Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great game - suggestions for improvement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Great game - suggestions for improvement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great game - suggestions for improvement - 12/26/2012 5:26:22 PM   
FOARP

Posted this over on the Slitherine forum but doesn't seem like there's many people on that forum (BTW - what's with having three separate forums discussing this game?) so I thought I'd post it here as well -

First off: congratulations to the Lordz development team on an absolutely awesome game. For ages I've been hoping that someone would develop a decent World War One game - one with the kind of open-ended game play that you see in Paradox's Hearts Of Iron, for example, and this game delivers that.

Secondly, having played around with the game a bit, I've got some ideas for improving the game that I hope might be taken into consideration:

1. Like a lot of people, I've managed to work out how to ensure an early victory for either side, I've taken to declaring war on Spain/the Netherlands (a reverse Schlieffen plan is a beauty to behold) in order to even things up a bit and add an extra theatre to the war. This makes for a decent alt-history challenge, and I'd like to see some way of making the game throw up these kinds of challenges without having to rig it myself. This could be done through the use of diplomatic influence points given for each friendly capital held to bring some countries - but not ultra-neutral countries like Switzerland - into your alliance or something. This would greatly add to re-play value.

2. Reduce the home port bonus range. ATM it's possible for the Austrians, for example, to dominate the Adriatic based simply on holding Split. Really, if this bonus is just a reflection of the advantages given by being able to lay minefields around home ports and so-forth, it should only be 1 hex.

3. Make air units sea-transportable. American air units should arrive in Europe.

4. Great Britain should send support to the Spanish if they are at war with Germany after a German conquest of France, but currently doesn't.

5. Great Britain shouldn't pile up so many units in Egypt - ATM there are so many it can't even move the artillery close enough to the Turkish lines in Sinai.

6. Independence events for at least Ireland, Poland, and the Ukraine, similar to that for Finland - however these states should not be neutral but should align with the Central powers.

7. The game ends too early - it should run until the start of 1920 at least, and preferably until the start of 1921. As it is there isn't time to research e.g. railway guns from a 1914 game-start, or enough time to invade the USA after conquering Spain and the UK.

8. Ports should give full supply to units belonging to the port-owner. As it is amphibious operations in areas without capital cities (e.g., North Africa, Ireland, any of the smaller islands) suffer from half supply.

9. Railway guns should be easier to research - like I said, from a 1914 game start with one research lab for artillery you should have them by 1918 but ATM you don't.

10. Consider making Canada a separate country - yes it had dominion status and not full independence, and the Canadian corps fought under British command, but it just feels wrong to have the British flag flying over Ottawa at that time.

11. Enemy capitals should not give full supply. If I've managed to cut off the entire German army in Belgium, I should not have to then fight them as if they were in full supply simply because they are holding Brussels!
Post #: 1
RE: Great game - suggestions for improvement - 12/26/2012 6:52:28 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

3. Make air units sea-transportable. American air units should arrive in Europe.

American air units were equipped with French and British aircraft from existing production lines, only the personnel travelled from the US.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 2
RE: Great game - suggestions for improvement - 12/30/2012 4:08:00 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

American air units were equipped with French and British aircraft from existing production lines, only the personnel travelled from the US.

Doesn't mean there's anything intrinsic in aircraft that you can't take them apart, put them in crates, and ship them across the ocean.

The british, for example, managed to get aircraft into egypt, and its not like they used native Egyptian production after shipping the pilots out :).

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Great game - suggestions for improvement - 12/30/2012 11:47:21 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
quote:

Doesn't mean there's anything intrinsic in aircraft that you can't take them apart, put them in crates, and ship them across the ocean.

The british, for example, managed to get aircraft into egypt, and its not like they used native Egyptian production after shipping the pilots out :).

All very true, I suppose it's just a feeling that Pershing would never have allowed it, working towards the concentration of American units, deployed on the primary Front, under American command, but this is a game where the player makes the decisions, so comments withdrawn.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Great game - suggestions for improvement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI