Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in game? - 1/15/2013 3:10:28 AM   
RichM

Since MacArthur is commanding a restricted HQ, I can't move him right? I can replace him as commander, but it doesn't seem that I can then use him anywhere else. Each HQ seems to have its own separate pool of commanders. What am I supposed to do with regards to MacArthur's 'return'.
Post #: 1
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/15/2013 3:33:48 AM   
Blackhorse

MacArthur is a special case. You should leave him in command in the Philippines. When the USAFFE HQs surrenders on Bataan (or wherever your final stand is) that MacArthur will disappear. A "new" MacArthur will appear when the Southwest Asia HQ arrives in early 1942. [This is all a kludge to simulate Roosevelt ordering MacArthur out of the Philippines to take command in Australia. The Allied player shouldn't have to spend PPs to evacuate Mac. In the same fashion, the Allied player *should* have to spend PPs if he wants anyone other than Mac to command in the SW Pacific. This can't be done within the game structure, thus the kludge. One of my wish list items was code that would "pull" a leader from wherever he was if he was assigned as a leader to a new LCU or HQ when it entered the game -- to handle division commanders getting promoted to Corps or Armies, and special cases like Mac. But we never got that far down the wish list items before the game design was finished. ]

So if you spend PPs to change commanders in USAFFE, you'll end up with TWO MacArthurs in the game! And you don't want that because 1) You can do better things with your PP early in the game than "free Mac". 2) The Pacific Ocean is not big enough to contain the egos of two General MacArthurs.

. . . but if you do save "Manila Mac" he should be available to lead other US Command HQ.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichM

Since MacArthur is commanding a restricted HQ, I can't move him right? I can replace him as commander, but it doesn't seem that I can then use him anywhere else. Each HQ seems to have its own separate pool of commanders. What am I supposed to do with regards to MacArthur's 'return'.

< Message edited by Blackhorse -- 1/15/2013 3:37:55 AM >

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 2
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/15/2013 5:22:51 AM   
rms1pa

against the AI i have had 2 Macs. just hold out in the PI till SWPAC appears at Bris.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/15/2013 7:59:15 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

So if you spend PPs to change commanders in USAFFE, you'll end up with TWO MacArthurs in the game! And you don't want that because 1) You can do better things with your PP early in the game than "free Mac". 2) The Pacific Ocean is not big enough to contain the egos of two General MacArthurs.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 4
numerous cruiser and destroyers - 1/15/2013 8:01:28 AM   
jmalter

heh, i think the IJ player should get audio propaganda from MacHQ, similar to Orphan Ann's broadcasts.

(in reply to rms1pa)
Post #: 5
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/15/2013 12:28:05 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Well said Blackhorse, we should have the option of leaving old dugout Doug in the PI if we want, teach him a lesson and free Wainwright!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 6
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/18/2013 12:55:15 AM   
Cap Mandrake

The second MacArthur is a clone. It's part of a secret program run by Marshall and King. He is a bit of a dim bulb but oddly more easy to get along with and a particular hit with the ladies, I hear.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/18/2013 8:33:50 AM   
rms1pa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

The second MacArthur is a clone. It's part of a secret program run by Marshall and King. He is a bit of a dim bulb but oddly more easy to get along with and a particular hit with the ladies, I hear.

mac is ok but i am happier with the naval support SWPAC comes with. kind sad that Asiatic fleet doesn't have any.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 8
RE: Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in ... - 1/18/2013 4:44:49 PM   
AW1Steve

I've tried repeatedly to "get rid of" Mac. You can't leave him in the PI, he escapes. You can't send him to an insignificant command else where (I've tried). He's worse than a vampire, you just can't kill this guy. I've always wanted to either have a "put a stake through this guy" option, or "send him to a weather reconnasiance unit conducting a tree census in the Aleutians" button.

Then again , whenever anyone asks for a "wish list", I always ask for a "shoot the commander" button. (Or for the Japanese, force CO to commit seppuku button). Oh well, maybe in WITP 3..........

(in reply to rms1pa)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is MacArthur supposed to die in the Phillipines in game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI