Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 7:51:46 PM   
Dirtnap86

As a native of Augusta, GA, I'm pretty happy that Sherman spared my city on his march. Pretty interesting that he did, considering the powder mill we had back then. After the war they were converted into textile factories and now house a set of luxury (as luxurious as it gets in Augusta) townhome apartments. The Riverwalk down the Savannah is absolutely gorgeous in the springtime, though the Master's golf tournament can go hang. I know it brings a ton of money to the city every year but ye gods the number of out of towners that clog up the roads worse than they already are...

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9811
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 8:07:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

As a native of Augusta, GA, I'm pretty happy that Sherman spared my city on his march. Pretty interesting that he did, considering the powder mill we had back then. After the war they were converted into textile factories and now house a set of luxury (as luxurious as it gets in Augusta) townhome apartments. The Riverwalk down the Savannah is absolutely gorgeous in the springtime, though the Master's golf tournament can go hang. I know it brings a ton of money to the city every year but ye gods the number of out of towners that clog up the roads worse than they already are...

You do know there is a nuke lying in said Savannah River, don't you?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Dirtnap86)
Post #: 9812
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 8:19:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

SHHHHH!!!

You said you wouldn't tell anyone... now one of us in our group has to go move it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9813
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:22:20 PM   
Canoerebel

6/25/44

Battle of Manila: The Allies take Manila. See map for details.

There won't be a message to John that "This turn ROCKED!" Lots more fighting to come, perhaps soon.

Lots of big stuff moving towards each other. I'll post more in a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9814
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:23:21 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

quote:

I didn't know there was a nuke in the Savannah River. I know a US bomber jettisoned a nuke in the '50s (I think) and that it lies just off the Georgia coast, near Savannah. Is that what you're referring to, or is there a nuke in the river too?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9815
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:36:52 PM   
Lowpe

Nicely done...I think that was the picture perfect place to use partial shock attack settings and shows the value of having 100 prep along with HQs.

It is too bad you couldn't run the turn again with everyone and compare the two battle results.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9816
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:44:19 PM   
Canoerebel

6/25/44

Fun House: It bears repeating: Huzzah! The culmination of this op, with the fall of Manila.

KB is closing strongly. It's possible John has been stung and is seeking to sting back. I can't believe he'd attack now (Combined Death Star) when he wouldn't attack a few weeks back, but let's see.

Enemy combat TF closing to bombard Miri, I think. My DDs (six in total) will stand and defend.

Points: John's lead drops to less than 5k. I think I only got credit for 1/2 of Manila's VPs due to low supply, so the other half should tally shortly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9817
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:46:16 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Nicely done...I think that was the picture perfect place to use partial shock attack settings and shows the value of having 100 prep along with HQs.

It is too bad you couldn't run the turn again with everyone and compare the two battle results.

That was a helpful tip. Thanks.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9818
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 10:51:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

That was a helpful tip. Thanks.

Here is another. Run a horde of PT boats up the Luzon coast. Check their commander, but goodness sake do it! Use a cheap xakl to refuel them for their trip home.

No PT boats for Miri possible?

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/12/2017 10:53:09 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9819
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/12/2017 11:58:32 PM   
MakeeLearn

Looks like it's about time for the show to start!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9820
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 1:51:14 AM   
Canoerebel

6/25/44

Death Star: Course change ordered to increase chances of battle, if that's what John wants. I also think this course will be unexpected, perhaps interfering with any notions of setting up an 8-hex strike.

I wouldn't be surprised if John loaded up his carriers with fighters in hopes of savaging Allied strike aircraft. He's done that before.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9821
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 2:50:56 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Congrats on the capture of Manila! Let the games begin...

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9822
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 3:08:47 AM   
Canoerebel

I had guesstimated Death Star at 2,000 aircraft. That's pretty accurate, based upon the count made. Here's what Death Star looks like:

CV: 12
CVL: 11
CVE: 29
Total: 52

Hellcats: 747
Corsairs: 312
F4F & FM: 489
DB: 191
TB: 419
Total: 2158 (not included the extra aircraft in storage on most of the carriers.

The Corsairs, Wildcats, and FM Wildcats are uniformly set to range 0. The Hellcats are set to range 6.
The divebombers are set to range 6.
The torpedo bombers are set to range 6. Many are flying ASW missions at 10% to 40%.

The emphasis is on defense, due to concerns about enemy LBA combining with KB (but not tomorrow, due to range from enemy airfields). Luzon (and the DEI) have a lot of strike squadrons available for carrier duty, should that become desirable.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 9823
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 6:22:52 AM   
JeffroK

Well Done, but do you need Bataan to use Manila??

Plus, can your LBA using drop tanks upset his mythical 8 hex strike??

< Message edited by JeffK -- 4/13/2017 6:24:09 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9824
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 7:02:50 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't know there was a nuke in the Savannah River. I know a US bomber jettisoned a nuke in the '50s (I think) and that it lies just off the Georgia coast, near Savannah. Is that what you're referring to, or is there a nuke in the river too?

That's the one I was referring to. The coastal marshes of the Savannah River have been searched heavily, and last I heard there was a theory the bomb landed in the river instead of the marshland. I don't know how far Augusta National Golf Course is from the coast, but I note that all the golfers at the Masters seemed to be wearing dark glasses to protect against radiation ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9825
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 7:37:04 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the one I was referring to. The coastal marshes of the Savannah River have been searched heavily, and last I heard there was a theory the bomb landed in the river instead of the marshland. I don't know how far Augusta National Golf Course is from the coast, but I note that all the golfers at the Masters seemed to be wearing dark glasses to protect against radiation ...

IIRC that one is a bomb without the nuke core inside it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9826
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 8:44:23 AM   
Canoerebel

There was news on that sometime last year. I think the bomb is in the coastal waters SE of Savannah (not in the river). I think it is nuclear.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9827
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 11:34:27 AM   
paullus99

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/warhead.asp

Makes a good story though....

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9828
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 12:44:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Just to clarify, an air force pilot did jettison a nuke just off the Georgia coast: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18587608

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 9829
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 1:41:50 PM   
paullus99

That's true - didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9830
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 2:01:03 PM   
Canoerebel

I understood but figured some folks lightly following the thread might not.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 9831
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 2:56:39 PM   
Lecivius

Simple curiosity from the feeble minded. Why are you breaking up you DD's covering Miri? I thought a Fletcher group of 6-8 ships was optimum?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9832
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 3:01:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Just a hunch, and I'm not sure it's the right way to do it. I have one TF patrolling at Miri, one a hex to the NW, subs closing in, and SBDs set to naval strike. I don't have enough experience to know if my way of doing it has any advantages, but I just prefer two three-DD TFs as opposed to one larger TF. I do wish I had a six-DD TF and a three-DD TF present.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 9833
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 7:03:35 PM   
Canoerebel

6/26/44

Battle of Luzon: John is working feverishly to Dunkirk. He's withdrawn 25k of 150k troops ashore. He should have one more "clear" turn before Death Star arrives. He's posted lots of CAP at San Fernando. Allied fighters did a decent job of whittling them down before the B-29s hit. Tomorrow, fresh fighters will sweep and nearly all 4EB will hit the airfield. The day after tomorrow, Death Star will be in position to impose a blockade.

This new mission has taken precedence over the invasion of Mindanao. But John's putting so much effort into this that it must be a very high priority.

Miri: John's BBs stood away today, but will probably hit tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9834
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 7:55:13 PM   
MakeeLearn

what are the DL's of the J and A carrier TFs?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9835
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 8:03:34 PM   
Canoerebel

There's no way to tell detection level on enemy TFs, is there? I have them pretty-well spotted over multiple turns, so I think the info is fairly accurate. Only John would know the detection levels on his TFs, though.

My carriers TFs don't report any detection, but every turn they down some search planes. So John knows where they are.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9836
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 8:06:59 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

There's no way to tell detection level on enemy TFs, is there? I have them pretty-well spotted over multiple turns, so I think the info is fairly accurate. Only John would know the detection levels on his TFs, though.

My carriers TFs don't report any detection, but every turn they down some search planes. So John knows where they are.

Doh... thinking of bases, how much FOW is with DLs. Can it show that ones' TK is low DL, but it is actually higher.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9837
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 8:09:08 PM   
Canoerebel

I think detection level on one's own TFs is accurate. I've never noticed any FOW, and I always assume that the information is rock-solid.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9838
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 8:10:41 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

I think detection level on one's own TFs is accurate. I've never noticed any FOW, and I always assume that the information is rock-solid.

GTK

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9839
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/13/2017 9:04:52 PM   
JohnDillworth

Fletcher task forces work well with 3 ships when raiding or attacking convoys. Against a combat TF 6-8 will work better. 2 ship TFs can raid deep and are harder to detext

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9840
Page:   <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI