Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers that works on Win 7

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers that works on Win 7 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers that wo... - 4/28/2013 2:39:23 PM   
satch

I love STeel Panthers. Are there any games that are similar?
Post #: 1
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 3:24:04 PM   
wodin

WinSPWW2 now works no problem with Win 7...I found the extra resolutions really helped in making the game look a touch better aswell and it's updated every year.

Other than that no it's something thats leaving a huge hole that should be filled but there is nothing I know of in development to fill it. I real shame. Why this is I've no idea...as it would be a huge seller...just like Panzer Corps was. Do a similar modernisation of it as they did with PC and bingo..many happy wargamers indeed.

(in reply to satch)
Post #: 2
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 3:28:40 PM   
sullafelix

John Tiller's campaign series is from a company or platoon stand point but is a great game. Matrix sells it with all the add ons etc. as one game.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 5:35:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

SPWAW can work on Windows 7 - are you unable to get it working?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 4
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:20:37 PM   
wodin

Erik...why oh why haven't you signed up someone or started the project in house already with a game thats a modernized Steel Panthers..do what you did with Panzer general into Panzer Corps.

It's the major thing thats missing and a huge whole in wargaming.

I' not talking 3D here or anything like that (though wego could be a new idea for it). I'm talking a detailed indepth tactical wargame in 2D top down but still looking awesome. CoH and LnL aren't it either..they haven't the detail of SP.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/28/2013 6:22:33 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:34:13 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Doesn't work for me. Graphics are all garbled. I don't have it installed at the moment, buy it was unplayable. I'll try again maybe this evening.

Post #: 6
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:38:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Erik...why oh why haven't you signed up someone or started the project in house already with a game thats a modernized Steel Panthers..do what you did with Panzer general into Panzer Corps.

I think Close Combat, COH and LNL actually do address that need for many, they are all great tactical wargames, but I also hear the point. We all want a new Steel Panthers as well. It will happen eventually but we want to make sure that when it does we do it right.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:39:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

Doesn't work for me. Graphics are all garbled. I don't have it installed at the moment, buy it was unplayable. I'll try again maybe this evening.

Did you read through this thread?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 8
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:45:45 PM   
vonRocko

Thanks Erik, I never saw that. I'll try it. Why not make a patch for computer illiterates like me?

Post #: 9
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:51:15 PM   
parusski

Erik Rutins makes a promise to parusski--
quote:

We all want a new Steel Panthers as well. It will happen eventually but we want to make sure that when it does we do it right.

Oh GOD, I just want to live long enough to see that.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to satch)
Post #: 10
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:52:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'd like to, even if only a small compatibility update - unfortunately our internal developer for Steel Panthers, who is a great guy and did fantastic work for us on many games, adopted a new religion years ago that forbade him working on wargames (I'm not joking). He's completely out of the industry at this point and he was the only one on our team who was comfortable enough with the code base to continue updating it. We do not list it in the store as compatible with newer operating systems specifically because development has ended and we don't want to mislead customers. It's worth noting that we originally released SPWAW back 2000 and updated it for many years afterwards.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/28/2013 7:12:46 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 11
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 6:59:56 PM   
vonRocko

WoW, well that explains that. I can't turn my head anymore without some religion getting in the way! But thanks for the explaination.

< Message edited by vonRocko -- 4/28/2013 7:00:30 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 8:58:54 PM   
wodin

Erik they are tactical games..but they don't fill the gap. They are and I hope good to great (LnL please be great) games but they aren't Steel Panthers. The boardgame mechanics of CoH and LnL and with regards to abstraction with losses etc make them totally different..and CC though touted as PC ASL was a great game but it wasn't like ASL nor catered for the ASL player being realtime.

We haven't had a detailed tactical top down wargame like Steel Panthers was\is...since Steel Panthers.

We want the tactical version of GGWITE...a monster tactical game..PC ASL but with individual loses rather than abstract half squads. Detailed TOE's and OOB's where the game expands for every nation and theatre. Throw in leaders from Squad to Coy to battalion (battalion and coy leaders being historical when known).Detailed Weapon systems\damage\breakdowns\repairs\light wounds\heavy wounds\medics\in depth air aspect for strafing and ground attacks\off map arty upto Karl mortars and Naval Guns\campaigns\persistent damage maps\casualty clearing stations\supply\detailed FOW options from none upto severe i.e including friendly\Runners\Messengers\Comm system modeling\multi level buildings above and below ground\sewers\SOP settings\Proper Ammo counts\ROF settings\fire and kindling\Frozen Rivers and Lakes which can be shattered with Arty during certain weather conditions\Rivers and lakes freeze over campaign days\weather condition's effect moral\Detailed Moral system\Combat Doctrines\Special Attacks\Formation movement\Hull down\Shoot and Scoot\Fire and Move\Combat Engineering (pre battle or during campaign games)\Amphibious Invasion\Assault boat river crossings\....

I could go on and on...all this could be done..and done in away that doesn't burden the player, the info is on hand, but all calculations under the hood.

quote:

quote:

I think Close Combat, COH and LNL actually do address that need for many, they are all great tactical wargames, but I also hear the point. We all want a new Steel Panthers as well. It will happen eventually but we want to make sure that when it does we do it right.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/28/2013 9:01:51 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 10:08:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, we want that too.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 10:57:38 PM   
wodin

Cool.

All that aslong as it's top down 2D turn based or initiative based or wego..not realtime nor 3D as it no longer counts

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/28/2013 10:59:31 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 11:04:49 PM   
rodney727

I tried playing this game with windows 7 but it just doesn't look right as units when they move simply disappear until they get to there stopping point. Any ideas how to fix this?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/28/2013 11:35:54 PM   
junk2drive

I came here in 2001 after reading PC Gamer and got SPWAW 7.1. I had a Windows 98SE with a 15" CRT monitor. Websites optimized for 800x600 finally got me to change. I found a used copy of Steel Panthers. Played that too as a comparison. Tried SPWW2 but didn't like the 640x480 and some of the gameplay differences. Played SPWAW to death until 2003 and moved on. I try it again now and then for nostalgia sake.

What SP had back then was a game that had never been made before. All of WWII and then some.

I fear that if someone remakes SP or makes a new SP style game, it will be fun for a quick bit, then a disappointment. Like dating an ex girlfriend.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 17
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 12:11:44 AM   
wodin

WinSPWW2 still has loads more to it than anything new..it's just the graphics that are very tired and become hard on the eyes..I don't want a clone..I want it and it expanded and looking good. I play WinSPWW2 in 1440x900 res.

How you could say that feature set mentioned above would be fun for just abit I've no idea. It's not exactly a clone of SP we want we want a game as detailed and indepth or more so than SP but with SP's gameplay.

Gameplay wise nothing at the tactical scale has touched it since including your beloved Battle Academy. Which is more abstract and far lighter than SP just has 3D cartoon graphics..so it looks abit more modern. It certainly isn't trying to do what SP tried to do and is def not the tactical game that those who want a new SP want. BA is more like a small scale Panzer Corps. Both light easy entry games.

So much could be done with BA but I think that would take it away from it's core audience. So best a game was designed from the ground up with the ASL and SP audience in mind.

When I boot up WinSPWW2 it still drags me in more than an other tactical game..it's time it was improved upon.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/29/2013 12:17:33 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 3:22:07 AM   
Perturabo

If you don't mind flexible RTwP, Armored Brigade is in similar scale and is free.

http://www.armoredbrigade.com/

I used to play it a lot for years before I got into Command Ops and fell in love with operational-scale warfare.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 7:11:51 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Gosh Erik..You know I love SPWAW as much as the next guy but as often as Windows changes, don't ya think it is time for a redo of the old girl. Workarounds do not get to everybody nor work for everybody..It's like we are back in the days of reworking our autoexec.bat and config.sys........

Post #: 20
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 7:35:39 PM   
rwenstrup

Although Steel Panthers has not had a current version for several years...there are still many fans who constantly talk about having this game updated. I'm simply amazed that we see countless games developed from scratch...with significant advertising, trade show visibility, discounts, etc. and this game...which clearly has a significant market demand...doesn't generate any development interest. The market for this game clearly justifies a new updated development.
I'm simply mystified by this...the demand is so obvious...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 21
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 7:42:51 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwenstrup

Although Steel Panthers has not had a current version for several years...there are still many fans who constantly talk about having this game updated. I'm simply amazed that we see countless games developed from scratch...with significant advertising, trade show visibility, discounts, etc. and this game...which clearly has a significant market demand...doesn't generate any development interest. The market for this game clearly justifies a new updated development.
I'm simply mystified by this...the demand is so obvious...

Rwenstrup,

I would love to see Steel Panthers updated as well. As long as TOAW is updated first. Herein, I suspect, is the problem.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 22
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 8:30:33 PM   
rwenstrup

Steel Panthers is still my favorite game...played last night...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 23
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/29/2013 8:35:25 PM   
shunwick

Rwenstrup,

I don't think Steel Panthers has ever been beaten at the tactical level. Playing TOAW III at the moment, and listening to some cool music.

All the best,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 24
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/30/2013 2:05:53 AM   
junk2drive

I bought the CD versions of WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT when they first came out years ago. I just downloaded the latest updates to both. The CD versions give you choices of screen resolution and a few other things including window mode or full screen. They also have an additional zoom in level although it is pixelated. People are still buying these and playing them. I prefer the game play of SPWAW but don't care for the 800x600 full screen.

I wish they could find a programmer that would work cheap or free on updating WAW. If you could work around the free agreement like Camo did, I think it would sell enough to justify it.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 25
RE: Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers tha... - 4/30/2013 2:17:52 AM   
Jamm

Downloaded it a few weeks ago to jog some memories, but my eyes started to bleed and had to delete.
A great system which definately needs some love,..

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-works/669418463128598?ref=bookmarks

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any recommendations for a fan of Steel Panthers that works on Win 7 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI