Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  213 214 [215] 216 217   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:05:48 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe
As Gandalf said 'the deep breath before the plunge'

Waiting news with anticipation

I went back about five pages to search for this post. That's a memorable quote!

It reminded me when I read it two days ago that there's another scene in Lord of the Rings (The Return of the King) that stuck in my mind. Near the very end, after Frodo arrives back home with his companions, he gives a soliloquy on "how do you resume life at home after experiencing such stirring things" (very losely paraphrased).

The thought is a magnificent one. I've used it before when speaking to historic groups about the end of the Civil War. How does a captain who led troops into battle at Spotsylvania or Franklin return home, pick up a pitchfork, and resume life? What does he do when his wife scolds him ("Honey, you forgot to take out the trash again") or questions his judgment ("I don't think you should plant the north 40 with corn this year")? How do you go from battlefield command to taking out the trash?

Saturday, on the Appalachian Trail, we could dimly see in the distance the distinctive crown of Mount Yonah, near Cleveland, Georgia. I asked my three companions if they had ever heard of James Longstreet. My son had, of course, but the two young women, both college students, hadn't. So I told them a story about General Longstreet.

After the Civil War ended, Longstreet returned to civilian life in northeast Georgia. One day soon afterwards, he walked up Yonah. When he reached the top, he yielded himself to his raw emotions at having seen so much loss of life, so much suffering, and for it all to come to naught.

I read that account in a book many years ago. Since then I've tried to find it again so that I could cite it when speaking (and I plan to use it in writing at some point). But I've never been able to put my finger on that story again.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/18/2016 5:15:39 PM >

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 6421
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:08:10 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You haven't won the war. Japan still has an excellent chance to get a draw especially if you continue thinking like that and get sloppy.

The most dangerous animal is a wounded one.

I wasn't suggesting that I'd won the war. If you're reading through my comments as a whole, there are many instances in which I've noted exactly what you've said.

I'm just noting here that some players made the prediction. And it is a possibility, though by no means a certainty. It's a possibility from a morale standpoint, not from a battlefield standpoint. If John elects to continue (and I hope he does), the game will obviously last into 1945.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6422
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:10:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Oops, disregard this. And I mean it. I somehow quoted my message two post back when I meant to edit it for grammar.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/18/2016 5:13:31 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6423
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:14:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Did you know that early in this game (sometime back in 1942, which would have been in 2013), you predicted that the Allies would win the war before the end of 1943?

You haven't won the war. Japan still has an excellent chance to get a draw especially if you continue thinking like that and get sloppy.

+ 1
Lowpe's "Turnaround" AAR is an impressive demonstration of how dangerous the Japanese can be when they have almost nothing left, and John is far from that point now.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6424
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:14:27 PM   
Canoerebel

Oops, I did it again. I must be tired.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/18/2016 5:16:21 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6425
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:15:05 PM   
witpqs

Good show! Really too bad that John is even thinking of ending the game now.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6426
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:17:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Now, you guys, don't go off thinkng I believe the game is over and that I'm overconfident. I know you only have limited time and can't read five pages of comments (most of you, anyhow). It's very clearly been stated that the war is far from over from a military standpoint. From a morale standpoint is a different matter. Hopefully the forum will be a benefit to John in that regard.

Let me state plainly that I do not think the Allies have won the war. What I expressed to John in my email (quoted about two pages back) is my sincere belief.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/18/2016 5:19:44 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6427
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:30:40 PM   
Lowpe

Ok, I stand corrected and duly chastised.

My son climbed Mt Yonah several months ago in the winter and endured the worst day of his life as it was at night and in a driving rain storm with visibility 5 inches, rain pouring down the mountain, and a sheer drop on one side, temperature in the mid 30's and missing a big toenail having been ruthlessly physically worn down over the previous two months.

All our hiking on the AT (in PA) nothing ever came close to that harrowing night adventure. But all that youthful experience stood him in good stead.

I will relay your Longstreet story...he will greatly appreciate it!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/18/2016 5:33:00 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6428
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:31:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Yes. Clearly what is needed is some discreet mood stabilization of the opponent. This can perhaps be accomplished with a mixture of empathy and counsel and optimism in the opposing thread by the AAR peanut gallery.

Try not to sound like you paid for 15 rounds and feel cheated.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6429
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:34:19 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Yes. Clearly what is needed is some discreet mood stabilization of the opponent. This can perhaps be accomplished with a mixture of empathy and counsel and optimism in the opposing thread by the AAR peanut gallery.

Try not to sound like you paid for 15 rounds and feel cheated.

He is going to make it, I think.

SCLS, Sudden Carrier Loss Syndrome, is something all JFB's have to learn to cope with.

Staring at your computer screen in disbelief the first time the Yamato gets hit with the 10th torpedo of the night by PT boats can also trigger SCLS.

It is an occupational hazard and well understood in John's AAR.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6430
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:45:47 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

How short a time ago was it in the game when John was strutting about like a peacock in the aftermath of the Battle of Sumatra? It is an awfully short turnaround for him to now be in despair. You played on despite a massive defeat. It would be disturbing if he does not.

+1

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 6431
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 6:55:38 PM   
Miller

In Dan's first ever AE game against me he finally disposed of most of my KB in early 44. Yes it was painful, but I still managed to get some licks in until the game ended in late-ish 44. John owes him at least that much time now imo, otherwise he will struggle to get any more opponents of any note in the future.

< Message edited by Miller -- 5/18/2016 6:57:56 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 6432
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 7:03:50 PM   
Canoerebel

I know Miller (Paul) as a tenacious defender.

Miller and John III are the only two opponents I've ever had that played deep into '44 or into '45. The others games ended in '42 or very early '43: Q-Ball (he disappeared into WITE-land just as the game was getting really interesting), Panzerjagger Hortlund (a gifted player who didn't realize how much merit there was in his West Coast attack and suddenly and without explanation vanished from Matrix Games) and Chezdajez (the nicest guy, but his position as Japan was hopeless by mid-42 due to a radical Fortress Palembang; and he loved simulation but detested weird stuff).

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 6433
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 7:17:51 PM   
KenchiSulla

First time I lost a serious amount of carriers I did math in bed (pen and paper), trying to convince myself I could work with what I had left...

It worked...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6434
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 7:19:45 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

I know Miller (Paul) as a tenacious defender.

Miller and John III are the only two opponents I've ever had that played deep into '44 or into '45. The others games ended in '42 or very early '43: Q-Ball (he disappeared into WITE-land just as the game was getting really interesting), Panzerjagger Hortlund (a gifted player who didn't realize how much merit there was in his West Coast attack and suddenly and without explanation vanished from Matrix Games) and Chezdajez (the nicest guy, but his position as Japan was hopeless by mid-42 due to a radical Fortress Palembang; and he loved simulation but detested weird stuff).

I had a match with PH- got into early '43, he had lost the Soryu, Kiryu and a couple of CVE's to my "no CV's", I had blasted his AO fleet in port, but took my licks too (lost an entire division due to an invasion that didn't turn out right, lost 6-7 BB's on another ill advised invasion), and then all communications went dead. 2-3 months later he started up a match with you and I was all "Wtf".

But oh well, that's the way it goes. Praying my new PBEM actually makes it to '44.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6435
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:29:00 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
And, though there has been so much debate on its merits, I think that it is now pretty clear that you sacrificed a queen in Sumatra in order to get a checkmate in the Pacific.

Exactly!

By the way Ross, I was thinking of you this morning. During my waking moments, I might add.

Did you know that early in this game (sometime back in 1942, which would have been in 2013), you predicted that the Allies would win the war before the end of 1943? I came across this prediction months ago when I was reading back through the AAR after questions came up about House Rules (John wanted to know if we had a restriction versus night bombing.) I think there was another player that offered a similar prediction, but yours was memorably naked...I mean straightforward.

When the invasion of Sumatra achieved total surprise, I thougth your prediction (and the other player's) would come true. Then, when hopes grew dim in Sumatra, I doubted the end could come in '43. Then, when Hokkaido was wide open, my hopes rekindled. Then, when the Allies had to settle in for a more conventional war by focusing on islands, hopes dimmed again.

Well, it is currently 9/43. All I can say is don't disappoint me and make me look like a fool...I recommend that you put in an all nighter and do some serious attack planning.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6436
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:39:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

I wasn't suggesting that I'd won the war.

Nope, but I am. He has won the war. John is quite capable, but I think he knows this as well as anyone.

I don't even have to have a dream about this

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6437
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:41:09 PM   
Canoerebel

I spent lunchtime thinking over options for long-term objectives. By the end of lunch, the decision had been made. I won't go into details other than to say I like it.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6438
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:53:31 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope, but I am. He has won the war. John is quite capable, but I think he knows this as well as anyone.

The war is won unless CR gives it away, but the game is a different matter. Victory conditions have not been met by either side. The outcome of the race is still to be determined.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6439
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:55:31 PM   
BBfanboy

Nothing like a good night's sleep and a good shellacking of your opponent to sharpen the mind for strategic thoughts!
I like that you keep Op Sec. until it is the appropriate time to reveal a detail here and there. Like staging a play. The audience is fully engaged on this one!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6440
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 9:50:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Email from John this morning explaining lack of a turn:

"I had a terrible night of sleep. NO—not because of the thrashing I am getting. Had terrible indigestion that kept me awake....Have a 10 hours shift today (which will be bunches of fun due to no sleep) so there shall be no turn until tonight....once I extricate myself from the fight I shall need a couple of days to see what is left and try to pick-up the pieces. Can’t do that until we break contact though."

So I wrote back:

"Sorry to hear you had a restless night, John. I hope your day went better to compensate in some small way.

"I had no sleep the night before. I couldn't decide whether to commit to battle or not. I wasn't sure whether you knew where my carriers were or not. I didn't know if you had prepared an elaborate trap on the one hand, or whether I had the drop on you on the other. I vacillated until 2 a.m. Then I couldn't sleep. So I worked on a presentation for a program for more than two hours. Then I returned to the computer and stared at it until 5 a.m. Finally I made the decision, completed the orders, and sent you the turn. It was an agonizing and exhausting experience.

"But at least I didn't have the added discomfort of indigestion and fears of a heart attack. No, those were all in my mind as I contemplated John Cochran destroying the Allied fleet.

"As for breaking contact, perish the thought. I don't intend to let you. I want to pursue you and whip you until you are reduced to staring vacantly at the screen while drool puddles on your computer table and until you agree to name your first grandson after me.

"Or perhaps those are visions inspired by lack of sleep."

The comment about not letting him break contact is meant to give him some satisfaction. I think his TF will break contact this next turn and make it safely away to fight another day. That should give him some encouragement...and from that he'll want to make me pay for the very idea of leaving him drooling and naming grandchildren after Confederate opponents.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6441
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 10:10:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

..naming grandchildren after Confederate opponents.

Grant, Sherman, Chamberlain...I hope nobody is named Meade?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6442
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 10:13:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Ha!

Man, the English language can be tough to use to communicate!

What I meant to say was "naming grandchildren after opponents who are Confederates."

I'm glad I don't have to rely on grammar and writing skills for a living...

Post #: 6443
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 10:45:11 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

After the Civil War ended, Longstreet returned to civilian life in northeast Georgia. One day soon afterwards, he walked up Yonah. When he reached the top, he yielded himself to his raw emotions at having seen so much loss of life, so much suffering, and for it all to come to naught.

I know I have recommended this before but if anyone has not read Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed" It is one of the finest recollections of a combat soldier. Corporal Sledge was an active participants in 2 of the worst fights of the war, Peleliu and Okinawa. By some miracle he escaped without a physical scratch but he suffered deep physiological trauma. He went on to get his PhD in biology and by all accounts lived a long, peaceful life. He memoir is awful and powerful and was one of the 2 books used to produce the excellent HBO serious, The Pacific. He echos Longstreets feelings:
“People rushed around in a hurry about seemingly insignificant things. Few seemed to realize how blessed they were to be free and untouched by the horrors of war. To them, a veteran was a veteran – all were the same, whether one man had survived the deadliest combat or another had pounded a typewriter while in uniform.”

Highest recommendation

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6444
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 11:43:07 PM   
poodlebrain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

..naming grandchildren after Confederate opponents.

Grant, Sherman, Chamberlain...I hope nobody is named Meade?
Meade is a much better name than Destiney, Delencia, Rodneisha or Travonshay. Those are the names of 4 young women arrested recently for getting into a fight at a local high school graduation.

Maybe I'm culturally insensitive, but I'm an unrepentant rebel sympathizer, and I'd name a daughter McClellan, Burnside or even Hooker before one of those 4 names.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

Post #: 6445
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 11:44:31 PM   
Canoerebel

John, you recommended that book to me in early 2013. I bought it and took it on a hike, reading it on the side of Lavender Mountain. It's a great book.

I've read other books on the side of that same mountain, including Eric Metaxis's Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Preacher, Soldier, Spy and Clancy's Patriot Games.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 6446
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 11:53:26 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you're still sleep-walking. Wake up. Put your pants on. Have a hot cup of coffee and a look at the game manual.

The Allies always win the war. This is a game, and the game has a different set of rules to determine who wins.

I'm by no means saying I think I can predict who will win, but it's a long game, and a lot depends on the will, creativity and determination of the Japanese player to overcome the inevitable loss of his navy. (which happens in every AE game)

John has not shown he has the patience and fortitude for this kind of game yet, but he might still.

Why play it out if the decision is inevitable, anyway? What fun is that?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6447
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2016 12:00:12 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

I spent lunchtime thinking over options for long-term objectives. By the end of lunch, the decision had been made. I won't go into details other than to say I like it.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6448
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2016 3:23:44 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The thought is a magnificent one. I've used it before when speaking to historic groups about the end of the Civil War. How does a captain who led troops into battle at Spotsylvania or Franklin return home, pick up a pitchfork, and resume life? What does he do when his wife scolds him ("Honey, you forgot to take out the trash again") or questions his judgment ("I don't think you should plant the north 40 with corn this year")? How do you go from battlefield command to taking out the trash?

Granted, I'm going a bit off-topic, but Oliver Wendell Holmes gave an impressive answer:

Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given to us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing. While we are permitted to scorn nothing but indifference, and do not pretend to undervalue the worldly rewards of ambition, we have seen with our own eyes, beyond and above the gold fields, the snowy heights of honor, and it is for us to bear the report to those who come after us. But, above all, we have learned that whether a man accepts from Fortune her spade, and will look downward and dig, or from Aspiration her axe and cord, and will scale the ice, the one and only success which it is his to command is to bring to his work a mighty heart.

--Memorial Day Address, 1884

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6449
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2016 4:43:57 AM   
aleajactaest10044

quote:

I read that account in a book many years ago. Since then I've tried to find it again so that I could cite it when speaking (and I plan to use it in writing at some point). But I've never been able to put my finger on that story again.

I'll keep looking for the story you mention; here is a link that mentions the journey but not the quote...

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mlcf8BJGmDoC&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq=Longstreet+++Yonah&source=bl&ots=mhBL6CgHQH&sig=zZhNUKqUuMrAkGw6nhwFGL95ktc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD_-Kfm-XMAhVn2oMKHYTKDJkQ6AEIMTAE#v=onepage&q=Longstreet%20%20%20Yonah&f=false

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6450
Page:   <<   < prev  213 214 [215] 216 217   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  213 214 [215] 216 217   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI