Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 12/30/2012 4:16:08 AM   
cpt_Venomous

Doing another retrofit to my fleets. Ordered my fleets to retrofit. My 3rd fleet is stuck retrofitting in some small starport. I tried to move my fleet out of there, because its not retrofitting at all. Fleet is not moving, and there is no way to cancel retrofit order for that fleet. Had my game saved, thought that by scrapping that starport would solve my problem. Nope. Scrapping wiped out all of my fleet, along with valuable commander and whole army of troops, and I need them ASAP for the final push on enemy capital planet. Is there any way to get out of that retrofitting fiasco with my ships and everything still intact?

< Message edited by cpt_Venomous -- 12/30/2012 6:18:29 AM >

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

Post #: 1
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 12/30/2012 3:59:04 PM   
Shuul

Looks like there is no resources for retrofitting on this spaceport, its a one bug that i hate so much aswell. only think i can suggest is to wait for transport ships deliver needed resources, dont forget to protect freighters.

(in reply to cpt_Venomous)
Post #: 2
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 12/30/2012 5:43:55 PM   
Bingeling

You can try to disband the fleet, and order the ships there to do something else (like moving a tiny bit, or refueling).

If you are somewhat lucky, all but the ones actually in the shipyards will drop the retrofit order.

For the future, it pays to pay attention to where fleets retrofit :)

(in reply to Shuul)
Post #: 3
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/1/2013 12:05:15 AM   
Registered55

it's a shame that one can't order a priority system regarding starbases (tell the private sector where to focus on), although in fairness the private sector are not suppose to be 100% efficient, but it would be nice if we had the ability to see where are order is (order tracking), so we can at least assess the situation rather than sitting ans hoping that the build in question hasn't been forgotten!!!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/2/2013 8:59:35 AM   
Gareth_Bryne

Disband the space port instead. It happens semiregularly on event\neutral spaceports you obtain. The lines that pack up are hopeless and can last for years.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Registered55)
Post #: 5
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/3/2013 12:58:31 AM   
cpt_Venomous

Actually that was a captured base, in an asteroid field. Figured, its best to scrap them as soon as they're discovered. Now I have two newly captured capital worlds with huge traffic jams, one has 140 ships waiting. I just built from scratch large spaceport for one of them, dint help at all.

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 6
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/3/2013 9:26:36 AM   
Bingeling

If they are able to whip out a large spaceport, it can't be all bad. Colonies captured from stable empires usually arrive with some resources. But AI empires can have resource shortages too, which would make your new conquest have one.

Are you sure those large spaceports are not chewing through their construction queue quite fast? And do you have other spaceports the civilians can use?

Post #: 7
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/3/2013 6:51:16 PM   
Chet Guiles

I tend to order fleets back to homeworld to refit, especially after I have gotten the Bakuras High Speed Shipyard wonder. It tends to quickly declutter the shipyards on whatever planet. Also upgrading the shipyard tio large helps a lot because there are more bays for refit work. And always try to send fleets to worlds with decent populations and at least a medium shipyard. Even then sometimes we have to wait for supply. Once the fleet is commanded to refit, freighters will eventually be tasked to bring the needed stuff to that world.

I hate when that hang-up happens.

Post #: 8
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/3/2013 10:37:09 PM   
Bingeling

Without every really checking, I also think that spaceport size influences how much resources the colony wants. So a larger spaceport makes the colony more eager to store for instance steel.

I usually have no issues in retrofitting at medium or larger spaceports, but my games tend to be "slow" which I guess also allows for more resources to be stored.

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 9
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/7/2013 1:14:25 AM   
SecuransRule

I feel everyone's pain. Sometimes this resource bottleneck can lead to some very tense and exciting moments, and other times it can be very frustrating. In my last game I had a belligerent hive attack me early on while my main fleet was refueling and retrofitting, and I lost one of my three planets before I could respond. :(

Is there a way you can get an estimation in the game (either directly or indirectly) about how long refueling/repairing/retrofitting should take? Again, it can be very frustrating when your empire crumbles around you while your ships are stuck in port.

On a related note, I've been learning the hard way that if you're unlucky enough to start close to a hive civilization, you either need to do a preemptive strike or restart the game. Also, hive ground troops can be extremely tough to dislodge should they gain a foothold on one of your planets.

Still in all, I love this game. I'm no stranger to 4X, and I've never seen anything quite like DW. Some say that the upcoming Star Drive will be the DW killer, and all I can say to that is that SD has some pretty big shoes to fill, especially with the upcoming DW: Shadows.

< Message edited by SecuransRule -- 1/7/2013 1:23:32 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/10/2013 9:48:32 PM   
Bingeling

I tend to get a feel for where and if it is safe to retrofit. When refueling, you should see where they area heading once the order is given.

In my latest AAR I had my worst resource crunch ever, somewhat early on. When it started to ease a bit (I had some steel), I retrofitted my large destroyer fleet 5 ships at a time to avoid the entire 1st fleet being stuck.

How to judge if the retrofit is safe? Have there been resource issues lately, or did you recently lose your mines? Is the spaceport medium+ (smaller fleets can use a small one too). Has the spaceport been there a while, and without a lot of ship building/retrofitting? And are there other major colonies/spaceports somewhat nearby?

I usually spread my fleets around a bit, and keep a couple at home when at war. If I got 3 major fleets on my south flank, it could be a bad idea to send them all to the southern medium spaceport to retrofit, even if they go one at a time. In those cases I rotate fleets. Retrofit one at the "capital" and send it south. Then send a southern fleet to the capital area to retrofit, with the plan on having it stay in that general area.

(in reply to SecuransRule)
Post #: 11
RE: Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. - 1/13/2013 12:06:06 AM   
SecuransRule

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I tend to get a feel for where and if it is safe to retrofit. When refueling, you should see where they area heading once the order is given.

In my latest AAR I had my worst resource crunch ever, somewhat early on. When it started to ease a bit (I had some steel), I retrofitted my large destroyer fleet 5 ships at a time to avoid the entire 1st fleet being stuck.

How to judge if the retrofit is safe? Have there been resource issues lately, or did you recently lose your mines? Is the spaceport medium+ (smaller fleets can use a small one too). Has the spaceport been there a while, and without a lot of ship building/retrofitting? And are there other major colonies/spaceports somewhat nearby?

I usually spread my fleets around a bit, and keep a couple at home when at war. If I got 3 major fleets on my south flank, it could be a bad idea to send them all to the southern medium spaceport to retrofit, even if they go one at a time. In those cases I rotate fleets. Retrofit one at the "capital" and send it south. Then send a southern fleet to the capital area to retrofit, with the plan on having it stay in that general area.

Yes Bing, what you wrote here seems born out by my experiences as I play the game more. I know for example that sometimes the AI will send fleets to refuel/retrofit at places where resources are low. As you said though, you have to get a 'feel' for these things that comes from experience.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fleet stuck retrofitting. Need help. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI