Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Lost Battles are coming!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Lost Battles are coming! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 4:08:36 PM   
Philkian

Matrix Games is proud to announce Lost Battles, the latest expansion for the award-winning strategy game Gary Grigsby's War in the East.

Lost Battles adds more than 10 scenario to the critically-acclaimed main game.
Choose to play whether the short campaigns like Operation Konrad (Germany’s desperate defense of Budapest) and Operation Mars (Soviet offensives Operation Mars and Jupiter) or the longer ones like the Battle for Moscow (Operation Typhoon and the subsequent Soviet winter counter-offensive) and Vistula to Berlin (the final offensives through Poland and the fall of Berlin).

Adding to these campaigns there are three full Campaigns: Winter 42-43 (the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives including the recapture of Stalingrad), Stalingrad to Berlin Campaign ( the Soviet 42-43 winter counter-offensives which continues until the end of the war) and the 1941-45 Campaign (the standard full campaign with added sudden death victory conditions for both sides).

Get more information on Gary Grigsby's War in the East: Lost Battles from the official product page.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Lost Battles is an expansion for War in the East and requires the base game to play.
Post #: 1
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 4:18:11 PM   
morvael

Wanted to buy it immediately, but sadly it's not available yet.

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 2
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 4:25:02 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Matrix is killing me with all these announcements but never a release date. Announce 7 games I want but freaking never say a word on when they'll be done.. not even a timeframe.

It makes the wait hurt so much more.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 3
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 5:09:53 PM   
Joel Billings

Unofficially we're in final testing and we hope it will be published before the end of May (but you didn't hear that from me).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 4
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 6:25:21 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I can't wait. These scenarios are going to be awesome and will really make newer players want to try out the game. Especially with the "Historical notes and maps for each scenario included in an additional PDF reference manual."

This is a super smart idea!

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 6:34:18 PM   
amatteucci

I'm intrigued by the new 1941-45 campaign with addess sudden death victory conditions. It it possible to know what these conditions are?
Moeover what about the "day after" scenario (similar to the December 8th campaign start in WitP-AE) that was once mentioned? Did the testers think it was not a viable idea to avoid the usual L'vov pocket/Sir Robin problem?

Post #: 6
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 7:04:44 PM   
gabeeg

...this is the add on I have been waiting (hoping) for!

(in reply to amatteucci)
Post #: 7
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/26/2013 7:56:19 PM   
swkuh

Yaaaay...

Appears responsive to forum discussions...

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 8
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/27/2013 1:56:23 PM   
michaelm75au

I couldn't resist. Check the release date

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 5/4/2013 2:16:09 PM >

Michael

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 9
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/27/2013 2:36:28 PM   
Peltonx

http://matrixgames.com/news/1059/The.Lost.Battles.are.coming!

the 1941-45 Campaign (the standard full campaign with added sudden death victory conditions for both sides).

MT should be happy now :)

WitE is the best Eastern Front game ever.

The AI is in a class all of its own.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/27/2013 4:45:46 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 10
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/27/2013 5:05:17 PM   
gradenko2k

I'm glad they added more full campaigns this time around, although other full campaign starts are:

* A "turn 2" campaign
* An early 1942 campaign so that the German player is not locked into a Case Blue allocation of forces
* An early 1943 campaign so that the German player is not locked into a Zitadelle allocation of forces

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 11
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/28/2013 7:02:41 PM   
Numdydar

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the new expansion otherwise I see no reason to purchase it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3305426&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 12
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/28/2013 8:02:13 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the new expansion otherwise I see no reason to purchase it.

I strongly disagree. Its worth 10x what you will pay for it. This is a very minor issue in a game thats more complex then anything out there by 100x.

Threads on issue's like that are on going debates and I was proven some what wrong ( MT is always wrong by default) in the case of disbanding HQ's. there are plositive and negitives

Just because you read a thread where poeple are debating ( I tend to add a little more drama then needed) issues does not mean its a huge issue.

2by3 has worked there asses off to improve this game and it will get better with every passing patch/up-date.

No AI is even close to this one and the game is worth $10,000( USA and not mexican ect- yes I love mexicans(girls)) just to play vs AI.

It is the best Eastern Front game to date 2 yrs ago and is only getting better. The AI I beleive is the best of all time.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/28/2013 8:08:18 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 13
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 4/28/2013 8:08:18 PM   
morvael

2by3 needs our support. WitE is no longer main focus, as new games are underway, but we need a fix so we can enjoy the game until new titles will come out. Also, we know that the new engine is already working differently in that area and will not cause such problems.

Plus I like the list of new scenarios. Late war is fun, WitE shouldn't be all about Barbarossa and Blue.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 14
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 3:25:37 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

.... It is the best Eastern Front game to date 2 yrs ago and is only getting better. The AI I beleive is the best of all time.

Thanks Pelton, it's posts like this that bring me 'back' to WITE, a game that I, unfortunately, have not given the time nor effort that it deserves... I will most certainly pick up 'Lost Battles'.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 15
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 4:57:18 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

There is no change planned for this. There is a debate about whether corps HQ are useful, and that debate has not clearly shown a change needs to be made. Pavel, who understands the inner workings of the code more than anyone (even Gary, except for the AI code and a few other items that are all Gary) strongly disagrees that disbanding Corps HQ is the best strategy.

We appreciate the support of the community, and you should know that we're hoping to begin work on WitE 2.0 as soon as WitW 43-45 is completed. The good news there is that when we complete the final WitW map this summer, we will also have a near complete WitE 2.0 map done as well, so work will be able to start immediately after WitW is released. We think the WitE community will enjoy the new scenarios and campaigns that are in Lost Battles, and the release of the Sudden Death Campaign in Lost Battles is a direct result of listening to the WitE community. WitW is taking longer to complete than we had originally hoped, partially because we are tackling so many issues that people wanted to see addressed for WitE 2.0.

It's gratifying to see Pelton mention the AI, because so often the active community is focused on PBEM gaming, which is probably only about 20% of total WitE gaming. Gary has outdone himself on the AI in WitE. He continued to work on it for almost 2 years after release as we got various reports and saves. The DttD expansion allowed Gary to fix many of the AI quirks in the smaller battles, so there were only a few left to be addressed in Lost Battles. Although the AI is not a human, we think by adjusting the play level, players can get tremendous enjoyment out of playing the AI from either side. If you're a WitE player, please give Lost Battles a try. If you're a player of the long campaign, you'll probably want to start using the Sudden Death campaign in your future games.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 16
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 6:04:53 PM   
Hetulik

I'm relatively new to the game. What would be the differences between the original long campaign and the new sudden death campaign at a high level? Just the game automatically ending if certain conditions have been reached?

Post #: 17
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 7:09:24 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, each year there are conditions for both sides which may cause the game to end early with a declaration of victory.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Hetulik)
Post #: 18
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 7:27:36 PM   
sanderz

quick question

re this bit "....allowed Gary to fix many of the AI quirks in the smaller battles, so there were only a few left to be addressed in Lost Battles."

so does Lost Battles include AI changes not included in the 1.07 (or any future) patch?

thanks

Post #: 19
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/2/2013 7:46:02 PM   
elmo3

No sanderz. As with the previous scenario expansion, the EXE file available to those who don't buy Lost Battles will be the same as for those who did.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 20
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/3/2013 12:40:08 PM   
swkuh

Can only second remarks in re "AI," as tactics, strategy, and force disclosure seem appropriate.

Only odd thing is that opponent force disclosure once battle reporting starts is sometimes unusual but "normalized" if follow-up attacks performed. Can say what's up with that?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 21
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/3/2013 4:26:42 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

quote:

There is no change planned for this. There is a debate about whether corps HQ are useful, and that debate has not clearly shown a change needs to be made. Pavel, who understands the inner workings of the code more than anyone (even Gary, except for the AI code and a few other items that are all Gary) strongly disagrees that disbanding Corps HQ is the best strategy.

We appreciate the support of the community, and you should know that we're hoping to begin work on WitE 2.0 as soon as WitW 43-45 is completed. The good news there is that when we complete the final WitW map this summer, we will also have a near complete WitE 2.0 map done as well, so work will be able to start immediately after WitW is released. We think the WitE community will enjoy the new scenarios and campaigns that are in Lost Battles, and the release of the Sudden Death Campaign in Lost Battles is a direct result of listening to the WitE community. WitW is taking longer to complete than we had originally hoped, partially because we are tackling so many issues that people wanted to see addressed for WitE 2.0.

It's gratifying to see Pelton mention the AI, because so often the active community is focused on PBEM gaming, which is probably only about 20% of total WitE gaming. Gary has outdone himself on the AI in WitE. He continued to work on it for almost 2 years after release as we got various reports and saves. The DttD expansion allowed Gary to fix many of the AI quirks in the smaller battles, so there were only a few left to be addressed in Lost Battles. Although the AI is not a human, we think by adjusting the play level, players can get tremendous enjoyment out of playing the AI from either side. If you're a WitE player, please give Lost Battles a try. If you're a player of the long campaign, you'll probably want to start using the Sudden Death campaign in your future games.

Thanks so much for the reply Joel. You have really made me rethink things . So I will definately look forward to LB especially the new GC as that is what appeals to me the most.

Post #: 22
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/3/2013 11:43:25 PM   
Michael T

I won't be playing anything but the SD CG once its out. I have wanted it from day one. The thing is we now have 3 CG, the original, the 260 end July45 version, and now the SD version. So all tastes are accommodated for

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 23
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/5/2013 1:35:34 AM   
Manstein63

Joel,
Any chance you can let us have an idea of what the sudden death rules will be?
Manstein63

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 24
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/6/2013 7:35:00 PM   
heyhellowhatsnew

Can I slip you a extra 20 bucks so I can have this earlier? ;)

What is the price going to be?

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 25
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/6/2013 9:04:26 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

Joel,
Any chance you can let us have an idea of what the sudden death rules will be?
Manstein63

Scenario 11: 1941-45 Campaign—Sudden Death (22 June 1941 – 4 July 1945)
Scenario Size: Large
Turns: 211

This campaign is a variant of the 1941-45 Campaign - Alt VC260 campaign, with the only change being additional sudden death victory conditions. The victory conditions are the same as that in the Alt VC260 campaign with the addition of three sudden death victory condition checks made during the campaign. The checks are made at the beginning of the first turn of April 1942, April 1943 and April 1944. If during one of these checks, a player is determined to have met their Sudden Death victory conditions, the game will immediately end and declare a Decisive Victory for the winner.

April 1942
German Victory if victory points are >=242
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=191

April 1943
German Victory if victory points are >=255
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=188

April 1944
German Victory if victory points are >=210
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=150

The Alt VC260 campaign victory conditions used in this campaign as well are:
1. The Axis Decisive Victory level (Automatic Victory) is 260 instead of 290.
2. The Soviet Major Victory timeframe ends on 31 March 1945 (instead of 31 May 1945) and the Soviet Minor Victory timeframe between 1 April 1945 and 30 June 1945.
3. A draw occurs if Germany does not surrender by 1 July 1945 and the Axis has less than 142 victory points.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 26
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/6/2013 9:05:19 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

What is the price going to be?

I assume the same as Don to the Danube.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 27
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/6/2013 9:13:07 PM   
The Guru

quote:

The checks are made at the beginning of the first turn of April 1942

sob

I would have liked a couple of 1941 Sudden death VC too, to simulate Stalin's reluctancy to give up strategic cities such as Kiev, etc...
That would have been a opportunity for Cornelian diemmas: hold on and risk encirclement, give up and get dangerously close to the SD ( simulating moral collapse)

< Message edited by The Guru -- 5/6/2013 9:14:02 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/7/2013 12:28:13 AM   
Michael T

quote:

sob

I would have liked a couple of 1941 Sudden death VC too, to simulate Stalin's reluctancy to give up strategic cities such as Kiev, etc...
That would have been a opportunity for Cornelian diemmas: hold on and risk encirclement, give up and get dangerously close to the SD ( simulating moral collapse)

Yes this Soviet runaway strategy needs to be rubbed out. I am thinking of a HR that prevents evac of IND from key cities before a certain date might work. So if you run too far too soon you loose all Tula, Stalino, Kharkov IND. So you need to fight fight further forward to save the IND. But you will loose more units doing so. The SD conditions will prevent the crazy Axis running in winter 41/42. Just need something to stop the Russian equivalent in Summer 41.

(in reply to The Guru)
Post #: 29
RE: The Lost Battles are coming! - 5/7/2013 7:16:01 AM   
gradenko2k

Are there any on-going AARs that would have ended already under these rules? I wonder in particular about the Michael T/Pelton grudge match.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The Lost Battles are coming! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI