Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  346 347 [348] 349 350   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/13/2017 12:00:35 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John tries aerial reinforcements nearly every time he gets caught looking the other way. It'll be too little to impact the invasion of Foochow at this late date. But if it the RCT proves tough behind forts, I will employ LRCAP (and bombardments and 4EB).

The Chinese unit is an HQ type, providing intel and serving as a tripwire on that road leading into Foochow.

I think that is probably true for every JFB, Allied SigInt is just so darned remarkably good at pointing out every shortfall in defense, Japanese transports concentrated can fly close to 250 AV a day in or out at this point of the game.

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to your next steps.

I am curious to see what Japan does with their carriers now...caught on the wrong side.

You will have to watch carefully how supply wants to travel from your captured Chinese beach head to the interior I think.

Lok is quite correct that Pescadores has some pretty nifty coastal guns, and anything traversing near could be diverted into them...I know I would be pulling out all the stops to get units to blunder under the guns. Of course the guns themselves are very vulnerable if there aren't other units there too.

Do you have intel on the big CD units that Japan has: Wake Coastal Gun, 3rd Special Coast, Combined 8th SNLF?

Come 1945 Japan's military starts to really grow in China, Manchuko, Japan proper. If you are looking at potential early activation of the Soviets for example, you will want to get there very early in 1945 at the latest. Bases like Hankow and Shanghai see generous division sized units spawn there. In late 44 division sized units spawn in Formosa. A lot of the islands get cd guns sometime in 44...so an Island could literally be empty one day and the next have a very nasty garrison. To me, this is a reason to have +-15 day reinforcement option.

Now -- you are in that enviable Allied position of being early, ahead on the Japanese curve of reinforcements, so have fun! I know I will.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10411
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/13/2017 8:32:31 AM   
Jellicoe

Does John have any idea that the Lexington is tucked away in Boela? A damaged carrier in a port with a large KB on hand will be almost irresistible!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10412
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2017 1:44:17 AM   
Canoerebel

John hasn't used reconnaissance on Boela in forever, as best I can recall. He's showed no real interest in the base. So I've been thinking all along that Lexington was sorta anonymous there.

But perhaps John does know. He's had those subs strung out all around Boela, including at dot hexes. Perhaps he expected SoPac KB to flush ships towards his subs. But that may just be a strategy aimed at Allied ships in general rather than Lexington in particular.

If KB comes back to hit Boela, then it'll be obvious that he does know.

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 10413
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2017 4:05:03 AM   
Reg

Distraction bait......

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10414
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2017 6:09:49 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

Distraction bait......

CAP Trap!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 10415
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 4:25:16 AM   
Canoerebel

With John away for the weekend, I stood down for a few days.

I spent Saturday hiking solo in the Cohutta Wilderness Area. I did a tough 14-mile loop that included a climb of about 1900 feet over a couple of miles. Tough going.

Surprisingly, I had the Wilderness Area to myself. Nobody was out on a lovely spring Saturday. I carried a book and my lunch, stopping to read on the ledge wear Panther Creek Falls tumbled off the side of Cowpen Mountain.

The hike went smoothly, but I was a sore puppy when I got home last night. The only way to stay in shape for steep 14-mile hikes is to regularly do steep 14-mile hikes. Who has time with business, family, church, and other matters?

I also gave some thought to the game, and finally decided how Peep Show will approach China. I'll briefly discuss that after the photos.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10416
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 4:28:32 AM   
Canoerebel

This is East Cowpen Trail, near it's junction with Hickory Ridge Trail.

Last November, a 29,000-acre wildfire - dubbed the Rough Ridge Fire - swept through the Cohutta Wilderness Area. In some places, like this one, the scars of the fire are disappearing already.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10417
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 4:31:07 AM   
Canoerebel

In late December, when I last hiked this stretch of trail - Panther Creek Trail near its upper end - the forest floor was charred and blackened. Inches of slick, wet, gooey ash covered the mountainside. Today, lush ferns have reclaimed the forest floor, which is healing nicely.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10418
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 4:33:19 AM   
Canoerebel

The Rough Ridge Fire did only minor or moderate damage to 95% of the Cohutta Wilderness Area. Most areas will recover quickly.

Here and there, patches of woods are blackened and the forest floor denuded. This is one such area - a long, narrow side ridge that descends from the west side of Buckeye Mountain. It will be a long time until this area looks lush.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10419
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 4:37:19 AM   
Canoerebel

As for the game, I ultimately decided that Peep Show will use the "west route" to approach coastal China. I'm concerned about the risks you gentlemen pointed out - swarms of MTBs causing my TFs to scatter into minefields or within range of the guns of Pescadores.

In fact, I initially entered orders for the TFs to take a course around Formosa's eastern coast. Ultimately, I decided to take the shorter, quicker route that gets the ships to the beachheads a day sooner. I'm sending out advance DD and DMS TFs to sniff out opposition. And if things turn sour, my TFs may still be in a better position to retire.

But I have a feeling that the Allied armada is up to forcing this passage. Let's see if I'm right.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10420
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 7:31:45 AM   
CaptBeefheart

One thing I learned the hard way after traipsing around different CD/mine traps such as Fusan, Tsushima and Shimonoseki to set TFs to "direct" and "absolute." After doing that my ships stopped wandering into those zones of death.

Good luck with Peep Show.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10421
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 7:35:02 AM   
JeffroK

I have also used some waypoints close to each other so that they follow a definite track (exiting Sunda Straits as an example)

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 10422
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 5:22:42 PM   
Canoerebel

7/26/44

Peep Show: Death Star moves in good order towards the Foochow beaches. Moderate-sized enemy air raid gets chewed up. Allied fighter sweeps of Formosa airfields does pretty well - not stellar, but pretty well. I only have a third of my fighter squadrons engaged - I'm rotating them at about that level. So the results are encouraging, though it's too early yet to declare trends.

Meanwhile, SoPac KB is moving west of Timor, far from the action. Mini KB is probably in the Java Sea, but certainly can't commit without major assistance. Much more likely that John will combine his carrier TFs and go raiding in the DEI.

Seven enemy subs around Boela. John almost certainly has his eye on the shipping there. It's a big airfield with tons of supply and support and a few combat TFs for security, so he wont' get a free whack at it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10423
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 5:28:51 PM   
Canoerebel

7/26/44

DEI: SoPac KB moving on the margins.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10424
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 5:52:59 PM   
Lowpe

If that were me, I would be looking at an invasion of Amoy or Tsin-whatever. Did those troops grow at all? I would be totally surprised by your true target.

I take this means you gave up on close to Shanghai?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10425
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 5:57:00 PM   
Canoerebel

I haven't given up on Ningpo, to the north, or Tsinkiang, to the south; but Foochow is priority one. If I take that in good order, I'll probably land everything there and then move on Amoy and Tsinkiang, foregoing Ningpo.

If something really sexy happens - like John suffering massive air losses - I might move on Ningpo. It's lightly guarded, but the problem is its remoteness (to me) and its proximity to Shanghai. So I'm leery of moving there unless thing are going wildly well.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10426
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 6:07:56 PM   
Lowpe

How big is your invasion fleets? Rough total number of ships and divisions?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10427
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 6:12:43 PM   
witpqs

Shanghai itself will be a tough target unless lightly held, and it has a pretty high garrison requirement for the Allies. Ningpo as a jumping off point to Shanghai could be a quagmire if he has sufficient forces nearby, but as a strong point to try and shutdown Japan-held Shanghai it would need only defend itself and its LOC, and build to base fighters and destroyers.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10428
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2017 7:18:21 PM   
Lokasenna

It's a high garrison requirement for Japan, too - 720 in stock.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10429
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 3:28:00 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm twiddling my thumbs, as John has fallen into one of his occasional non-communicative modes.

Yesterday he said he'd send a turn during the "course of the afternoon." I thought that sounded a lot like his old "I'll send another turn without issue" pledges. (He avoids using that phrase, because I mentioned it once).

That was the last I heard from John, although he's been online four or five times since then. He's probably working the turn now ... so I'll just hang tight until it gets here.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10430
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 3:51:50 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

I'm twiddling my thumbs, as John has fallen into one of his occasional non-communicative modes.

Yesterday he said he'd send a turn during the "course of the afternoon." I thought that sounded a lot like his old "I'll send another turn without issue" pledges. (He avoids using that phrase, because I mentioned it once).

That was the last I heard from John, although he's been online four or five times since then. He's probably working the turn now ... so I'll just hang tight until it gets here.

Gives you plentiful of time to plan chow...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10431
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 3:53:25 PM   
Canoerebel

Where do you come up with these things!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10432
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 4:05:01 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Where do you come up with these things!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10433
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 4:23:02 PM   
BillBrown

Fishball noodles, yummy.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10434
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 4:23:05 PM   
Simonsez

He has nothing to do with it...it's all Google.....

Google is your friend

Simonsez

It's a trap!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10435
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 4:38:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

Google is your friend

A musical instrument once made... still has to be played.

(in reply to Simonsez)
Post #: 10436
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 7:14:10 PM   
Canoerebel

7/27/44

Peep Show: The Allies are ashore at Foochow in fine shape; the enemy garrison seems to be in tatters. We'll find out for sure next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10437
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 7:50:28 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simonsez

Google is your friend

A musical instrument once made... still has to be played.

Well put!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10438
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 9:17:33 PM   
Canoerebel

7/27/44

SEAC: The Allied advance is going smoothly. Supply is reaching Rangoon in meaningful amounts, and spreading from there. John will move to interdict at some point and in some fashion, I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10439
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/16/2017 9:21:38 PM   
Canoerebel

7/27/44

China: Where Peep Show opened today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10440
Page:   <<   < prev  346 347 [348] 349 350   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  346 347 [348] 349 350   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI