Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  369 370 [371] 372 373   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 2:53:55 PM   
Canoerebel

9/2/44

John downplayed the days events in sending the new turn: "Not TOO exciting."

He couldn't be more wrong.

Battle of Taichu: Disaster for Japan. See graphic. I'll post more later today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 11101
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:02:13 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That adds yet another layer of micromanagement to the game. I bet the community is divided between loving it and hating it.

I'd love it; IF; it was provided with BETTER and more functional interface; as it is now, hate amongst all the subs micromanaging, therefore tend to "disattend" a good part of them; too a tedius job; hateful;

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11102
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:03:20 PM   
paullus99

Another example of lack of "end-game" experience is shown pretty clearly in this situation. Formosa is an interesting challenge - since there are nice, clear beaches to land on. If you're serious about defending it, you really need high levels of forts and a mobile reserve.

It appears that John has neither.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11103
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:18:09 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Another example of lack of "end-game" experience is shown pretty clearly in this situation. Formosa is an interesting challenge - since there are nice, clear beaches to land on. If you're serious about defending it, you really need high levels of forts and a mobile reserve.

It appears that John has neither.

And because of the high stacking limits big ports and airfields, Formosa is a good staging area for the invasion of the HI. But not critical if the Allies already have the PI in the bag. My aim is to take one or the other but not necessarily both. If I am attacking from SE Asia then Formosa. Attacking from NG, then the Philippines. If you take one or the other then taking both is really not necessary.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 6/27/2017 3:20:01 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 11104
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:25:16 PM   
jwolf

From the combat report at Taichu, it appears that all Japanese units were either destroyed or driven out, so you now have full control over the hex and can move troops freely in any direction. Looks like your plan to land your entire army there will work very well.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11105
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:26:25 PM   
JohnDillworth

Yikes! Look at those destroyed squads! Talk about landing the landing force! Formosa will be hosting B-29s that can reach most of Japan.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11106
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 3:36:47 PM   
MakeeLearn

First in ...

1st Cavalry Division

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11107
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 7:36:33 PM   
Canoerebel

9/2/44

Peep Show II: Having taken Taichu, the Allied army will commence landing in strength tomorrow. The Japanese defenses have been somewhat bifurcated now. Takao and Taihoku are strongly garrisoned, but Kagi is weak. John will reinforce from Takao, beginning a downward spiral in unit fitness that should result in the expedited capitulation of Formosa. If he could bring LBA, combat ships and carriers to bear the situation would be more uncertain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 11108
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 7:52:21 PM   
Canoerebel

9/2/44

SEAC: John seems to be pretty excited and all-in for his counteroffensives in Indochina. He'll make some progress here. I'm not real concerned about that. I have two major objectives: (1) don't allow major units to get isolated or destroyed; and (2) look for the right opportunity to batter significant enemy units.

Formosa will continue to require full attention from my air force for a time, but not as long as I'd first thought.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11109
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 8:08:25 PM   
Bullwinkle58

You could scramble his plans by aerial mining VP from Bangkok or Rangoon. At least let him know you're looking there.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11110
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/27/2017 8:13:07 PM   
paullus99

Those ships who bombarded were the only main combatants you've seen up close in a while....I suspect John is doing something similar to you - and keeping his major assets together.

If you can catch a few out of position (like those guys near Vinh) it would certainly hurt.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11111
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 12:34:54 AM   
T Rav

Good picture of the 1st Cav guys. They have one of the cooler patches in the Army, though I am partial to one of my old units, the 101st.

In this case, I hope to see the picture come true in this game and be the 'First Team' in Tokyo!

T Rav

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 11112
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 7:05:57 PM   
Canoerebel

9/3/44

Peep Show II: Unloading troops and supplies at Taichu is going well. In another day or two, a large Allied army will begin the move to Kagi. I think the Japanese are in trouble.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 11113
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 7:34:38 PM   
Canoerebel

9/3/44

KB & DEI: KB may be waving goodbye to the DEI.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11114
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 7:51:03 PM   
Canoerebel

9/3/44

China: Will the Japanese dare enter the Allied bases on the coast?

Indochina: What exactly is the plan for the two divisions just landed at Vinh?

Appeasing the Moose: 4EB dropped mines at Victoria Point, sinking a barge. This was the first port mining mission of the war. No doubt it has John quaking in his slippers. (Missions against Saigon and Singers declined to fly, darn it.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/28/2017 7:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11115
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 7:59:53 PM   
Lecivius

The IJ Army NW of Amoy is in clear terrain. Your not gonna bomb them yet?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11116
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 8:13:59 PM   
Canoerebel

Our house rule prohibits use of 4EB against ground troops outside base hexes. I could use 2EB now, but they're productively employed against Formosa targets, and I don't want to do anything that might discourage John from visiting a coastal base. Ordinarily I'd say there's no way he'd do so, but he's a stubborn, stubborn man.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11117
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 8:35:47 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Our house rule prohibits use of 4EB against ground troops outside base hexes.

Seriously?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11118
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 8:50:18 PM   
Canoerebel

I didn't really know what I was doing when we discussed house rules. I assumed that everything was standard and there for a good reason.

That's a mistake I won't make in the future.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11119
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/28/2017 9:09:54 PM   
witpqs

"standard", like in any contract or T&Cs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11120
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 1:49:30 PM   
jwolf

Can you park a surface force at Foochow in order to discourage enemy meddling by sea there?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11121
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 1:54:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Sure. I've done so in the past and I'll do so again in the future.

I had eight Fletcher's guarding Foochow. Six of them went under while clashing with the two IJN combat TFs that moved into the East China Sea.

This is another of the endless Rocks.Papers.Scissors. situations in AE. To protect an airfield from bombardment, you have to have ships; the ships have to be strong enough to withstand what the enemy is likely to bring; the ships must be protected by strong CAP; the base must have enough supply for the airfield to function properly; and you have to constantly re-evaluate the situation and make adjustments, because the enemy can see exactly what's at that forward base and plan accordingly to deliver knockout blows that will overwhelm your defenses.

Going forward, the big airfields on Formosa are just as important as Foochow, especially the one at Taihoku. It's just as close to Tokyo and the major Home Island bases from there south. Providing proper security for Foochow and Taihoku will be paramount. John shifting KB up this way will complicate matters.

But it's an opportunity to seek and engage in decisive battle.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11122
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:01:58 PM   
MakeeLearn

How are things looking and what's in the planning, from a pure Chinese point of view?

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 6/29/2017 2:02:33 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11123
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:08:43 PM   
Canoerebel

The Chinese have been serving the same function since '42 - maintaining a strong MLR as far from the coast as possible. The objective was to keep John's main army in China as far from those coastal cities as possible. The objective has largely been completed now.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, the Japanese MLR in western China should collapse. As John gradually withdraws units to meet the coastal emergency, the Allies will be reinforcing from Indochina. These reinforcements and the proximity of big Allied airfields should result in a breakthrough. That won't happen in a fortnight, but it should happen within six to eight weeks.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 11124
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:17:02 PM   
Lowpe

Basic port defense for the allies goes something like this:

2 PT boat squadrons
1 Brooklyn/Fletcher Squadron threat level low or multiple small task forces (say 3 Fletchers each all set to low).
Some mines
Some cd guns
One Avenger squadron on night naval attack from safe runway with torpedoes and 80 exp pilots
Night naval search
half dozen subs set to absolute
Some fighters LRCAP the base or just CAP from the base

If you want to help your destroyers fight and preserve the base from bombarding IJN destroyers use more squadrons on night naval attack.

If you want to fight the incoming bombardment, run two North Carolina's and 8 Fletchers in a high numbered task force night after night.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/29/2017 2:18:01 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11125
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:21:29 PM   
Lowpe

I think you should assign one 4E beastie squadrons to night operations and be sending it out routinely so you start to master night strategic bombing. See what works, what doesn't, keep john guessing.

Raids like this are force multipliers as it makes Japan perform more clicks per turn for your investment of three clicks.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11126
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:39:48 PM   
jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Raids like this are force multipliers as it makes Japan perform more clicks per turn for your investment of three clicks.

So ... we have the air war, the sub war, the surface war, the ground war ... and now, the carpal tunnel war!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11127
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 2:56:52 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

So ... we have the air war, the sub war, the surface war, the ground war ... and now, the carpal tunnel war!

Carpal Tunnel Rat equipment...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 11128
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 4:24:01 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Basic port defense for the allies goes something like this:

2 PT boat squadrons
1 Brooklyn/Fletcher Squadron threat level low or multiple small task forces (say 3 Fletchers each all set to low).
Some mines
Some cd guns
One Avenger squadron on night naval attack from safe runway with torpedoes and 80 exp pilots
Night naval search
half dozen subs set to absolute
Some fighters LRCAP the base or just CAP from the base

If you want to help your destroyers fight and preserve the base from bombarding IJN destroyers use more squadrons on night naval attack.

If you want to fight the incoming bombardment, run two North Carolina's and 8 Fletchers in a high numbered task force night after night.

Nice theory, until you have 30 ports to guard.

The Moose

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11129
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/29/2017 5:43:38 PM   
Canoerebel

9/4/44

Peep Show II: Allied army on Formosa is monstrous - 3350 AV ashore with all kinds of support and supplies. Mostly these are experienced or elite units with '44 squads and equipment. The army will get underway day after tomorrow (5th Marine Div. needs another day to unload).

An IJA recon regiment crossed the river into Taichu from Kagi, committing seppuku but giving John good info on what's there.

Taichu port + naval support appears capable of replenishing BB main gun ammo, at least to some extent. If Allied bombardment TFs can simply repeatedly bombard John's stacks in the open terrain at Taihoku, Kagi and Takao, he'll be in a bad way.

I think the Allies may have the supplies, position, and weight of arms to assert complete control over this sector within a week if John doesn't do something radical to contest. His best chance is to deploy KB...but will he do so?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11130
Page:   <<   < prev  369 370 [371] 372 373   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  369 370 [371] 372 373   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI