Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Destroyer Smoke Screens?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Destroyer Smoke Screens? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Destroyer Smoke Screens? - 12/25/2002 3:42:16 AM   
BigJoe417

Shouldn't the destroyers be able to lay down smoke screens?

I wish there were more detailed battle reports on who is attacking. Like instead of "torpeedos in the water" it could say "DD Warden launches torpeedos". As it is now I dont know which side launched them.

Also on air combat it would be nice to see notices like "Enterprises FS1 climbs to attack bombers" so I could know what ship the planes are from. It would also be great to see the avg experience level shown for each fighter/bomber group. Maybe with a system of 1 - 5 stars with 5 stars being the highest exp level? That way I can see if my rookies are going against jap aces or whatever. Just a thought. :)

Also as far as destroyers hunting subs goes, the USN used groups of 2 or 3 destroyers working together to attack subs. One would drop dps while the others stayed locked on the target with sonar. Seems like if a sub attacks one of my ships and I have 8 freakin destroyers there he'd be dead meat!
Post #: 1
reports - 12/25/2002 3:45:32 AM   
mogami

Hi, Before you see message "torpedos in water" you see two icons.
Guns: on ships firing
Target: on ship being fired at.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 2
- 12/25/2002 3:48:07 AM   
BigJoe417

ahhh ok thanks Mo!

Can I ask you a totally unrelated question?

Many of my ground units show they need more support units?
They have more than enough supplies. But how do I get them more support?

Thanks

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 3
Support - 12/25/2002 3:53:32 AM   
mogami

Hi, Ground combat support comes from HQ. If the unit is part of a formation (Division, Brigade) it will have a HQ. Placing the HQ with the unit adds 20 percent to it's effectivness and provides the missing support. Units can also gain from 1 "higher" HQ (Corps, SWPAC,SOPAC) Some units are assigned directly to these "higher" HQ and need to be with them to gain the benifit.
Since SWPAC,Northern Command, SOPAC have more then one base these HQ can be sent in "Packets" Just send part of these HQ. Don't worry about the red on the unit it's self. Only worry if the Base support total is in the red. (If the base support total is white it means you have enough "higher" support there.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 4
- 12/25/2002 4:33:32 AM   
BigJoe417

Thanks!

Do you know if an enemy tf can pass through the hex I am in and not have to engage me in surface combat? Last turn my carrier tf was in the same hex as the enemy carrier tf and no surface battle? At turns end their tf had retreated I guess?

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 5
- 12/25/2002 4:58:26 AM   
Fred98

Eacj hex is 30 miles wide (50 kilometers).

It is easy, especially at night, for 2 TF to pass each other and miss each other.

As this is a game we would all have liked them to meet, but they don't so you can use this to your advantage, especially against a human opponent.

The AI opponent is poor but good to practise against.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 6
Aircombat Tf - 12/25/2002 5:36:55 AM   
mogami

Hi, Also Aircombat TF's are not looking for surface fights. If both leaders decline there will be no battle. To protect against running into rouge enemy surface TF's you can make a surface combat TF of your own and have it follow your CV. During carrier battles this TF may actually absorb an enemy attack. It also might find enemy subs. And if you think you know where the enemy CV will be during the night you can let it loose to try and find/fight itin a night battle. (or day)

You must be prepared for anything. I often slightly over load Aircombat TF's. Then If I need a surface fight I move the CV from one TF into the other change mission for TF now without CV to surface combat (this way you get an admiral to command surface TF) and let it loose. Works for bombardment TF as well. (Bombardment TF is for when enemy CV run into a nearby port to put out fires. When you bombard you often hit ships in port as well as knock out aircraft/fields)

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 7
- 12/26/2002 1:16:20 AM   
Reiryc

Hi bigjoe...

Hope you are enjoying UV.

Just a reminder, the manual is your best friend for many of the questions you have :D

Reiryc

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 8
- 12/26/2002 6:26:07 AM   
BigJoe417

Hi Reiryc,

Thanks. Yes I am enjoying the game! But it takes forever to play eats up massive amounts of my time. As far as the manual it leaves a ton of stuff out. Much of which is on this board posted by people who have spent 100s of hours researching and playing this game. Are these people retired? How do you all have the time? I've never seen a game that takes so much time to play and learn how to play. That being said I really enjoy it.

(in reply to BigJoe417)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Destroyer Smoke Screens? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI