Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Reserve Activations, over the top?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 8:38:00 AM   
Helpless

quote:

If the RAW are wrong and you are paying the same MP regardless of C&C then I would think you are right. What is the actual rule?

Michael, I've got too busy to answer Leo so he could correct manual. Reaction costs depend on the CC structure, but if your "command distance" is below 10% (ex. Corps under same army has 6%) you can assume that they are under the same HQ when reserve activation comes into play.

Difference is even higher when you deal with neighboring Armies. Or trying to activate reserve attached to AG or Front.

I'll try to answer in more details shortly.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 91
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 8:40:42 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Also what is the additional cost for Mot and Inf, the rules say 8MP and 2MP respectively. From my bug post you say its different to that. What is it?

+6 and +2

quote:

Regardless I still say there are too many Soviet Reserve Activations in 1941.

I can't comment much on this as it depends on particular situation. If you able to post a non-AI save with very high amount of Soviet activations we can probably take a look. IIRC, AI has some benefits when CC checks come into play.

< Message edited by Helpless -- 4/6/2013 8:52:36 AM >

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 92
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 8:45:34 AM   
Michael T

Ok If this is the case then I would agree that the Corp structure is better for reserve activation. So that is a relief.

It means disbanding the Corp tier won't help you out in this situation (not withstanding the extra Manpower).

I guess Pelton and Co are basing their theory on the RAW. It will be good to get it up to date when you get time.

Thanks for you input

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 93
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 11:33:07 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Ok If this is the case then I would agree that the Corp structure is better for reserve activation. So that is a relief.

It means disbanding the Corp tier won't help you out in this situation (not withstanding the extra Manpower).

I guess Pelton and Co are basing their theory on the RAW. It will be good to get it up to date when you get time.

Thanks for you input

GHC has no issues in the first plase with reserve activations as you know from our game MT. Every single battle I had the max per battle. You had to attack each hex 3 to 5 times to get a win when you started attacking in late 42.
This tactic does not work any more as the ammo bug has been nerfed.
Meaning it would be next to imposible to move the GHC lines if they retreated during blizzard and dug in.

1. Reserve activations are not the benifit of disbanding Corp HQ for GHC as you know first hand. They are simply 100% guaranteed if things are set-up right. Again there is no need to test this as it has been proven on the battle field vs YOU and many others.
2. There are no - % to combat modifiers for units from one Corp helping another in the same army.
3. 2 to 3x the SU commitment. As I have pointed out more then once, poineer,tank ect are put in the divisions with arty/AA and others in AGHQ. Again proven in game now by JB A-game and many others now.
4. 400,000 more men. DoH

The reserve activations phase of defending only lasts so long the true benifits of disbanding Corp HQ's in normal games ( our was not normal) its 2-3 that really add up over time. The 10% might not seem like much or 12 SU's instead of 6, but how many battles out of say 30 per turn are close? 2 .0 to 1 through 2.5 to 1? Allot from my exp. Close to 20%, that means out of 30 attacks SHC loses another 6 per turn. Thats huge over 120 turns. about 700 battles.

This game is based on retreat loses. As GHC loses to SHC from 43-45 is reallya complete non-factor as SHC manpower and armament pools grow no matter what now because SHC easly can railout all but 30 arm pts.

The plus is GHC guns, men and moral saved from the 700 less retreats. This also causes SHC allot long to build moral over all.

There is no down side to supplies.

If I start up another game instead of disbanding a HQ or 2 per turn starting turn one I will do 20 the first turn.

Personally I do not see SHC reserve activations being an issue. You simply have to change tactics as GHC, your not going to be doing a bunch of mad dashes from August 41 -45.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 94
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 11:40:21 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Is it the case based on Pelton vs MT?

You can not honestly say yes. When you attacked 1 hex 2 to 5 times how many times did I get activations? Every time? In the 5 to 8 hexes you attacked per turn?

If 100% is a bad %, I stick with 100%.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 95
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 4/6/2013 1:12:35 PM   
Michael T

This has nothing to do with our game Pelton. In the end you were getting thrashed so bad it did not matter whether you got reserves or not. Actually I preferred it as it just meant more retreat losses for you

You do as you please. With your kind of game you need the 400K of extra bodies. I use a little more finesse

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 96
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/21/2013 1:56:52 PM   
swkuh

To stay with the topic (reserves) it seems that some tweaking to the code might help, but there are tactics now that mitigate reserves. Bomb likely units, smoke 'em out attacks, tactical/strategic adjustments to avoid 'em, more reccon... any other ideas?

Another v2.0 wish list item. (But, think its too late for that.)

As I learn the game, I enjoy it more.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 97
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/21/2013 10:14:36 PM   
Michael T

If you can get at a hole in the line, infiltrate with a mot regiment, just to prevent reserve activation.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 98
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/22/2013 12:29:37 PM   
swkuh

Thanks, worth a try...

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 99
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/27/2013 2:17:02 PM   
bomazz

I believe the reserve action is fine. I have played several opponents that get reserve actions every battle, What no one has pointed out is it just takes a change of tactics. Load up infantry and deliberate attack. Reserve actions rout too. It will open up the carpet of defenders.

It will slow the tempo of your infantry. But if you are routing more units behind the lines no worries. I have evaporated entire rear areas with this tactic. the Panzer troops flow through and clean up.

Just my 2 cents

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 100
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/28/2013 1:08:01 AM   
Michael T

If your opponent has units breaking in any numbers he just doesn't know how to farm his morale up to 50. Play some better dudes and you will see what I am talking about.

(in reply to bomazz)
Post #: 101
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/28/2013 6:02:39 AM   
bomazz

Obviously an opponent that has figured out how to get reserve activations, is not capable of figuring moral out. It only takes a few routs to open a path.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 102
RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? - 5/28/2013 6:13:26 AM   
Michael T

Good players don't put low morale units in to reserve in the first place. They wait till they have morale close to 50. Lest the ones I play do.

(in reply to bomazz)
Post #: 103
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Reserve Activations, over the top? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI