Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule) - 12/19/2012 4:37:26 PM   
Bingeling

If it was not before this session, the game is about to be broken now. Most exciting is probably war with the XHumans, but they are too buddy-buddy as of this time. They are cautious, we are friendly, 89k trade is influencing things. They also have despotism, which leads to a bonus in attitude from our military dictatorship.

The most interesting war of all would be with dark red mortalens, but they are our allies. I think the border is too narrow for a war to be dangerous, though (we can afford both defensive and some offensive fleets). For offense a Crusher Fleet, invasion and a battle fleet protecting invasion goes a long way as long as they got some resupply ship in the vicinity.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 61
RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule) - 12/19/2012 7:58:22 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

All is quiet on the Ikkuro front...

Seriously, this maybe one of the best AAR's Ive read on DW. A clear example of how many ways there are to really play this game!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 62
RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule) - 12/19/2012 9:29:46 PM   
Bingeling

The Ikurro are so badly, buddy buddy, too. It does not help that the AI put an ambassador there.
Which probably makes sense, compared to most other AI priorities with characters (at least fleet admirals).

I general don't automate this little, but this is my style of fleet management. I am not exactly based on setting up the AI to run stuff for me (with defense sectors, etc).

The main problem with this game at this time is twofold.

1: Probably no challenge. I have a strong fleet, and I am a major player by all measures. The Ikurro was easy to control, with enough troops to cover lapses in fleet defense. If I brain fart and manage to get invaded from the south with all my troop transports in the far north, I have healthy troop levels all around, and 6 million to buy transports for, using my horde of large spaceports.
2: Saving and loading takes far too long. I got the feeling that I can go to the bathroom, make a cup tea, read a newspaper, and still return to a computer that is saving. And I can usually not be quite sure that the game is paused when I return (unless it saves with a sub-screen open).

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 63
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Yor Empire (Or how to suffer under AI rule) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI