Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Petrograd bombardment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Petrograd bombardment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 7:38:00 AM   
ulver

Amaranthus has just conquered Russia by bombarding Petrograd with a battleship reducing the only industrial city Russia has to 0 PP by 1914. That seems to me to pretty much win the war all by itself. We are playing the Belgian neutral scenario but it should work just as well in a normal game. I certinaly can’t see any way to defend a Russia with 14 fewer PP – what is the experience of other players? Is there a counter I’m missing?

Also shoulden’t it start out being called Sankt Petersborg?
Post #: 1
RE: Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 8:07:39 AM   
Amaranthus

The counter needs to centre around port facilities extending into the full length of the Gulf of Finland. That way the Russian battleship has a viable chance to defend its key port. Otherwise, I've found a strategy to brake the game open (against Russia, and potentially cascading to the whole Entente), I agree.

Kind of funny, given all the discussion people had about the low value of the fleets, and the number of times I've seen folks disband their fleets, only to allow me to rule the waves and the coastal ports as a result.

Yes, it should be Sankt Petersborg, but I don't think they had a mechanism in the game to change the name after 1917!

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 2
RE: Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 10:25:06 AM   
Orm

quote:

Also shoulden’t it start out being called Sankt Petersborg?

Saint Petersburg changed name to Petrograd in 1914. And in 1924 to Leningrad.

So it is correct that the city is named Petrograd.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to ulver)
Post #: 3
RE: Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 10:28:50 AM   
Orm

Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway. Gulf of Finland should be home waters to Russia.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 1:40:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway. Gulf of Finland should be home waters to Russia.
warspite1

Nice solution

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: Petrograd bombardment - 12/30/2012 5:55:08 PM   
micha1100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Petrograd bombardment can be stopped by making the city a port. Something I think should be done anyway...

That should definitely be changed. Of course Petrograd had a fortress and a naval port (Kronstadt) to protect it from naval attacks and serve as a base.

Btw for those who care - the name of the city is actually Sankt-Peterburg which is German (the czar who build it was a Germanophile) and after the war against Germany started that name was deemed inappropriate so it was Russianised.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Petrograd bombardment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI