Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/13/2013 12:19:23 AM   
midgard30

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Hopefully you like the answers.

Engineers: No, but not a big deal since engineer work is done by regular units. Yet, I, too, believe they deserves their own unit.
Air assault/transport: Hell, no! That's a downer, considering the tactics that could be develop around this.
EW: Hell yes!
Radar: Super cool! These are great features typical to our time, that make us feel we're not playing a WW2 game.

All in all, I discovered FPG just recently. I was looking for a modern tactical game, and was really happy to see that there was a newer version of FPG in development. Obviously you're putting a lot a effort in this game, that is already looking great. Since there will be more features, campaigns and full support, so, YES, me too, this game is now high on my purchase list! In addition, modern warfare in the world of computer wargames is under exploited, as the WEGO system.

Keep the good work!

quote:

Good questions.

I watch a lot of war movies.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 151
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/13/2013 4:15:37 AM   
Mad Russian

You want the game months sooner than if you wait for airmobile assault or not? I guess if enough gamers wanted to wait for us to get that to work now we could.

I can assure you that airmobile assault is a key element of the first module to the system. Which would be released soon after we get this base game out to you.

As has been pointed out, I am an ex-combat engineer. There are things that we can do and will do with engineers and then there are things that we shouldn't do. We have put a lot of thought into how the Engineers are represented in the game. While it's not perfect it is pretty accurate. Mines and obstacles don't just magically appear. They take a lot of time, resource management and manpower to create. Is that what the game is about or is it about fighting? We chose to go with the fighting aspect and because of the time scale to have mostly pre-made engineer capabilities in game.

For those of you that have played FPG in the past you will see just how much has been changed. There has been almost an entire years worth of code rewriting done to the game at this point. The scope of what you will be getting in the base game is staggering. The fact that the maps can be created from Google Earth data is tremendous. I'm an old map maker at heart and the scenario and map editors get most of my attention. But this is a team made up of seasoned gamers. We know what we like and I'm pretty sure you will like the changes to the game as well. MONTHS of continuing research has gone into everything from the unit TO&E, ORBATS, combat SOP models for each country, interaction of combat delivery systems, etc.

This is basically a whole new game from the previous version. This is absolutely not a WWII game!!

Rob is a magician!!

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/13/2013 4:36:10 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 152
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/13/2013 5:12:10 AM   
midgard30

The more I read about this game, the more I want it.

quote:

You want the game months sooner than if you wait for airmobile assault or not?

Lack of engineer and air mobile unit won't be a show stopper at all!! I'm quite impressed already from what I've read.
And this is a big incentive to buy it when it will be out:
quote:

I can assure you that airmobile assault is a key element of the first module to the system. Which would be released soon after we get this base game out to you.

At this point, reasons that will make me buy this game or not will be the same as any other games that I have an interest for (good reviews, quality of AI, UI, price, free time, etc.).

< Message edited by macob30 -- 4/13/2013 5:19:50 AM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 153
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/14/2013 8:16:04 PM   
Hexagon

This is like when your mon says to you "what do you want, He-Man or GI Joe figure, only one" and you reply "both"

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 154
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/14/2013 11:08:05 PM   
midgard30

Indeed, indeed!

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 155
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/16/2013 3:04:46 AM   
Mad Russian

Few things have taken a back seat. Airmobile operations is one of them. At least where the helo's actually transport infantry onto the map and move them around.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 156
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/16/2013 4:18:48 AM   
midgard30

Don't worry about that. I may have left the impression that I was disappointed and impatient, but really it's not the case. I tried a couple of years ago winSPMBT, and while I thought I wouldn't be interested in modern warfares, I found the scenarios really interesting, especially those involving helicopters. I believe they add a new and interesting element in tactics.

That being said, knowing that game designers care about customers' input and intend to pursue development of the game is really appreciated.

Post #: 157
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/16/2013 1:56:29 PM   
Mad Russian

I will also add that the only thing helicopters can't do, at this moment in time, is transport infantry. The utility helo's are in the game and ready to use when the code catches up.

Attack and recon helo's are in almost every scenario!!

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/16/2013 1:57:31 PM >

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 158
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/23/2013 6:57:17 PM   
Hexagon

Interesting but a little question now that you talk about the high presence of helicopters... how is the AAA??? specially the emergency AAA like MGs, small arms (now with dismounted infantry... if a sheep guard can shoot down an attack heli with an AK-47 ... ) or the APCs autoguns (i remember that BMP-2 use of 30mm was in part to counter NATO helicopters).

Thanks.

Post #: 159
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/23/2013 7:36:06 PM   
Mad Russian

What is AAA?

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 160
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/23/2013 7:49:41 PM   
CapnDarwin

AAA = Anti Aircraft Artillery

Hexagon,

We have a laundry list of air defense systems in the game and a number of HMGs and autocannons are capable of shooting at air targets. Assuming they spot said target and aren't in the midst of shooting ground targets or getting shot at. I have, in fact, seen an attacking aircraft shot down by a lucky and rare non-ad vehicle weapon. It's in the game.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Post #: 161
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/23/2013 8:11:56 PM   
Hexagon

Thanks for the reply, i refer more to non specific AAA units (armored units with the amount of MGs, light weapons from infantry...) to scare or supress heli units, the typical "WTF i move them now" units for human player (you know you need think where send them to have out of spot and dont lose helis in stupid situations like be isolated in all sides from non AAA units but they damage/destroy/supress this high value units for nothing).

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 162
RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... - 4/23/2013 8:25:56 PM   
Mad Russian

Yes, of course we know what AAA is. If the game has detailed combat models for both helicopters and fixed wing CAS do you not suppose we have a full range of AAA assets in the game as well?

The Capn has been hard at work on all aspects of the combat spectrum. There is nothing missing. Relax, he's got you covered!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 163
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> RE: Better Get to Know Red Storm... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI