Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:01:42 AM   
witpqs

I've obtained the secret rocket fuel formula, but in the interests of OpSec, I'm not going to post it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2941
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:08:59 AM   
jeffk3510

This game will do that to you, Dan.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2942
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:26:33 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I've obtained the secret rocket fuel formula, but in the interests of OpSec, I'm not going to post it.

It's OK to post it if you use Dan's mysterious number code ...

BTW - is it the rocket fuel that is making him feel like a crack addict? Where can I get some?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2943
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:41:52 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

It's OK to post it if you use Dan's mysterious number code ...

BTW - is it the rocket fuel that is making him feel like a crack addict? Where can I get some?

Yes, yes. I'm sure you realize that the following is in code. Try this 'recipe' and you will be enlightened (if anyone strikes a match behind you ). I think this recipe would make you wish you were a crack addict.

quote:

Recipe: Dragonbreath Chili
by Shelbi on November 4th, 2007 (http://www.thebronzekettle.com/)
Dragonbreath Chili

Ingredients:
2lbs lean ground beef
1 serrano pepper
1 14oz can of beef broth
4 oz of tomato sauce
2 1/2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons of onion powder
2 tablespoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of cumin powder
5 tablespoons of chili powder
1 jar (8 oz) of Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce

To Make Pepper Juice:
Chop the pepper and boil it in a couple of ounces of water. Strain and set aside.

Directions:
Brown ground beef in a large skillet or pot. Drain if necessary. While the meat is cooking, make the pepper juice. Once the meat is browned, add cayenne pepper, onion powder, paprika, beef broth, pepper juice, tomato sauce and water. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.

Add chili powder, cumin and Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce. Cook an additional 15 minutes over medium heat. Serve hot.

Note:
This chili is VERY spicy. The serrano peppers range from 10,000 – 23,000 Scoville units. This is a great deal hotter than the measly jalepeño, which ranks in at 2500 – 5000 Scoville units. The real kicker is the Huy Fong sauce – made with a variety of peppers and spices.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2944
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:43:43 AM   
witpqs

And then there's this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045467/Hottest-chilli-contest-participants-left-vomiting-pain-2-hospitalised-Edinburgh.html

quote:

She was taken to hospital twice in five hours after entering the event

{Gratuitous post count contribution.}

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2945
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:08:24 AM   
Schlemiel

(0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,987,1597,2584,2867,2939)

Bonus points for interpreting the full sequence.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2946
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:16:07 AM   
Mike McCreery

My math was wrong... It is adding the two previous numbers together up to nearly the end of the sequence.

< Message edited by Wargmr -- 7/11/2013 4:22:23 AM >

(in reply to Schlemiel)
Post #: 2947
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:51:25 AM   
Mike McCreery

I have to say I managed to read this whole AAR... It took days with solid hours of reading each day.

I learned A LOT!!!

My take on a few things.

For the people that believe this is a simulation and have chastised Canoerebel for sending troops to their death...
When you play the game, I hope that you write condolence letters to the pixel family's of every pixel trooper killed or injured in the simulation. NOT A FORM LETTER EITHER!!! It is completely insensitive to those pixel family's and a dereliction of duty to not write a personalized letter for each one. Think of the pixel people!!!

In my opinion this software is an amazingly and wonderfully complex game of chess.

OPSEC - I am amazed that this isnt a bigger problem than it seems to be. I do not mean in this particular game/AAR, I am referring to it in general.

CR - What a beautiful job of mis-direction on the assault of Sumatra. I remember seeing the map and thinking... That doesnt look like New Guinea!

I am looking forward to reading more and seeing how this whole campaign sorts out!

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 2948
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 5:34:24 AM   
Cribtop

quote:

And then there's this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045467/Hottest-chilli-contest-participants-left-vomiting-pain-2-hospitalised-Edinburgh.html

quote:

There are few things you can know in life with certainty. I KNOW I could win pepper eating contests. I go through a bottle of Habanero sauce (300,000 Scoville Units) about every 10 days to 2 weeks. That is the "daily" or regular stuff. For special occasions, I bring out Ghost Pepper Insanity sauce and other horrors. A fellow pepper fiend and I were trying a very hot concoction at a work gathering. We failed to stop a co-worker from trying some (he thought it was common salsa). After 20 minutes in the restroom, he had to go home for the day. He was in bad shape, sweating, red face, and other, err, symptoms.

My wife bought what she thought was my Ghost Pepper sauce once. I was eating it in Chili and was pretty impressed, thinking it tasted different and was hotter. She had accidentally picked up a novelty bottle that was distilled capsacin, basically pepper spray level that doesn't occur in nature. I ate that!

If only we could pick what line we go through first. Apparently "spice tolerance" was my choice at the Pearly Gates.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 7/11/2013 5:37:44 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2949
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 6:53:34 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

quote:

And then there's this:

quote:

There are few things you can know in life with certainty. I KNOW I could win pepper eating contests. I go through a bottle of Habanero sauce (300,000 Scoville Units) about every 10 days to 2 weeks. That is the "daily" or regular stuff. For special occasions, I bring out Ghost Pepper Insanity sauce and other horrors. A fellow pepper fiend and I were trying a very hot concoction at a work gathering. We failed to stop a co-worker from trying some (he thought it was common salsa). After 20 minutes in the restroom, he had to go home for the day. He was in bad shape, sweating, red face, and other, err, symptoms.

My wife bought what she thought was my Ghost Pepper sauce once. I was eating it in Chili and was pretty impressed, thinking it tasted different and was hotter. She had accidentally picked up a novelty bottle that was distilled capsacin, basically pepper spray level that doesn't occur in nature. I ate that!

If only we could pick what line we go through first. Apparently "spice tolerance" was my choice at the Pearly Gates.

I'll bet mosquitoes leave you alone.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2950
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 7:52:43 AM   
moore4807

"My wife bought what she thought was my Ghost Pepper sauce once. I was eating it in Chili and was pretty impressed, thinking it tasted different and was hotter. She had accidentally picked up a novelty bottle that was distilled capsacin, basically pepper spray level that doesn't occur in nature. I ate that!"

Cribtop - It brings to memory of Police Academy training where the recruits are lined up in front of a closed door and one at a time go through the door into a room where two instructors (with full face respirators on), spray the recruit with capsacin then tell the recruit to recite thier name and social security number. Once they complete the task they are let out another door outside where the majority proceed to puke from inhaling the vapors. By the time the last recruit is through the room is obscured by the haze... (Yes the unliked are chosen for last). I can imagine you not only asking to go last, but leaning into the cans of spray, yelling Cmon, is that all you got!!!

I used to eat the really hot (nuclear level) buffalo wings all the time, then came the hospital trip where had I scarred my esophogus so badly they had to do surgery. After that even mild wings are sometimes too hot for me "to stomach", but I can't give them up entirely...

I read both AAR's and proudly claim to be lurking I posted since this is clearly off topic and it adds to CR's post count!

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 7/11/2013 7:54:37 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2951
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 10:48:25 AM   
JohnDillworth

The secret sauce and the addiction test. If you have not tried it, add 2 drops of it to everything you eat until you can not live without it: http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/sriracha_addict

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 2952
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 12:22:58 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

1 jar (8 oz) of Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce

BTW, 8 oz is my MONTHLY consumption of this stuff!!!! That is some seriously hot chilli

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2953
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:02:31 PM   
princep01

Cribtop, having met, enjoyed conversations, shared meals and shared space in the Lone Star State with you, I must still confess mu astonishment regarding your ability to withstand that level of "spice loading".  Wow, I repat, wow, sir!

While never your peer on pepper consumption, being a fellow Texan, I did have a certain affinity for the delectible gastronomical delights known commonly as "hot peppers".  However, I did find my limit as a young adult when my Thai neighbor gave me some smallish Thai peppers of an unremembered name, along with a warning to be careful when consuming the delights.  She then gave me advice (good) on how to manage them before consumption.  Being oh so macho in the day, I immediately bit a raw, red one, chewed it up and shallowed the beggar.  Her eyes widened while the top of my head near blew off.  She, in her quiet Oriental way, simply said, The green ones are hotter than the red ones".  I was speechless (involuntarily, I assure you).  I didn't cry in her presence.  I treated the Thai peppers with great respect thereafter.

Now, as I reside in the twilight of my pepper eating career, I still love peppers, but they increasingly do NOT love me.  I treat them with the honor and respect a good hot pepper deserves and consume only a few on special occasions.

My hat is off in celebration for those of you that still enjoy these wonderfully HOT pepper concoctions.  Hail to the mighty and nutritious PEPPER!

(Checking my spelling so BBfanboy will not pounce and heap ridicule and shame on my humble missive)!  Sorry Canoe, but I just could not resist a comment on this great subject.      

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2954
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:39:08 PM   
Canoerebel

12/1/42 - D+21, Operation Des Wallace

Am I really three weeks post D-Day now?  Do you guys really eat hot peppers in these quantities?  I've only seen the "movie" of this turn, but it seemed relatively tame, so here's a summary prior to me actually scouring the map for additional important information:

On Land:  Preceded by waves of Japanese bombers that overwhelm Allied efforts at CAP, the all-important Allied attack at Medan comes off at 2:1, drops forts to zero, but fails to take the base.  IJA losses are very high (I think 84 squads destroyed).  Unless John reinforces tomorrow, this base should fall. It must fall.  It has to fall.  Over at Sibolga, the IJA landings continue.  It does appear that whatever IJA RCT participated has evaporated, but 2nd Div. is ashore at about half strength (and hopefully badly disabled and disrupted).  The Allies retake Trinkat via fast transport invasion, which is a small but nice accomplishment.  For divisions mauled thus far, I think Japan's Imperial Guards and 4th are shadows, while 2nd is tied down and likely very weak.  But every Allied division is a mess.  I have to take Medan and then begin defensive and recuperation efforts. Over in SoPac, a few companies of Aussies invade and recapture vacant Lord Howe Island.

In the Air:  KB air in all-out assault on Medan for second consecutive day (I'm keeping an eye on mission sorties; one more day and I bet John gets nervous).  Allied CAP - the great P-40K - doesn't do nearly as well as I had hoped.  Elsewhere air is pretty quiet, except up in Burma where 2EB continue to molest IJA 33rd Div. to good effect.  The LRCAP at Medan does intercept many transprots inbound from every direction - probably Port Blair, Victoria Point, Singapore, and more.

At Sea:  Pretty quiet today.  No major IJA combat TFs come in.  Allied combat TFs cover Medan, sinking a few barges and probably one SSX.  KB is still posted near Sibolga.  Allied carriers have moved south of Trincomalee, so that they are now in position to act more aggressively if needed or desired.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/11/2013 3:42:33 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2955
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 3:54:05 PM   
pws1225

quote:

KB air in all-out assault on Medan for second consecutive day

It's a sad day for JFBs when KB's air arm has to be used against ground troops.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2956
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:09:01 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

I have thought the same thing...

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2957
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:12:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

The secret sauce and the addiction test. If you have not tried it, add 2 drops of it to everything you eat until you can not live without it: http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/sriracha_addict

We keep a bottle of the chili garlic sauce in the fridge. Not sure that we've ever tried the other type in the picture, but we have plenty other types. We're not spicy food aficionados, so we don't eat as much as you're talking about. My wife can generally take things much spicier than I can, but I've noticed it depends on the spice. At our local Thai restaurant we order the green curry, she gets it at #4 (out of 5), and I have #5. And I eat it without the rice (low carb!).

Post #: 2958
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:13:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Allied carriers have moved south of Trincomalee, so that they are now in position to act more aggressively if needed or desired.

"South of Trincomalee"? You mean, like Perth? Not taking your word verbatim on position of your carriers, tricksy Allied dog!

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/11/2013 4:16:13 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2959
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 4:15:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

I've done it in a pinch, but it's not a good risk:reward ratio. It's particularly hazardous if the enemy has carrier air nearby and your bombers are all tasked with making some dirt jump somewhere. Can you say 'lopsided Allied alpha strike'? I knew you could.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 2960
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 5:17:29 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

We keep a bottle of the chili garlic sauce in the fridge. Not sure that we've ever tried the other type in the picture, but we have plenty other types. We're not spicy food aficionados, so we don't eat as much as you're talking about. My wife can generally take things much spicier than I can, but I've noticed it depends on the spice. At our local Thai restaurant we order the green curry, she gets it at #4 (out of 5), and I have #5. And I eat it without the rice (low carb!).

Try the other one. It should be in your supermarket, perhaps in the ethnic food section. It is quite hot, but adds quite a bit of flavor. A little bit goes a long way.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2961
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 5:20:51 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

the great P-40K - doesn't do nearly as well as I had hoped

If they are fighting KB pilots that are probably at a significant experience disadvantage. You Navy boys may do better. When the storm passes you have to figure a way to get the RAF into the mix. Their pilot pools have more experience at this point in the war. Talking baout the fighters, the bombers not so much

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2962
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 5:42:28 PM   
Canoerebel

My army fighter pilots are now uber experienced after waging the violent and successfull air war in Burma that lasted from June through October. The problem seems to be that while I intended to transfer two P-40K squadrons to Langsa, I actually transfered one of them and one P-40E.  Oops.

I know what you mean about drawing on the RAF, but I've got to keep some fighters in Burma theater.  Since the RAF fighters have short legs, they get that duty (they can't make the hop from Ceylon or Ramree to Sabang, but the Warhawks and Lightnings can.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/11/2013 5:43:02 PM >

Post #: 2963
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 6:01:15 PM   
Canoerebel

The pilots of the 39th FS are typical of my Army fighter squadrons at Sabang. These guys had 25 P-40K to face hundreds of enemy fighters while on LRCAP over Medan yesterday. They lost eight planes, but few if any pilots. They're fatigued now, so I'll pull them back to Sabang.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/11/2013 6:02:38 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2964
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 6:37:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Judging by the numbers, the Allies have done very well in the air war to date. Japan has taken many more losses. The Allied fighter pools are now drained, however, so going forward it's going to be very difficult to wage war. If the Japanese pools are likewise strained to the breaking point, okay. But if the Japanese have plenty of fighters, isn't there something wrong? I mean, if the Allies can wage war effectively but end up in worse position than Japan? I think this is a common questions, but here are the numbers that paint the picture well, I think. What do you guys think?

As of 12/1/42

Japanes Planes Downed: 7,122
Allied Planes Downed: 4,673

The Allies have lost almost exactly two-thirds the number of aircraft that Japan has lost. So, if anybody should be straining for aircraft now it should be Japan, right?

Here are the top 15 model losses in the game (12 of these are Japanese, three are Allied)

982 Tojo
800 Betty
778 A6M2 Zero
764 P-40E
576 B5N2 Kate
428 Ic Oscar
421 Jake
403 G3M2 Nell
381 Lily
323 IIa Sally
322 Ic Sally
316 P-39D
314 Ia Helen
268 D3A1 Val
261 A6M3b Zero
248 Hurricane IIb

American Fighter Pools

10 P-39D (a few squadrons still on map with less than half strength)
0 P-40E (a half dozen squadrons still on map, most at half strength or less)
7 P-400 (no sqadrons on map)
0 P-38E (one squadron on map with 7 planes, plus several restricted on West Coast)
0 P-38F (no squadrons on map)
4 P-38G (one squadron on map with 9 planes)
14 P-40K (five squadrons on map, mainly full strength)

RAF Fighter Pools - nothing, except a couple of Hurricanes

American Bomber Pools

0 B-17E (a few understrength squadrons on map)
12 B-17F (a few understrength squadrons on map)
4 B-24D (a handful of understrenght squadrons on map)
16 B-25B (one squadron on map)
3 B-25 C (a half dozen squadrons on map in decent shape)
11 A20A (one squadron on map)
0 B-26B (three squadrons on map with zero or one plane)

RAF Bomber Pools - nothing, except two or three Wellingtons

Are these numbers skewed or is this the intent of AE (or Reluctant Admiral)? Is Japan really supposed to be the major industrial power while the Allies lag badly?

If the Allies wage a mainly defensive air war, successfully judging by the numbers, but still run out of aircraft, is the intent to reign in the Allies and keep them fighting largely defensively in '42 (and probably well into '43)?

Or do I have a skewed mod or am I misreading things?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/11/2013 6:56:29 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2965
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 7:05:50 PM   
witpqs

AFAIK that's the way AE is. Mods could change that by upping Allied production or perhaps by straining the Japanese economy more. Those who have played with PDF=Off say that makes a huge difference too.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2966
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 7:07:33 PM   
Canoerebel

So Japan is the industrial power.  The Allies (when it comes to air power) are second rate.  Yikes!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2967
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 7:21:07 PM   
JohnDillworth

I don't know this mod well but I think resources are a bit lower for Japan than in some other other mods. More carriers, more zeros, more cruisers and some BC's and destroyers too but I don't think unlimited resources so he might not be able to produce billions of planes. you are going to be hamstrung until you start to get P-47's but more importantly Hellcats. Late 43 you can play the numbers game a bit more. Just drag as much AAA as you can to your big airfields. Might help even the score a bit but you can't win a numbers game in the air

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2968
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 7:24:33 PM   
Canoerebel

What's with the ironclad hamster? 

Post #: 2969
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/11/2013 8:05:19 PM   
Mike McCreery

I am pretty sure you are already doing this but have you swapped out all training planes with older models of fighters to free up any newer aircraft at CONUS or other training areas?

Post #: 2970
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI