Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B-17 Wierdness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> B-17 Wierdness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B-17 Wierdness - 2/7/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Jonathan1945

Hi, Was playing V4.5 today ... noticed one thing. When my big, heavy B-17's came in to pound the French, some of them took hits. One absorbed something on the order of 33 points of damage total, while the other was just hit once, then exploded... Is this much variation normal for aircraft damage? (I must admit that I haven't played too much with aircraft in previous versions, because I always feel vaguely guilty when I send all my a/c over AA positions -- and that never happens when I fire 8 inch howitzers. )

Post #: 1
- 2/7/2001 1:17:00 AM   
Grumble

Don't know about "normal" but yes, B-17s were famous for taking an amazing amount of damage and still flying. You didn't specify what AAA was throwing lead, but the single round COULD be simulating a direct hit of a heavy AAA round (pretty much fatal) and/or a hit in the bombbay or fuel tanks.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Jonathan1945)
Post #: 2
- 2/7/2001 1:38:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan1945: Is this much variation normal for aircraft damage? (I must admit that I haven't played too much with aircraft in previous versions, because I always feel vaguely guilty when I send all my a/c over AA positions -- and that never happens when I fire 8 inch howitzers. )
I did some tests with B-17's when 4.5 came out. I know that B-17's can absorb large amounts of damage but in these tests they were dropping like flies when hit by a single German 20mm AA-gun - Now that's weird One more thing: Does crashing aircraft cause any suppression/casualties if it hits the same hex which is occupied by infantry and/or vehicles? Anybody know this? (it's pretty hard to test this thing - aircrafts never crash where I want them to One thing is for sure - If B-17 is hit and is going to crash to the ground.....I sure dont want to be even near that place

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 3
- 2/7/2001 1:41:00 AM   
Don Doom

Especially if with a full bomb load aboard! doom

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 4
- 2/7/2001 2:31:00 AM   
Warhorse

Well, don't worry too much about this, these big birds, and other level/heavy bombers are all on the way out, enjoy 'em while you got 'em!! I should never have put this one in, anything other than direct ground support aircraft don't belong in this scale of game, especially level bombers. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 5
- 2/7/2001 4:26:00 AM   
x6ftundx_slith

so what is going in their place? Commando Solo i will sure miss them

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> B-17 Wierdness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI