Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 4:24:59 AM   
BBfanboy

I doubt very much that the Japanese can fly in enough supply for offense. I gathered every transport aircraft Japan has in Feb. 1942 and set them to fly supply to an isolated base. They moved about 150 tons a day. Not much for the huge number of aircraft, although about 1/4 or them were the little Theresas. They only have range 4 so they might not be useful here. I am not sure how much bombers might be able to fly in. I have never tried to use bombers for supply transport.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 781
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 4:50:48 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Burma:  No changes.  (A few posts up, NYGiants suggested marching light AA units from India to China - I'm wondering if he specifically limited it to light units - would heavy units eat up too much supply?)

No, it was because I like my heavy AA to stay with some of my major bases in case the Japanese bombers come calling. Some will get moved forward as the Allies retake Burma. In China, the 40mm Bofors have a ceiling of 9000 or 9800. So, they get rid of the milk runs of Japanese bombers at 6000.

Don't forget about few AA Bde the Allies get. You have some on Ceylon I move to Ledo to protect my transport planes into China. Then, you get at least two of these massive AA units in NZ.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 782
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 6:58:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Burma:  No changes.  (A few posts up, NYGiants suggested marching light AA units from India to China - I'm wondering if he specifically limited it to light units - would heavy units eat up too much supply?)

No, it was because I like my heavy AA to stay with some of my major bases in case the Japanese bombers come calling. Some will get moved forward as the Allies retake Burma. In China, the 40mm Bofors have a ceiling of 9000 or 9800. So, they get rid of the milk runs of Japanese bombers at 6000.

Don't forget about few AA Bde the Allies get. You have some on Ceylon I move to Ledo to protect my transport planes into China. Then, you get at least two of these massive AA units in NZ.

And ... I believe the Bofors can be air transported on the largest transports while the 75mm and 90mm cannot.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 783
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 1:18:37 PM   
Canoerebel

4/21/42

China:  In a brief holding spell while we wait to see what develops on the MLR over the next few days.

Burma:  An IJ unit moving in on Toungoo, so the roadblock won't last, but it has lasted long enough to give the Allies a good headstart towards the future.

India:  No major changes since last report.

Oz:  Same here.

Pacific:  Most of 32nd Div. to board transports at LA tonight.

Final Phase II Opportunity:  With the recent falls of Singapore and Java, John has free up six or more divisions that he can concentrate in a major Phase II move.  At least one of these has gone to China.   He has enough left to do something bold, but the window won't be open much longer.  I'm also searching for clues that his dispersing these units piecemeal as that will give me an all-clear in India and Oz so that I can begin to move forward more aggressively.  Until I sound the all-clear there is still a chance for a major move against either of these targets, but both would be very ****ly now, as follows:

Oz: About three divivisons of American troops are present along with the organic Australian stuff.  The troops are divided between the greater Perth theater and Brisbane/Maryborough.  With recent air reinforcements plus the American carriers present, the Allies can fight effectively.

India:  Ceylon and Assam remain vulnerable, but anything else would be very hard to suicidal for Japan.  NE India is strongly defended and defended in depth.  A deep strike is very unlikely, partly because of an appearance of difficulty (Diego is strongly held and both Diego and Socatra airfields have been built large) and because Bombay (800 AV) and Karachi (600 AV) have sufficient garrisons to hold until reinforcements could arrive from other theaters.  I am close - but not quite ready - to bring troops forward.

Elsewhere:  New Zealand and Alaska are available, but those are low-priority places at the moment.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 784
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 1:58:57 PM   
Q-Ball

IMO, it's too late for a massive Phase II move, like an attempt at all of India or OZ. You really have to be landing before April 1 to have a shot, both for landing bonus reasons and for timetable reasons.

He made a critical error at Singapore, by failing to allocate enough troops. This cost him dearly. IMO, you need to send 5 divisions to Malaya, which is probably more than you need, but what is required to be 100% sure of taking the place in early February.

I think he mis-allocated his land units in the SRA, and paid the price

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 785
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 2:47:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Brad, I very largely agree with you.  I often use the game that you and I played as a benchmark.  Your massive, scary, and almost (ALMOST!) too successful invasion of India began on March 7.  You kept a tight schedule and were in a position to prosecute yours efficiently. 

I'm much more sanguine (is that a good word to use?) in this game both because it's already six weeks later and because John doesn't have the four extra divisions that come with Scenario Two. 

But, John is the crazy aggressive sort that might do something so nutty it might work - light invade San Diego or Karachi.  After all, in my WitP game with him in 2006, he invaded India massively in 1944 (NINETEEN FORTY FOUR!!!).  That was an abject failure, but I do have to take reasonable precautions against his effort to draw an inside straight.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 786
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 4:24:16 PM   
Canoerebel

4/22/42

Here's one of the loveliest gifts an Allied player can receive:

SIG INT REPORT FOR Apr 22, 42
CV Kaga is moving to Truk (112,108).

This is only the second time in four AE PBEM matches that I've received a fleet carrier report like this.  This dovetails with the Manado patrol reports of two enemy CV TFs leaving the Celebes on a setting for Babeldaob.  John isn't going to "go deep" in India without everything on hand, so I'm going to release the Aussie division at Karachi.  That unit has long been prepping for Rangoon and will proceed to the Upper Burma frontier.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 787
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2013 8:16:39 PM   
Canoerebel

4/23/42

China:  I think John's intent is to work the Nanning sector hard.  I think he's temporarily stymied in the Changsha sector, even with his "interior base" to work from.   Both sides have problems, but I don't think China is going to collapse in the short term or medium term.  That's important, because the Allies may be able to make ground in Burma, which may in turn offer some hope to China.

Burma:  The IJA unit that had moved into the hex adjacent to Toungoo vanished!  I don't know if this is some kind of mirage or not.  A UK Brigade at Chittagong is going to move cross country in hopes of occupying (and holding) one of the jungle hexes bordering the key clear terrain in Upper Burma.  The Aussie division at Karachi will move into NE India, but I'll hold her there a few more days until I'm dadgum certain John isn't making a wild play (it's a bit nerve wracking leaving just 150 AV to guard Karachi).

India:  No signs of trouble anywhere.  Base building is ongoing nearly everywhere, but in particular the Allies plan to use Chittagong, Delhi, Akyab, Koleymo, Imphal and Ledo.  This is where we want to pay Japan back for its sins in China.

DEI/Philippines:  The Allies still hold Manado, which support two Dutch patrol squadrons.  The Allies at Clark are out of supply but easily withstood a deliberate attack by two IJA divisions a few days ago.  It's possible Clark could hold into May, though a shock attack or two might be enough now to finish the siege.

Australia:  159th Motorized Regiment has mostly landed at Melbourne.  That's it for major infantry until 32nd Div. (prepping for Milne Bay) arrives in about three weeks.

West Coast:  41st Div. at Tacoma has to be bought out.  I'm not ready to do that yet, but it is time to make the long term plans for the unit.  I was torn between NoPac and India, and went with the latter.  I have a feeling that the Allies are going to fight hard for Upper Burma in 1942, while I'm not sure I want to fight hard in the Aluetians in '42.  So the unit is beginning prep for Rangoon (that's not Upper Burma, but it makes sense to my way of thinking) and will move to East Coast.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 788
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 3:07:00 PM   
Canoerebel

4/24/42

China:  John extracted one of his isolated divisions, which in turn beat up on a small Chinese corps in open terrain (it had the inside track to re-isolate the IJA division, but his bombers flew and mine didn't, thus slowing my guys down).  Overall, though, the situation looks like it will be static for awhile.

Australia:  159th Motorized will head to Geraldton along with a fresh USAAF base force.  This move is focused on a future plan.

Allied Plans:  Both carrier forces appear quiet at the moment; mine are upgrading and perhaps John's are too (or replacing lost aircraft or repositioning for future operations).  During the lull, I am trying to position troops with proper prep to offer a variety of options to move forward in areas where the KB isn't.  IE, if the KB shows up one place, I want to have the option to move somewhere else.  With that in mind, the Allies are positioning and prepping as follows:

NoPac:  With Japan seemingly focused on Umnak and Adak, the Allies are focusing on the corridor from Adak to Attu.  IE, I'll bypass the Umnak stronghold if and when the time comes.  Troops for this operation are mostly at Seattle with a few at Pearl.

CenPac:  Some troops at Pearl are prepping for the Marshalls, though I would need more to make this feasible.

SWPac:  A real emphasis is Milne Bay and the offshore islands.  32nd Div., currently enroute from USA to Oz, is the backbone, both lots of American and Aussie troops are prepping.  Some Kiwi and American troops are prepping for the Santa Cruz Islands plus Tulagi.

Oz:  Carnavon would make a logical target since it can be reached by land.  The primary purpose the Allies might make a move would be to draw John's attention.  I have sufficient troops in the Perth Theater to handle this if desired.

Cocos Island:  Prep is complete for this move, anchored by 7th Oz Division at Bombay.  Other units include a Marine raider battalion at Capetown, and US Army combat engineer unit in Oz, and a few other troops here and there.

Burma:  The Allies are going to make Burma an active theater.  If John allows me to seize the key jungle hexes in strength, so that his potential MLR is left fatally weakened, I can create serious pressure here with the help of Allied 2EB and 4EB that will be based near the front.

China:  This theater will remain active, drawing John's exited attention, both on the ground and in the air.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 789
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 5:44:29 PM   
Canoerebel

4/25/42

China:  An awful attack for Japan a hex east of Changsha:

Ground combat at 83,52 (near Changsha)
Japanese Deliberate attack 
Attacking force 18303 troops, 195 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 389
Defending force 17788 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 570

Japanese adjusted assault: 149 
Allied adjusted defense: 491 
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
     1124 casualties reported
        Squads: 125 destroyed, 140 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
        Engineers: 5 destroyed, 10 disabled
     Guns lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
     149 casualties reported
        Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
        Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
   57th Infantry Brigade
   40th Division
   138th Infantry Regiment
   2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment

Defending units:
   53rd Chinese Corps
   87th Chinese Corps

China Continued:  The Japanese are now stymied at and around Changsha.  John has two best hopes to shake things up:  (1)  he's bringing at least three divisions from the Nanning Sector towards Liuchow.  If my 350 AV army in the woods hex outside Nanning doesn't hold, then Liuchow won't either.  However, Kweilin is the strongest outpost and shouldn't be at risk.  (2) The Japanese interior base - John thus far hasn't shown any signs of moving out from the base; I'm still hoping I'm right that air supply won't permit him to conduct offensive operations.  Outside these clashes along the MLR, China is continuing to work on the second line of defenses to make sure the Japanese can't move west (true; or north on the map) towards the Toyun and vicinity bases.  Overall, the Chinese situation still looks pretty good.

Burma:  The Japanese reclaimed Toungoo.  I'm trying to figure out if John is bringing one or both divisions that recently conquered Port Blair.  Most importantly, I'm pretty sure the Allies are going to win the race to occupy and defend the key jungle hexes.  That's one of key - if almost unnoticed - campaigns going on right now.  An IJ combat TF of some sort seems to be moving into the strait between Rangoon and Port Blair:  an invasion force targeting Assam?  A bombardment TF?  We'll see.

India:  Quiet.  18th Brit Div. rebuilding at Diego since early in the war is at 300 AV now (up from 140 at the start).  Curiously, experience has increased from 40 to 47 during the interim.  At some point, Diego will become secure enough to allow 18th to begin prepping for another location.

Oz:  Quiet.

Pacific:  Quiet.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/27/2013 5:47:05 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 790
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 5:57:00 PM   
paullus99

Better that he brings those Divisions to Burma, rather than moving them elsewhere. Making waves here should pay dividends & force John to start paying attention to an area of the map that seems to be nothing but a backwater (for both of you).

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 791
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 6:13:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Burma's been a small game within a game, but it's not a backwater.  The Allies have had major plans for the theater going back three weeks now.  If, as I expect, the Allies take those key jungle hexes, Burma will become even more important.  The Allies have alot of firepower prepping for Burma, including one Australian division, one American division, and a bunch of Indian troops.  I'll need alot of politcal points to buy units, so I'm saving, saving, saving (at this point I have 1700).

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 792
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 8:51:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Japanese ground losses:
1124 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
149 casualties reported

I don't understand how you can destroy 125 squads and inflict less than 1,200 casualties. Are you sure those numbers are right?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 793
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 9:41:38 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Japanese ground losses:
1124 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
149 casualties reported

I don't understand how you can destroy 125 squads and inflict less than 1,200 casualties. Are you sure those numbers are right?

The fact that there are no (-) symbols for the attacker combined with your quesiton, combined with the results suggests that many, many squads were hollowed out. Perhaps from overuse.

Japan should have won this battle going away. They apparently had good supply (no (-). John loves to shock attack and he hates to rest his men.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/27/2013 9:42:28 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 794
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:15:39 PM   
Canoerebel

I believe these results are right.

This is partly a product of a little "under the wraps" game I try to play with John.  He's attacked in this hex many times during the game, each time getting beaten badly.  To entice him to attack again, I occasionally withdraw a unit (with good reason too, as I can use them elsewhere).  Sure enough, he nearly always attacks again.  At one time I had six or seven corps in this hex.  I'm down to two.

I'm not sure why it gave a negative for experience for my guys.  Both are at or slightly above 50 experience.

By the way, I wouldn't expect John to win this battle, but that's primarily because I know just how beaten down his guys are.  Also, one of my corps has four forts, the other three.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 795
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:26:31 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

CenPac:  Some troops at Pearl are prepping for the Marshalls, though I would need more to make this feasible.

Playing both sides, I would say go through the Gilberts first. Larger stacking limits and multiple bases that can be built up to size 5 AFs (allows 4e bombers to carry normal loads) and many bases with ports that can expand to size 4.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 796
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:34:49 PM   
ny59giants

Combat Results - Once your troops have 1/2 of their infantry squads disabled, then they are destroyed more quickly when on the receiving end of poor combat results.

HQs - I know I've talked about using them to I'm blue in the face, but using a Command HQ when attacking a base is great. Use your Chinese Command HQ to prep for a base that you plan to assault soon. You have so many Corp HQs that this is a given, so try for that extra 90% adjusted AV with The Command.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 797
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:50:31 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

[Playing both sides, I would say go through the Gilberts first. Larger stacking limits and multiple bases that can be built up to size 5 AFs (allows 4e bombers to carry normal loads) and many bases with ports that can expand to size 4.

I meant the Gilberts. They are prepping for Makin, Tarawa and Abemama. The first and third I have adequately covered, but I need to add some troops to make Tarawa viable. The Gilberts are the lowest priority objective in my queue of operations, which is why it's lagging a bit in troops committed.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 798
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:52:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Great idea on the HQ, MIchael, thanks.  I actually have no hope of attacking any real bases in the near future, so I'm not sure which base I'll choose.  It'll be potluck.  There are possiblities, but only long shots for a long, long time.  I won't go into details why.  Just trust me that I can't go on the offensive for quite some time to come and then only if John really neuters himself, which is possible.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 799
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 10:53:59 PM   
Canoerebel

Pardon me for showing my command ignorance here, but I have SWPac HQ at Brisbane prepping for Milne Bay.  Would having this HQ along help or would it for some reason be a bad move?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 800
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 11:03:52 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Pardon me for showing my command ignorance here, but I have SWPac HQ at Brisbane prepping for Milne Bay.  Would having this HQ along help or would it for some reason be a bad move?

Command HQs act like an Army/Corp HQ if there is not one of them prepped for the same base. The big benefit the Allies have is in all their Command HQs. I team them up with an Army/Corp HQs so they can get the added 90% adjusted AV when attacking. It took repeated efforts to get Jocke to see this.

In your example Dan, the Command HQ can stay in Australia (command range is x2 which is 18 hexes) while an Army/Corp HQ can land at Milne Bay.

My feedback to John in development of RA was to give Japan more Command HQs. If he isn't bring them to China, that's his fault.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 801
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/27/2013 11:29:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm not sure why it gave a negative for experience for my guys.  Both are at or slightly above 50 experience.

I always thought that negative sign was relative to the other guy's experience. Odd that I've been playing this game four years and never wondered about that.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 802
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 12:36:08 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Command HQs act like an Army/Corp HQ if there is not one of them prepped for the same base. The big benefit the Allies have is in all their Command HQs. I team them up with an Army/Corp HQs so they can get the added 90% adjusted AV when attacking. It took repeated efforts to get Jocke to see this.

In your example Dan, the Command HQ can stay in Australia (command range is x2 which is 18 hexes) while an Army/Corp HQ can land at Milne Bay.

My feedback to John in development of RA was to give Japan more Command HQs. If he isn't bring them to China, that's his fault.

Is SWPac's command range 9? I thought all the Allied command level HQs had a range of 5. Now I'll have to take another look at SWPac tonight.

Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?

If there is no corps HQ then the cammand HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.

If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?

Hans

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 803
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 1:25:44 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Is SWPac's command range 9? I thought all the Allied command level HQs had a range of 5. Now I'll have to take another look at SWPac tonight.
All American Command HQs have range of 9.

quote:

Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?
Yes. An often overlooked fact.

quote:

If there is no corps HQ then the Command HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.
Correct again.

quote:

If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?
Yes, you can now move to the next level in AE.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 804
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 3:47:14 PM   
Canoerebel

4/26/42

Interesting information about HQs.  As of this moment, I'm aware of only one American corps level HQ - I Corps that arrives early in the game.  That unit is at Seattle fully prepped for Attu.  I'll look around and see what I've missed.

China:  No major changes.  I'm still expecting the next major push to come from Nanning, where Japan currently has two divisions.  The Chinese have 650 AV in the wooded hex to the east. so the Japanese might try maneuvering as opposed to besieging.

Burma:  The Japanese are not present in big number in Upper Burma yet.  The Allies still hold Myitkina and Lashio with sufficient strenght that John can't take either without reinforcing first.  In the meantime, the real focus for the Allies is the race to claim the key jungle hexes.  It looks like the Allies are going to win (and I don't think John's aware that such a race is ongoing).

Australia:  The enemy is quiet.  The Allies are busy shifting units around.

Pacific:  Lots of reinforcement TFs strung out from Los Angeles to Dunedin.  Nearly all of these are bound for Oz, though 9th Marines may go to Noumea.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 805
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 4:09:41 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

IMO, it's too late for a massive Phase II move, like an attempt at all of India or OZ. You really have to be landing before April 1 to have a shot, both for landing bonus reasons and for timetable reasons.

He made a critical error at Singapore, by failing to allocate enough troops. This cost him dearly. IMO, you need to send 5 divisions to Malaya, which is probably more than you need, but what is required to be 100% sure of taking the place in early February.

I think he mis-allocated his land units in the SRA, and paid the price

I agree with Q-Ball. I think you have in effect already won the game. Although John might want to contest that assertion for the next 1,000 turns or so....

I don't think the Japanese player needs to shoot for AV to have a great game. But he has to keep the Allied player on the defensive and deliver bigger body blows in early 1942 to really have a chance.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 806
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 6:26:06 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Combat Results - Once your troops have 1/2 of their infantry squads disabled, then they are destroyed more quickly when on the receiving end of poor combat results.

Also of note I that I have observed that the effects of Malaria become most notable when units reach that 1/2 sqauds disabled mark. Maybe I am wrong and just lucky on teh die rolls but smacking a stack and having them teleport in retreat might get them out of immediate danger but it seems there is a die roll each turn that begins a process of attirtion for units not a a supplied base in a Malaira zone .. this is a small detail in picking a line to defend in Burma that I see often overlooked and can be exploited beyond the use of HQ bounuses etc gaining advantages in stacking limits games ...

Just a thought ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 807
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 6:51:08 PM   
Canoerebel

4/27/42

I do think John is in for a tough go of it, but I'm not ready to declare victory for three reasons:  (1) I could make a costly mistake as I'm planning to be modestly aggressive; (2) China is still a bit of an unknown, even though I'm cautiously optimistic; and (3) as I understand Reluctant Admiral it gives Japan alot more navy power later in the game, which could make things more difficult than ordinary.

Headquarters:  After looking a the roster of HQ units on the map and coming in the next 90 days or so, the Americans have just one - I Marine Amphib HQ, which I address in my previous post.  The next, I Corps, isn't coming for quite some time.  So corps/assault level HQ are in short supply!

China:  John is feeding additional reinforcements into the Changsha sector.  Most of his divisions that have been attrited heavily are showing very little recover when I next encounter them in combat, which is encouraging.  Two divisions that just left Changsha to to south (true) are both below 200 AV.  Hostilities are going to re-erupt in the not too distant future.  My army is pretty tired and weakend, but alot more units are coming in from the north (via the long, slow journey through Kienko).  So, even as I fight with some optimism along the original MLR, I'm beginning to establish a second MLR just in case I can't maintain my position.

Burma:  No change.  SigInt reports 5th Div. still at Port Blair.  I'm surprised John hasn't already fed this unit into Burma.  9th Aussie Div. will arrive at Dimapur in three or four days and will then move towards the frontier - the backbone of the Allied army moving towards the key line of jungle hexes.

DEI:  The Allies still hold Manado with patrol activity active.  I have completed the details for the Cocos Island invasion, which may or may not take place in the near term.  All units and shipping that would participate are in places of embarkation and ready to go, with the exception of the carriers, which need time to upgrade.

Oz:  Nothing to report.  I'm working on getting troops and ships in place for the prospective moves on the Milne and Ndeni areas.  A small Kiwi base force arrived at Koumac, permitting my patrols to better cover any enemy passage through the Coral Sea.

Pacific:  Quiet.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 808
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/28/2013 11:32:39 PM   
JeffroK

Headquarters: After looking a the roster of HQ units on the map and coming in the next 90 days or so, the Americans have just one - I Marine Amphib HQ, which I address in my previous post. The next, I Corps, isn't coming for quite some time. So corps/assault level HQ are in short supply!

Might be effective to allocate US Divs to Australian or Indian Corps control (could be too late in this game, maybe next time.)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 809
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/1/2013 12:41:37 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

All American Command HQs have range of 9.

quote:

Also, in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ doesn't it have to be traced through a corps HQ to the command HQ?
Yes. An often overlooked fact.

quote:

If there is no corps HQ then the Command HQ can act in place of the corps HQ to provide the 10% bonus at normal range.
Correct again.

quote:

If this is correct, and I may be as confused about this as I am many other aspects of the game, then in order to get the 90% boost from a Command HQ in Australia for an invasion of Milne Bay the invasion force would need a Corps HQ within 1 hex range of the invasion to give it the 10% bonus and provide a conduit through which the 90% command HQ bonus can flow. Do I have this right?
Yes, you can now move to the next level in AE.

A couple of quick questions. I don't want to derail CR's AAR with a discussion on HQs but it seems he is benefiting from the discussion as well.

The manual states that Army HQs can add a 10% bonus like Corps HQs, but it doesn't state that they can be used as the conduit for the Command HQ 90% bonus the way a Corps HQ can. Are Corps HQs the only conduit for the Command HQ bonus or can Army HQs also perform this function? If they can then it would extend the range of the Command bonus from 19 to 23.

Corps HQs can provide a 10% bonus and be a conduit for a further potential 90% Command bonus and an Army HQ can add a 10% bonus so all this totals to a potential 110% bonus unless the Army HQ bonus is only in lieu of the Corps NQ bonus, but its not stated that way in the manual. The manula leads one to believe the bonus is cummulative.

Also, just when you think you have it all figured out, WITPAE throws you a wild card. Take a look at the Chinese X force HQ. It is a Command HQ with a range of ONE and is permanantly subordinate to an Army HQ (NCAC).....go figure?

Hans

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI