Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 4:52:52 PM   
Chickenboy

CR,

A screenshot of P/NG and surrounds with your anticipated forces deployed would be useful. Similarly, your information about his garrisons in the area would also be useful.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1891
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:00:33 PM   
Canoerebel

Andre, I'll post some screen shots later today although they won't reveal anything in particular. In the meantime, here's the skinny on what's going on:

1. I know PM is garrisoned by 144th Regiment. There's probably more there, but I don't think a division is posted there. No SigInt of troops there or going there in many months (other than 144th RCT). The airfield went from level four to five a few weeks ago. That's the only base building I've seen on New Guinea in the past two months.

2. Horn Island is held by a small force but may be getting 38th Infantry Div. (according to SigInt). The airfield went to level two a week or so back.

3. Merauke is quiet and the base facilities undeveloped.

4. Milne Bay is developed substantially and probably has a mixed brigade and possibly has a division, though I haven't seen any SigInt since early on (when I got reports that 2nd Div. was going there, but that unit was committed to Luganville for many months, though I haven't "seen it" since the island fell back around June).

5. I've had troops prepping for Milne Bay and offshore islands since early in the game, including Americal regiments. I haven't added any troops to Milne prep since the first of the year.

6. Tons of Allied troops are prepping for Horn Island, Port Moresby, Merauke, and some of the Gulf of Carpenteria bases and islands, for months. Many of these troops are currently located in Sydney and Hobart, with more aboard marus inbound.

7. It's unlikely John is getting SigInt of my troop prep, but it's certainly possible he's been picking up radio traffic ("signals") emanating from my many troop transports making the long, long journey to Hobart, right?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1892
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:07:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
7. It's unlikely John is getting SigInt of my troop prep, but it's certainly possible he's been picking up radio traffic ("signals") emanating from my many troop transports making the long, long journey to Hobart, right?

I think this is a fair generalization-that Japanese SigInt sucks ('troop X prepping for location Y' or 'troop X aboard ship Y heading for location Z'), but "Huff Duff" (Radio frequency direction finding / tracking) comes up with a few surprises.

Whether or not this is the case in your game, I cannot say, as I am reading both AARs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1893
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:09:21 PM   
Canoerebel

For nearly a year, I've been working on a set of five poems - accompanied by brief prose and photographs - for a tribute to the Battle of Chickamauga sesquicentennial this year. This has been one of my favorite places since my first visit as a young teen back in 1974, so the project has been a labor of love. Each of the five poems is nearly finished, though some tweaking remains to be done. Here's one of the five - written about a Union officer who performed remarkably at Snodgrass Hill on the second day of the battle. (Note: This is not the layout for the magazine; I'll leave that to my designer, who knows what he's doing. This is just my own layout to visualize how I think each poem might "work.")

Hopefully, a JPEG will be legible. Also, poetry is a rather unique form of art. Some people just hate it. Others hate certain kinds of poetry. Badly written poetry is an abomination and an embarrasment. I've worked hard on this and I like it, but I'm dipping into a form of art I'm not very familiar with.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1894
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:13:35 PM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

All of my units are prepping for their targets - some for many weeks, others for many months. If John got SigInt, that would be incredibly unusual, right? If he did, I'm screwed. But, if he did he'd be garrisoning alot more than Horn Island. All of his spidey senses would have tingled to the point of climax. He'd be loading up every base. But things are pretty quiet except for Horn Island. Very odd.

I had assumed as much, considering your impending D-Day schedule, but wasn't sure and wanted to confirm.

I agree that a SigInt hit would be incredibly unusual, but I'm just throwing ideas around to see what feels right. Right now, nothing does and that's what has me confused about the SigInt on 38th Div. Is it possible for SigInt to be wrong? I mean, we have FoW in everything else, do we know if SigInt is subject to FoW as well or is it considered to be filtered already?

I've got too many unanswered questions about the situation, but one thing does come to mind and that is that John seems to suspect that something is up. PM only having a single INF unit garrisoning it is either incomplete intel on the Allied part or John is trying to create a honey trap, with 38th Div acting as the hammer.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1895
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:15:43 PM   
Canoerebel

My experience is that SigInt is dead accurate. When I get a report of "Kaga at xx/yy" or "38/c Div. on Glockenspiel Maru moving to Sticky Island," I take them for gospel.

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 1896
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:16:43 PM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

For nearly a year, I've been working on a set of five poems - accompanied by brief prose and photographs - for a tribute to the Battle of Chickamauga sesquicentennial this year. This has been one of my favorite places since my first visit as a young teen back in 1974, so the project has been a labor of love. Each of the five poems is nearly finished, though some tweaking remains to be done. Here's one of the five - written about a Union officer who performed remarkably at Snodgrass Hill on the second day of the battle. (Note: This is not the layout for the magazine; I'll leave that to my designer, who knows what he's doing. This is just my own layout to visualize how I think each poem might "work.")

Hopefully, a JPEG will be legible. Also, poetry is a rather unique form of art. Some people just hate it. Others hate certain kinds of poetry. Badly written poetry is an abomination and an embarrasment. I've worked hard on this and I like it, but I'm dipping into a form of art I'm not very familiar with.

What magazine would this be CR? It looks like something I'd see in The Stainless Banner.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1897
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:19:13 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm not familiar with The Stainless Banner , but this will appear in the autumn issue of Georgia Backroads magazine (unless somebody I work with tells me, "Whoa! This is an embarrassment!"). Of the five poems, two pertain to Union officers and three to Confederates.

Post #: 1898
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:21:49 PM   
Chickenboy

By and large, I liked this. I would ask your opinion about a stylistic difference, Dan. I enjoy word play and language and think that I'm better than average in manipulating words to suit my ends.

With that in mind, I ask about the use of the word 'infraction'. It's such a technical term and has an unromantic hard 'k' sound to it. I was wondering what your opinion would be of the use of the word 'charge' here. One can be brought up on false charges or charged with something. Of course, there is the other meaning-that of a military unit 'charging' a point. I'm omitting the electrical term as that alternative definition / alliterative has no use here.

Would you consider using the word 'charge' in place of 'infraction' here? You could insinutate 'repulsion of many charges' and let the double entendre hang with the reader. Just a thought.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1899
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:25:39 PM   
Canoerebel

Great suggestion, Andre. After lunch, I'll look at this again with that in mind. I hadn't even considered the "harshness" of the pronunciation of infraction, but now that you point it out, it's obvious. (In one of the other poems, one of my assistants urged me to change "plug a gap" to "close a gap" for similar reasons.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1900
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:26:24 PM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

I'm not familiar with The Stainless Banner , but this will appear in the autumn issue of Georgia Backroads magazine (unless somebody I work with tells me, "Whoa! This is an embarrassment!"). Of the five poems, two pertain to Union officers and three to Confederates.

The Stainless Banner can be found here.

I think you'll find it interesting.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1901
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:30:37 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Andre, I'll post some screen shots later today although they won't reveal anything in particular. In the meantime, here's the skinny on what's going on:

1. I know PM is garrisoned by 144th Regiment. There's probably more there, but I don't think a division is posted there. No SigInt of troops there or going there in many months (other than 144th RCT). The airfield went from level four to five a few weeks ago. That's the only base building I've seen on New Guinea in the past two months.

2. Horn Island is held by a small force but may be getting 38th Infantry Div. (according to SigInt). The airfield went to level two a week or so back.

3. Merauke is quiet and the base facilities undeveloped.

4. Milne Bay is developed substantially and probably has a mixed brigade and possibly has a division, though I haven't seen any SigInt since early on (when I got reports that 2nd Div. was going there, but that unit was committed to Luganville for many months, though I haven't "seen it" since the island fell back around June).

5. I've had troops prepping for Milne Bay and offshore islands since early in the game, including Americal regiments. I haven't added any troops to Milne prep since the first of the year.

6. Tons of Allied troops are prepping for Horn Island, Port Moresby, Merauke, and some of the Gulf of Carpenteria bases and islands, for months. Many of these troops are currently located in Sydney and Hobart, with more aboard marus inbound.

CR what do you bases look like in Northern Australia and how do your Air assets look? Are you pools low due to the recent engagement in Burma? I presume you will be doing some support via LBA. You might get the first shot in but the KB may be on you soon after

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1902
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:35:11 PM   
Canoerebel

My bases in NE (true) Oz are in pretty good shape. Every one of them is 98% to 99% ready to go to a higher level (I stopped them so that base building doesn't tip of John that's something's coming). I think Townsville and Charters are level four or so. Cairns is still small - probably a two or three. Cooktown is a one (but will go to two as soon as I hit "build").

I have a decent number of squadrons in Oz, including a bunch of USN divebomers, army and navy fighters, and 4EB. The Australian squadrons are also present and will be a big help - the Kittyhawks fought some bloody and succsessful campaigns early in the war. I'm not expecting land-based air to be a huge player in this operation, but it's there if Japan presses me back to my Oz bases.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1903
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:39:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Great suggestion, Andre. After lunch, I'll look at this again with that in mind. I hadn't even considered the "harshness" of the pronunciation of infraction, but now that you point it out, it's obvious. (In one of the other poems, one of my assistants urged me to change "plug a gap" to "close a gap" for similar reasons.

Would you consider, "Stripped of what was his" in place of "In losing what was his"? The former suggests a more decisive act. The latter a more passive occurence.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1904
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 5:46:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Sure, I'll consider that. I think that's a much stronger way of saying it. :)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1905
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 6:42:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Kinda turning my AAR into a blog, but now I can honestly claim time on the forum is work!

Andre, I changed "In losing..." to "Stripped of." Great suggestion.

I'm still mulling over how to best change "infraction." I agree that it has a harsh pronunciation warranting the use of a better word. I'm toying with "charge" but leaning towards using "offense." I think that might offer the same benefit while also providing more clarity for the reader.

Thank you for the suggestions!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1906
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 7:44:30 PM   
Canoerebel

9/29/42

I think the Great Horn Island Mystery has been solved. More about this below.

Bay of Bengal: Another quiet day free from enemy incursions by sea or air. Those IJN raiders have disappeared into the Arabian Sea. There's precious little Allied shipping there, so we'll see what develops. The long line of damaged Allied ships continues to make the run to Colombo (and some then go further) without incident. I'm surprised subs haven't picked off any, yet, and that John hasn't done a carrier raid. Some of the most heavily damaged will be covering the dangerous part of the run over the next few days.

Burma: The 7th Indian Div. attack vs. 21 Mixed Brigade comes off at a surprising 1:1, destroying six squads and damaged 32. The Indians suffer but three squads damaged and little to no fatigue, so they'll try again tomorrow, preceded once again by some 2EB raids. Taking this hex will isolate a few weak IJA units further up the rail line, including 25th Army HQ (what's it doing way up there?).

Pacific: The two small bases west of Kodiak will be increasing airfield levels over the next few days. IJN subs are nosing around Prince Rupert and San Fran. I still hold small hope that John might fall for a feint up this way. IJN subs south of New Zealand get reports on two transport TFs, but no altercations take place. John is also reconning on occasion bases like Pago Pago and Suva. So he's probably not sure where exactly the move is coming: New Caledonia? New Guinea? Luganville?

SWPac: SigInt that 5th IJA Div. is aboard a maru bound for Horn Island! John isn't completely nuts, so I feel sure this means John is using the traditional "SigInt feint" - false setting of a destination point while using waypoints to unload troops elsewhere. I don't think John has done this before, so he might be getting some encouragement or mentoring. 5th Div. was posted at Cocos Island since that base fell in December. John probably replaced it with a brigade. A three-DD TF recently cruised near the island without triggering and patrol detection, so I certainly think John's dismissed it as a near-term Allied target.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1907
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 8:39:02 PM   
Cribtop

A few comments:

First, cool poem on Chickamauga. I agree that the change to stripped is good. Also, consider "minor charges" as the use of the plural helps to put the reader's mind in a judicial context rather than creating confusion with the military aspects of the singular "charge."

Second, note that it was Hood's Texas Brigade that broke the line in the first place.

Third, the Horn Island thing could be the destination feint as you describe, or it could be a major reinforcement or even invasion convoy moving to Horn as a preliminary rendezvous point prior to its ultimate destination. Horn Is is a particularly interesting "waypoint" for a convoy bound for invasion of NE Oz or reinforcement of PNG. What's your nav search like in the area?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1908
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 9:00:14 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't think Hood's Brigade broke the line at the Brotherton house on the 2nd day of the battle. Hood commanded the charge, which consisted of three divisions - Law's (Hood's old divison, which included his old brigade), McLaws', and Johnson's (a fourth division - Hindman's - supported on the left of Hood's attack). The brigades of Johnson's division led the attack, followed by Law, followed by McLaws.

I don't think John is invading northeast Oz, though that's an interesting thought. All indications point to him scrambling to attend to the defense of his SoPac and SWPac territory, which I think he has belatedly realized was woefully underdefended. So I think Horn Island is a waypoint ruse meant to confuse the issue. I'd be shocked if one of the divisions isn't inbound to Port Moresby. Merauke would be a good candidate for another.

Down on New Caledonia, I think John has divided one division (56th) and split it between Noumea and Koumac and perhaps La Foa.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1909
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 9:10:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Kinda turning my AAR into a blog

Hey, how else do you expect to compete with GreyJoy's AAR post count?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1910
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 9:42:30 PM   
Cribtop

Well, shoot, the sign is wrong then.

I would agree that reinforcement is more likely than invasion, but yes, that is likely what he's up to. Assume he has a Division plus at PM a Division at Merauke and a reinforced brigade at Milne Bay, are you still a go? I also bet John will attend to Terapo.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1911
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 9:53:30 PM   
Canoerebel

I think John is actively attending to each of these places - Terapo, PM, Horn Island and Merauke are in all likelihood vulnerable at the moment. If I had things in place, I might pull the trigger. But I don't have the ships to carry the men, yet, and the carriers are still a week away. So I'll have to monitor - adjusting my plans as needed. Even if the SigInt dashboard lights begin blinking wildly, I might still go - or reconfigure in such a way as to try to draw enemy ships into a kill zone. Or I might full a feint while moving on New Caledonia, or vice versa. Lots of options available. We'll see. (I know one thing for certain - an enemy invasion of Tasmania would be doomed at this point - Hobart has 1200 AV. Just kidding - I know that isn't John's target.)

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1912
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 10:02:50 PM   
Andav

Since Allied Signet is so powerful, as a Japanese player, I pretty much never send my units directly where they are going. They will board Joe Bob Maru bound for atoll Nowhereville. The day after they leave port, they change course to where they are really going. If they will have enough time to prep once they arrive, I will prep them for another location as well. I have no idea if this helps but it makes me at least feel like I am hindering the Intel Monkeys a bit. Once they arrive at the location, I assume they will eventually be identified so they will prep at that point. This works when building the defense. During expansion, I used the same tactics but obviously, units needed to prep for real target.

I am sure you would be thrilled if he really sent two divisions to Horn Island!

Wa

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1913
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/21/2013 10:07:56 PM   
Canoerebel

The Allies don't get SigInt regarding IJ prep for an IJ base. That may help you a bit. But I might indeed get SigInt that a troop is located at said base or aboard a Maru making for the base. The latter situation is why IJ players will set a transport TF for a phantom destination and then establish a waypoint at the real target base. Waypoints don't yield "maru bound for Waypoint X, Y or Z."

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 1914
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 1:57:28 AM   
JeffroK

Are you using stacking limits??
If yes, can you fit 2 Divs on Horn Island?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1915
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 2:18:39 AM   
Paladin1dcs

That's a very good point. If you're using stacking limits, I think Horn Is. tops out at something like 6k troops.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1916
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 3:22:24 AM   
Justus2

How are your subs in the area? If he is using Horn as a waypoint/rendevous point, can you put a sub net in place to disrupt him when he sallies forth?

Playing/Learning Shadow Empire

Post #: 1917
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 3:45:55 AM   
JeffroK

"small infraction"
to
"frivolous charge"

??

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 1918
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 5:35:07 AM   
Schlemiel

quote:

I hadn't even considered the "harshness" of the pronunciation of infraction, but now that you point it out, it's obvious.

I like the poem and the suggestions, but this confession is practically high treason for a poet, to not consider the sound of the words when crafting the poem ;) Quite the infraction. I'd much prefer you charge the Japanese defenses somewhere ;)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1919
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/22/2013 5:46:12 AM   
JeffroK

He's a (was a?) Lawyer.

(in reply to Schlemiel)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI