Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Status of TOAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Status of TOAW Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/17/2013 11:59:01 PM   
BigDuke66

Well if he would pay some fee from his book earnings we might get Matrix to finally get moving.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 61
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/18/2013 1:32:46 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Thanks for the heads up. Excellent work . I think TAOW has a life of it's own, and will be kept going by the community until Matrix gets back on it. It can be frustrating , but this game has been chugging along for years, and it still rocks. I am willing to wait, and help with the community. Matrix is a business first, and their job is to make money. They are a LOT more supportive of their older titles than most other companies. With all the community involvement, I think we will eventually get there. In the past, I have found that it is worth the wait. Meanwile, we have some impressive additions by dedicated grognards.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 62
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/22/2013 9:14:07 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Well if he would pay some fee from his book earnings we might get Matrix to finally get moving.

Do you REALLY think money is the problem? If it were this community would gladly pony up and help out with the bill. Why pick on a chap who is simply writing a book that may help the sales?

I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 63
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/22/2013 11:05:00 PM   
BigDuke66

I don't know what the problem is, not even the ones that have contact to higher echelons at Matrix seem to know.

No one is picking, point is the engine helped him write the book, so what would be so bad to give some back. Of course if the book really help the sales that would already be enought, but honestly I usually stumble over a game and if I'm interested enough I start collecting material on the topic it covers.

Anyhow only the gods may know what this game needs to get moving again...

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 64
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/24/2013 9:13:27 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

In response to the many requests late last year, I just wanted to let you know that we are very interested in continuing to develop and improve TOAW, including the possibility of a TOAW IV in the future. We've been in contact with Ralph, who we would really like to be the developer going forward as he has been in the past. Ralph is going through some tough times and I think it will be some time before he is ready to start a new project or invest significant development time. Our preference is to give Ralph some time and hope that he will be available in the medium-term, but I know a lot of you are impatient for faster progress. Unfortunately I don't have better news right now than to say that whatever may come, it is not our intention to "retire" TOAW, it's our goal to continue and improve it.

We appreciate very much the work of all members of the TOAD team and the community in helping us improve TOAW to date and we're also interested in your feedback on where we should go with TOAW in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

Cough.. cough.. any news Erik? Any?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 65
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 12:16:12 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

hope that he will be available in the medium-term

Regards,

- Erik

Perhaps he was speaking in geologic terms.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 66
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 6:42:56 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

Hi guys,

In response to the many requests late last year, I just wanted to let you know that we are very interested in continuing to develop and improve TOAW, including the possibility of a TOAW IV in the future. We've been in contact with Ralph, who we would really like to be the developer going forward as he has been in the past. Ralph is going through some tough times and I think it will be some time before he is ready to start a new project or invest significant development time. Our preference is to give Ralph some time and hope that he will be available in the medium-term, but I know a lot of you are impatient for faster progress. Unfortunately I don't have better news right now than to say that whatever may come, it is not our intention to "retire" TOAW, it's our goal to continue and improve it.

We appreciate very much the work of all members of the TOAD team and the community in helping us improve TOAW to date and we're also interested in your feedback on where we should go with TOAW in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

I think dat for a quicker response it's better to send him a PM?

< Message edited by Jo van der Pluym -- 10/25/2013 6:47:11 AM >

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 67
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 12:06:35 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Well, what are the chances of success? I tried his Twitter account a few times. Let's focus on adapting some pre-3.2 masterpieces for 3.4 and the 'patches', which is what I am doing at the moment.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 68
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 2:43:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Just for the record, Ralph just posted an update. His first post since 9/2/2012!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 69
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 3:37:43 PM   
Lobster

Thanks for the intel.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 70
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 3:41:35 PM   
shunwick

I really hope he is doing ok.

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 71
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 4:48:50 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Just for the record, Ralph just posted an update. His first post since 9/2/2012!

Any news about TOAW?

Post #: 72
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 9:18:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

Any news about TOAW?

He posted an update: A new 3.5 version for testing.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 73
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 9:59:31 PM   
BillLottJr

Just in time for the weekend.

Post #: 74
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/25/2013 11:05:27 PM   
BigDuke66

Please take a photo, the Beta should hold the newspaper of today up.

(in reply to BillLottJr)
Post #: 75
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/26/2013 2:53:46 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any news about TOAW?

Is there a link to this amazing new beta version as i can't seem to find it anywhere

Post #: 76
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/26/2013 4:12:35 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any news about TOAW?

Is there a link to this amazing new beta version as i can't seem to find it anywhere

It's not a beta version. It's an update for the development team to test.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 77
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/26/2013 5:31:24 AM   
BigDuke66

When did you get the last one?

Post #: 78
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/26/2013 5:51:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

When did you get the last one?

The last one prior to this latest was on 9/2/2012.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 79
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 3:19:09 AM   
fogger

Was Ralph's contact on the non public BB?

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

Post #: 80
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 2:31:34 PM   
shunwick

Fogger,

It is my understanding that it is the latest version of 3.5 for the development testing team to test. This implies that Ralph is back working on 3.5 development. Good news.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 81
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 3:11:48 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

This seems like a positive development.

TAOW has been around along time, and has an outstanding community. I don't see it as a "nich market" product, but it doesn't have the sales of titles like "Halo" or other major console products or PC games (say, Civilization 1,2,3,4, & 5). Matrix is a business, and exists to make money. Customer support is a part of the equation. They do a better job than most other software companies. This is gaming software, not Microsoft Office.

Companies like Matrix will focus most of their time & money on products with the best prospects: new games, or major overhauls, like the (Matrix) release of TAOW III.

IMO, we get a great bang for our buck, and a reasonable level of support. Keeping one person on tap to support older titles that are still popular is more than most companies do. The guy that was covering TAOW ran into some problems. So what? Most of the real work is done by the community; people like Herr Oberst, Bob Cross, Larry Fulkerson (and a LONG list of others who keep TAOW alive & well).

I hope I am not out of line or just plain misinformed, but, as I understand it, Ralph is the person who modifies the code for the game, which was purchased from Talonsoft, or maybe Norm Koger. Ralph is paid by Matrix to keep and old but popular title current, issuing occasional updates. Other than modifying the program code and overseeing modifications to a title, the real work is done by people from the TAOW community who donate their time because they enjoy the it, and the fellowship.

I'll just wait & see (like I could do anything other than enjoy playing and play-testing scenarios for TAOW anyway).

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 82
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 6:28:20 PM   
wodin

You think Ralph is paid??!!!..if so I doubt very much it would be enough for a decent meal at a restaurant.

(in reply to PRUSSIAN TOM)
Post #: 83
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 6:58:09 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

Well if he's not paid, that makes a whole lot more sense . Other that maintaining the forum, what is Matrix's part in the process? They issue updates (which I thought Ralph did the code for), post official notices, & occasionally comment or give us a heads up. The tolerate un-official patches, thank God. I understand that guys like Bob Cross, Larry Fulkerson, Oberst Klink, plus a LOT of other people spend a HUGE amount time and effort, for no pay, on our behalf . I've never seen a game with this level of support for the community. BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK, HANDS DOWN. How does all the good stuff that has been done for TAOW III get done? Who does it? It is my favorite game; I spend far too much time playing it . I am just starting to learn the nuts & bolts , and I've owned a copy since TAOW-COW by Talonsoft came out. It is the most value I have ever got received for a game. (Or most other software).

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 84
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 8:14:51 PM   
josant

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any news about TOAW?

Excellent news, Ralph is back ...

Post #: 85
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 9:22:39 PM   
PRUSSIAN TOM

That's great! Can we check out the 3.5. I now it is in the testing stage, but I would love to see it.

(in reply to josant)
Post #: 86
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 9:45:12 PM   
shunwick

I think the Slitherine might like to give some thought to charging for updates. The original TOAW III release was in 2006 and Ralph has been providing free updates for it for seven years now and each update was substantial. A paid-for update would not be unreasonable in my opinion.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 10/27/2013 9:46:23 PM >

Post #: 87
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 9:50:50 PM   
CapitanPiluso

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I think the Slitherine might like to give some thought to charging for updates. The original TOAW III release was in 2006 and Ralph has been providing free updates for it for seven years now and each update was substantial. A paid-for update would not be unreasonable in my opinion.

I do agree.

One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 88
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 10:11:03 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: PRUSSIAN TOM

Other that maintaining the forum, what is Matrix's part in the process?

They paid for the right to access and modify the code and to publish and distribute the results.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/27/2013 10:14:51 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 89
RE: Status of TOAW - 10/27/2013 10:14:31 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

It's an interesting question. I'd like to see a sort of hot-fix patch which resolved some of the clearly agreed bug-not-feature problems with 3.4.

That would then prove Matrix's ability to deliver an unqualified step change from TOAW-CW- and I think the community would be excited about a patch priced around the $10 range which adds more features and options.

However;
a) this may not be practical given the direction of development to date
b) judging from the number of signatures the poll received, I think this would only equate to a few $k for Matrix, which is not really going to turn anyone's head

I also don't know whether Matrix's agreement with TakeTwo would even permit a paid-for patch. Still- any news is good news at this point.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/27/2013 10:16:13 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Status of TOAW Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI