Lashio. John bombed a Chinese city (the one between Kunming and Paotung), possibly feeling if it was occupied, and probably considering para assault. 22nd New Chinese Div. is there.

KB: No sign of it today.

April 1, 1943: The calendar has flipped and suddenly the Allies have four Hellcats in the pools. Since we resumed the game, this was the focal date. If the Allies still held Sabang in usable condition as of this date, the Hellcats would come online, making it possible to face Japan in the air. The current status is a hybrid - Sabang isn't in usable condition, but the Allied ground defenses are stout and there's plenty of supply. Japan has to keep bombarding to maintain suppression. If John miscalculates, the Allies could get the field up and running in short order. But now the key question is whether Sabang keeps John preoccupied long enough for Operation Circus to benefit from the distraction. It'll probably be a close thing, but it's not a pipe dream.

Operation Circus: This is the code name for the next Allied operation, which will originate from SWPac. I've identified preferred targets but they may change depending on SigInt. There are two primary targets, with Peanuts 1 through 4 prepping for the first and Cotton Candy 1 through 3 prepping for the second. 2nd Marine Division is in place. 6th, 7th, and 8th Australian Divisions, after extricating from Burma, are on the way. The last of these could reach Oz in about 45 to 50 days. I've been stockpiling PP, which are now up to 3965. In another month, I'll have enough to buy out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Australian Divisions and some restricted support units. The invasions will involve at least seven divisions and possibly one or two others depending on PP and time of transit to the staging ports.

If the Australian divisions are bought out under the first or second Australian Corps then the cost is significantly lower. You should have the PP to do it now. Unless RA has altered that or house rules prevent it.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4598
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 9:43:21 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm having fits getting sharp images due to unfamiliarity with my bigger screen and how it impacts image reproduction, but here's a shot at the up-to-date situation in Sumatra.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/20/2016 11:02:46 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4599
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 9:49:28 PM   
Lowpe

Thanks,helps so much.

Try cropping?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4600
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 9:53:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Thanks,helps so much.

Try cropping?

CR's scissors have difficulty cutting his monitor screen ....

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4601
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/20/2016 10:02:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, it worked! Per Lowpe's suggestion, I tried cropping it. And it turned out quite nicely. Now I think I can resume posting maps and photos and the like.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4602
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 1:00:41 AM   
Canoerebel

4/2/43

Battle of Sumatra: Enemy hasn't advanced on the west side yet. It's been 17 days since the first unit showed on the screen, so time is ticking.

On the east side, another IJA unit has reached the contested hex - the first reinforcement there since the campaign started in early January. A US arty unit will bombard tomorrow to see what's up, but it looks like this will be the other vector of attack. The hope - not yet mounting to an expectation or a certainty - is that John commits enough to these two ground assaults that he doesn't have sufficient left for an amphibious operation.

Kongos bombard Sabang; two BBs bombard Langsa. Bombers also hit the Allied units moving down the west road - a first.

Decisions are made regarding medium term plans for the Allied carriers. I won't go into details, but the choices were whether to support Sabang or Operation Circus or both.

Evaluating the Sumatra Campaign: When we resumed the game with the 1/3/43 turn, I had grave doubts as to whether the Allies could hold long given the glaring problems with the fighter pools. It's too early to declare winners and losers yet, but for the Allies to hold this long in some strength, with probably 30 to 60 days of campaigning left, has been very helpful. When all is said and done, John will have concentrated almost exclusively on Sumatra for at least five months, probably six, and maybe into a seventh. Both sides will have lost a lot of aircraft and ships. The Allies will - if things go south - have lost many more ground troops. But ground troops aren't usually in short supply. And the argument can be made that a six-month hiatus in Japanese initiative was worth the cost.

In the meantime, my biggest hope is that John will commit in force somewhere that won't hurt the Allies strategically. A perfect example was the 1944 invasion of India in our previous game. A massive use of precious resources that just didn't affect the Allies one way or the other. At this point, there is only one place that major Japanese offensive activity would pose a problem for the Allies, and lots of places it just wouldn't matter long term. Right now there are no signs of looming Japanese offensive activity. But what about when (and if) Sumatra winds down and John finds himself with 10 or 15 divisions. Does he cast a glance at Ceylon or NE India or Oz? I wonder.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/21/2016 2:05:23 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4603
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 1:03:16 AM   
Canoerebel

Oops, double post.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/21/2016 2:05:46 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4604
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 4:06:11 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Oops, double post.

I'll fill it out for you!

OK, that nice screen pic (your computer work is improving!) invalidated my mental picture of the situation. I had thought that 1st USMC Div's position was much farther back, maybe adjacent to Sabang.

Now you are in danger of having your forces lured forward - baited - by actions on both sides of the island. Then a coup de main amphibious landing at Sabang will have much less to face.

When pulling various forces out of Sabang and sending them more than a short journey away, you are betting Sabang's fate on your estimate of what strength John can bring to bear in an amphibious invasion directly at Sabang. You might be right, you might be wrong.

I sure don't know the answer.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 2/21/2016 6:58:50 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4605
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 2:38:07 PM   
crsutton

quote:

4/2/43

Battle of Sumatra: Enemy hasn't advanced on the west side yet. It's been 17 days since the first unit showed on the screen, so time is ticking.

On the east side, another IJA unit has reached the contested hex - the first reinforcement there since the campaign started in early January. A US arty unit will bombard tomorrow to see what's up, but it looks like this will be the other vector of attack. The hope - not yet mounting to an expectation or a certainty - is that John commits enough to these two ground assaults that he doesn't have sufficient left for an amphibious operation.

Kongos bombard Sabang; two BBs bombard Langsa. Bombers also hit the Allied units moving down the west road - a first.

Decisions are made regarding medium term plans for the Allied carriers. I won't go into details, but the choices were whether to support Sabang or Operation Circus or both.

Evaluating the Sumatra Campaign: When we resumed the game with the 1/3/43 turn, I had grave doubts as to whether the Allies could hold long given the glaring problems with the fighter pools. It's too early to declare winners and losers yet, but for the Allies to hold this long in some strength, with probably 30 to 60 days of campaigning left, has been very helpful. When all is said and done, John will have concentrated almost exclusively on Sumatra for at least five months, probably six, and maybe into a seventh. Both sides will have lost a lot of aircraft and ships. The Allies will - if things go south - have lost many more ground troops. But ground troops aren't usually in short supply. And the argument can be made that a six-month hiatus in Japanese initiative was worth the cost.

In the meantime, my biggest hope is that John will commit in force somewhere that won't hurt the Allies strategically. A perfect example was the 1944 invasion of India in our previous game. A massive use of precious resources that just didn't affect the Allies one way or the other. At this point, there is only one place that major Japanese offensive activity would pose a problem for the Allies, and lots of places it just wouldn't matter long term. Right now there are no signs of looming Japanese offensive activity. But what about when (and if) Sumatra winds down and John finds himself with 10 or 15 divisions. Does he cast a glance at Ceylon or NE India or Oz? I wonder.

Personally, I think John has pretty much lost the game-even if he throws you out. You are reaching a point where you can go ahead and fight a big carrier battle due to the fact that you will replace any losses by the end of the year. And you know John will have to use his fleet to throw you out or prevent you from fleeing.

It all comes down to flexibility. You have fixed him in place and he really has no choice to but to throw you out of Sumatra. Any other option will prematurely doom his oil. You on the other hand have options. You can fight him in Sumatra where a victory will seal his fate. Or, just move your carriers to the Pacific and grab another significant strong point while he works on Sumatra.

Another factor is if you can complete your 43 upgrades and get some medium tanks into action then his power on the ground will significantly diminish. Allied squads get monster boosts to their inherent AT value in 43. Once that happened Japanese tanks become all but useless. It becomes very tough for Japanese ground forces to conduct offensive operations after that.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 2/21/2016 3:42:22 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4606
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 3:15:56 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Personally, I think John has pretty much lost the game-even if he throws you out. You are reaching a point where you can go ahead and fight a big carrier battle due to the fact that you will replace any losses by the end of the year. And you know John will have to use his fleet to throw you out or prevent you from fleeing.

It all comes down to flexibility. You have fixed him in place and he really has no choice to but to throw you out of Sumatra. Any other option will prematurely doom his oil. You on the other hand have options. You can fight him in Sumatra where a victory will seal his fate. Or, just move your carriers to the Pacific and grab another significant strong point while he works on Sumatra.

Another factor is if you can complete your 43 upgrades and get some medium tanks into action then his power on the ground will significantly diminish. Allied squads get monster boosts to their inherent AT value in 43. Once that happened Japanese tanks become all but useless. It becomes very tough for Japanese ground forces to conduct offensive operations after that.

Hope springs eternal for Japan! As long as the KB is around, that is.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4607
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 4:43:40 PM   
Canoerebel

crsutton, several weeks back I was combing the entire AAR to find a particular house rule John and I were discussing several years ago. While doing so, I found a particularly insightful comment you had made, so I quoted it. Your post above offers good insight too. I just checked 1st Marine Division and found it has a full compliment of anti-tank weapons. In fact, it has a full compliment of everything except support and combat squads. But it's growing in strength and should be behind two forts in jungle-rough terrain by the time the enemy arrives. With its anti-tank weapons, and augmented by the tank battalion, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

witpqs is right on too. The balancing act is challenging - I want to slow John's advance, but I have to guard against the amphibious coup-de-main.

Regular readers will recall, just a page or two back, my discussion of allowing John to advance up the west coast road enough to give him confidence and to keep him coming so that he wouldn't grow desperate enough to try an amphibious operation. I would like to hold him in the next hex, at least for some time. By then he'll have advanced three hexes without stiff opposition and it will have taken him three weeks or more.

All the while, I have my eye on Sabang and how to get troops there post-haste in the event John does pull the coup-de-main.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4608
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 4:50:09 PM   
Canoerebel

4/3/43

Battle of Sumatra: No enemy bombardments today; enemy bombers concentrate on Langsa to little effect; some enemy units advanced from Japan to the jungle hex, but it's HQ types. Until John seriously commits to this hex, I'm holding units in Langsa as the strategic reserve for Sabang. The Allies have three divisions in the jungle hex between Langsa and Sabang. I think John will need at least six divisions to have a chance. Right now there are three.

No sign of KB. It does look like the Kongos are operating out of Sinabang and will hit Sabang tonight.

SWPac: Peanut 4 will arrive at Chittagong in two days; from there it's by rail to Bombay; thence to Capetown; thence to Oz. Operation Circus isn't going to wait for Peanut 4, but if it manages to arrive before the invasion fleets leave, all the better.

SoPac: An IJ naval guard unit is inbound to Ocean Island. This is complimentary to previous reports of a mixed brigade going to Tabituea. The Allies don't have aims over on that flank, but it makes sense for John to reinforce there given recent Allied activity in the Ellice Islands. I plan to feint in this region later, just before Operation Circus gets underway from SWPac.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4609
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 6:14:52 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

4/2/43

Having lost a significant portion of the KB quite a bit earlier than mid-43 (Dec 8 to be exact), I question your premise that a CV battle at this point will spell doom for the Japanese.

1. You assume John will take significant losses. Assuming he will be up to date on his airframes (with Judys, Jills and A6M5b/c) the Japanese aren't so easy to push over in mid-43. Plus naval tactics happen to be the man's strong point, as we all know too well.

2. The Japanese aren't potentially fixed in Sumatra for long. If he does knock out Allied troops (and destroy several major divisions that will be largely irreplaceable before 45 due to replacement rates) he can simply move divisions to reserve areas in already prepared defensive spots. I'm sure he hasn't been neglecting to build strong points and consider some rear defenses.

3. The Pacific requires lots of APA/AKA and ideally the LST/LCI that are just starting to come in numbers. I believe the APA/AKA are just now getting the majority converted. So the Pacific will be an option, but not if the Allies draw or lose a CV battle. LBA is strong in this mod, and the Japanese have extra fleet recources as well. On top of that he's got a bunch of those massive SNLF defense units with decent DP guns, much more than stock. It's not going to be easy.

4. Japanese tanks stil work into 44-45. If they're in good terrain they still aren't bad. From the two games that have gone deep fro me and a few late game tests H to H I can say that in spite of the stats, Japanese tank divisions are well designed for defensive purposes and can hold with forts in good terrain.

5. If John has lost this game, you might as well say every Japanese player has lost the game by mid-43.

It's still very up in the air, and to assume otherwise would not be good for the Allied prognosis. CR is preparing to move as he's just shown, but also has appropriate measures in place to lead John into a "tarbaby" if he follows his usual style. That is good play, preparing for your opponent's psychology, but you can't depend he'll blunder into something stupid and base strategy around that.

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/21/2016 7:20:38 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4610
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 6:29:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Those are good points, Obvert. Here are some thoughts:

1. There's no question that the Sumatra invasion stopped John dead in his tracks. There's been no IJ expansion since this came about. That's not all bad for John, as he's had plenty of targets close by, right there for the attacking. But it does mean that the Japanese perimeter isn't as far out as usually is in a John III game.

2. The real question now is whether the Allies are in a position to build on Sumatra while it's still serving as a distraction. It's going to be a close thing, I think.

3. I've given some consideration to the next major invasion being a reinforcement of Sumatra, but that's now far down on my list of options, simply because of the size of the enemy airfields, presence of enemy air HQs, and the massive number of enemy aircraft there. Far more likely that Circus will proceed as outlines previously.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4611
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 7:08:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

Those are good points, Obvert. Here are some thoughts:

1. There's no question that the Sumatra invasion stopped John dead in his tracks. There's been no IJ expansion since this came about. That's not all bad for John, as he's had plenty of targets close by, right there for the attacking. But it does mean that the Japanese perimeter isn't as far out as usually is in a John III game.

2. The real question now is whether the Allies are in a position to build on Sumatra while it's still serving as a distraction. It's going to be a close thing, I think.

3. I've given some consideration to the next major invasion being a reinforcement of Sumatra, but that's now far down on my list of options, simply because of the size of the enemy airfields, presence of enemy air HQs, and the massive number of enemy aircraft there. Far more likely that Circus will proceed as outlines previously.

John not having a deep perimeter is better for his economy and long term health of the Empire. It's fun, but not sustainable. Whether he's prepared a defense will be seen later.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4612
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 8:47:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Lots of intangibles too. The loss of Medan's oil; the length of time KB's been at sea; ditto the BBs; attrition to the Kaigun (especially cruisers and destroyers); moving men around, first to stop the invasions of Sumatra and Malaya, then back to Burma; etc. Intangibles like these are hard to evaluate in the short term and the long term. But, for instance, the last time I caught sight of a major enemy combat TF, all of the major vessels were showing smoke. IE, John's been operating pretty hard.

In contrast, the Allied fleet is largely rested. The only thing that's been stressed are those units on Sumatra. For awhile, especially back in January, I wondered what the Allied OOB might look like if the worst thing happened and John managed to vanquish Sumatra. Enough time has passed to look at that carefully. I'm not discounting the loss of those units - the divisions, HQs, engineers, base forces - but it's not going to degrade my ability to fight going forward. I won't have enough army left to vanquish the whole empire. But I will have what's needed to defeat the empire. Or so I believe.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4613
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 9:34:57 PM   
obvert

quote:

Lots of intangibles too. The loss of Medan's oil; the length of time KB's been at sea; ditto the BBs; attrition to the Kaigun (especially cruisers and destroyers); moving men around, first to stop the invasions of Sumatra and Malaya, then back to Burma; etc. Intangibles like these are hard to evaluate in the short term and the long term. But, for instance, the last time I caught sight of a major enemy combat TF, all of the major vessels were showing smoke. IE, John's been operating pretty hard.

In contrast, the Allied fleet is largely rested. The only thing that's been stressed are those units on Sumatra. For awhile, especially back in January, I wondered what the Allied OOB might look like if the worst thing happened and John managed to vanquish Sumatra. Enough time has passed to look at that carefully. I'm not discounting the loss of those units - the divisions, HQs, engineers, base forces - but it's not going to degrade my ability to fight going forward. I won't have enough army left to vanquish the whole empire. But I will have what's needed to defeat the empire. Or so I believe.

Good observations. I always say it's really the players who'll know how the opponent is doing, much more than the most experienced of us outside the game. It's the little things, if you notice them. The smoke from ships in combat, the odd results from airframes that should be better (poor pilot quality, airframe fatigue, inattention to leaders).

Medan is a big producer. Losing it for a year is a lot of oil, and getting it back at half former production furthers that blow. It's not a little bit of supply needed to evict Marine divisions and replace thousands of lost airframes, troop devices and of course the ships don't come back, so that is very measurable hurt.

These are all reasons why this is going to be an interesting year in your game! By the middle of 44 the effects should be clear for both sides.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4614
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 10:04:01 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Having lost a significant portion of the KB quite a bit earlier than mid-43 (Dec 8 to be exact), I question your premise that a CV battle at this point will spell doom for the Japanese.

1. You assume John will take significant losses. Assuming he will be up to date on his airframes (with Judys, Jills and A6M5b/c) the Japanese aren't so easy to push over in mid-43. Plus naval tactics happen to be the man's strong point, as we all know too well.

Well, in the end this is a naval game. I don't know how much stronger KB is in John's mod but there comes a time when as the Allies you have got to start trading carriers. No need for a smashing victory but I will take any fight with KB after mid 43 when I think I can trade.

2. The Japanese aren't potentially fixed in Sumatra for long. If he does knock out Allied troops (and destroy several major divisions that will be largely irreplaceable before 45 due to replacement rates) he can simply move divisions to reserve areas in already prepared defensive spots. I'm sure he hasn't been neglecting to build strong points and consider some rear defenses.

3. The Pacific requires lots of APA/AKA and ideally the LST/LCI that are just starting to come in numbers. I believe the APA/AKA are just now getting the majority converted. So the Pacific will be an option, but not if the Allies draw or lose a CV battle. LBA is strong in this mod, and the Japanese have extra fleet recources as well. On top of that he's got a bunch of those massive SNLF defense units with decent DP guns, much more than stock. It's not going to be easy.

Once again, I am not familiar with the mod but I am about six weeks ahead of this game in my own game and I am starting to swim in APAs and AKAs. They really start to come on in numbers. No shortage of LSTs either.

4. Japanese tanks stil work into 44-45. If they're in good terrain they still aren't bad. From the two games that have gone deep fro me and a few late game tests H to H I can say that in spite of the stats, Japanese tank divisions are well designed for defensive purposes and can hold with forts in good terrain.

No, I have not seen that vs Japanese tanks. Yes, defensively any dug in Japanese can be strong. But I was talking offensively. Just like the historical, once the Allies get the 1943 upgrades, it becomes very tough for the Japanese to fight offensively. Of course, air power still trumps.

5. If John has lost this game, you might as well say every Japanese player has lost the game by mid-43.

No but as Canoe points out, John is burning the candle too bright. This all comes back in 1945. I think a good conservative way to Allied victory is to force the Japanese to fight and grind in 43. The fuel and supply burn is not sustainable in the long run.

It's still very up in the air, and to assume otherwise would not be good for the Allied prognosis. CR is preparing to move as he's just shown, but also has appropriate measures in place to lead John into a "tarbaby" if he follows his usual style. That is good play, preparing for your opponent's psychology, but you can't depend he'll blunder into something stupid and base strategy around that.

I do agree with you about Japanese air parity. The Japanese air force should hold their own until 1944. If the data from DaBabes is being used in this mod, then the Jack and George have been way overpowered with both of them flying at 400 mph. This is a real problem as my opponent is crapping out Jacks in mid 43 like crazy. It is basically the same as a Frank now only it comes a hell of a lot sooner. Same with the George. In stock the Hellcat makes a great land based fighter. In this one it gets eaten alive. Even most of the Allied Corsairs have been nerfed to fly slower than 400 mph. Gotta be careful. The upside is that Allies AA is king. I bought out every heavy AA unit I could. Really makes Japanese bombers much less effective. To the point where I sometimes just don't bother with CAP over a base with good AA units.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4615
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 10:13:57 PM   
Canoerebel

That's the truth about AA. John has an entire air force sitting next to Ramree Island and faces no fighter opposition whatsoever. Yet he's afraid to bomb the base due to AA. So Allied operations will be bringing every AA unit available. That's part of the Longstreet Doctrine: Seize the high ground and then let the enemy attack and bleed.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4616
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 10:39:31 PM   
obvert

quote:

I do agree with you about Japanese air parity. The Japanese air force should hold their own until 1944. If the data from DaBabes is being used in this mod, then the Jack and George have been way overpowered with both of them flying at 400 mph. This is a real problem as my opponent is crapping out Jacks in mid 43 like crazy. It is basically the same as a Frank now only it comes a hell of a lot sooner. Same with the George. In stock the Hellcat makes a great land based fighter. In this one it gets eaten alive. Even most of the Allied Corsairs have been nerfed to fly slower than 400 mph. Gotta be careful. The upside is that Allies AA is king. I bought out every heavy AA unit I could. Really makes Japanese bombers much less effective. To the point where I sometimes just don't bother with CAP over a base with good AA units.

The Jack was a fantastic plane, and should have been slightly better than stock, but I agree, it's a bit better than is good for balance with Symon's new numbers. Production can be virtually unlimited, but of course there is a cost to the Japanese economy for everything.

Just looked through the sheet of changes in the scenario. Wow. I know the Allies get some stuff, but the Japanese get a whole new class of CV and lots of em. I'd have to compare OOBs but it looks like aruond 6 additional? A revised and improved Shokaku. Speaking of AA, they get more bette DDs earlier with enhanced AA.

All upgrades come earlier and with better AA including a Japanese Bofors system. There are also a bunch of units upgraded to 88mm guns fro the Japanese. New BCs, earlier arrival of virtually everything. A plethora of CD units and SNLFs can combine into brigades. It's nuts.

For CV air he'll have armored A6M3b in 43 and slightly after he'll get N1K4 "Georges" to play with, on CVs!!

The strike planes are also made in armored versions, (Grace and Judy), which is scary, and it gets worse at the end when you'll see an IJN LBA version of the Ki-83 plus an A7M3 with 6 x 20mm canons!!

i could go on, because the OOD change log list is 18 pages long, but I'll just link it. It's scary.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxyZWx1Y3RhbnRhZG1pcmFsfGd4Ojc1NzE5MmE3NmJhNjA3NDA

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/21/2016 11:44:32 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4617
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 11:18:41 PM   
ny59giants

No Jack in this mod or the other two mods. John wanted to streamline production as he voiced that Japan decides to go all in with the various Zero models.

In stock Japan gets 10 CVs as builds while in RA they get 8. After Junyo and Hiyo, they get 6 Shokaku-kai Class CVs vs 6 Unryu Class and no Taiyo or Shinano. They do get a few more CVLs.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 2/22/2016 12:43:21 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4618
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/21/2016 11:22:11 PM   
Lowpe

Matsu DDs, those late war builds, can be upgraded to carry Kaitens.

Oh,my. That will be interesting.

Plus the Liz...I always thought it might make a nice long range port strike platform

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4619
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/22/2016 2:01:09 AM   
poodlebrain

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

John not having a deep perimeter is better for his economy and long term health of the Empire. It's fun, but not sustainable. Whether he's prepared a defense will be seen later.

I don't think his perimeter is large enough to protect vital resource and oil centers into early 1944. He will be fighting to keep them operational and the lines of communication open to exploit them. It will be ugly for the Japanese as they won't be able to trade space for time. The Japanese will be like the Confderates in the Civil War, forced to fight wherever the Allies attack. Every combat loss being irreplaceable while the Allies keep adding more units. Eventually the military and economic losses will be too much and the Japanese defense will collapse.

I just hope John goes out with a bang instead of a whimper as an observer.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4620
Page:   <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI