Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Having trouble loading some troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Having trouble loading some troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 2:17:53 AM   
RichM

Its turn 1 in the grand campaign and I've never done this before. I'm trying to get some troops and supplies from Australia to Espiritu Santo in hopes of building up the base there. I've watched the tutorial vid regarding loading troops, but I'm not getting the same results. When I try to load troops on a transport TF or an amphibious TF, my list of troops to load is coming up empty, even though there are troops with non-static load costs available in the hex, with plenty of cargo space to fit them. Why can't I load them on to the ships?
Post #: 1
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 2:38:26 AM   
wdolson

Are the troops assigned to a restricted HQ like Australia Command? There are very few units in Australia at start that can be moved without changing HQ. Additionally troops need to be in the right mode: Combat for Amphibious and Strategic for Transport.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 2
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 12:09:13 PM   
Itdepends

Love the signature Bill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 3
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 12:45:48 PM   
rms1pa

i've been playing for less than a year and think i have gotten my moneys worth.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 4
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 1:40:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Love the signature Bill

Me too. Playing a better wargame requires raising your hand and wearing a funny suit of clothes every day.

The Moose

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 5
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 1:41:36 PM   
RichM

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Are the troops assigned to a restricted HQ like Australia Command? There are very few units in Australia at start that can be moved without changing HQ. Additionally troops need to be in the right mode: Combat for Amphibious and Strategic for Transport.

Bill

Yes, they are under Australia Command, but so is the base on Espiritu Santo. These troops can be 'moved' but they cannot be loaded onto ships. Can Australia Command not move troops to it's own island bases? How should I go about the beginnings of building a base there?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 2:45:28 PM   
Dobey455

Its an unfortunate limitation of the game. Yes Espiritu Santu is under Australia command as well, but once you load troops on a ship the game has no way of controlling where you will UNLOAD them and no way to penalize you if you put the at a base under a different command.

To put it more simply, troops need to be under a non-restricted command to load on ships regardless of their destination.

Now......The cost to change a unit to a non restricted HQ in the SAME chain of command as their CURRENT HQ is 25% of the cost shown, so for example to change from Australia Command to AUS 1st or 2nd Corp (can't remember which is available at start) would be relatively cheap.

In a PBEM you would need to discuss with a partner as using this to deploy over national borders is general considered gamey, but many (not all) players seem to be OK with using this as a method to deploy internally (such as moving within the DEI or Australian Islands.)

It is no use in this case, but you CAN deploy units within the same command for free by air. For example to \ from Port Moresby.

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 7
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 4:13:11 PM   
RichM

Thanks. I have some related questions. Is it possible to change the nationality of a base? I know there was a large U.S. base in Espiritu Santo during the war, was it nominally Australian? Can I put a U.S. HQ there even if it's Australian? Is there somewhere in game where new ground units and HQ units pop up? I know I will need a lot more, but is it just a matter of waiting for them or do I have to do something? Will I know when they arrive?

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 8
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 6:42:26 PM   
rms1pa

on the top line are various icons.

scroll your mouse over them and labels for their use will show.

one of these (i) is the intel report. this will have lists of withdrawing and arriving units. you can resort these by date of arrival or place of arrival etc.

the combat report will give you after actions for the previous day
and next to it is the messages and code breaks for the previous day.

a wealth of information is found on that top bar.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 9
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 9:16:18 PM   
Lecivius

You can change the nationality of a base, just click on the Base, then it will appear in the top left as a yellow line that you can spend PP's on to change.

However, to the best of my knowledge, it does you know good. You get no benefit, other than perhaps transferring restricted units to that location via the air.

(in reply to rms1pa)
Post #: 10
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/10/2013 10:11:36 PM   
jmalter

changing the base nationality/command can be cost-effective in some cases.

a few North Oz bases can be changed to ABDA, & you can withdraw [R] Dutch airgroups to them. & you can uprate the Dutch BFs to unrestricted ABDA (for 25% of listed cost) and evac them to the new ABDA bases. but you'll to longer be able to use them for restricted Oz airgroups.

later in the game, strategic bombers will fly more often if their HQa LCUs are in (or subordinate to) the base command.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 11
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/11/2013 12:14:53 AM   
John Lansford

If the HQ for the land unit is yellow, you can change it to a non-restricted HQ if you've got enough PP (political points). You probably will not have enough early in the campaign game; you get them very slowly at first. If the HQ is in white, you are SOL and cannot change it at all.

It's usually cost-effective to change the HQ of a land unit than it is to change the HQ of a base, unless the base has very little strategic value and you can change it to a non-restricted HQ in the same larger HQ hierarchy.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 12
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/11/2013 2:59:51 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

You can change the nationality of a base, just click on the Base, then it will appear in the top left as a yellow line that you can spend PP's on to change.

However, to the best of my knowledge, it does you know good. You get no benefit, other than perhaps transferring restricted units to that location via the air.

I did change a 1/0 base in India to American control so I could bring in PT boats and landing craft around the Chittagong area. Then I built it up to a level 3 port. The higher the port/AF value the more expensive the change and cost in PPs.

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/11/2013 3:00:50 AM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 13
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/13/2013 7:55:00 PM   
paolorossi

Many thanks for this tip. I was playing Guadalcanal and at 1st turn I was trying to move some units from Australia and I was not able to do it

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dobey

Its an unfortunate limitation of the game. Yes Espiritu Santu is under Australia command as well, but once you load troops on a ship the game has no way of controlling where you will UNLOAD them and no way to penalize you if you put the at a base under a different command.

To put it more simply, troops need to be under a non-restricted command to load on ships regardless of their destination.

Now......The cost to change a unit to a non restricted HQ in the SAME chain of command as their CURRENT HQ is 25% of the cost shown, so for example to change from Australia Command to AUS 1st or 2nd Corp (can't remember which is available at start) would be relatively cheap.

In a PBEM you would need to discuss with a partner as using this to deploy over national borders is general considered gamey, but many (not all) players seem to be OK with using this as a method to deploy internally (such as moving within the DEI or Australian Islands.)

It is no use in this case, but you CAN deploy units within the same command for free by air. For example to \ from Port Moresby.

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 14
RE: Having trouble loading some troops - 1/14/2013 8:12:06 AM   
rms1pa

if you do air transport restricted AUS units by air note your vehicles and larger artillery will be left behind. you can rail the fragment to sidney and disband putting the equipment back in the pools. (mostly)

putting the depleted unit on rest while well supplied should eventually get it built back up.

pay attention,units on rest will get faster draws from the pools than units in combat mode.(YMMV as to leader ADMIN, HQs and supply levels)

rms/pa

the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to paolorossi)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Having trouble loading some troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI